PDA

View Full Version : NCAA tourney thread

Valuist
03-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Biggest mistakes? The committee doesn't realize the best team in the state of Kansas is Wichita State, and not Kansas. Wichita is ranked 8th in the kenpom.com rankings, while Kansas is only 7th. Maryland as a 6 seed? What a joke. They were a bubble team who would've been fortunate to be an 11 seed.

ReplayRandall
03-13-2017, 12:29 PM
It's funny you mention Wichita State, as Illinois State (27-6, 17-1, RPI 33, KenPom 51) got left out, despite not having lost to anyone besides Wichita State since December....

Valuist
03-13-2017, 02:29 PM
It's funny you mention Wichita State, as Illinois State (27-6, 17-1, RPI 33, KenPom 51) got left out, despite not having lost to anyone besides Wichita State since December....

It's mildly surprising the committee left out Illinois State, as the committee puts so much weight on RPI. But Illinois State, with a 51 Ken Pom and 60th BPI rating, and not a killer schedule, probably better suited to NIT. If you aren't top 45, can't count on going to NCAA.

rastajenk
03-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Personally, I'd rather have Illinois St and Akron in before double-digit losers from the bigs like Wake and Vandy, but I'm not going to lose any sleep about it. Overall, I have no beef with this year's seedings and pairings.

Murph
03-14-2017, 04:22 PM
I started a bracket pool at CBS Sports if anyone would like to join in. The invite reads:

Brackets are back and I've started a pool, PA Off Topic Sports, on CBSSports.com. Join now before the tournament starts so we can compete all of March Madness!

http://pasports.mayhem.cbssports.com/e/019534ec6224c235d6622e7c46130f6ecaf59ac234c5a58b?t tag=BPM17_cpy_invite_new

Valuist
03-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Two of the "joke seeds", Minnesota as a 5 and Maryland as a 6, both out in first game. What's funny is to hear the sports media call Middle Tennessee State's win an upset. MTSU was favored over Minny in that game.

Murph
03-18-2017, 01:25 AM
I started a bracket pool at CBS Sports if anyone would like to join in. The invite reads:

Brackets are back and I've started a pool, PA Off Topic Sports, on CBSSports.com. Join now before the tournament starts so we can compete all of March Madness!

http://pasports.mayhem.cbssports.com/e/019534ec6224c235d6622e7c46130f6ecaf59ac234c5a58b?t tag=BPM17_cpy_invite_new
Two entries in my bracket challenge! Excellent turnout actually. Thanks for playing, JJ. It looks like we are evenly matched going into weekend round 2 action.

I broke my East bracket missing both USC and New Mexico St. Broke again in the South with a foolish selection for Kansas State vs the Bearcats. In addition I missed VCU, Minnessota and Oklahoma St.

JJ has a solid first round advance breaking only with SMU while missing singles on VA Tech, Marquette, Miami, Vermont, Creighton and Seton Hall.

BRACKET RANK SCORE BEST POSSIBLE
Murph 1 26 182
J J 2 25 183

2nd round results may result in a large advantage for one player so I will have that in mind while I enjoy the games this weekend.

I gonna need some green aspirin in the morning.

rastajenk
03-18-2017, 11:27 PM
One of my ESPN entries was unblemished Thursday. So for about 14 hours I stood astride the bracket landscape with a number one next to my name out of 10 million others; that's never happened before, and provided a minor rush. :cool:

I lost the first game Friday and began to revert to the norm.

Here is a current piece about perfect brackets...one left picking ISU, who is back in it right now:
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracket-beat/2017-03-16/tracking-last-perfect-bracket-2017-ncaa-tournament

I do have a few Wisc-Fla and X-Zona matchups in my fistful of tickets. :ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
03-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Kentucky -4 W.St. (best bet)

Xavier +7.5 Arizona

Florida - 1.5 Wisconsin

MichSt. +8 Kansas

mountainman
03-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Even more smug than usual at the conclusion of a big win, John Calipari just said "we are well coached to do the little things."

Third world dictators exude less arrogance than big-time college coaches.

