PDA

View Full Version : AVG anti-virus?

Speed Figure
07-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Does anyone use this program? are there any other free virus programs that are better?

Dick Schmidt
07-28-2004, 05:18 PM
I use it and recommend it. It is the best free anti-virus I have found, and it has been recommended by several magazines as well. I also use McAfee (it came with my Dell) and it seems to work just as well as the commercial product. Several times it has blocked e-mails containing viruses before I opened them. I like it a lot.

Be aware that it's home site is in Germany, and thus it may be slow to download or update during normal business hours.

Dick

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Speed Figure
07-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time Dick!

so.cal.fan
07-28-2004, 06:53 PM
I used it, but it won't be free for long, they cancel and you have to purchase it....it's very expensive.
It is a good product, however, I switched to NOD32......I purchased it, and it seems to be a good product as well.

andicap
07-28-2004, 09:32 PM
I've had it for a few weeks and its great. Spotted a worm today and I got rid of it. The freebie is nothing fancy -- no bells and whistles but you can set it up to scan daily and it monitors email.

Dick Schmidt
07-29-2004, 01:31 AM
SoCal,

What do you mean "they cancel and you have to purchase it"? I've used it for more than two years, and no one has ever suggested that I pay for anything. Sure, they have a commercial version that they say is more powerful, but it is aimed at commercial users with a large LAN and many nodes. For the home user, it remains free. I just visited their website and found nothing about charging home users.

Dick

Live each day as if it were a carrier landing - if you can walk away from it - be joyous!

andicap
07-29-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Dick Schmidt
SoCal,

What do you mean "they cancel and you have to purchase it"? I've used it for more than two years, and no one has ever suggested that I pay for anything. Sure, they have a commercial version that they say is more powerful, but it is aimed at commercial users with a large LAN and many nodes. For the home user, it remains free. I just visited their website and found nothing about charging home users.

Dick

Live each day as if it were a carrier landing - if you can walk away from it - be joyous!

ditto

so.cal.fan
07-29-2004, 12:21 PM
The man who put together my computer installed it at the last minuet, after about 6 months, they sent me a notice saying I would have to purchase it.
I went to the website and didn't see where I could download a free version.
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed on my computer, so I very well could have missed it.
Anyway, I purchased this software I have now, it is good for a year.
I liked AVG....it was just very expensive to buy their software.