PDA

View Full Version : Never Bring A Knife To A Gunfight

Burls
03-29-2017, 10:01 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-man-uses-ar-15-kill-three-teen-home-intruders-n739541

Three teens in Oklahoma learned this the hard way.
How could they not realize that folks are very likely to be armed in Oklahoma?

JustRalph
03-29-2017, 10:55 PM
They are trying like hell to indict this kid, just because he used an AR-15.

I want to know why they picked this house.

They should have never made statements to the police without a lawyer.

NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE WITHOUT A LAWYER!

Clocker
03-29-2017, 11:09 PM
They are trying like hell to indict this kid, just because he used an AR-15.

But, but...it's an ASSAULT RIFLE!!! Those are design explicitly to kill people. :eek:

(I feel like such a failure. Mine hasn't even killed a varmint yet. :rolleyes: )

I want to know why they picked this house.Another story said that there had been other break-ins in the area recently. I got the impression that no one was at home in those cases.

davew
03-30-2017, 01:34 AM
The get-away driver is going to be charged with murder.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-getaway-driver-charged-murder-183108050.html

GaryG
03-30-2017, 07:45 AM
The AR is legal to own in Oklahoma and the young man was obviously well trained in its use. I can't see where there is a crime here. He waited until they got into a hallway before opening up on them in a confined space. Sounds right to me.

elysiantraveller
03-30-2017, 08:59 AM
I've personally never thought AR's were all that good of a home defense weapon. My current completed one only holds 5 rounds anyway but I bet he was glad he had that 20 or 30 rounder in it with 3 intruders.

chadk66
03-30-2017, 09:29 AM
AR's are fine for home defense if you have a holographic on it. But you have to turn it on and sometimes you don't have the time. I keep a sig 9 in a pouch on my mattress that has glow sights on it. I can have it pulled in a second or less. Your not gonna keep an AR strapped to your bed. Well at least not in a practical matter lol.

elysiantraveller
03-30-2017, 09:59 AM
Shotgun.... but I also don't intend on engaging a squad in my hallway. ;)

chadk66
03-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Shotgun.... but I also don't intend on engaging a squad in my hallway. ;)true. a guy has to plan for everything or anything I guess. I was going to build a turret in my new house and mount a 50 cal up there but I figured the neighbors would be a little uneasy :pound:

johnhannibalsmith
03-30-2017, 10:47 AM
Exhibit B why I have no problem supporting gun rights despite having no use for them myself. This should be the outcome, and a welcome one for those of us that don't play burglar.

RunForTheRoses
03-30-2017, 12:23 PM
I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for the victims. You reap what you sow, at least sometimes.

FantasticDan
03-30-2017, 01:16 PM
I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for the victims. You reap what you sow, at least sometimes.I'm not gonna shed any tears for the victims either, but I also don't regard the killing of three teens who made a bad decision as a "welcome outcome"..

davew
03-30-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for the victims. You reap what you sow, at least sometimes.

Is it fair to discriminate someone's chosen profession? There are people on wall street and Washington DC that have stolen far more from many more people and are living high on the hog.

barahona44
03-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Is it fair to discriminate someone's chosen profession? There are people on wall street and Washington DC that have stolen far more from many more people and are living high on the hog.

Invading someone's home is far more traumatic for the victim.Your home is the one place where you should always feel safe.Also, one crime has nothing to do with the other.People "get away" with crime every day.That doesn't mean we go light on the ones who do get caught and punished.

Inner Dirt
03-30-2017, 02:00 PM
I'm not gonna shed any tears for the victims either, but I also don't regard the killing of three teens who made a bad decision as a "welcome outcome"..

A bad decision is not boxing an exacta that paid $200 coming in the wrong way. This was a crime that could have ended in a loss of life for an innocent victim. Fortunately the good guy with a gun won this time.

