PDA

View Full Version : Malagacy $75k Maiden Claimer

SuperPickle
03-19-2017, 11:57 AM
So Malagacy the current undefeated probable Derby favorite was entered in a maiden claimer on 12/16 but scratched with a fever.

That's why he won by 15 first time out and paid $13.80 for Todd Pletcher. All the wise guys (plus myself) assumed that since Pletcher entered him for a tag first out he was a dog.

Btw... CJ loves to point out Pletcher, Brown, and Baffert train every horse. The downside is they don't have to enough condition races for all their young horses.

Imagine if Pletcher lost the Derby favorite in a maide claimer.

jahura2
03-19-2017, 09:04 PM
So Malagacy the current undefeated probable Derby favorite was entered in a maiden claimer on 12/16 but scratched with a fever.

That's why he won by 15 first time out and paid $13.80 for Todd Pletcher. All the wise guys (plus myself) assumed that since Pletcher entered him for a tag first out he was a dog.

Btw... CJ loves to point out Pletcher, Brown, and Baffert train every horse. The downside is they don't have to enough condition races for all their young horses.

Good Stuff Pickle, I wasn't aware of this fact. Thanks for the info!

SuperPickle
03-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Good Stuff Pickle, I wasn't aware of this fact. Thanks for the info!

Thanks. In hindsight it appears it was more out of necessity versus talent. I guess when you have a barn filled with $500k purchases they all don't fit in MSW so odd man out draws a claimer.

SoCalCircuit
03-20-2017, 12:02 AM
There's an unwritten rule not to claim firsters in high level MC races. And I especially doubt anyone would snipe this from Pletcher unless he wanted to end up in a stretcher.

SuperPickle
03-20-2017, 12:36 AM
There's an unwritten rule not to claim firsters in high level MC races. And I especially doubt anyone would snipe this from Pletcher unless he wanted to end up in a stretcher.

So I'm aware of the rule. It I honestly thought it was outdated. People didn't do it anymore.

Your in SoCal. Don't t Sadler and Hronis do it?

SoCalCircuit
03-20-2017, 12:52 AM
It's absolutely done, but there's no way a 190k Pletcher firster at Gulfstream is getting claimed if he was only in that condition because he couldn't find an appropriate MSW. Now Pletcher had mentioned his workouts prior to that we're subpar, so maybe he just underestimated the animal and was looking to cut his losses - I'm not sure. But if it was merely because that was the only fitting race available, he wasn't getting claimed IMO.

EasyGoer89
03-20-2017, 12:52 AM

Good to know, I'll be looking more carefully at these high level claimers with a different perspective.

SoCalCircuit
03-20-2017, 01:11 AM
Anecdotal, and idk how many of these races were run, but no 75k tag claims this meet at Gulfstream (Nov - March)

magwell
03-20-2017, 01:58 AM
The day he won by 15 Jan 4 Todd had another in the race (Diamond Jim) who was bet down with two others that also took money, word was that Diamond Jim was the better of the two.......;)

Fager Fan
03-20-2017, 08:19 AM
It's absolutely done, but there's no way a 190k Pletcher firster at Gulfstream is getting claimed if he was only in that condition because he couldn't find an appropriate MSW. Now Pletcher had mentioned his workouts prior to that we're subpar, so maybe he just underestimated the animal and was looking to cut his losses - I'm not sure. But if it was merely because that was the only fitting race available, he wasn't getting claimed IMO.

I've never heard of such a rule. Given how far removed this was from "You don't claim a man's last horse," I can't imagine anyone would've had a problem claiming off Pletcher in any race.

onefast99
03-20-2017, 10:04 AM
I've never heard of such a rule. Given how far removed this was from "You don't claim a man's last horse," I can't imagine anyone would've had a problem claiming off Pletcher in any race.Claiming Rule 1-buyer beware. Someone on this forum did a chart of the horses claimed from Todd and what they did in their races thereafter, maybe someone can find that post.
Personally I wouldn't since I claimed Speedboat from him on May 27th 2007.

depalma113
03-22-2017, 11:09 PM

If this Malagacy goes off the Derby favorite, there are going to be some big payoffs. He wants no part of a mile and a quarter.