PDA

View Full Version : Lexi Thompson Stubbed Her Toe And The Doctor Amputated Her Foot!

NJ Stinks
04-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Don' talk about women's golf much around here but today's "ruling" sure as hell didn't fit the crime! In a major to boot!

Lexi Thompson loses major in playoff after fan calls in four-stroke penalty
Lexi Thompson fell one stroke short at the ANA Inspiration, and the rest of it was a complete mess
by Kyle Porter

1m ago • 2 min read

Lexi Thompson’s four scorecards from the 2017 ANA Inspiration read 69-67-67-67. That would be 18 under if you’re scoring home, and it should have been enough to win the first LPGA major of 2017 by four strokes.

But someone emailed the LPGA on Sunday about a moment that happened in Thompson’s Saturday round, and she was docked four strokes, which turned her Saturday 67 into a 71.

Thompson fell to 14 under and eventually lost in a playoff to So Yeon Ryu. This was Ryu’s second major win.

The moment question came at the par-3 17th hole on Saturday. Thompson appears to have moved her ball slightly after marking it. A viewer emailed the LPGA on Sunday, and Thompson was told about the penalty during the middle of her round and that she would be docked two strokes for the movement of the ball and two more for signing an incorrect scorecard.

More including video of the violation at the link below:

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/lexi-thompson-loses-major-in-playoff-after-fan-calls-in-four-stroke-penalty/

cj
04-03-2017, 10:57 AM
The double penalty is ridiculous. There should be common sense applied, but that never seems to happen in golf.

HoofedInTheChest
04-03-2017, 12:29 PM
The absurd fact that the sport allows some oaf sitting at home on a couch, to determine the winner of a major championship. Whoever called that in deserves a beat down, f'n hero.

“There is little doubt that what Thompson did was an unintentional infraction but unless every shot of every player is available for replay, then the application of fairness simply disappears. Golf seems to shoot itself in the foot by letting outsiders point out these infractions for the few shots shown. One estimate said that during a normal round about two per cent of every swing is broadcast.”

MutuelClerk
04-03-2017, 03:45 PM
I got home last night saw the playoff, they reported four shots for slow play. I assumed and a hot dog and two beers at the turn and was okay with the penalty. But that wasn't it at all. I agree, I'm tired of people at home influencing these tournaments. Enough is enough. Get better officials.

Speaking of slow play I hope they speed these players along more. The game really has slowed down. Fine them, penalize them. Do something, make it public. Ridicule can do amazing things. Ask Tiger.

FantasticDan
04-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Speaking of slow play I hope they speed these players along more. The game really has slowed down. Fine them, penalize them. Do something, make it public. Ridicule can do amazing things. Ask Tiger.Don't forget armed security in the gallery who will be allowed to shoot any spectator who yells "GET IN THE HOLE!!" during a chip or long putt.

There will be many fatalities in the first year, but the lesson will be learned, and it will be SO worth it. :ThmbUp:

EasyGoer89
04-04-2017, 12:36 AM
The absurd fact that the sport allows some oaf sitting at home on a couch, to determine the winner of a major championship. Whoever called that in deserves a beat down, f'n hero.

“There is little doubt that what Thompson did was an unintentional infraction but unless every shot of every player is available for replay, then the application of fairness simply disappears. Golf seems to shoot itself in the foot by letting outsiders point out these infractions for the few shots shown. One estimate said that during a normal round about two per cent of every swing is broadcast.”

I would love if horse racing let fans (EMD especially!) call in and determine the winners on inquiries!

Greyfox
04-04-2017, 01:20 AM
Every group has a rules official walking with them throughout Major tournaments.
1. Infractions should be called on the spot, by either the players or the attending official.

2. No other sport relies on fans phoning or e mailing in complaints.
Golf should do away with accepting complaints from fans watching on TV.
Can you imagine what would happen in hockey or football if TV fans had their way? Utter chaos.

The whole fiasco was ridiculous. In my mind, Lexi won that tournament.
At most she should have had a two stroke penalty.
Had she been told on the spot, she wouldn't have signed a wrong scorecard.
The decision for four strokes was absolutely terrible.