Inner Dirt
03-30-2017, 02:03 PM
true. a guy has to plan for everything or anything I guess. I was going to build a turret in my new house and mount a 50 cal up there but I figured the neighbors would be a little uneasy :pound:

Where I live that probably wouldn't bother anyone. With the hunting laws being so lax here that probably would be a legal way to take deer that came on your property.

JustRalph
03-30-2017, 02:07 PM

I'm starting to wonder ........... is this account a bot :lol:

people still falling for it..........:ThmbUp:

FantasticDan
03-30-2017, 02:29 PM
A bad decision is not boxing an exacta that paid $200 coming in the wrong way. This was a crime that could have ended in a loss of life for an innocent victim. Fortunately the good guy with a gun won this time.
Actually, he didn't. He would have "won" had he called 911 immediately upon hearing the break-in, and remaining in a safe location, especially if he already had his gun. No law enforcement officer would disagree with that recommendation.

Now he has to live for the rest of his life with the psychological and emotional repercussions of killing three kids, which will be substantial.

chadk66
03-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Actually, he didn't. He would have "won" had he called 911 immediately upon hearing the break-in, and remaining in a safe location, especially if he already had his gun. No law enforcement officer would disagree with that recommendation.

Now he has to live for the rest of his life with the psychological and emotional repercussions of killing three kids, which will be substantial.I'd be surprised if it bothers him at all. wouldn't bother me a damn bit. you reap what you sow.

Inner Dirt
03-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Now he has to live for the rest of his life with the psychological and emotional repercussions of killing three kids, which will be substantial.

It depends, I knew a guy who interrupted two guys trying to steal his camper shell when he was about to leave for work. One of them drew on him a little too slow, Willie was an expert marksmen and killed both of them with his .357 revolver. He saw what they were doing out his window. When he told us why he was late to work we thought he was making up a story as he was so nonchalant about it. When I read the paper the next day it was obvious it was a true story. I worked with the guy a couple more years and would see him rather frequently at the local watering hole for the next 20 years, what happened didn't seem to effect him one bit. I think when you realize you killed someone who intended to do you harm it lessens the mental impact.

Maybe Willie was a little off, he would ask people if they wanted to see a picture of his girlfriend. It was a picture of her projectile vomiting over the side of his boat.

RunForTheRoses
03-30-2017, 04:33 PM

Apples and Grapefruits. Btw I do not believe in crony crapitalism either but invading someone's house is a dangerous thing to do.

RunForTheRoses
03-30-2017, 04:35 PM
I'd be surprised if it bothers him at all. wouldn't bother me a damn bit. you reap what you sow.

Wasn't the shooter a young man himself?

RunForTheRoses
03-30-2017, 04:39 PM

I think it would be normal to be upset that your house was where three teens lost their lives. It would be creepy to say the least. But he can rejoice that at least him and his loved ones are ok.

johnhannibalsmith
03-30-2017, 06:32 PM
I'm not gonna shed any tears for the victims either, but I also don't regard the killing of three teens who made a bad decision as a "welcome outcome"..

Sorry, I get your point, but common sense and regard for consequences are concepts of yesteryear. And that's not good for humanity or society. Outcomes like this might be sad in this or that context, but ultimately, I think it works out for the best overall.

Lemon Drop Husker
03-30-2017, 06:48 PM
Weird story.

In my guesstimate, it sounds like the kid (that did some shooting) was legitimately threatened earlier by this crew in some sort of bullying or power trip, and he and his pops were prepared.

Obviously the intruders had little knowledge of what they would face upon that entry.

JustRalph
03-30-2017, 07:42 PM

You make a ton of assumptions here. But you have the luxury of knowing things he did not. Such as, were they armed? He didn't know. Hiding in a closet with an AR-15 sounds like a perfect way to be dis-armed by your burglar when he pops that door open. Hiding in a "safe place" just waiting for the bad guys to shoot through a door or whatever.......no thanks.

Weird story.

In my guesstimate, it sounds like the kid (that did some shooting) was legitimately threatened earlier by this crew in some sort of bullying or power trip, and he and his pops were prepared.

