PDA

View Full Version : Equibase and accuracy

Valuist
07-30-2004, 09:40 AM
I know there was another thread on this recently. If you have a Brisbet account or Race Replays account, check out the winning margin in yesterday's 9th race at Arlington. The track announcer called in 7 lengths; it could've been 9 or 10 lengths when he crossed the wire. Then check the Equibase chart: it says a 1.5 length win! This is a huge mistake and I have to wonder how many more are like it:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbChartResultsDisplay.cfm?TRK=AP&CY=USA&DATE=07/29/2004&STYLE=EQB

ranchwest
07-31-2004, 08:06 AM
If you report it to Equibase, it is possible to get it corrected. I started a thread on one here a couple of years ago and they eventually corrected it. This causes every horse but the front runner to have a huge error in their calculated times.

PaceAdvantage
07-31-2004, 10:32 PM
Could the chart caller, or somone in Equibase's IT department be deliberately changing the beaten lengths in order to gain an edge at the windows?

An error like this has to make one wonder....

Figman
07-31-2004, 11:15 PM
Clicking on your supplied link it now reads "9" lengths as the winning margin in the AP 9th race on 7-29.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-31-2004, 11:19 PM
The chart callers made an unusual error, and typed the stretch call margins as the finish margins, instead of using the photo finish margins. They learned of the error when the arrived the next morning, and corrected it then, so the pps will come back correct in the future.

See the following thread for more info regarding which service's charts were correct and available online.

<http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13772>

The chart callers responded to a question on our local racing website, www.barntowire.com - the thread is titled 'Thursday's 9th Race' and gave the explaination and an appology. (Beware many of the other recent threads, we've been invavded with several new loose cannons and trolls within the last week that are causing a lot of aggravation.)

Steve 'StatMan'
07-31-2004, 11:27 PM
In a nutshell, if you got your equibase charts before they corrected it on Friday morning, you'll want to replace them

The DRF PDF's were also corrected, and same applies - if your winner shows 9 lengths, you have the correct one. If 1-3/4, that isn't corrected.

Brisnet and TSN charts were not corrected as of last night. Haven't checked yet.

I don't know if the Brisnet Data Files have been corrected yet or not. Same time-lines apply.

If you bought the datafiles and they aren't corrected, you may want to get the margins from the corrected charts and edit your data yourselves.

ranchwest
08-01-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Could the chart caller, or somone in Equibase's IT department be deliberately changing the beaten lengths in order to gain an edge at the windows?

An error like this has to make one wonder....

Yeah, it does look suspicious.

I'm not sure if we only notice large discrepancies or the most common errors are large ones, but most of the errors noted on this board seem to be large ones. I know the error I noted some time ago was significant, maybe 10 or so lengths, extreme "daylight" anyway.

Such an error can certainly alter the perspective of an uninformed handicapper.