VigorsTheGrey
04-12-2017, 02:43 AM
POOLS

Exacta-27,249
Trifecta-21,573
Superfecta-14,717
Quinella-1,299
Double-5,645

wow, hard to believe that only 1 (1-3) quinella was sold..!

cj
04-12-2017, 12:36 PM
I can't believe they still offer a quinella.

upthecreek
04-12-2017, 12:52 PM
I can't believe they still offer a quinella.
One thing I did pick up from Toddtvg take advantage of races w/quinella's
Bet the exacta combo you like straight & then play the quinella Say your only a $2 bettor, your outlay is $ 4 , with a chance to cash 2x Same outlay in an exacta box, you can only cash once

cj
04-12-2017, 01:24 PM
One thing I did pick up from Toddtvg take advantage of races w/quinella's
Bet the exacta combo you like straight & then play the quinella Say your only a $2 bettor, your outlay is $ 4 , with a chance to cash 2x Same outlay in an exacta box, you can only cash once

You can do the same thing with the exacta. $1 exacta box, straight $2 exacta.

upthecreek
04-12-2017, 01:35 PM
You can do the same thing with the exacta. $1 exacta box, straight $2 exacta.
True but what pays more $1 exacta or $2 quinella? Possibly a wash

AltonKelsey
04-12-2017, 01:51 PM
the Q is huge in Hong Kong, but they don't offer an exacta. Kind of strange, I suspect it's an attempt to NOT cannibalize the win pool . Successful , I'd say.

They really should dump it here.

upthecreek
04-12-2017, 02:31 PM
R2 Aqu. $1 exacta $36.50. $2 Quinella $36.40

cj
04-12-2017, 03:44 PM

Yeah, you have to check the pools. The Q pools are usually smaller so they can be pretty volatile after the bell rings.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-12-2017, 03:57 PM

Here's what I've found. When the first two choices come in in order, the quinella might be marginally better than the $1 exacta, but the difference is fairly irrelevant. When the favorites run out, the exacta is usually the better bet by far. When the favorite comes under a longer priced horse, the exacta almost always is the better bet. When the favorite wins, the exacta and quinella are often a wash. In almost every instance you are as well or better off with the exacta box. The quinella is a psychological bet, and I've argued for a very long time that there should be no quinellas offered.

green80
04-12-2017, 04:55 PM
POOLS

Exacta-27,249
Trifecta-21,573
Superfecta-14,717
Quinella-1,299
Double-5,645

I was playing WRD yesterday, Euroncall was Platinum's top late horse and also it's top power horse so I played him to win. Hairy win machine was rated 3rd late. Rumor is some Platinum user just boxed the top 3 late horses:D:D

MonmouthParkJoe
04-12-2017, 06:04 PM
I cant tell you how many quinella tickets being punched I would hear from my office. All the rage in AZ

Track Phantom
04-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Why would a track offer a meaningless but that is a duplication of another bet? If anything, why not try to reduce betting options to expand the pool?

HalvOnHorseracing
04-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Why would a track offer a meaningless but that is a duplication of another bet? If anything, why not try to reduce betting options to expand the pool?

Exactly what I've been saying.

johnhannibalsmith
04-13-2017, 12:49 AM
I cant tell you how many quinella tickets being punched I would hear from my office. All the rage in AZ

Errr, maybe in Tucson. But, just looking back to yesterday's card at TuP, quinella wagering barely broke $25,000 for the eight races combined on the card while the exacta pools eclipsed $300,000. ( don't double-check my math, I just added in my head scanning down the chart :) )

I assume the bet sticks around because it can't be proven that the money in those pools will voyage into other pools rather than vanish completely without the Q.

upthecreek
04-13-2017, 06:56 AM
If I did the math correctly, the $2 Quinella paid more than the $1 exacta in 5 out of 8 races
yesterday @ Tup

CincyHorseplayer
04-13-2017, 10:10 AM
I think Will Rogers is a cool little track. And you can get prices there unlike many small tracks. I killed them last April and have 2 double digit winners in less than a dozen bets this year.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Errr, maybe in Tucson. But, just looking back to yesterday's card at TuP, quinella wagering barely broke $25,000 for the eight races combined on the card while the exacta pools eclipsed $300,000. ( don't double-check my math, I just added in my head scanning down the chart :) )

I assume the bet sticks around because it can't be proven that the money in those pools will voyage into other pools rather than vanish completely without the Q.

In 1983 Arapahoe Park opened for its first year of racing after Centennial Race Track closed. They decided to do away with the quinella and institute a $1 exacta box. It turned out to be a one year experiment. Speculation at that time was that the quinella was king - I don't even think they had exactas - at the dog track, and no amount of explaining was going to convince the dog bettors (horses were during the day, dogs at night) that racing could live without the quinella.

I think the explanation is simpler. At a lot of the smaller tracks, especially in the West, the quinella was tradition. I just don't think they are ready to break with tradition.

MonmouthParkJoe
04-13-2017, 10:54 AM

My thought is the perceived value of being half the cost. Most down here are literally $2 bettors. That being said, I dont think I have ever played a quinella.

johnhannibalsmith
04-13-2017, 11:30 AM
In 1983 Arapahoe Park opened for its first year of racing after Centennial Race Track closed. They decided to do away with the quinella and institute a $1 exacta box. It turned out to be a one year experiment. Speculation at that time was that the quinella was king - I don't even think they had exactas - at the dog track, and no amount of explaining was going to convince the dog bettors (horses were during the day, dogs at night) that racing could live without the quinella.

I think the explanation is simpler. At a lot of the smaller tracks, especially in the West, the quinella was tradition. I just don't think they are ready to break with tradition.

I think the last few posts on the topic get to the same general answer: there is still a contingent that prefer the quinella and view playing the exacta in much the same way they view smartphones replacing land lines. One of my favorite people, a guy I have referenced here before as Crazy John, would get irate when a track didn't offer a quinella. "John, just box a $1 exacta...". "If I wanted to play a ******* exacta, I'd play the ******* exacta!"

Over and over again. He wouldn't play the exacta, he'd play the next track that offered a quinella.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-13-2017, 11:41 AM
If I did the math correctly, the $2 Quinella paid more than the $1 exacta in 5 out of 8 races
yesterday @ Tup

April 11

Race 1 $1e $7.50 $2Q $7.00 (Fav was second)
Race 2 $1e $17.50 $2Q $21 (2nd and 3rd choices)
Race 3 $1e $19.90 $2Q $16.60 (Fav was second)
Race 4 $1e $60 $2Q $92.80 (Fav ran out, 40-1 second)
Race 5 $1e $13.80 $2Q $14 (top two choices)
Race 6 $1e $17.30 $2Q $17.80 (2nd and 3rd choices)
Race 7 $1e $28.70 $2Q $17.40 (Fav was second)
Race 8 $1e $30.10 $2Q $42.60 (Fav ran out, long shot second)

Essentially, the $1e and $2Q were equivalent in three races, the e was better in 2 races, the Q was better in 3 races. The Q was only measurably better in two races, and in both of those cases the favorite ran out and a long shot ran second. Races where the favorite ran second, we would expect the $1e to pay a little more than the $2Q, and it did.

The explanation I gave in post 10 generally holds true, but JHS is right that at tracks like TuP the difference in pool size can cause inefficiency. I think tracks keep the Q in some odd effort to please the small bettors who have bet quinellas all their lives and would threaten to withhold their $2 bet if the track forced them into the exacta pool. It's hard to get excited about the quinella at TuP seriously cannibalizing the exacta, but it is indicative of what I believe is a real problem - too many pools per race.