Calipari just lacks subtlety, tons of his peers are jedi-masters at seeming to praise their players while carefully stressing the aspects of a win that most reflect on coaching.

davew
03-20-2017, 01:32 AM
Even more smug than usual at the conclusion of a big win, John Calipari just said "we are well coached to do the little things."

Third world dictators exude less arrogance than big-time college coaches.

Calipari just lacks subtlety, tons of his peers are jedi-masters at seeming to praise their players while carefully stressing the aspects of a win that most reflect on coaching.

arrogance is what they need to get and keep those million dollar salaries

Murph
03-20-2017, 10:07 AM
One of my ESPN entries was unblemished Thursday. So for about 14 hours I stood astride the bracket landscape with a number one next to my name out of 10 million others; that's never happened before, and provided a minor rush. :cool:

I lost the first game Friday and began to revert to the norm.

Here is a current piece about perfect brackets...one left picking ISU, who is back in it right now:
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracket-beat/2017-03-16/tracking-last-perfect-bracket-2017-ncaa-tournament

I do have a few Wisc-Fla and X-Zona matchups in my fistful of tickets. :ThmbUp:
That'a incredible! I've filled out brackets since the 80's. I've never been past the 1st round with less than 2 outs. I have major trouble with most every 11,12,13,14 seed games. Reported this morning, there are no perfect brackets left after this weekend. Blamed on the So Carolina and Michigan upsets.

That is some rare air, Ras. Hope you finish up with a bang.

Murph
03-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Bracket challenge score stays tight is spite of upsets.

JJ and I each have 8 teams alive going into the regional's but our brackets look drastically different this morning. While I have Florida remaining in the east regional, JJ has NO live team in there. He is much better shape with the south/west while each of my games, except one, have a live selection.

Murph 1 42 158
JJ 2 41 149

I enjoyed the Michigan - Louisville match up. I think it is suprising that Michigan has been able to carry their crazy momentum this far after their overachieaving BT tourney win. Plus (BONUS) ALL of my friends in Louisville have a full off season of Hoosier razberries to look forward to until next fall for that one.

I was napping with one eye open thru the Wichita St - KY game until about 12 mins to go when I had to get up and watch the finish. I wonder if NC can give KY such a test as that game? We'll soon see.

This week is an exhausting series of games for both fans and teams. Let's all rest up a bit and come back strong next weekend. See you then

rastajenk
03-20-2017, 12:52 PM
The air was rare, but now it's more like bad gas.:)

ElKabong
03-22-2017, 12:49 AM
Leaving UT Arlington out was a mistake, but the upside was that I got to see my Mavs beat the Zips in our arena. Fun team to watch, one of the best point guards in the country.

mountainman
03-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Daddy Ball has soured me on ucla. I'll root ky for all I'm worth. And I'd be VERY careful about predicting greater NBA success for his son than EITHER of Ky's freshman guards will achieve. Ball may be more polished, but Monk and Fox could EACH possess more talent and eventual upside.

Valuist
03-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Daddy Ball has soured me on ucla. I'll root ky for all I'm worth. And I'd be VERY careful about predicting greater NBA success for his son than EITHER of Ky's freshman guards will achieve. Ball may be more polished, but Monk and Fox could EACH possess more talent and eventual upside.

I hate Kentucky as much as Duke, but I agree the Ball family has made rooting for UCLA not an option.

Robert Fischer
03-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Kentucky looks like the favorite to win it all.

mountainman
03-25-2017, 12:15 PM
I'd be VERY careful about predicting greater NBA success for his son than EITHER of Ky's freshman guards will achieve. Ball may be more polished, but Monk and Fox could EACH possess more talent and eventual upside.

Ball clanked a few last night, and with that funky stroke, strikes me as a very suspect shooter at the next level. Also, he seems mechanical and a bit stiff to me. As if he decides in advance what to do and then plunges ahead. Fox and Monk BOTH outplayed him.

And Ball's assist totals seem somewhat manufactured. He passes up plenty of good looks (perhaps wisely??) and instead dishes the rock. My suspicion is, freshman , or not, Ball might right now be as good as he is going to get. A highly polished early-bloomer with less upside than projected.

Give me Monk or Fox as NBA prospects.

Robert Fischer
03-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Can't really lose with Monk.

