PDA

View Full Version : Gotimer: Time for National Replay Center for Foul Claims and Inquiries

Andy Asaro
04-04-2017, 01:09 PM
http://www.pastthewire.com/national-replay-center/

Excerpt:

Taking the decision to disqualify horses from onsite stewards is a historical departure from tradition but one that offers numerous benefits and comes without undue cost. More uniformity in the area and the use of the best technology available will lead to greater confidence for the bettor and should in turn enhance handle for the participating tracks. It will also allow stewards to focus more on the areas that need governing that occur off track. It’s an idea whose time has come.

EasyGoer89
04-04-2017, 06:58 PM
I've been screaming about this for years. Why the need to have 'local stewards' make judgments on local participants isn't the best of ideas.

Also the best thing about a national center is no talking to jocks, if u can't make a DQ off tape leave the race as is, talking to jocks is bad for the player since some jocks can't speak good English and some are as smooth as silk, guys like Stevens, Mccarron and Bailey have probably gotten a few decisions over the years by their well spoken nature, that's not something we need in the game.

The naysayers might say what if there's a few inquiries all at the same time and to that I would say I'll wait as long as it takes to get it right and keep it CONSISTENT.

(Consistent to me is PAY THE WINNERS unless it's a severe or obvious takedown, it also needs to be unanimous to dq, if not unanimous, you pay the winners and defer to the horse who actually crossed the line first)

Dave Schwartz
04-04-2017, 07:11 PM
One of the many great ideas that will never happen because there is no REAL national tbred organization that is in charge of anything.

And if there was, the first thing they would do is to agree to raise the takeout and concession prices across the entire country.

Dave

PS: Wish I was kidding.

Exotic1
04-04-2017, 07:18 PM
http://www.pastthewire.com/national-replay-center/

Excerpt:

Taking the decision to disqualify horses from onsite stewards is a historical departure from tradition but one that offers numerous benefits and comes without undue cost. More uniformity in the area and the use of the best technology available will lead to greater confidence for the bettor and should in turn enhance handle for the participating tracks. It will also allow stewards to focus more on the areas that need governing that occur off track. It’s an idea whose time has come.

Good post.

EasyGoer89
04-05-2017, 11:32 AM
One of the many great ideas that will never happen because there is no REAL national tbred organization that is in charge of anything.

And if there was, the first thing they would do is to agree to raise the takeout and concession prices across the entire country.

Dave

The only time i ever purchase a concession item at a track is on dollar days, I won't support the gouging. I'll pay 3 bucks for a super size coke, but not 6. I get 'markup' but there is a time to say enough.

johnhannibalsmith
04-05-2017, 11:41 AM

Dave

That's the second thing they'd do. Depending on which insiders got to be the chief doers, the first thing would be to institute statutes that would be so onerous on some tracks and jurisdictions that they would have no way to be compliant and give up the ghost entirely. So then, they can much more effectively do your number one on everyone's parade.

SuperPickle
04-05-2017, 08:30 PM
This is a REALLY bad take and not just for the primary reason of racing not having uniform licensing, rules and regulations across 50 states.

The author makes a lot of assumptions on current professional sports review processes not the least of which is they are successful. Since the NBA has the rolls Royce of reviews with the Secacus command center I'll use it. I watch a lot of NBA basketball and anyone who does can tell you several times a night they produce head scratching calls. So the idea this gets everything right is a myth.

But further I don't think the author has a firm grasp of how the NBA system works or what purpose it's designed to serve. I've worked as a review coordinator for college basketball which has the old NBA system now. It's caveman reviews. Basically a ref stops the game, asks the director and producer to show him any angles they have and makes a decision off that.

The NBA went to the command center because they were concerned about a lack of consistency in what officials are seeing and they believe it's their obligation to provide that. NBA and NFL games can have over 20 cameras. The propose of their centers is to digest all the footage and make sure ref's onsite see all the angles available of a play and remind them of which rules are involved in the play.

In both the NBA and NFL the ultimate arbitrators of the play are the onsite officials. While they are given consultation the decision is ultimately there's. So having stewards offsite doesn't jive with these leagues.

So really these command centers exist more as television production studios to digest all the footage and also a way to remind officials during a review which rules are in play. They're essentially there to speed up the game more than anything.

In short this solves no problem racing has. Stewards don't have 10-20 angles of a foul. They have 3-4 and that's not changing. Further the system he proposes would still pull from the same group of stewards for staffing. So when all is said and done if you have the same people looking at the same 3-4 angles in Queens or on Pluto you're probably going to get the same decisions.

It fixes nothing.

dilanesp
04-05-2017, 11:40 PM

Dave

I suspect that a data driven national czar would lower takeout on day to day product, and especially on short fields, and raise it on the TC and breeders' cup.

That's probably the model that maximizes revenue.

AndyC
04-06-2017, 12:08 AM
I suspect that a data driven national czar would lower takeout on day to day product, and especially on short fields, and raise it on the TC and breeders' cup.

That's probably the model that maximizes revenue.

Don't you think that tracks would do this already if they weren't so entwined with the government and horsemen?

dilanesp
04-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Don't you think that tracks would do this already if they weren't so entwined with the government and horsemen?

They would be more likely to. Though there are sometimes reasons businesses stick to sub-optimal pricing.