PDA

View Full Version : dubai runup question

dilanesp
03-29-2017, 02:31 PM
There's apparently no runup at Meydan. Does anyone know whether there was a runup at Nad Al Sheba when Dubai Millenium ran his 1:59 2/5 in 2000? Because if there was none, that's gotta be one of the greatest 10 furlong times ever recorded on dirt.

Elliott Sidewater
03-29-2017, 02:49 PM
You are aware that 2000m is not quite the same as one and a quarter miles, right? It's actually 38.32 ft shorter than a mile and a quarter, so add about 3/4 of a second to the final time of the Dubai race to draw a reasonable comparison to North American mile and a quarter races.

cj
03-29-2017, 05:30 PM
When adjusted for distance comes out to 2:00.19.

dilanesp
03-29-2017, 08:17 PM
When adjusted for distance comes out to 2:00.19.

Was there a runup?

menifee
03-29-2017, 08:22 PM
It's amazing how many people don't understand the concept of run-up. Even top trainers. I was listening to Steve Asmussen on Byk and he remarked how slow the track was in Dubai and cited Biscuit's sprint time. It seemed that he did not understand that there's no run-up hence the slower times.

cj
03-29-2017, 08:26 PM
It's amazing how many people don't understand the concept of run-up. Even top trainers. I was listening to Steve Asmussen on Byk and he remarked how slow the track was in Dubai and cited Biscuit's sprint time. It seemed that he did not understand that there's no run-up hence the slower times.

The track was slow even considering no run up.

cj
03-29-2017, 08:27 PM
Was there a runup?

I assume no, but since the distance issue made your point moot I didn't verify.

dilanesp
03-29-2017, 08:33 PM

That's really weird because everyone knows, for instance, that Pimlico has a limited runup at 6 furlongs and that takes a second off all their sprint times. This isn't rocket science.