Ball is legit. Want to see him show more fire, and show an ability to take over with scoring in spurts. Unfortunate that he goes to NBA, but he will be a good passer. I think he will do well from 3 in the NBA, although it's not a lock.

Grits
03-26-2017, 04:57 PM
Pleased for South Carolina!! Heading to the Final Four for the first time. SC native, Darius Rucker, in the crowd with tears rolling down his face. So Happy, he was.

They hurt me, days ago, when they ousted DUKE!!!

Now, it's time for UNC and Kentucky.

....I gotta keep my mouth shut about this one. Except to say my priest is, here, in Carolina and Duke country and it would make him very, very happy for his Big Blue Nation to win this game!!

Gentlemen, I care more about my priest than I care about UNC! :)

Grits
03-26-2017, 07:35 PM
CONGRATS TO CAROLINA

75--73

What a game, what an effort by both teams.

20th trip to the Final Four--the most in history.

My priest will get over the loss. ;)

EasyGoer89
03-27-2017, 01:24 AM
Zags -6.5 over SC

NC -5 over Ore

Murph
03-27-2017, 07:00 AM
2017 Bracket challenge winner is JJ.

JJ 1 69 85
Murph 2 66 66

I had 6 in the elite 8, 1 in each bracket and NONE advance! Total collapse. JJ had 3 alive, 1 in each and advances 2 to the finals. NC and Oregon. I started to post some nonsense about an advantage after the E8 round as JJ had dropped his top pick AZ and I remained alive with Kansas. Happy now that I didn't.

Congrats JJ that was fun. Let's try it again next year and get one to the top.

Valuist
03-27-2017, 12:22 PM
I just don't want to see North Carolina win.

I love how South Carolina defends. Frank Martin is a great coach and his players have bought into playing D. But Gonzaga will be a tough out. Kenpom.com has had Gonzaga ranked #1 for most of the season.

I expect scoring to be down a bit; the Final 4 will be played in the Arizona Cardinals football stadium, so a tough background for shooters.

EasyGoer89
03-28-2017, 04:51 AM
I just don't want to see North Carolina win.

I love how South Carolina defends. Frank Martin is a great coach and his players have bought into playing D. But Gonzaga will be a tough out. Kenpom.com has had Gonzaga ranked #1 for most of the season.

I expect scoring to be down a bit; the Final 4 will be played in the Arizona Cardinals football stadium, so a tough background for shooters.

Tell me more about the tough shooting, do you think this is factored into the spread?

HalvOnHorseracing
03-28-2017, 09:21 AM
I wish I had a great analytical reason, but I just don't have great faith in Gonzaga. Of course, I thought they'd be gone by now so I haven't been right about them all along. But they came out of a weaker bracket, so not as surprising they made it through. NC seems the chalk, SC the sentimental favorite. I'm rooting for that as the final.

Murph
03-29-2017, 03:54 AM
I attended practice Friday at Lucas Oil last year and sat at half court lower level for the first half of the all-star game. Was able to walk behind the bench area at halftime. The lighting puts the background in darkness from the floor level. I couldn't see behind either basket from those seats. The effect is less the higher you sit. I was surprised how close all of the lower level seats felt in relation. Not what I was expecting.

Background depth to the rim may not be an issue for shooters there.

Since my Kansas pick is out I am rooting Gonzanga to the championship.

HoofedInTheChest
04-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Nike, Adidas, Under Armour not interested in Lonzo Ball.

Well played. :ThmbUp:

http://www.tsn.ca/report-nike-adidas-under-armour-not-interested-in-lonzo-ball-1.737493

Valuist
05-05-2017, 07:14 PM

How about the new shoe Lonzo Ball has come out with. The price? $495

Who the hell can afford $500 gym shoes?

Inner Dirt
05-06-2017, 11:46 AM
How about the new shoe Lonzo Ball has come out with. The price? $495

Who the hell can afford $500 gym shoes?

I have a feeling that kid is going to have a huge target on his back when he hits the NBA because of his nutty obnoxious father. I also think his dad is going to cost the kid boat loads of cash because of his ridiculous demands.
I could see the kid washing out and being a bust because all the trouble his dad will cause.