PDA

View Full Version : Deshawn Parker

Peter Berry
04-04-2017, 06:21 PM
I just learned that perennial leading rider Deshawn Parker will not be based at Mountaineer this year, choosing instead to ride at Indiana Grand and Belterra. Hopefully, he'll still make the occasional appearance.

lamboguy
04-04-2017, 06:27 PM
does anyone happen to know the purse structure there this year?

Peter Berry
04-04-2017, 06:39 PM
I'm yet to see a condition book. All I know is the West Virginia Derby is still $750,000.

tcasolo
04-04-2017, 07:53 PM
I see that Parker has mounts at Keeneland opening day. That's a pretty tough group. Much tougher than Oaklawn where is is winning at 4%

arw629
04-04-2017, 08:42 PM
I wonder if an outsider might come in and try to be the next Parker at Mountaineer this year?

Murph
04-04-2017, 10:28 PM
I just learned that perennial leading rider Deshawn Parker will not be based at Mountaineer this year, choosing instead to ride at Indiana Grand and Belterra. Hopefully, he'll still make the occasional appearance.
Wow, more good news for Indiana racing. I'll look forward to see who he will be riding for when he arrives to the area. I hope the timing issue at Belterra does not come up again this meeting.

Peter Berry
04-05-2017, 08:31 AM
I wonder if an outsider might come in and try to be the next Parker at Mountaineer this year?
Probably Jaime Rodriguez. He's expected to ride for top trainer Eddie Clouston and owner Michelle Helms.

mountainman
04-05-2017, 09:26 AM

It's dependent on the number of days we race, which, believe it or not, has yet to be set in stone. In an historic first, horsemen want FEWER days than management has applied and planned for.

Ostensibly, the reason for this is to avoid further purse cuts (the first book incorporates a 10% decrease). But in my opinion, almighty Mahoning now factors heavily into our HBPA's position. Even Mnr trainers who cant hit the board in Austintown fantasize about bright futures there.

Tellingly, the 131 day season our horsemen now propose would conveniently clear the deck for Mahoning's opening day.

SuperPickle
04-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Probably Jaime Rodriguez. He's expected to ride for top trainer Eddie Clouston and owner Michelle Helms.

This sums it up. The only place in tougher straits than the Mountain is Finger Lakes so one of few people seeing the Mountain as an upgrade is a guy who rode at the Finger last year.

WoxFan
04-05-2017, 10:12 PM
I'm yet to see a condition book. All I know is the West Virginia Derby is still $750,000.

Condition book is available on equibase. Lots of 4k claimers with a puse of 5500 to 5800.

Murph
04-05-2017, 10:21 PM

Condition book is available on equibase. Lots of 4k claimers with a puse of 5500 to 5800.

OUCH! That's going to leave alot of 5K Starter Alw's going for 1% of the big purse.