PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist Attack in London

Fager Fan
03-22-2017, 01:43 PM
They've got the guy, alive, and contrary to prior reports that he was Asian, the photo shows a dark-skinned man (black, Arab, hard to tell from the photo on the stretcher) with beard, and overweight, isn't Asian.

The guy apparently drove up on the sidewalk along the bridge, steamrolling everyone in his way. Reports of one woman with head injury, with throbbing blood spurting as she bled out. Another of a woman flipped over the bridge into the water below, heard she may've survived. I think 3 are being reported dead. Multiple others severely injured. Three cops stabbed by the terrorist after he left the vehicle prior to being shot by the cops.

barahona44
03-22-2017, 01:59 PM
Asian, when used to describe ethnicity in the UK usually (but not always) refers to someone from the South Asia sub-continent- India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka.My sister lives in England and this is what I have always seen when I've gone there.Over here, most people think of East and Southeast Asia people (China, Japan, Vietnam, Korea,etc) as being "Asian".
IIRC, "Oriental" is the catch-all term in the UK for those particuliar ethnicities.

And that region of South Asia has majority or significantly large Muslim populations.

Fager Fan
03-22-2017, 02:09 PM
Asian, when used to describe ethnicity in the UK usually (but not always) refers to someone from the South Asia sub-continent- India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka.My sister lives in England and this is what I have always seen when I've gone there.Over here, most people think of East and Southeast Asia people (China, Japan, Vietnam, Korea,etc) as being "Asian".
IIRC, "Oriental" is the catch-all term in the UK for those particuliar ethnicities.

And that region of South Asia has majority or significantly large Muslim populations.

I didn't know that. Interesting. Thanks.

I laugh though at the use of the word "oriental" because I used that term to describe an Asian whose country of origin I didn't know and was roundly blasted by my liberal friends for being un-PC and racist.

johnhannibalsmith
03-22-2017, 02:26 PM
I used 'oriental' without a clue it was taboo until BigMack finally lined me out a few years ago. I still don't understand the problem and I think it sounds much cooler than 'asian' but hey, it's up to y'all.

Fager Fan
03-22-2017, 02:45 PM
I used 'oriental' without a clue it was taboo until BigMack finally lined me out a few years ago. I still don't understand the problem and I think it sounds much cooler than 'asian' but hey, it's up to y'all.

Welcome to the club. :ThmbUp:

MargieRose
03-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Yes, we are a country of immigrants, but since when has there ever been a more hateful and tyrannical mix of immigrants stemming from one ethnic or religious group than that of Muslims? But yet, some people, too many people, keep insisting that we should continue to welcome ALL immigrants, including those crossing the Mexican border, with open arms. Really?? :puke:

tucker6
03-22-2017, 03:05 PM
same. Still don't understand why oriental is taboo.

GaryG
03-22-2017, 03:49 PM
I made that same mistake. I was told bluntly that an Oriental is a rug and the people are Asians.

_______
03-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Oriental is an outdated term, nothing more.

It's just as racist as Indian is when referring to a Native American.

I wouldn't be proud of being out of date. But I seriously doubt anyone is going to think anything anything beyond "old fogey" when you utter the term.

chadk66
03-22-2017, 05:50 PM
unfortunately this will surprise nobody

woodtoo
03-22-2017, 06:15 PM
unfortunately this will surprise nobody
It's part of the jihad, they don't want to surprise acceptance is preferred.
It is now a way of life now in London ,Brussels, France, Germany, Sweden.

We must resist.

_______
03-22-2017, 06:36 PM
It's part of the jihad, they don't want to surprise acceptance is preferred.
It is now a way of life now in London ,Brussels, France, Germany, Sweden.

We must resist.

It's a little hard to take seriously the idea that "terrorism" is meant to inspire "acceptance"

I think it's meant to inspire an over-reaction that confirms their ideological meme. Which dovetails quite nicely with the meme of nationists around the world.

We all need an external enemy to reaffirm our tribal instincts.

VigorsTheGrey
03-22-2017, 06:48 PM
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=occident&fr=yhs-mozilla-004&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fidata.over-blog.com%2F5%2F44%2F35%2F62%2FOrient-et-occident-an-400.gif#id=1&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fidata.over-blog.com%2F5%2F44%2F35%2F62%2FOrient-et-occident-an-400.gif&action=click

davew
03-22-2017, 08:07 PM
How can they jump to the conclusion it is a terrorist attack, when it could just be a simple workplace accident / violence?

woodtoo
03-22-2017, 09:21 PM
It's a little hard to take seriously the idea that "terrorism" is meant to inspire "acceptance"

I think it's meant to inspire an over-reaction that confirms their ideological meme. Which dovetails quite nicely with the meme of nationists around the world.

We all need an external enemy to reaffirm our tribal instincts.

That's Hilarious!!!!!:jump::jump::jump:

Islams first name is submission........

boxcar
03-22-2017, 09:38 PM
How can they jump to the conclusion it is a terrorist attack, when it could just be a simple workplace accident / violence?

The guy was probably just an illegal alien in the country who never took driving lessons to get a license. Nothing to see here...