Obviously the intruders had little knowledge of what they would face upon that entry.

The neighborhood and police statements suggest the opposite.

fast4522
03-30-2017, 08:11 PM

Complete horseshit Danno, the message Oklahoman,s should get real loud and real clear is if you pull that shit it is likely you will die for being stupid to do a home invasion. A few years ago up here in a quiet small NH town an invasion resulted in a mother and child being killed by some local young dirt bags. No need to post the horrifying details of that one, you should really comment about events near your hovel. I have no doubt the kid who protected himself had true fear of losing his own life, we should all support this young man because no matter how LEO's roll there is no certainty they could have protected him in time. The truth is we are ultimately responsible for our own safety period.

FantasticDan
03-30-2017, 08:14 PM
So my recommending he call 911 first and NOT run out to confront the invaders is me making a ton of assumptions?

Yeah he didn't know if it was kids looking for electronics or a suburban death squad, so best to come out shooting :bang:

You make a ton of assumptions here. But you have the luxury of knowing things he did not. Such as, were they armed? He didn't know. Hiding in a closet with an AR-15 sounds like a perfect way to be dis-armed by your burglar when he pops that door open. Hiding in a "safe place" just waiting for the bad guys to shoot through a door or whatever.......no thanks.

johnhannibalsmith
03-30-2017, 08:36 PM

Yeah he didn't know if it was kids looking for electronics or a suburban death squad, so best to come out shooting :bang:

Come on. Be that guy and tell me your primary consideration is getting a true grasp of an intruder's intent. This guy has no, and should have no, obligation to consider his safety secondarily to the intruder's.

Lemon Drop Husker
03-30-2017, 09:27 PM
So my recommending he call 911 first and NOT run out to confront the invaders is me making a ton of assumptions?

Where has any report said they "come out shooting"?

Read much? Or just assume the left full time?

Tom
03-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Those three felons will never again threaten anyone else.
The outcome was a good thing.

Natural selection......thin the herd. Good three to start with.

xtb
03-30-2017, 10:26 PM

"The trio allegedly forced their way into the residence through a back door and were killed after exchanging words with Peters, who fired multiple shots."

Sure sounds like he gave the scumbags a chance.

FantasticDan
03-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Where has any report said they "come out shooting"? Read much? Or just assume the left full time?What you wrote makes no sense, but reports did say HE came out shooting:

http://kfor.com/2017/03/30/more-details-released-on-oklahoma-home-invasion-that-left-three-teen-suspects-dead/

As soon as the teens broke a glass door to enter the home, the 23-year-old resident grabbed his gun and opened fire on the intruders.

xtb
03-30-2017, 11:45 PM
So what is the proper amount of time to wait to retrieve your gun when people are crashing through your house?

The sentence you quoted makes it sound as if he shot them before they entered the house. The three home invaders were in the house.

Lemon Drop Husker
03-30-2017, 11:54 PM
What you wrote makes no sense, but reports did say HE came out shooting:

http://kfor.com/2017/03/30/more-details-released-on-oklahoma-home-invasion-that-left-three-teen-suspects-dead/

Actual quote from the article you just posted:

As soon as the teens broke a glass door to enter the home, the 23-year-old resident grabbed his gun and opened fire on the intruders.

Anything else? Or are you just gonna do the Schumer?

FantasticDan
03-31-2017, 12:01 AM
I know it's an actual quote, because I quoted it. :rolleyes:

What is your actual point, aside from gibberish?

Lemon Drop Husker
03-31-2017, 12:08 AM
I know it's an actual quote, because I quoted it. :rolleyes:

What is your actual point, aside from gibberish?

Did you listen to the 911 call in the article you posted?

I guess people that break into other people's homes to rob and steal have rights..., right? I mean, how dare somebody have an AR-15 to defend themselves.

FantasticDan
03-31-2017, 12:16 AM
:D Again, all I've said in this thread is the same thing that any police officer would recommend.

