PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Keeneland Question

RunForTheRoses
03-30-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm thinking of visiting Keeneland next month, don't want to spend a fortune. I found a reasonably priced place on Elkhorn Road on the other side of town. I'm thinking I may want to imbibe a few and don't drink and drive especially in a city I never visited. I do see there is a bus that would take an hour and thirty seven minutes. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or have any other ideas? I would probably only do this one day out of the trip, I'd behave the other day or two.

Any other advice about visiting Keeneland and Lexington appreciated.

Murph
03-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Try http://www.booking.com. I like to use this hotel site because it gives a wide variety of rooms from scary level to decent. Pick your poison then use the map feature link. They use google maps to show all of the attractions and businesses ect, close to each place and you can estimate cab distances and find the bus routes and all of the google map features pop. Lists hotel features (I like free breakfast) and some offer a free booking link, NO CC needed to reserve a single room.

Have a look.

AirNate012
03-30-2017, 01:02 PM
I would highly suggest that you get the Uber app on your phone and use that to get around. I've used it all across the country and it's great...much cheaper than a regular cab.

barahona44
03-30-2017, 01:06 PM
According to www.taxifarefinder.com the taxi fare from Keeneland to Elkhorn Road is 46.98 (assuming normal traffic and includes a 15 % tip ).It's 15 miles and takes 21 minutes,some of the route is I-64/75 but that does seem kind of fast, especially given the crowds Keeneland gets.The only time I used the site it was only off by about 50 cents .Hope this helps

RunForTheRoses
03-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am using kayak which is an aggregate searcher, it uses booking as one of the searches.

I do have the uber app and may use it. Do any of the hotels have shuttle buses like Saratoga does?

I'll probably drive one or two days and take uber or a taxi on one day. From other stories posted on PA it seems there is some partying going on. I'm looking at Howard Johnsons or another one near it on Elkhorn. Reviews can be very feast or famine, that is, some will say a place is fine then the next will say it was an outer layer of dante's inferno.

barahona44
03-30-2017, 01:30 PM
Did you think of staying at one of the airport hotels?.Keeneland is a short walk from Blue Grass Airport.That way you can party every day and crawl back to your hotel on all fours.:)

RunForTheRoses
03-30-2017, 01:49 PM
Did you think of staying at one of the airport hotels?.Keeneland is a short walk from Blue Grass Airport.That way you can party every day and crawl back to your hotel on all fours.:)

That sounds possible, I'll price them.

I'lf I don't do that that weekend I may go on a non-gambling trip to the 420 fest in Atlanta GA, I've never been there before. Phantom on Tours fave Widespread Panic headline

http://www.sweetwater420fest.com/late-night-shows/

jahura2
03-30-2017, 04:57 PM

RunFortheRoses, Bluegrass Field in Lexington doesn't have a hotel at the airport.
The closest are in Beaumont Center a Hampton and Fairfield and a Comfort Inn. Pretty close to the track and an easy Uber over and back. There are a lot of restaurants with bars in the Beaumont and nearby Palomar area all no more than 4 miles from the airport and Keenelands front gate.

Fager Fan
03-30-2017, 11:44 PM
RunFortheRoses, Bluegrass Field in Lexington doesn't have a hotel at the airport.
The closest are in Beaumont Center a Hampton and Fairfield and a Comfort Inn. Pretty close to the track and an easy Uber over and back. There are a lot of restaurants with bars in the Beaumont and nearby Palomar area all no more than 4 miles from the airport and Keenelands front gate.

This. Also, there is a hotel straight down Versailles Rd at the Red Mile. I cat think of the name of it right now though.

jahura2
03-31-2017, 10:35 AM
This. Also, there is a hotel straight down Versailles Rd at the Red Mile. I cat think of the name of it right now though.

RFTR, I almost forgot. The closest place to Keeneland is actually just past the track on Versailles Road. Its now called Americas Best Value Inn. Not quite the accomodations of the others but it does have four walls, a roof and a bed. Real close to Keeneland.

Fager Fan
03-31-2017, 10:14 PM
I looked it up. Spring Hill Suites was the hotel I was thinking of.

tanner12oz
04-01-2017, 11:06 AM
depending on when youll be there pretty good chance most of your hotel is also going to the track...could probably make friends at breakfast and hitch a ride with someone...

ill be there next weekend