PDA

View Full Version : Why the South Became Conservative

Bob Allen
07-29-2004, 05:43 PM
All,

It was a cool day in the heat of a humid Southern day in 1961 when a brave group of "negro" men and women boarded buses to test the 1959 decision of the U. S. Supreme Court (at the time populated by much smarter people than it has today) outlawing segregation on public transportation. They were, almost immediately, dubbed the "Freedom Riders."

They rode the buses and the white south went into a rip roaring tizzy. Ku Klux Klan members and their sympathizers began an era of violence against blacks that exploded the south, including a church with children inside and ending with the assassination of Martin Luther King.

What really upset these regular solid Democratic voters was that the blacks won the war for equality even though they lost many battles along the way. These former Democratic voters were not only aghast at the audacity of "them damn Democrats" they were also aghast at "all these uppity ******s."

Being generally uneducated and, for the most part, illiterate they decided that "by God we'll get this country back from them damned commie pinkos." And they determined to do that to despite the fact that it was not in their best interest in the long term to do so. They were speaking of the Democrats but for all they didn't know they could have been speaking of the New York Yankees.

How could they attack the Democrats where it would really hurt them? They really didn't have a clue and that is why so many blacks died prematurely. They didn't plan it, because they weren't smart enough to think that far ahead but they didn't want to vote for "one of their own who had given them damned ******s all them rights." They inadvertently, and to their detriment changed how they voted at the ballot box.

Thus, they changed from being poor white uneducated hillbillies to being poor white uneducated hillbillies who voted for Republicans.

Today, some 43 years later, they are still pissed off about the Civil Rights Act one of their own, Lyndon Johnson, signed into law. They are still fighting a war against equality (and reality). They are losing the overall war but they do have some wins in a few of the battles.

In 2000 they won enough of these battles to help one of their own, George Bush, be appointed to the presidency. They were ecstatic and looked for things to get back to normal - the way it used to be as quickly as possible. It didn't happen even though Bush used to have a party every time one of the disproportionate number of black people who were on death row for a crime, was killed by the State of Texas while he was Governor of Texas. The Little Hitler used to smirk and mock some of the pleas of the inmates for his guests. He thought that was funny.

But now we have a man, an intelligent man, who can actually speak in complete sentences. Reports also indicate that he can ride a bicycle. Smart as a whip and destined to become the first black national officeholder. Hope is on the way that George Bush will live long enough to be governed by a black man.

May Barack Obama's future be a beacon of light that shines into the darkest recessses of irrational thought those closed- minded bigots of the Old South and the North who switched allegiance out of spite and anger and jealousy. That light is going to be what illuminates the differences between the party of the antiquated south and north and the party of the forward-thinking Americans of the future.

Most of us will be on that ship when it sails but a few will still be mired in the bigotry of the past.

© 2004 - All Rights Reserved - Bob

Tom
07-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Obama? Aren't we searching for him in Pakistan?:rolleyes:

Steve 'StatMan'
07-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Bush isn't a Little Hitler, Bob, and you know it.

I don't hate Kerry personally, but I sure can't stand many of his biggest supporters.

PaceAdvantage
07-30-2004, 02:24 AM
So Bob, you are now equating voting Republican with being a racist KKK sympathizer?

Are you Bush bashers that hard up?

The whole Hitler / Nazi / KKK thing has been overdone. It's boring, and it's old.

Come up with something new, will ya?

I'm guessing all those who compare Bush and the Republicans to Hitler and Nazis didn't grow up anywhere near the time of World War II....cause if you did, you wouldn't dare make those comparisons without the fear of looking like a complete fool.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-30-2004, 06:26 AM
But gee PA, Bob Allen is a proud individual sponsor of moveon.org

cj
07-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
But gee PA, Bob Allen is a proud individual sponsor of moveon.org

And yet, the organiztion itself can't seem to "move on." Yikes!

Steve 'StatMan'
07-30-2004, 06:41 AM
Yes. Reading Bob's stuff, I think they should have called it "Bowel Move-On", since that's essentiall what they've been doing - molding their own version of the truth and paint the Commander In Chief as a liar during war-time, how un-American can you get? Once their 'man' (remember, chosen because he's ABB), what will they want for puting him in there? Or maybe I shouldn't ask, since Bob will feel compelled to tell us.

