PDA

View Full Version : A rules question

OTM Al
07-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Every once in a while you see a horse in a race that is listed as running for purse money only, so no betting is allowed on him and his placement is ignored for purposes of paying out. Just curious to know when such a thing is allowed and how it comes about.

takeout
07-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Not really sure, and I hope we're talking about the same thing, but I think the horse gets mistakenly scratched through some sort of miscommunication and then is not allowed to be bet on for that reason. I think the short answer is that when you see this happen, someone made a mistake. It may have been a jock change or whatever that mistakenly got reported somehow as a scratch. Something like that. And I guess that once it’s reported as a scratch to the tote company it's not reversible. If this is wrong I’m sure I’ll be corrected in short order. :D

cj
07-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by OTM Al
Every once in a while you see a horse in a race that is listed as running for purse money only, so no betting is allowed on him and his placement is ignored for purposes of paying out. Just curious to know when such a thing is allowed and how it comes about.

I know in New York if one half of an entry is a late scratch, the other half runs for purse money only. Its pretty good for the bettor in my opinion.

Figman
11-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Late scratch rule - Ky differs from NY
http://www.drf.com/news/article/60669.html