PDA

View Full Version : Practical Joke

PowerUpPaynter
04-11-2017, 12:03 PM
I wanted to post my notes on this horse and get some feed back as I write a derby preview for a website I contribute to. Thanks in advance.

you’ve probably heard, his pedigree suggest he can’t get the distance. Right? Well not so fast. Since the fall all we’ve all been waiting for him to fall by the waste side of the derby trail as the races keep getting longer and all he has done is continue to finish in the money. In his 6 career races he has 3 wins, 2 places, and a show. He is a gutsy horse that keeps performing better than his pedigree suggest he should. He comes into the Derby with a 2nd place finish in the Bluegrass Stakes. He proved he could get a mile and an eighth with out losing ground in the stretch but at the same time he could not pass Irap, a maiden that came home in 13 flat in his last 8th. In his first start as a 3 year old he had a second place finish in the Fountain Of Youth Stakes on March 4th run at a mile and a sixteenth. So as the races get longer he keeps running good races. He is a nimble horse and can keep himself out of traffic trouble which is a major plus for the derby. If you knew nothing about any of the horses running and could only see a picture of each horse he probably would be the favorite. He is a physically imposing muscled colt. He has had a good amount of top horses finish behind him to the likes of McCraken, Irish War Cry, Tapwrit, J Boys Echo, and Gormley, which is being overlooked. Although I don’t think it's an impossibility, I don’t think he will win but I expect him to run a good race and will use him heavy underneath on exotic tickets and if the distance concerns finally come to fruition, so be it. I don’t want to be the guy at the roulette table that keeps betting on red because black keeps coming out only to lose all my chips.

Mr. Pick 5
04-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Put the content aside for a second....if you are submitting this to some kind of legitimate horse site as a piece i must say that the overall writing quality is pretty poor

PowerUpPaynter
04-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Put the content aside for a second....if you are submitting this to some kind of legitimate horse site as a piece i must say that the overall writing quality is pretty poor

obviously, not any type of final piece just some rough notes in a very rough draft off the top of my head, more so just looking on the feedback on the content and thoughts on the horse.

Mr. Pick 5
04-11-2017, 12:26 PM
obviously, not any type of final piece just some rough notes in a very rough draft off the top of my head, more so just looking on the feedback on the content and thoughts on the horse.

Gotcha...makes sense....i personally dont like him that much especially because, as you said couldnt go past irap in a slow final eighth...i also think irap was on the wrong lead for the majority of the stretch...not exactly reassuring....at the same time you bring up a good point that he does always find a way to hit the board no matter who he is facing....the extra distance is a definite question mark but thats also the case for almost every horse in the race....third or fourth maybe but i cant see him running top two....if i had to guess where practical joke would finish i would guess in the 5-8 range but hitting the board would be far from a surprise...if he got first or second id be pretty surprised

letswastemoney
04-11-2017, 12:56 PM
It's not the pedigree at this point. It's just the results. He makes a looming move and doesn't finish the job, although he almost did against Irap.

Maybe Practical Joke would be a good horse to key in a backwheel, although he's a bit too popular.

f2tornado
04-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Storm Cat sire line wins at 10+ panels are about as rare as rainbow colored unicorns. Further, 4 dosage points doesn't scream stamina. This horse does have Contess Wanda in tail female, the same tail as Derby winners Swaps and Iron Liege so he's perhaps not completely devoid of stamina. I believe he took advantage of a relatively paceless race and would have a much tougher time catching up with early heat going even farther.

