PDA

View Full Version : Azeri's Answer Time

KingChas
07-29-2004, 11:23 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/57729.html

We definately need some answers.

JustRalph
07-29-2004, 11:48 PM
If that horse breaks a leg racing.........he is going to be one very pissed off owner................

or maybe...........

He knows something that we don't? Like she is sterile?

KingChas
07-29-2004, 11:57 PM
She's back at two turns.Working bullets.Should have a heavier dosage of lasix(+++).I might drop a few bucks on her if I get the odds.If she runs dismal again I would say Mr. Paulson and Mr. Lukas have run out of excuses.Tough field yes,but Azeri is(or was) a Grade 1 horse.I wish her the best of luck.

Pace Cap'n
07-30-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
If that horse breaks a leg racing.........he is going to be one very pissed off owner................

or maybe...........

He knows something that we don't? Like she is sterile?

Paulson mentioned a while back that he didn't consider racing her that much of a gamble, saying that they had lost a lot more mares in the foaling shed than they had on the racetrack.

KingChas
07-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Pace Cap'n
Paulson mentioned a while back that he didn't consider racing her that much of a gamble, saying that they had lost a lot more mares in the foaling shed than they had on the racetrack.

Sorry Pace,this kid inherited the horse,he couldn't make a pimple on the old man's arse.I don't think he is very rational.If she breaks down what does he have to lose?Nothing, the late intelligent Mr. Paulson probably has her well insured.As fo' DWL, Oh well another one bites the dust.Talk about being born with a silver spoon in your mouth!

TOOZ
07-31-2004, 06:47 AM
I really think too many times we dismiss some special chemistry between jockey and horse. It's easy to do, because of the bombardment of all the cheap races. Smith and Azeri had it, the record speaks for itself. He knows that horse. I would love to see him ride her again, but with Lukas's ego, I doubt it. He would never want to be second guessed. Day obviously doesn't fit this horse. It's a good thing the son didn't handle Cigar's carreer. Do you really think the old man would have made such a change after so much success?

Tom
07-31-2004, 11:09 AM
Quaote from the article:
"I know some of that's out there. I really don't understand it," Paulson said this week from Southern California. "The horse loves to race. That's what we breed and put so much time and investment in these horses for, is to get a horse like Azeri. I don't think it has tarnished her. How can you tarnish a Horse of the Year and a two-time champion? You can count those on one hand."

Well, you are off to a good start. You hired D Wayne - he did it to Lady's Secret, so you have covered all the bases, pal. Experience counts.

:rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
07-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Right back at YOU Tom :rolleyes:

Steve 'StatMan'
07-31-2004, 11:40 PM
If, God forbid, Azeri breaks down, in a race named for the great but tragic 'Go For Wand', both those guys will be hearing about it for a VERY long time.

Tom
08-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Right back at YOU Tom :rolleyes:

Just checking to see if you were here! :D

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2004, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
If, God forbid, Azeri breaks down, in a race named for the great but tragic 'Go For Wand', both those guys will be hearing about it for a VERY long time.

:rolleyes:

What is it that makes you post such a note? I don't get it sometimes. Maybe it's me.....if you know something the NYRA vet doesn't know, please call 518-584-6200 pronto.....

Steve 'StatMan'
08-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Sorry PA - Remember, the God Forbid part. But she's a great horse who's gone on a long time, and has a great competitive spirit and heart. It was also a really great competitive spirit and heart that cost Go For Wand her life when she may have reached just a bit too far while trying so hard not to get beat. I don't think Go For Wand had physical problems, and I don't think Azeri does either. Hopefully its just me worried about a silly omen.

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm sorry too. It just gets to me when I read Azeri and "break down" in the same sentence.

If people are that worried, perhaps we should have a mandatory cutoff age for thoroughbreds (the current one in most states is somewhere above 10), especially horses who make a lot of money or win a lot of Graded races.....

Again, I must stress the hypocrisy of those who complain how the stars in our sport are whisked away to the breeding shed too quickly, yet when one sticks around for a while (AZERI), there are now complaints that

a) she should be retired based on one or two bad races

and

b) she's "done enough" and has "nothing left to prove"

Buckeye
08-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Let's not generalize, let's just see what happens TODAY.

Tom
08-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Happy to see I was wrong. Glad she won...it was good to see he running like she used to. Maybe her connections will get it this time....two turn routes against fillies/mares.
She derserves our respect.

cj
08-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Even two turns against males would be OK, just not one turn, please!

Buckeye
08-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Great race by Azeri.
Good ride by Day and what can I say, D Wayne Lukas, you're the trainer and this race reminds me of one of your former quotes, "Maybe we know just a LITTLE BIT about what we're doing!"

WINMANWIN
08-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Thats why you gotta listen and have an idea whats happening
days before these races go..:D I thought Azeri was a done deal weeks ago, but got the scoop about her Bleeding, didnt like track
Etc, Lukas said all the right things, and them bullets at churchill
downs every 7 days solidified my optimism. I will always remember this race, as I caught a nice pick 4 with her, and finally
beat a favorite in the last, to CASH THE RIGHT WAY ! :cool:

BillW
08-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by WINMANWIN
days before these races go..:D I thought Azeri was a done deal weeks ago, but got the scoop about her Bleeding, didnt like track
downs every 7 days solidified my optimism. I will always remember this race, as I caught a nice pick 4 with her, and finally

Nice WIN, makes for a good weekend!

Bill

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2004, 06:40 PM
How about that!

I'm glad to see Pat Day can win with Azeri. Makes me feel better....

