PDA

View Full Version : Just Can't Get It

GMV
02-11-2002, 07:23 PM
Can anyone help a computer challeged handicapper learn how to download past performances into an Excel spreadsheet? I have a basic understanding of Excel and I know this has been discussed before with advice given to use Infotran. When I open Infortran, I end up with a black box with white letters that keeps telling me that such and such file already exists, do I want to delete it? I say "no" and it continues on with the same question for file after file.
More than willing to pay for your tutoring.
:confused: :confused:

ranchwest
02-11-2002, 07:36 PM
I think anyone who is going to help will need to know your data source. Where do you get your files? Specifically what files are they?

NormanTD
02-11-2002, 07:48 PM
Okay, like RanchWest said, we need your data source. I'm assuming that you're using BRIS since that's where Infotran comes from and I'm assuming you're using the single file format *. drf files.

Unless you know some Visual Basic programming, the single file format *.drf files are too large to use in Excel. They are about 1400+ "columns" accross. BRIS has their format listed somewhere. You'll need that.

Infotran should have some instructions with it somewhere. What it will basically do is take that very large (wide) BRIS file and extract some data from it. Which data? Whatever you tell it to. You have to set up a file that Infotran will read that will tell it which "columns" of information to extract. I think you may even have to specify the name of the "write to" file.

This is all I can remember off the top of my head but shout if you need some more direction. I could get all this stuff from BRIS and sort of walk you thru it if you really need to.

Tom
02-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by GMV
Can anyone help a computer challeged handicapper learn how to download past performances into an Excel spreadsheet? I have a basic understanding of Excel and I know this has been discussed before with advice given to use Infotran. When I open Infortran, I end up with a black box with white letters that keeps telling me that such and such file already exists, do I want to delete it? I say "no" and it continues on with the same question for file after file.
More than willing to pay for your tutoring.
:confused: :confused:

You use the infotran.exe file only once-to install the program. After that, run itf.exe - this is the program. When you run infortran.exe a seccond time, it is trying to reloead all the files that are already there. Go to your infotran folder and read the read.me.txt file. In that folder, there are three .brs files - these are control files to extract the PP's. Run itf.exe and "press any key" on the first prompt. The screen will clear and then ask you for the name of a control file. Type in "pdf3pp.brs. you will now be asked for the name of your source file. Your source file is the bris PP file you downloaded and unzipped. It will be "xxx.drf" (make sure it is the infotran folder).
Now you will be asked for a target file. You decide a name for this file. Say you are extracting pp infor for Aqueduct on January 31, 2002. Name the file "aqi013101.txt". Next, answer "a" for all the files, then "n" for no, do not remove the quaote marks, then the program will extract data into the file you named and it is ready to be improted into Access, Excel, etc,..
The xxx.brs control files can be easily written to take out only those fields you need and I can show you how to do this easily.
I wrote a simple file to extract the horse's name, Prime Power rating, and race number. Then I can just sort each race by PP number and have a quick sheet handy to handicap with.
Try this out and post tomorrow how you made out. We can work thorugh it and you'll be up and running in no time. Feel free to email me and if we need to, we can alway go the war room and do this in real time.

Good luck,
Tom

anotherdave
02-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Thanks Tom,

I tried it out too. Good instructions.

Maybe I can give this a shot too!

AD

GMV
02-12-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Tom. I'm checking this out before running out the door to the work world. I'll try this out.

anotherdave
02-12-2002, 05:45 PM
Hi Tom,

I tried it out too. It seemed to work fine, but when I examined the file in Excel the last column seems to be the 1/2 mile time of the leader - everything else that I need was there, but no 6f or final time. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Much appreciated.

Tom
02-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by anotherdave
Hi Tom,

I tried it out too. It seemed to work fine, but when I examined the file in Excel the last column seems to be the 1/2 mile time of the leader - everything else that I need was there, but no 6f or final time. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Much appreciated.

I'll try to attach the .brs file - it will list every field in the output.
If I can't do this, just open the .brs file and each numbered line has a field description. If you need fileds that aren't there, try one of the other .bts files - they may have the info. Or, we can write one specifically for your needs - it is pretty easy to do and I will gladly help you out. I am custom-writting my own now. PRetty neat program, but I admit, it took me several attempts to get it runnig (over a year's time). I finally got it working and it ssssuits my needs for now.

Tom

(Looks lik I had to rename the file - .brs not an allowed file type. I renamed it with a .txt extension - it will still open and you can read it)
;)

anotherdave
02-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Thanks Tom,

I had looked through that file on my text editor too. That's what confused me. I seemed to get almost all of the field there excepts the last couple of fractional times, jockey, trainer, etc. The last 12 or 13 items. I'll try it again with a different drf file. I must have done something wrong. Wouldn't be the first time! Thanks again.

syyamo
02-12-2002, 08:16 PM
For loading directly into Excel you may want to try the Bris Multi file format. The single file is split into 4 separate files and I believe the number of Excel columns will be well under the maximum allowed.

gillenr
02-13-2002, 09:34 AM
Your post clarified the procedure - I think. My previous efforts at using INFOTRAN failed because I was trying to use an existing .xls template as the target file. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the target file is a new file which then is imported into Excel.
Thanks again.