How dare I! :blush:

Inner Dirt
03-31-2017, 10:44 AM
:D Again, all I've said in this thread is the same thing that any police officer would recommend.

How dare I! :blush:

Not any of the ones I knew. My dad was a cop, uncle was a cop, and I had a good friend years ago who was a cop and came from a family of cops. They all told me just to make sure not to shoot until they step inside your house.
I think the advice varies depending on who is asking it. That of course was back in the day before the wide spread spewing of liberalism everywhere you turn.

What liberals can't seem to conceive is some people are evil sociopaths that cannot be fixed. When I read stories like this I think of my nephew who did dozens of home break ins as a juvenile (he was proud of that). He is now doing 2-5 at the age of 23 for trying to strangle his girlfriend. I even tried my hand at him a couple times (hard ass old school upbringing, opposite of his parents). He has been to numerous psychologists, nothing works. The guy is evil, manipulative and has no remorse for his victims, even a 65 year old woman he assaulted. I hope he screws up in prison and stays there for life or if he gets out someone cancels his right to life card. The guy with the rifle may have just saved society from three pieces of crap.

chadk66
03-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Wasn't the shooter a young man himself?I think so. What's your point, I'm obviously missing it.

chadk66
03-31-2017, 11:06 AM
zero percent chance he is found guilty of murder. about that much chance he is even prosecuted.

johnhannibalsmith
03-31-2017, 11:31 AM
After the surviving accomplice went public and more or less stated that she completely understood why the shooter did what he did and didn't blame him, I think that those predictions probably got even more solid.

barahona44
03-31-2017, 11:51 AM
zero percent chance he is found guilty of murder. about that much chance he is even prosecuted.

Assuming he didn't invite the trio to his home under false pretenses ("Got some new video games, wanna play?), then started shooting when they entered, I don't see why any type of prosecution would ever come up

If I were him, I'd be more worried about the three kids families.Although people are at their most impulsive when they are teens, that type of behavior isn't learned in a vacumn .It's possible one of those kids was a bad seed from a decent family but I doubt that all three were.

ElKabong
03-31-2017, 03:35 PM

As soon as he mulls over the consquences had he not defended himself, he'll be just fine. In fact he'll count his lucky stars he did exactly what he did.

When masked criminals break into your home with a getaway car waiting outside, only an idiot wouldn't do whatever has to be done to protect himself/ Even if the DA decides to prosecute, it's a slam dunk he'll be found not guilty... and the jury just might treat him to an adult beverage of his choice after the trial

I literally laughed out loud when i read your post. Pure ignorance

RunForTheRoses
03-31-2017, 03:41 PM
I think so. What's your point, I'm obviously missing it.

FD said in a post you replied to that the shooter ruined three kids lives, my point was that the shooter was also a kid. It is good his life wasn't ruined.

FantasticDan
03-31-2017, 03:44 PM
I literally laughed out loud when i read your post. Pure ignoranceAnd I did likewise for yours, as usual :D :ThmbUp:

davew
03-31-2017, 03:54 PM
Assuming he didn't invite the trio to his home under false pretenses ("Got some new video games, wanna play?), then started shooting when they entered, I don't see why any type of prosecution would ever come up

If I were him, I'd be more worried about the three kids families.Although people are at their most impulsive when they are teens, that type of behavior isn't learned in a vacumn .It's possible one of those kids was a bad seed from a decent family but I doubt that all three were.

yes, come to my costume party as a prowler - dress in black with full face mask

Clocker
03-31-2017, 03:55 PM
When masked criminals break into your home with a getaway car waiting outside, only an idiot wouldn't do whatever has to be done to protect himself/ Even if the DA decides to prosecute, it's a slam dunk he'll be found not guilty... and the jury just might treat him to an adult beverage of his choice after the trial

An old cliche from the "gun-clinger" community: It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. :p

chadk66
03-31-2017, 04:51 PM
FD said in a post you replied to that the shooter ruined three kids lives, my point was that the shooter was also a kid. It is good his life wasn't ruined.exactly:ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
03-31-2017, 05:32 PM
I've personally never thought AR's were all that good of a home defense weapon. My current completed one only holds 5 rounds anyway but I bet he was glad he had that 20 or 30 rounder in it with 3 intruders.

Always 5 x 30 rounds very handy.

Your not gonna keep an AR strapped to your bed. Well at least not in a practical matter lol.

You'd be surprised how close and fast it can be. Of course, we don't have grandkids running all over the place either.

chadk66
04-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Always 5 x 30 rounds very handy.

You'd be surprised how close and fast it can be. Of course, we don't have grandkids running all over the place either.true. although my grandkids (ages 8-13) all shoot and know how to handle and respect guns. My eight year old grand daughter can shoot the AR lights out. You can't even wipe the smile off her face shooting that thing. I have a stripped lower I'm going to build one for her.

Clocker
04-02-2017, 08:44 PM
The grandfather of one of the guys killed in the home invasion says that the fight was not "fair" because the poor little boys were seriously out-gunned, and that they didn't deserve to die just for being stupid. :rolleyes:

http://rightwingnews.com/top-news/grandfather-criminal-broke-home-says-fight-unfair-homeowner-better-weapon/

barahona44
04-02-2017, 11:30 PM
The grandfather of one of the guys killed in the home invasion says that the fight was not "fair" because the poor little boys were seriously out-gunned, and that they didn't deserve to die just for being stupid. :rolleyes:

http://rightwingnews.com/top-news/grandfather-criminal-broke-home-says-fight-unfair-homeowner-better-weapon/

Willing to bet serious money Gramps has had a few encounters with the long arm of the law in his time.

Clocker
04-03-2017, 01:34 AM
Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

chadk66
04-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.and there's no cure for it:pound:

Tom
04-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Git 'r done!

JustRalph
04-04-2017, 12:10 AM
No charges

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/04/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-no-charges-against-man-who-killed-3-intruders.html

Murph
04-04-2017, 08:47 AM
No charges

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/04/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-no-charges-against-man-who-killed-3-intruders.html
Wise prosecutor. Is he up for re-election?

chadk66
04-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Wise prosecutor. Is he up for re-election?I don't think it would matter whether he was up for re-election or not. He wasn't going to get a conviction in OK anyway. And he knew it.

Inner Dirt
04-04-2017, 10:40 AM
I don't think it would matter whether he was up for re-election or not. He wasn't going to get a conviction in OK anyway. And he knew it.

He could have if he seated a jury of 12 liberals who had raised bad kids.

chadk66
04-04-2017, 12:41 PM
He could have if he seated a jury of 12 liberals who had raised bad kids.don't know if there's twelve liberals in OK:pound:

Murph
04-04-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't think it would matter whether he was up for re-election or not. He wasn't going to get a conviction in OK anyway. And he knew it.This is kind of my point. I say if you prosecute this case in OK, you should have already made plans for your retirement from politics in your home state.

chadk66
04-04-2017, 02:59 PM
This is kind of my point. I say if you prosecute this case in OK, you should have already made plans for your retirement from politics in your home state.absolutely if you look at it that way. :ThmbUp:

ElKabong
04-04-2017, 07:24 PM

FanDan was one of the kids that was killed?? :lol:

Lemon Drop Husker
04-04-2017, 07:29 PM
And I did likewise for yours, as usual :D :ThmbUp:

Incredible that a court of law found him innocent.

Maybe it should be moved to the 9th circuit court where only fantasy land laws exist?

Actor
04-08-2017, 09:35 AM
The grandfather of one of the guys killed in the home invasion says that the fight was not "fair" because the poor little boys were seriously out-gunned, and that they didn't deserve to die just for being stupid. As Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven "deserve's got nothin' to do with it." Stupid can get you killed.