PDA

View Full Version : Is a selection process handicapping or is it a system

jasperson
03-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Is a selection process handicapping or is it a system? I have a friend that has a very ridge method of selecting a race to bet on.
1. No turf or Maiden races
2 No routes over 8.5f
3 Only 6f and 6.5f sprints
4 Horse must be top early speed and top speed rating horse
If the horse meets these conditions then he will consider the other handicapping factors
Is this just a selection process or is it handicapping or is this a system?

ultracapper
03-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Pre-handicapping criteria.

dav4463
03-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Sounds like the SuperChalk System.

whodoyoulike
03-16-2017, 08:54 PM
As you've presented it, I don't think it's either a handicapping process or a system but as Ultracapper stated these are "pre-handicapping" criteria for this individual before he begins any handicapping.

rsetup
03-16-2017, 11:25 PM
Is a selection process handicapping or is it a system? I have a friend that has a very ridge method of selecting a race to bet on.
2 No routes over 8.5f
If the horse meets these conditions then he will consider the other handicapping factors

Is this a serious question?

Mr. Pick 5
03-17-2017, 12:00 AM
Sounds like the SuperChalk System.

:lol::lol: So True.

Elliott Sidewater
03-17-2017, 02:04 AM
Neither. It's torture.

Robert Fischer
03-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Pre-capping criteria is a good way to find plays within your 'circle of competence'.

Hopefully your circle of competence contains a few models that tend to find value. Otherwise you are going to get relatively frequent winners at relatively poor value, for a slow death.

DeltaLover
03-17-2017, 03:45 PM
2 No routes over 8.5f

Why bother with definitions? Selection process can be anything you want to call it; what matters is how you are using it and what kind of results you are getting out of it.

The "process" of your friend, represents a very naive and chalky approach that obviously has no chance of making money; chances are that he will very soon came up with some "improved" version, adding some silly rule and continue to do so over and over until he will decide to give up.

Cratos
03-17-2017, 04:05 PM
2 No routes over 8.5f

Using the following definition: “A set of detailed methods, procedures and routines created to carry out a specific activity, perform a duty, or solve a problem.”

Handicap and system are the same.

Frankie D
03-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Does not "system" indicate selection of winning plays?

and "handicapping" mean establishing pre-run odds and payback criteria of a selection process?

HalvOnHorseracing
03-21-2017, 09:00 PM
I've always thought the term handicapping (which originally referred to rating horses by assigning them weights as in the Experimental Free Handicap) was an odd term to apply to a rating and valuation process, but it does have a traditional significance. Whether you use mechanical systems or intuitive systems or statistical systems, it's all an element of selecting or evaluating to me.

reckless
03-22-2017, 02:24 PM
2 No routes over 8.5f

Neither ... it's a long time between bets. :)