Derek2U
07-30-2004, 08:51 AM
No one needs outrageous comparisons of Bush & Team to the
KKK or Hitler etc --- of course that kind of talk is lame --- but
Bush etc has nearly ruined so many parts of this USA and that's
because he was almost totally unprepared to lead in ANY way.
The economy is ~~C+ and because of his lack of fiscal know how.
At any rate, I gave the Kerry convention an A+ and I really look
forward to the Republican's (I wish it was being held in Las Vegas
and NOT NYC). Yeah, working on Wall St I can tell you that most
guys from 25-35 are Bush fans largely because they think with
1/3 of a brain and Kerry did not help by calling $200,000 a year
as a dividing line between the Affluent & Middle Class. In NYC
$200K for a family of two makes you scrimp & cut coupons. But
hey I'm still in favor of dumping those tax cuts ala Bush.

JustRalph
07-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
So Bob, you are now equating voting Republican with being a racist KKK sympathizer?

Are you Bush bashers that hard up?

The whole Hitler / Nazi / KKK thing has been overdone. It's boring, and it's old.

Come up with something new, will ya?

I'm guessing all those who compare Bush and the Republicans to Hitler and Nazis didn't grow up anywhere near the time of World War II....cause if you did, you wouldn't dare make those comparisons without the fear of looking like a complete fool.

Funny........the Dems are the ones who have the only member of Congress who was a KKK member and appeared in a recruiting pamphlet. Duplicity? once again...........

chickenhead
07-30-2004, 11:18 AM
which do you guys think we'll have first, a non caucasian president or a woman president? I've always though we'll have a minority before a woman, but I'm not sure the country is ready for someone named Barak Obama..maybe in another 10 years.

Tom
07-31-2004, 11:51 AM
We already had a Martian - Clinton!:D

wes
07-31-2004, 11:56 AM
TOO many nuts moved south. Never hear of anyone retiring to the north.

wes

Lefty
07-31-2004, 12:54 PM
And yet it's the DEms who don't want school vouchers when most minorities do. It's the Dems who blve minorities cannot advance without affirmative action. It's the Dems who constantly shout down men like Clarence Thomas because he is not a liberal.
BTW, under Bush, Home ownership among the African Americans is wayyyy up.
Bob, I give your satire an F. Not funny, been done before and not factual.

Tom
07-31-2004, 05:57 PM
He's with moveon.org. That says it all.

schweitz
08-01-2004, 01:14 AM
From 1870 to 1930, in an effort to deny African Americans their civil rights and to keep African Americans from voting Republican, thousands of African Americans were shot, beaten, lynched, mutilated, and burned to death by Ku Klux Klan terrorists from the Democratic Party.

Democratic Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry Truman rejected anti-lynching laws and efforts to establish a permanent Civil Rights Commission.

The Democratic Party has used racist demagoguery to deceive African Americans about the history of the Republican Party that:
a: started as the anti-slavery party in 1854
b: fought to free African Americans from slavery
c: designed Reconstruction, a ten-year period of unprecedented political power for African Americans
d: passed the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution granting African Americans freedom, citizenship, and the right to vote
e: passed the Civil Rights Acts of 1866 and 1875 granting African Americans protection from the Black Codes and prohibiting racial discrimination in public accommodations
f: passed the Civil Rights Act og 1964 and 1965 granting African Americans protection from the Jim Crow laws
g: established Affirmative Action programs to help African Americans prosper with Republican President Richard Nixon's 1969 Philadelphia Plan that set the first goals and timetables and his 1972 Equal Employment Opportunity Act that made Affirmative Action Programs the law of our nation

Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka ( a 1954 decision by Chief Justice Earl Warren who was appointed by Republican President Dwight Eisenhower) was a landmark civil rights case that was designed to overturn the racist practices that were established by the Democratic Party.

After Democratic President Franklin Roosevelt received the vote of African Americans, he banned African American newspapers from the military shortly after taking office because he was convinced the newspapers were communists.

Democratic President John F. Kennedy voted against the 1957 Civil Rights Law, opposed the 1963 March on Washington by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and was later criticized by Dr. King for ignoring civil rights issues.

Democratic Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, a former member of the Ku Klux Klan, made a 14-hour filibuster speech in the Senate in June 1964 in an unsuccessful effort to block passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and was heralded in April 2004 by Democratic Senator Christopher Dodd as a senator who would have been a great leader during the Civil War.