Andrick
04-12-2017, 01:23 AM
It seems like I saw this guy run last year going under the name of Whitmore.

boys at tosconova
04-12-2017, 02:22 AM
1st thing- paragraphs. i didn't even want to read what you wrote bunched together.
if this is going to be online try writing something that nobody knows. not repeating the same stuff you can hear at any racing website. try not to write and such a basic/high level for grannies that has never seen any of these horses run

you’ve probably heard, his pedigree suggest he can’t get the distance. Right? Well not so fast. Since the fall all we’ve all been waiting for him to fall by the waste side of the derby trail as the races keep getting longer and all he has done is continue to finish in the money.

wordy/fluff-rephrase fewer or axe completely

In his 6 career races he has 3 wins, 2 places, and a show. He is a gutsy horse that keeps performing better than his pedigree suggest he should.-expand move something here-i like the pedigree tidbit

He comes into the Derby with a 2nd place finish in the Bluegrass Stakes.-maybe talk about horses he raced against here..not just 1 race

He proved he could get a mile and an eighth with out losing ground in the stretch but at the same time he could not pass Irap, a maiden that came home in 13 flat in his last 8th. shorten/rephrase

In his first start as a 3 year old he had a second place finish in the Fountain Of Youth Stakes on March 4th run at a mile and a sixteenth. So as the races get longer he keeps running good races. really.? i don;t even think this true imo. + every race as been good. axe

He is a nimble horse and can keep himself out of traffic trouble which is a major plus for the derby. If you knew nothing about any of the horses running and could only see a picture of each horse he probably would be the favorite. He is a physically imposing muscled colt haskin fluff/wordy/really? i see one short sentence or axe.

He has had a good amount of top horses finish behind him to the likes of McCraken, Irish War Cry, Tapwrit, J Boys Echo, and Gormley, which is being overlooked. what?? rephrase/use in another expounded point or axe

Although I don’t think it's an impossibility, rephrase I don’t think he will win but I expect him to run a good race really?/wishy washy/? he can't win but could finish itm?..take the win equation out/rephrase?,

and will use him heavy underneath on exotic tickets and if the distance concerns finally come to fruition, so be it.-rephrase/add to above thought

I don’t want to be the guy at the roulette table that keeps betting on red because black keeps coming out only to lose all my chips.
axe

PowerUpPaynter
04-12-2017, 09:11 AM
1st thing- paragraphs. i didn't even want to read what you wrote bunched together.
if this is going to be online try writing something that nobody knows. not repeating the same stuff you can hear at any racing website. try not to write and such a basic/high level for grannies that has never seen any of these horses run

you’ve probably heard, his pedigree suggest he can’t get the distance. Right? Well not so fast. Since the fall all we’ve all been waiting for him to fall by the waste side of the derby trail as the races keep getting longer and all he has done is continue to finish in the money.

wordy/fluff-rephrase fewer or axe completely

In his 6 career races he has 3 wins, 2 places, and a show. He is a gutsy horse that keeps performing better than his pedigree suggest he should.-expand move something here-i like the pedigree tidbit

He comes into the Derby with a 2nd place finish in the Bluegrass Stakes.-maybe talk about horses he raced against here..not just 1 race

He proved he could get a mile and an eighth with out losing ground in the stretch but at the same time he could not pass Irap, a maiden that came home in 13 flat in his last 8th. shorten/rephrase

In his first start as a 3 year old he had a second place finish in the Fountain Of Youth Stakes on March 4th run at a mile and a sixteenth. So as the races get longer he keeps running good races. really.? i don;t even think this true imo. + every race as been good. axe

He is a nimble horse and can keep himself out of traffic trouble which is a major plus for the derby. If you knew nothing about any of the horses running and could only see a picture of each horse he probably would be the favorite. He is a physically imposing muscled colt haskin fluff/wordy/really? i see one short sentence or axe.

He has had a good amount of top horses finish behind him to the likes of McCraken, Irish War Cry, Tapwrit, J Boys Echo, and Gormley, which is being overlooked. what?? rephrase/use in another expounded point or axe

Although I don’t think it's an impossibility, rephrase I don’t think he will win but I expect him to run a good race really?/wishy washy/? he can't win but could finish itm?..take the win equation out/rephrase?,

and will use him heavy underneath on exotic tickets and if the distance concerns finally come to fruition, so be it.-rephrase/add to above thought

I don’t want to be the guy at the roulette table that keeps betting on red because black keeps coming out only to lose all my chips.
axe

I was just running on thoughts off the top of my head. finish version will be much shorter and streamlined. I just wanted to throw some quick thoughts out about the horse and get a conversation started about him.

arw629
04-12-2017, 11:35 PM

Heavy underneath on exotics but not on top? So you're betting him to beat 18,17, or 16 horses but not 19? Why do you like him underneath so much?

PowerUpPaynter
04-13-2017, 07:22 AM
I see him has a horse that isnt good enough to win it but at the same time he is a gutsy horse that can outrun his pedigree and consitanty finish in the money and a nimbble or agile horse that can navigate a good trip. Remind me of Musket Man from 2009.

I just think he is being dismissed on pedigree alone but I see a fighter with a ton of heart.... helps that he is built like a beast too

Spalding No!
04-13-2017, 10:04 AM
I just think he is being dismissed on pedigree alone but I see a fighter with a ton of heart.... helps that he is built like a beast too
He's mostly being dismissed, not because of pedigree, but because of presumed distance limitations. Part of the proof would indeed be pedigree--which is laden with nothing but sprinter/milers on the female side, but the most obvious evidence is his patented "rally and hang" running style.

He will be devastating at 7f. If he doesn't get hurt, you can put him down for the King's Bishop this summer.

Also, if he is heavily built that is often associated with a sprinter-type physique not particularly conducive for stamina events.

PowerUpPaynter
04-13-2017, 10:24 AM
He's mostly being dismissed, not because of pedigree, but because of presumed distance limitations. Part of the proof would indeed be pedigree--which is laden with nothing but sprinter/milers on the female side, but the most obvious evidence is his patented "rally and hang" running style.

He will be devastating at 7f. If he doesn't get hurt, you can put him down for the King's Bishop this summer.

Also, if he is heavily built that is often associated with a sprinter-type physique not particularly conducive for stamina events.

I hear all that and im not saying im a Practical Joke superfan but dismissing him could be a mistake. He has an impressive list of colts he has put in his rear view mirror.

Spalding No!
04-13-2017, 10:29 AM
I hear all that and im not saying im a Practical Joke superfan but dismissing him could be a mistake. He has an impressive list of colts he has put in his rear view mirror.
I agree with your opinion that he is a threat at least for a minor award. He is a top class horse and has a good turn of foot and should make his presence felt at some point in the race. He basically needs a well-timed ride.

yankeelpn
04-13-2017, 11:54 AM
He reminds me of "Musket Man" 3rd in the 2009 KD, always constant in races and one I wouldnt leave out of the Super.

Golf man
04-13-2017, 02:43 PM
I like his development. consider his graded races where he has made ground on the leaders, passed others and then faded. His speed seems to be carrying further in each race and it looks like his is on target to improve again at CD. All of that being said it looks to me like a ton of improvement will be needed to keep up with Always Dreaming, Irap and Three Rules early next month

rsetup
04-13-2017, 10:21 PM
I like his development. consider his graded races where he has made ground on the leaders, passed others and then faded. His speed seems to be carrying further in each race and it looks like his is on target to improve again at CD. All of that being said it looks to me like a ton of improvement will be needed to keep up with Always Dreaming, Irap and Three Rules early next month

No context?

Golf man
04-14-2017, 08:16 PM
Sorry, I couldn't make my screen shot bigger.

On 11/5 at the BC he ran 7-7-6-3 before finishing 3rd, and was 4.5-2.25-2.75-4-7.75 llengths behind

On 3/4/17 he ran 7-6-3-3, before finishing 2nd and was 7.5-7.5-2-0.50-5.75

And on 4/8/17 he ran 4-4-3-2, finishing 2nd, and was 2.5-1.5-1.5-0.75 behind.

The race on 3/4 was the same pattern run by Orb in the Derby prior to winning the Preakness. He is running closer to the pace and making up lengths, two good items to consider.

Still, he needs to get better.

PowerUpPaynter
04-14-2017, 08:36 PM
Sorry, I couldn't make my screen shot bigger.

On 11/5 at the BC he ran 7-7-6-3 before finishing 3rd, and was 4.5-2.25-2.75-4-7.75 llengths behind

On 3/4/17 he ran 7-6-3-3, before finishing 2nd and was 7.5-7.5-2-0.50-5.75

And on 4/8/17 he ran 4-4-3-2, finishing 2nd, and was 2.5-1.5-1.5-0.75 behind.

The race on 3/4 was the same pattern run by Orb in the Derby prior to winning the Preakness. He is running closer to the pace and making up lengths, two good items to consider.

Still, he needs to get better.

orb didnt win the preakness

Golf man
04-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Sorry, my bad, I meant the other "O" horse, Oxbow

PowerUpPaynter
04-21-2017, 10:03 AM
https://twitter.com/DRFRusso/status/855400101531004928

his muscles have muscles.

f2tornado
04-21-2017, 01:29 PM
I'm starting to like this one at least as a price play for the bottom of my exotics. He gets a very capable Derby winning rider assuming Rosario remains the pilot. Chad Brown also has a knack of hitting 3rd off a layoff. This horse also has Countess Wanda in tail female which might boost the stamina in an otherwise lackluster dosage line. I like how his E1 and E2 Brisnet pace figures line up well with Derby pars. I also like the consistent speed figures. You know what's likely to show up. Further, his 99 final Brisnet figure last out beats most of these.

I do not like Storm Cat on top. For that alone, I will let this horse beat me in the win department. I do not like his Brisnet LP figures. Most Derby winners will have a 95+ in a route. He has a 93 last out. This is further supported by his fair but unimpressive closing fractions. I do not like his meager dosage numbers. Sure, Nyquist had nothing there either but that horse had proven brilliant speed in what I believe was a much weaker class to this bunch.

Overall, a legit trifecta bomber.

PowerUpPaynter
04-21-2017, 03:15 PM
How much do you think it matters Practical Joke has the most impressive list of horses he has put in his rear view mirror? And its not even close. Overlooked stat or irrelevant?

rsetup
04-21-2017, 03:29 PM
How much do you think it matters Practical Joke has the most impressive list of horses he has put in his rear view mirror? And its not even close. Overlooked stat or irrelevant?

I came across an interesting passage the other day. Something about touching different parts of an elephant but not be able to 'see the whole picture'.

Robert Fischer
04-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Practical Joke is tempting to like. Does a lot well. Has a bunch of upgrade races.

I feel like there was a point in the Champagne that he was supposed to roll on by Syndergaard. I feel like there was a point in the Bluegrass that he was supposed to roll on by Irap.

Sometimes disadvantages and trips can hide faults as well as they hide talents.

Seems like he can be close, perhaps even strike the front at the top of the stretch. Depending on the race shape, could hang on for a piece.

Lemon Drop Husker
04-21-2017, 10:21 PM
He had the perfect set. The perfect post, the perfect everything for him in the Blue Grass.

And he couldn't run down a Maiden.

Hey, I know Irap may turn out to be a multiple $50K stakes winner, but we are talking about the KD. Complete toss.

rsetup
04-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Practical Joke is tempting to like. Does a lot well. Has a bunch of upgrade races.

I feel like there was a point in the Champagne that he was supposed to roll on by Syndergaard.

I feel like there was a point in the Bluegrass that he was supposed to roll on by Irap.

Help me out, Fischer. Give an example of another horse that 'roll[ed] on' by a horse that was ahead of it while being severely HERDED. Point me to a replay, please.

Question as to the Bluegrass evaluation: If he was 'supposed to roll on by Irap' why didn't McCraken 'roll by' both of them? McCraken moved after PJ did. Did PJ not soften up the maiden enough for McCraken to go by? In fact, McRaken backed up the last call. Other than for PJ, the race was a wipeout.

Robert Fischer
04-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Help me out, Fischer. Give an example of another horse that 'roll[ed] on' by a horse that was ahead of it while being severely HERDED. Point me to a replay, please.

Question as to the Bluegrass evaluation: If he was 'supposed to roll on by Irap' why didn't McCraken 'roll by' both of them? McCraken moved after PJ did. Did PJ not soften up the maiden enough for McCraken to go by? In fact, McRaken backed up the last call. Other than for PJ, the race was a wipeout.

