PDA

View Full Version : Hey New York, who pays for free college?

JustRalph
04-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Hillary is speaking at an event today that is tied to the "free college" movement in New York.

Can somebody explain "free college" to me?

johnhannibalsmith
04-12-2017, 12:07 PM
No but the best story I've read on the matter was detailing how it was a 'bait and switch' by compromising with a requirement that recipients remain in NYS for a period equal to their time spent in 'free' SUNY. How do you even want to try to give people like this what they clamor for without a regard for reality if they balk at the idea of the state recouping some amount of the investment through payroll, sales, gasoline, and all the other trillions of NYS taxes? Yet, it is perfectly reasonable to expect NYS citizens to pay for your education in computers so you can relocate to Silicone Valley a week after graduation and bolster their state on NYS nickel.

FantasticDan
04-12-2017, 12:08 PM
It's not "free college", it's free tuition. And it's being paid for by NYS allocating more of its budget toward higher education. One of the conditions of the "Excelsior Scholarship" is that students who accept it must live and work in NYS after school for two or fours years, depending on their degree. If they don't, the scholarship becomes a loan and must be paid back to NYS.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/10/pf/college/suny-cuny-tuition-free-college/

Clocker
04-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Hillary is speaking at an event today that is tied to the "free college" movement in New York.

Can somebody explain "free college" to me?

It works just like free health care. Got it?

Actor
04-12-2017, 12:32 PM
It works just like free health care. Got it?They have both in Sweden.

Clocker
04-12-2017, 12:51 PM
They have both in Sweden.

And the top marginal income tax bracket is 57%. And they have a 25% VAT.

Economics 101: TANSTAAFL

Actor
04-12-2017, 01:09 PM
And the top marginal income tax bracket is 57%. And they have a 25% VAT.And there's your answer to who pays for it. :coffee:

boxcar
04-12-2017, 01:21 PM
And there's your answer to who pays for it. :coffee:

Yes, sir! Let's do the Nanny Welfare State bigger than ever!

JustRalph
04-12-2017, 05:12 PM
And the top marginal income tax bracket is 57%. And they have a 25% VAT.

Economics 101: TANSTAAFL

Don't forget almost no military. Anyone could invade and takeover

GaryG
04-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Don't forget almost no military. Anyone could invade and takeoverI think the refugees just did...

chadk66
04-12-2017, 06:03 PM
major redistribution of wealth coming for the Empire state. Just in time to get Hillary elected governor or mayor of NYC. Take your pick :rant:

Tom
04-12-2017, 08:11 PM
I think the refugees just did...

Far worse than the refugees was the invasion of the Cuomo clan.

Worst thing to ever happen to NYS what that family of lying thieves moving here.

Corruption is spelled C-u-o-m-o.

Ocala Mike
04-12-2017, 08:23 PM
I don't know when it ended, but for quite a few years, tuition at the City University of New York Schools (CCNY, Brooklyn College, Queens College, and Hunter College) was absolutely free to all NYC high school graduates with a qualifying academic average. I attended Queens from 1959-1963 on the cuff, and even received a NY State Regents Scholarship which paid for my fees and books with a little left over for an occasional foray to the Big A! What a country!

Incidentally, that radio proponent of conservatism, Michael Weiner (Savage) also was a QC graduate on the taxpayer's dime, but he doesn't talk much about that.

Tom
04-12-2017, 08:30 PM
To answer the question for who pays - the GD taxpayers pay for it. Nothing else it true.

End of story.

MutuelClerk
04-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Pay????? Good one. Haven't you seen the debt? No one pays for anything here. Make it all free. And what little does get paid will be done by the middle class. Paid? You guys crack me up......

kingfin66
04-12-2017, 09:26 PM
It's not "free college", it's free tuition. And it's being paid for by NYS allocating more of its budget toward higher education. One of the conditions of the "Excelsior Scholarship" is that students who accept it must live and work in NYS after school for two or fours years, depending on their degree. If they don't, the scholarship becomes a loan and must be paid back to NYS.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/10/pf/college/suny-cuny-tuition-free-college/

Isn't that getting a little bit heavy into semantics?