What a gamer...she ran pretty much the same race she ran at Belmont last time out, but this time, she was there at the end...

OK Lukas bashers...what should we do with Azeri NOW???

JimG
08-01-2004, 07:07 PM
How about that!

I'm glad to see Pat Day can win with Azeri. Makes me feel better....

What a gamer...she ran pretty much the same race she ran at Belmont last time out, but this time, she was there at the end...

OK Lukas bashers...what should we do with Azeri NOW???

She ran much slower earlier than she did last out which left her more in the stretch. She was all heart today. Although I am not a Lukas basher per se, I was one that thought Azeri's best races were behind her. I still feel that way, but that was one heck of a nice effort today.

Jim

KingChas
08-01-2004, 07:15 PM
She answered my Question! Bravo Champ!Nice job D. Wayne Lukas keep it going!

Steve 'StatMan'
08-01-2004, 07:21 PM
I didn't see the race, and wasn't sure she could do it at the highest level anymore, but she did it! I'm really glad...and relieved.

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by JimG
She ran much slower earlier than she did last out which left her more in the stretch. She was all heart today. Although I am not a Lukas basher per se, I was one that thought Azeri's best races were behind her. I still feel that way, but that was one heck of a nice effort today.

Jim

What I was referencing was the fact that she ran her second quarter much faster than her first last time out, and again today...

Last time: 23 1/5, 45 3/5 = 22 2/5 second quarter

Today: 24 1/5, 47 3/5 = 23 2/5 second quarter

Both times she ran the second quarter 4/5 of a second faster than the first. Plus, both times she had Sightseek right behind her....

Bubbles
08-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Would anyone else be happy to see her run in the Saratoga Breeders Cup against Funny Cide in a few weeks? Mile and a quarter distance may make that impossible, but it'd be cool to see those two go at it.

OK, I think everyone's flip-flopped on Azeri more than Kerry's flip-flopped in his entire campaign. ;)

We all went from "Bravo, champ." to "Retire, washup." to "Blame Lukas." to "Bravo, champ." again.

Does anyone else think this is deeply weird? :) :D ;)

KingChas
08-01-2004, 07:58 PM
All of my post's on Azeri have been mainly to say why wasn't she run big time earlier in her career.Why didn't the late Mr. Paulson want to run her against the boys in the Derby and BC?Why didn't he move her to a big time trainer?Now is not the time-she showed her class today.But are we in for heavy bounces.I have changed my thinking and will not blame DWL for this.If he had her earlier who knows-but why didn't he have her earlier-who knows?

Tom
08-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by WINMANWIN

What're you, some kind of handicapper or something? :D
Yeah, it was there in black and white. You got it in green lol!

Tom
08-01-2004, 08:18 PM

.....OK Lukas bashers...what should we do with Azeri NOW???

Keep her on two turns!
Going to no living with you this week! LOL!:D

KingChas
08-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Retire her now as Champ!

Bubbles
08-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by KingChas
Retire her now as Champ!

BEFORE EVERYBODY HAS A CHANCE TO FLIP-FLOP AGAIN!!!!!! :) :D ;)

KingChas
08-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Last Words Bubbles-Amen.

Pace Cap'n
08-01-2004, 09:20 PM
What a concept!

Buckeye
08-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
Would anyone else be happy to see her run in the Saratoga Breeders Cup against Funny Cide in a few weeks? Mile and a quarter distance may make that impossible, but it'd be cool to see those two go at it.
No it would not. The MAIN thing she needs is TIME in between races. T-I-M-E

Her main goal (in this non-trainer's opinion) should be the BC Distaff, I'd say train her up to it.

PaceAdvantage
08-02-2004, 12:04 AM
BTW, anyone notice her final time?

SMOKIN!

Zaf
08-02-2004, 12:19 AM
I attended the live card today, She just looked great !!!

Great to have a champion back !!!

ZAFONIC

Observer
08-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by KingChas
Retire her now as Champ!

Oh, yes .. that would make perfect sense!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Besides .. she's been a champ .. twice over .. plus Horse of the Year .. those titles can NEVER be taken away from her .. and now she's the leading North American female earner, as well as stakes record holder of the Go For Wand, as well as a winner on the East Coast .. at the legendary Saratoga!

She's got her work cut out for herself .. but it would be awesome to see her get Older Female Champ once again! Hard to imagine a scenario of her getting Horse of the Year .. but it seemed unimaginable in 2002 .. when War Emblem was winner of the Derby & Preakness .. and Medaglia d'Oro lost the BC Classic to longshot Volponi .. and Left Bank died just weeks after the Whitney .. so .. Azeri .. Horse of the Year 2004 .. who knows .. strange things happen in this game!!

KingChas
08-04-2004, 11:43 PM
KingChas----"Retire her now as champ"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Observer
[B]Oh, yes .. that would make perfect sense!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Besides .. she's been a champ .. twice over .. plus Horse of the Year .. those titles can NEVER be taken away from her .. and now she's the leading North American female earner, as well as stakes record holder of the Go For Wand, as well as a winner on the East Coast .. at the legendary Saratoga!

I was joking Observer.It was a reply to Bubbles on my constant flip-flopping on Azeri and her connections.

Observer
08-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Okay, so maybe you were joking .. but I'm sure there are people with that very opinion .. that she should now retire .. being she's a winner again, and she's got the money record, which was a goal of the connections. So, with that in mind, I stand by what I said .. in response to anyone who believes Azeri should now be retired after her performance in the Go For Wand.