Syndergaard did all the running and was done. Practical Joke got a good setup.
(IMO) It should never have been a stretch duel in the first place, to get to the herding point. Maybe I underestimate Syndergaard that day... Once they actually engaged in a head-to-head duel, yes Johnny V herded as much as he could to keep them engaged.

The Bluegrass was very kind to the winner.
Leparoux positioned the winner properly and moved at the correct time to take the initiative.
Rosario seemed oblivious to the impending slow pace and opted to settle-back on the (1st)turn. Then he decided to rush up into position, and stop again..., and then chase the winner home.
Maybe Rosario was doing the compare-to-McCraken thing?? Sit near McCraken's flank, move up to box in McCraken and to have first run on McCraken. Best explanation for that ride I can come up with without using expletives.

Even with that 'silliness', I felt Practical Joke should have ran down the leader. Maybe I'm wrong and the setup was just so negative to a move in the stretch, but visually I thought he should have been able to get a head/neck in front.

Wasn't high on McCraken, I thought the setup would favor speed, and I think Practical Joke is better than McCraken.

I don't like Mccrackin here. I think he'll run 3rd, maybe 2nd. You want this solid closer to win, Brian better skim the rail or something. He's not circling this slow pace, and nobody is getting out of gear trying to worry about Wild Shot.

Give me Tapwrit on top with a little Practical Joke sprinkled in. Strictly win and multi's here. No value in the exacta/tri if Mccrackin fills that spot.

Before Todd started popping off with everything, I thought Tapwrit was an interesting Derby exotics look. He's kind of a goofball until they turn for home, and then he's building momentum through the stretch.

Practical Joke has a chance here.
Some similarity to the hyped horse in NY Cloud Computing. Wasn't as good as Gunnevera, but ran well in the FOY. Better than Mccrackin.

Robert Fischer
04-22-2017, 12:43 PM
Maybe I'm wrong and the setup was just so negative to a move in the stretch...

If you do take the stance that the setup was ultra-powerful in the Bluegrass, J Boys Echo quietly showed a pulse in the stretch.

yankeelpn
04-22-2017, 08:54 PM
If you do take the stance that the setup was ultra-powerful in the Bluegrass, J Boys Echo quietly showed a pulse in the stretch.

My bomber in the KD!

Robert Fischer
04-22-2017, 09:25 PM
My bomber in the KD!

His Gotham was better than he was given credit for. Heard every excuse in the book including how cloud computing was a bit closer to the pace, and how Cloud Computing was very inexperienced, etc.… J Boy got a great setup in the Gotham, but he was professional.

Delta Jackpot (vs Gunnevera) was a tough trip.

If you buy that the Bluegrass was extremely biased against closers, may be able to draw a line through it.

Tom
04-26-2017, 07:17 PM
I think he is a major player.....in the Amsterdam.

Dream_Police
04-27-2017, 10:04 AM
Practical Joke was out Tuesday and he was impressing those around for the 8:00 training session. I am liking him more and more now that I have gotten to see him over the oval here at Churchill. Looks as if he is enjoying his stay here.

yankeelpn
04-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Practical Joke was out Tuesday and he was impressing those around for the 8:00 training session. I am liking him more and more now that I have gotten to see him over the oval here at Churchill. Looks as if he is enjoying his stay here.

I like him also, but the added Blinkers worries me!

PowerUpPaynter
05-02-2017, 12:59 PM
https://twitter.com/HorseGirlAmy/status/859426577314185219

PowerUpPaynter
05-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Is it fair to say he has been the most consistent horse since last summer/fall? Don't think he has had any hiccups and has consistently run good races.

Parson
05-03-2017, 03:36 PM
I got a few pics yesterday morning

Parson
05-03-2017, 03:38 PM

Parson
05-03-2017, 03:40 PM

Parson
05-03-2017, 03:42 PM

Valuist
05-03-2017, 04:37 PM
I cannot imagine this horse will be 20-1. Yes, the post sucks but is there a better trainer at getting a horse to win long than Chad Brown?