Tom
02-13-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by gillenr
Your post clarified the procedure - I think. My previous efforts at using INFOTRAN failed because I was trying to use an existing .xls template as the target file. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the target file is a new file which then is imported into Excel.
Thanks again.

Correct-a - mundo! sounds like you're cooking now.
Good luck.

Tom :)

gillenr
02-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Yep, it works! Now for the hard part - creating a custom control file, but it's doable.

Tom
02-18-2002, 08:35 PM
Once you have collected a number of extracted text files, the next logical step might be to create a database in Access of other db program. I do this and one thing you have to do is to make certain fields primary keys to aviod importing duplicate records. I make the track, date, and race number primary keys so that every time I import a new test file, any race I already have in the database is not put in again. If you want to have a line for each horse in the the race, then make track, date, race number, and horse's name or finish position primary keys.

Tom

gillenr
02-20-2002, 05:05 PM
Well, I made a control file that does what I want it to do. However, it repeats info on track name, date & race #. I would like track name & date to appear once, and race # at top of each race once. Is that possible?

Second ? is, what are the 6 apparently random characters at the end of each source file record?

If I can, I'll attach both files.
Well, they didn't attach. I'm using the BRIS sample file aqu0207.drf & this is my control file:

90'

Just noticed I left last comma out.

gillenr
02-20-2002, 05:10 PM
Don't see them, so:
My source is aqu0207.drf(the BRIS sample file).
The control is:
90'

Just noticed I left out the last comma.

Tom
02-20-2002, 06:12 PM
If you take out all the -111's except the last one, you will get this output, all on one line. This wold make it easier to put into Excel and do calculations. I don't know how you can get the first three to priont only once, since they need to change each race. This one's beyond me.

"AQU","20010101", 1, 1,"AMBI'S BRO",0,0,9,,14,34050,76,,
"AQU","20010101", 1, 2,"ITALIAN DAN",4,1185,14,,4,11885,56,,
"AQU","20010101", 1, 3,"ROLL ALL NIGHT",2,630,17,,5,20850,9,,
"AQU","20010101", 1, 4,"GOLDEN TENT",1,0,19,,10,48970,10,,
"AQU","20010101", 1, 5,"DOLLY'S BOW",3,1300,10,,17,20374,22,,
"AQU","20010101", 1, 6,"MALAKA HEAD",1,240,9,,3,13860,16,,
"AQU","20010101", 1, 7,"NEW EDGE",2,440,12,,15,27151,33,,
"AQU","20010101", 1, 8,"FINAL COUNT",1,0,11,,0,0,10,,
"AQU","20010101", 1, 9,"GO CHANDLER",0,0,16,,14,39760,14,,
"AQU","20010101", 1,10,"THREE SEVENS",0,0,12,,7,18975,21,,
"AQU","20010101", 1,11,"ABASQUE",0,0,18,,18,30330,30,,
"AQU","20010101", 1,12,"WERKES TECH",1,280,6,,4,35880,10,,
"AQU","20010101", 1,13,"LORD VALENTINE",1,1200,11,,0,0,14,,

Tom
:confused: :confused: :confused:

gillenr
02-20-2002, 06:57 PM
You verified my thoughts. It is something I can work around.
Thanks again.

grahors
09-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Well...finally got up the nerve to try Tom's instructs...got me farther than I had ever gotten before...actually can now go from source..to file..to target or whatever order they are in...and seems to work.
BUT, whenever I open with word spreadsheet or excell, there is no rhyme or reason and can't make heads or tails of it.
Spreadsheet looks cleaner and Excel looks like all jibberish.
HELP????
Cecil :bang:

takeout
09-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Can anyone help a computer challeged handicapper learn how to download past performances into an Excel spreadsheet?
You may want to check with hcap. He has an “importer” that does that stuff.

Basically the "importer" will open all data files that you put in one directory, and will extract the scratches, race cancellations, WPS, exacta, and trifecta prices from the "xrd" results files you put in another.
The program will handle a few months at a time and of data files- (.50 cent TSN or Bris or Tsn Procaps), and automatically run in "batch mode". It will find the corresponding result files and combine what happened that day with the info in the data files and make a database table for use in Excel or a database program. All fields are opened and can be easily used as well as creating any compound factors you wish directly in Excel.

He set up a custom set of programs for me for extracting info about trainers, jockeys and all "connections"-owners, breeders, sire dams, etc. My experience with him (and I’m pretty computer challenged myself) was a positive one. :ThmbUp:

EQUIPACE
09-06-2007, 12:51 AM
With Excel 2007 You Can Leave Good Old Infotran In The Dust!

I recently posted the latest update about this information!

John
~żo