Tom
04-12-2017, 09:37 PM
When you live in NYS, the armpit of the nation, you understand that without horrendous tax rates, to use the word FREE is the epitome of stupid.

dkithore
04-13-2017, 11:25 AM
They have both in Sweden.
Ah, now I understand why Muslim refugees want to go to Sweden. For free goodies. And freedom to rape and plunder. Like in dark ages. Sorry I digress.

FantasticDan
04-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Isn't that getting a little bit heavy into semantics?It's "heavy into semantics" to call it free tuition instead of free college? I'd call it more like.. specifics? :cool:

It's not free college because SUNY residents still have to pay $13K in room and board, and $3K in other required student fees. Not to mention books and other required supplies.

Even with the tuition being covered, it still costs a lot to go to college.

OntheRail
04-13-2017, 12:19 PM
It's "heavy into semantics" to call it free tuition instead of free college? I'd call it more like.. specifics? :cool:

It's not free college because SUNY residents still have to pay $13K in room and board, and $3K in other required student fees. Not to mention books and other required supplies.

Don't fear the Grumberment is Near.
Can't afford room and board... get it here
Can't afford food or ID... line to the left.
Can't afford books and an I-phone S12. with safe space locator and where's the party app. round back.

Cause we got a program for dat...

kingfin66
04-13-2017, 11:01 PM
It's "heavy into semantics" to call it free tuition instead of free college? I'd call it more like.. specifics? :cool:

Yes, it certainly does. I agree with you about a lot of things, especially social issues, but unfortunately this is a fiscal issue and I just can't go along. There are a few reasons why I think that college should not be free for all.

First, and foremost, free is not really free. Somebody has to pay.

Second, not everybody belongs in college. Many do not get into 4-year schools immediately, but they occupy seats somewhere. Ultimately, the doers will succeed and get through school.

I also happen to think that students should be involved in acquiring their own education. Why can't kids and adults who want an education help pay for it on their own. The entitlement aspect of education baffles me. I actually think, and I'll bet there are probably studies to prove this, that people do better in school when they own their education.

So, semantics aside (or specifics), I do think that the cost of education should be more accessible, but there is no way I think it should be free, even if it is only tuition.

Tom
04-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Sharp post, kingfin.:ThmbUp:

Curious there is a problem with mixing up college with tuition, but not batting an eye at the 100% falese term FREE! :pound:

Maybe we need a new term when on group gets a pass on paying while another gets stuck with the bill.

How about "out-saddling?"

dkithore
04-15-2017, 10:10 AM
As a member of the middle class families, we paid for our son and a daughter's four year college and for post graduate work they secured and paid for loans. That is why I do not understand politicians encouraging entitlements for the new generation whether New York or any other states. Sanders and Cuomo belong to the same ilk. Let someone else pay for free stuff mentality is very un-american. Protestant work ethic is fading. self-reliance and self-effort are mere concepts. What is happening to our country is sad.

kingfin66
04-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Need based financial aid is, in my opinion, very American and very much needed. The cost of a college education has increased significantly over the years. This puts much more burden on middle class families such as yours and mine. I hope that you are not referring to financial aid itself as an entitlement? What I think is important is for people to have the opportunity to go to college, not have it paid for. While I think that students should be invested in their education, I do not think that loans should cripple them financially for life. It is a personal choice, but still...

Tom
04-15-2017, 03:51 PM
So instead of free, make it so that you pay back depending on your grades.

You get D's, you pay back 150%.
You get C's, you pay it all back.
You get B's, you pay back half.
You get A's, you pay back 25%.

So if you go to college and spend your time protesting, you pay it all back plus a penalty for wasting everyone's time.

Clocker
04-15-2017, 03:53 PM
So instead of free, make it so that you pay back depending on your grades.

Make it so you don't have to pay it back if you get a degree that makes you employable and a tax payer.

chadk66
04-15-2017, 07:02 PM
the ease of financial aid has allowed universities to raise tuition to an insane level. it's really how it has become in the auto and recreation business too. ten year loans on boats and fifteen on campers. it's all about the monthly payment now days.