Tom
03-22-2017, 10:04 PM

I think "y'all" is taboo, too.:cool:

NorCalGreg
03-22-2017, 10:24 PM
I was once trying to hopefully date a really cute Asian girl. Honestly I didn't know this was wrong (at the time)

-I said something corny, something guys say when trying to make conversation....I said something like "I've always thought Oriental girls were cute"

Bewildered, as she stormed away....I hollered "call me"!

davew
03-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Oriental is an outdated term, nothing more.

I wouldn't be proud of being out of date. But I seriously doubt anyone is going to think anything anything beyond "old fogey" when you utter the term.

the greatest african president ever made using oriental illegal

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-tsuchiyama-oriental-insult-20160601-snap-story.html

HalvOnHorseracing
03-22-2017, 11:11 PM

I did a lot of work with Native Americans and one point in my career, and I wouldn't characterize the use of the word Indian as racist. In some quarters it may be considered culturally insensitive, but not a pejorative equivalent to the N-word.

In many cases the specific tribe would express a preference. For example, most Navajo preferred to be called Dine or Navajo. The more important thing for them was identification with a specific tribe, not being lumped into a generic describe-all.

Many Native Americans actually used the term "Indian country" to describe tribal lands, and I never knew anyone who blanched at the use of the term Indian country by anyone. The term "the rez" was also commonly used by tribal folks, although I seem to remember they were the only ones to use it.

I also knew some Indians who disliked the term Native American because they believed technically anyone born here is a native American. Instead they would prefer the term "indigenous peoples."

There was a lot to remember when dealing with tribal folks.

Best anecdote from a meeting I attended. One of the tribal members said, "you call it red tape. We call it white tape."

barahona44
03-22-2017, 11:52 PM
Isn't Junior supposed to be minding the store?

Great Britain is our closest ally in Europe and the country that we have based much of the structure of our society on.Today London suffered a terrorist attack that saw (so far) three innocent civilians killed and a London police officer murdered.And all Little Donny can do, instead of collecting rent checks for Daddy , is to criticize the mayor of London.

If Junior offering words of support is too much to ask,he should at least keep his mouth shut.Mayor Khan is absolutely right.Terrorists are not going to blow up the general store in East Cupcake.They're going after high profile targets in major cities.Paris.London.Madrid. Brussells.Washington.New York.

Get back in your limosuine, Donny.No one asked your opinion.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/donald-trump-jr-launches-rant-10077875

Murph
03-22-2017, 11:54 PM
I was once trying to hopefully date a really cute Asian girl. Honestly I didn't know this was wrong (at the time)

-I said something corny, something guys say when trying to make conversation....I said something like "I've always thought Oriental girls were cute"

Bewildered, as she stormed away....I hollered "call me"!This is too funny. Almost makes me miss dating. I'm looking for some new material.
"Call me!" :lol:

JustRalph
03-23-2017, 12:44 AM

Great Britain is our closest ally in Europe and the country that we have based much of the structure of our society on.Today London suffered a terrorist attack that saw (so far) three innocent civilians killed and a London police officer murdered.And all Little Donny can do, instead of collecting rent checks for Daddy , is to criticize the mayor of London.

If Junior offering words of support is too much to ask,he should at least keep his mouth shut.Mayor Khan is absolutely right.Terrorists are not going to blow up the general store in East Cupcake.They're going after high profile targets in major cities.Paris.London.Madrid. Brussells.Washington.New York.

Yep....let's normalize terrorism in big cities. Bullshit. The Mayor is full of it. Terrorism is not part and parcel of living in a big city.

Tokyo, largest city in the world. No terrorism. I wonder why?

NJ Stinks
03-23-2017, 12:48 AM
"Call me!" :lol:

I agree! :lol:

NorCalGreg :ThmbUp:

barahona44
03-23-2017, 02:10 AM
Yep....let's normalize terrorism in big cities. Bullshit. The Mayor is full of it. Terrorism is not part and parcel of living in a big city.

Tokyo, largest city in the world. No terrorism. I wonder why?

I forgot Trump Jr. said it, so it must be true.Please forgive me.:rolleyes:

If you want stick your head in the sand so be it.Terrorists strike big cities.Or has that fact escaped you.The mayor never said it was normal or has to be accepted.Trump Jr is just doing a piss poor imitation of Daddy.

At absolute minimum his timing sucks.

woodtoo
03-23-2017, 08:59 AM
I forgot Trump Jr. said it, so it must be true.Please forgive me.:rolleyes:

If you want stick your head in the sand so be it.Terrorists strike big cities.Or has that fact escaped you.The mayor never said it was normal or has to be accepted.Trump Jr is just doing a piss poor imitation of Daddy.

At absolute minimum his timing sucks.

You know you are at a new low when you accept terrorists over your own President. :blush:

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2017, 09:50 AM

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/donald-trump-jr-launches-rant-10077875Oh my...remember when the left used to cry to the right that we must "RESPECT THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT."

I guess that rule gets thrown out whenever the (R) gets back in there...

Funny stuff barahona. Funny stuff.

