PDA

View Full Version : Network coverage

Valuist
07-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Recently I was watching some Southern California racing on TVG. I was shocked to see some awkward camera cuts in the middle of races. Then I find out Fox Sports Net was also covering the races and it was their cameras. Why the hell do networks insist on ruining race coverage with too many cameras? I don't get it and I don't think I've heard one person ever say they liked NBC, ABC or ESPN's camera work. Camera cuts totally disrupt the flow of a race. But I guess those "brilliant" marketing MBAs all know what we want to see.

OTM Al
07-29-2004, 10:49 AM
It isn't great for those of who play the horses. My father was a big car racing fan and for the longest time, network coverage would spend 90% of the time just watching the leader go round and round and miss alot of the real action. He often complained about that similar situation. That said, these network programs aren't really there for us. They are there for the casual or potential fan. The importance of these network features is that they present an exciting product to draw more fans. I think its great they have so much coverage this year, even if from a regular's perspective it is kind of lame. Seriously, how many pro card plays you think watch those programs?

Bubbles
07-29-2004, 10:52 AM
The worst camera work I've seen was the Breeders Cup a few years ago, when they had that side camera down the stretch, and you couldn't see horses rallying until they were long gone. I personally thought that stunk, a normal view would have been fine. Would have been able to enjoy Macho Uno and Point Given going at it in the stretch of the Juvenile more, as well as Tiznow's stretch run in the Classic.

Valuist
07-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Interesting hearing one of the younger fans, Bubbles, say he prefers the regular track shot. Yet the marketing MBAs are convinced that the Bubbles of the world want 200 camera shots, with upside down view of the horses and in your face commentary from the announcers.

Bubbles
07-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I don't have a problem with 200 camera shots, just so long as one is the right one. ;)

Give me substance over style any day. That line right there is why I can't stand guys like Dick Vitale. When was the last time he ever said anything useful? If you're thinking right now, you get my point.

Valuist
07-29-2004, 11:45 AM
The last time Vitale said anything meaningful.....that's a tough one. It might've been to Pitino when their horse It's Awesome Baby was struggling a couple months ago. "Rick! We got to drop in class, baby! We're getting our butts kicked by these no longer diaper dandies! We've got to face 3YO claimers!!!!

kenwoodallpromos
07-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Camerapersons must have thought it was a polo or hockey match.
They may not know what the average fan wants to see and rely on industry types to make the decisions.
Part of the problem may be that in horseracing the track and industry people have a total disconnect to the average fan or bettors at tracks I have seen.
Almost all other events I go to like concerts and other sports there is usually always an opportunity for at least a few select fans to meet the stars.
The most I seem to be able to do at thr track is swear and holler at the jockeys as they ride by.
Maybe they know better than to mix with the crowd because 90% are mad at them for losing a race and $$$!LOL!!

Skanoochies
07-30-2004, 08:37 PM
The one angle I`ve always been disappointed in, is the run around the clubhouse and down the backstretch, ( at many tracks) where it is hard to tell if they are two or three deep. Why not have a more elevated shot where you can see the jockeys and silks of all the horses when they are fanned out three and four wide. Another pain in the ass is when they are coming down the stretch and the numbers on the screen are still the order from the far turn, and are totally out of whack. :mad:

Tom
07-31-2004, 11:06 AM
Overhead shots would be great for chart calling-they could actually check out some of their placements and provide more accurate data.

DJofSD
07-31-2004, 04:24 PM
I like the overhead shot when the horses are being loaded into the starting gate.

I really don't like the audio track of thundering hoof's while the race is running.

DJofSD

Valuist
07-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Another example today: the Test Stakes. ESPN covered the race and their camera had water all over it. You couldn't even see who was running. Shortly after the race was over, TVG covered it, using the Saratoga feed. Despite the rain, the shots were good and the lens was clear. Unbelievable a network could show a sporting event with a wet lens.