When the 1964 Civil Rights Act came up for vote, Senator Al Gore, Sr. and the rest of the Southern Democrats voted against the bill.

In th House of Representatives only 61 percent of the Democrats voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act as compared to 80 percent of Republicans, and in the Senate only 69 percent of Democrats voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act, compared to 82 percent of Republicans.

Democratic President Bill Clinton vetoed the welfare reform law twice before signing it, and refused to comply with a court order to have shipping companies develop an Affirmative Action Plan.

Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore created harmful racial division when he falsely claimed that the 2000 election was "stolen" from him and that African Americans in Florida were disenfranchised, even though a second recount of Florida votes by the "Miami Herald" and a consortium of major news organizations confirmed that he lost the election, and a ruling by the U.S. Civil Rights Commission declared that African Americans were not denied the right to vote.

The Democratic Party's soft bigotry of low expectations and social promotions have consigned African Americans to economic bondage and created a culture of dependency on government social programs.

The Democratic Party's use of deception and fear to block welfare reform, the faith-based initiative and school choice that would help African Americans prosper is consistant with the Democratic Party's heritage of racism that included sanctioning of slavery and kukluxery, a perversion of moral sentiment among leaders of the Democratic Party whose racist legacy bode ill until this generation of African Americans.

These words were written by Francis Rice who is an attorney and an African American woman who served in the Army for 20 years before retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel. She was recently appointed by Governor Jeb Bush to serve on the Medal of Merit Board for the state of Florida.

Lefty
08-01-2004, 02:07 AM
scweitz, what a great great post. The RNC should use this post in their ads.

Mike at A+
08-01-2004, 10:06 AM
The minute I see the name Hitler in an anti-Bush diatribe, I see desperation in the party promoting such dialog. For my 2 cents (and I don't like to generalize), Democrats are:

1.) Too loud (i.e. Hillary, Sharpton, Gore)
2.) Too vulgar (i.e. Moore, Goldberg, Stern and the "Jesus Christ drop the f*ckin balloons" guy on the CNN DNC broadcats)
3.) Too disrespectful (i.e. Kennedy, Gore and a slew of others)
4.) Too divisive (i.e. the "class warfare" gang)
5.) Too anti-progress (i.e. the "filibuster instead of vote" gang)
6.) Too anti-American (i.e. the media who make Abu Ghraib a bigger story than beheadings)
7.) Too deluded (i.e. Hollywood actors and actresses who try to be political hacks and think that we actually give a flying $hit of their obnoxious views)

I realize that a lot of people will ignore all of the above and still vote Democratic, but deep down I pray that the moral majority will get off their fat a$$es in November and send a loud and clear message that we see through their BS and will not let them ruin this country. We also know that a very large percentage of Democratic voters vote Democratic on one issue and ONE ISSUE ALONE and that is ABORTION. Sometimes I wonder where the Democratic party would be if there was no such thing as abortion.

Tom
08-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Gay marriage and abortions are nature's way of dealing with democrtes. Republicans should encourage both "choices."
Nay, they should DEMAND them! :D

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by schweitz
These words were written by Francis Rice who is an attorney and an African American woman who served in the Army for 20 years before retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel. She was recently appointed by Governor Jeb Bush to serve on the Medal of Merit Board for the state of Florida.

Post it LOUD and post it PROUD brother schweitz!!! Excellent stuff. Suff likes to quote history at times, especially when it pertains to the seeds of our nation's history as they were sown in Massachusetts. It will be interesting to see his comments on some of this history that you just posted.....

wes
08-01-2004, 10:34 AM
I lived in a GAY neighborhood once and they broke in and re arranged the furniture. Did not know they were DEM's.

wes

Lefty
08-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Wes, now that's funny. LOL.

kenwoodallpromos
08-02-2004, 11:46 PM
I am voting for Nader.
Before you make a movie, search Kerry's speeches and his website- then let me know if you see the word POOR.
FYI- It's the rich who are greedy vs the rest.
Amazing the poor "hillbillys" did not like the Kennedys; dog abuser Johnson; Wallace; Maddox; Black mulims who killed Malcom X for turning non-violent; SDS; Sen Robert KKK Byrd.
Instead the new Southern Republicans supported Goldwater; Nelson Rockefeller: and came back to vote for Carter. I think Ike was from the south.