Fager Fan
03-23-2017, 11:25 AM

Why don't you try to understand what he is getting at instead of jumping to criticize? He saying that we shouldn't except terrorism anywhere as normal. It wasn't normal 20 years ago. We need to fight it and rid the world of it. It's a tough fight but that doesn't mean we don't try.

JustRalph
03-23-2017, 11:50 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4340290/Truth-t-like-says-KATIE-HOPKINS.html

Brilliant!

MargieRose
03-23-2017, 12:05 PM
"Sadiq Khan (http://www.independent.co.uk/topic/SadiqKhan) has said he believes the threat of terror attacks (http://www.independent.co.uk/topic/terrorism) are “part and parcel of living in a big city” and encouraged Londoners to be vigilant to combat dangers."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sadiq-khan-london-mayor-terrorism-attacks-part-and-parcel-major-cities-new-york-bombing-a7322846.html

Khan's use of the phrase 'part and parcel' is what many are taking exception to. The dictionary defines 'part and parcel' as: an essential, necessary, or integral part. No, terrorism is not an 'essential' part; no, terrorism is not a 'necessary' part; no, terrorism should not be resolved/accepted to be an 'integral part' of living in a big city or anywhere, for that matter. Khan misspoke and should be criticized for that statement!!

davew
03-23-2017, 12:11 PM
Utah man on 25th anniversary trip one of dead

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mother-on-her-way-to-pick-up-children-from-school-named-as-victim-of-the-london-terror-attack-084251275.html

jk3521
03-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Of course, both men are correct. One is speaking of reality, the other , how things should be.

Fager Fan
03-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Khan surely meant no harm either. The genie's out of the bottle and he's unfortunately correct that we, particularly those in big cities, have to be more vigilant. None of us know really if we can turn back the clock on terrorism, but hopefully we can as it regards Muslim extremist terrorism.

It's just a matter of view, and I understand wanting to fix something that just isn't right, I'm that kind of person. But we've all also been in situations where we know there's no fix. I don't see any reason to fault either person here, even if like Don you still have the fighting spirit.

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2017, 12:45 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4340290/Truth-t-like-says-KATIE-HOPKINS.html

Brilliant!Yup.

boxcar
03-23-2017, 12:46 PM

Brilliant!

It's much preferable to be a dead PC activists. Long live Multiculturalism...at the expense of the many dead.

Native Texan III
03-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Yup.

An absolute garbage article by a despised lady known for her hatred and lies.

"London is a city so desperate to be seen as tolerant, no news of the injured was released. No clue about who was safe or not.

The incident was covered in full by the media from the instance it was known about. Reports went on through the evening and night.

Liberals convince themselves multiculturalism works because we all die together, too.

Vacuous statement and multiculturalism has proven for decades to work very well in UK, particularly in London

An entire city of monkeys: see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Blind. Deaf. And dumb.
Members of the civil protection outside the damaged front of Brussels Airport, in Zaventem, a year ago today. The attacks left dozens dead and hundreds injured

Relevance to London? London has been preparing to protect against terrorism and faced terrorosism for decades. Citizens are regularly updated.

Members of the civil protection outside the damaged front of Brussels Airport, in Zaventem, a year ago today. The attacks left dozens dead and hundreds injured

Immersed in a seething pit of hatred, hidden in pockets of communities plagued by old animosities and ancient strife.

These people may have left their lands. But they have brought every tension, every conflict, every bit of fight here with them.

The attacker was British born, lived in UK his whole life and had no convcitions for terrorist acts. There are no seething pits of hatred anywhere in the UK. Migrants are far more law abiding than the native population.

The Afghans hate the Somalias who loathe the Eritreans. As it was before, it is now. London is a city of ghettos behind a thin veneer of civility kept polished by a Muslim mayor whose greatest validation is his father's old job.

Son-of-a-bus-driver Sadiq.

I see him now, penning a missive about how London is a beautiful and tolerant city, how we are united by shared values and understanding, and how we will not be cowed by terror.

Sure enough, there he was, saying exactly that, just now. Fool.

London is not city of any ghettoes - not a single one. There are zero no go areas in London nor anywhere else in the UK.
London is not in the slightest cowed by terror.
That a son of bus driver can be elected as London Mayor is a matter of pride, not sneering.
London has been through far worse. From the nightly bombing by the Germans to IRA bombs. London got straight back to normal this morning.
Nearly 4 people are killed on UK roads each day - the attack was just one sad incident.

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2017, 02:22 PM
You just proved her point. Knowingly or not.

Let's not start a war over this. Just agree to disagree.

Thanks.

Valuist
03-24-2017, 12:26 AM
Native Texan,

Do you really not understand the relevance of the writer's reference of Brussels?
Where do you think the unelected officials of the EU issue their edicts on issues such as immigration?

Fager Fan
03-24-2017, 08:05 AM
When a mighty enemy like we've never seen tells us of their intent to spread out their army all over the West to eventually rule the world via their religion, why do we ignore it? The entire point is that if we ignore it, we wake up one day to realize what a huge mistake we made. Even those born to our countries are susceptible to become their soldiers when they pledge their allegiance to their religion.

woodtoo
03-24-2017, 11:31 AM
9 suspects arrested so far in this "lone wolf terror attack".:lol: