PDA

View Full Version : The Nick Surick Effect

Jess Hawsen Arown
03-31-2017, 08:41 AM
Is Freehold Raceway the only track in racing history that bars show wagering on $5,000 claimers?

The Nick Surick effect.

I have no courtroom-quality evidence to back up the following assumption shared by most Freehold Raceway regular. But said regulars believe that Surick spends more on vet bills than he can win on races where the purses are $2,600 -- all to cash tickets on 1-5 shots.

Personally, I don't believe bridge jumpers cash more than 90% of the time. That is the success rate needed to show a profit (most rebate shops deny rebates on minus pools) and the tracks get to piss off big bettors and those who try to make nice scores making small show bets against said bridge jumpers.

It is your definitive lose-lose scenario.

titans1127
03-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Finished 4th at 1/9 in the opener. Pretty good place prices as a result.

Jess Hawsen Arown
03-31-2017, 05:55 PM
Speaking of bridge jumpers, there was none in the first race at Freehold because management was fraidy scared of losing a few dollars on a Surick 1-9 shot in a $5k claimer.

The bridge jumpers saved their money and people bet against bridge jumpers were pissed as the 1-9 shot ran out.

Lose for the players.

sharkey11
03-31-2017, 07:08 PM
i never could understand why a track would bar a bet of any sise in most states the track is allowed to increase the take after the minus pool is hit untill said track makes up the loss from that minus pool . i think its up to the track if it want to do so or not. im guessing its just another way of driving away custmers . :p

Jess Hawsen Arown
04-01-2017, 11:11 AM
im guessing its just another way of driving away custmers . :p

...and they have THAT down to a science. Maybe harness track executives should lecture a Harvard MBA class. :bang: