to testify that the fishing equipment Scott used was not
appropriate for sturgeon fishing (it was more for light fresh
water fishing). What fascinated me was this wasn't your
usual expert witness courts use.

Like doesn't the IRS have handicapping experts on their
staff of tax agents to understand what unscrupulous
bettors do?

In the recent case of pick six scandal.
Don't know this for sure, but they probably had some pro handicappers testify that the combinations that were
chosen by the guys who fixed that pick six were not of
the norm.(Who would single the first 3 or 4 races them
being longshots and buy the rest of the ticket?).

Macdiarmadillo
07-28-2004, 06:54 PM
In the Fix Six, whose ringleader is running around loose now, the odd bet structure was noticed and questioned by the parimutuel manager. Meanwhile all the bosses were falling over themselves to award the money ASAP. The case was largely made on the ringleader spilling his guts (therefore the short sentence) and ratting out his good friends, not on any expert testimony.

Hey, if you steal millions (like the Fix Six guy) and pay the proper taxes on it, the IRS will have nothing to say about it. I don't think the IRS needs much technical racing knowledge even for the breeding game whose tax rules are codified to start with. Somebody once got caught using a rented box of losing tickets when called in for an audit, but I could guess that the bet types, amounts and even location did not match the sign-ups the guy was trying to offset. Maybe it was the third time in a week that that agent saw the same box!

kenwoodallpromos
07-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Fontana, the guy that made the safety rail, is online with testimony. I'm not sure what kind of a case handicappers can testify to. Laws and rules must be testified to by presons with real jobs.

Macdiarmadillo
07-29-2004, 02:18 AM
Could you please point us to Mr. Fontana's remarks?