PDA

View Full Version : (Paulick Report) Pennsylvania: The FBI Agent And The Trainer

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2017, 11:17 AM
An interesting read:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/pennsylvania-fbi-agent-trainer/

whodoyoulike
03-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Hopefully, Paulick stays on top of this since similar allegations in Pennsylvania have been bouncing around for years now.

... He (Hamelback, of the HBPA from the article) also said in the radio interview that the National HBPA is not necessarily defending Rojas but trying to protect other horsemen from a possible precedent-setting case in which violations of state regulatory rules on medication could be considered a federal crime – not just in Pennsylvania, but in any racing state. ...

... This is the statement Judge Rambo said is inadmissible at trial because the question Doupe asked was too vague and could have referred to instances that were 10 or 20 years ago.

Behe: “And did she say anything about that type of practice going on at that track or elsewhere?”

“She did,” said Doupe. “She said, it goes on every day, and it goes on everywhere, she said, every track.”

Doupe repeated that assertion from Rojas under cross examination by the trainer's attorney, Robert E. Goldman.

“She like to justify her criminal misconduct by stating that this happens everywhere,” said Doupe. “She says everybody does it, I don't see the big deal. She would often tell me that.” ...

If these quotes are true, she should get banned for a number of years, IMO.

EMD4ME
03-08-2017, 06:07 PM
I guess you could say my old name used to be : Penn4ME

I live 160 miles from PENN but would drag friends, family, signifigant other etc to Penn on a monthly basis.

It's sad that there is SO much coorruption and apathy for the cheating in PA.

It's been almost a decade since I stopped betting Penn fulltime (like every card). Once in a blue moon, they get a nickel from me (like twice a year) but other than that, they're just like most ex's. They are dead to me.

To think I grew up there, makes me even sadder.

proximity
03-08-2017, 08:02 PM
i remember YEARS ago at pen i had a five length pace advantage horse trained by the then murray quezada (sp?) and i excitedly ventured out to the paddock to get a close up look at such a rare specimen.

it was great standing there in the cool night air with my pace figures neatly penned onto my drf. it's a safe bet that they were probably the ONLY pace figures on the grounds!!

i was never a jockey man like emd. if robert hastie would have five wins on the year, i'd pride myself on having four of the horses. the only jockey that ever gave me cause for concern was fabio quezada, who never seemed to get my speed horses out of the gate.

it's a nice night though and how can even fabio eff up a horse with such a superior advantage?

then murray greets fabio by the horse.

murray: "try to come from off the pace with him." :faint::faint::faint::faint:

the HORSE did win though and i really miss those old days of live racing and i'm sure all of you do too. :)

EMD4ME
03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
i remember YEARS ago at pen i had a five length pace advantage horse trained by the then murray quezada (sp?) and i excitedly ventured out to the paddock to get a close up look at such a rare specimen.

it was great standing there in the cool night air with my pace figures neatly penned onto my drf. it's a safe bet that they were probably the ONLY pace figures on the grounds!!

i was never a jockey man like emd. if robert hastie would have five wins on the year, i'd pride myself on having four of the horses. the only jockey that ever gave me cause for concern was fabio quezada, who never seemed to get my speed horses out of the gate.

it's a nice night though and how can even fabio eff up a horse with such a superior advantage?

then murray greets fabio by the horse.

murray: "try to come from off the pace with him." :faint::faint::faint::faint:

the HORSE did win though and i really miss those old days of live racing and i'm sure all of you do too. :)

To me, there's only 1 jockey that ever could be called a "jockey" in the last decade. Ramon. The rest are called anything else :lol:

Now, with that said, I FRIEKEN loved the smell of horse shit at Penn. Loved that 2nd floor overview of the paddock, the soft ice cream, the lights going out, the red bucket seats, the announcer's predictable THEY'RE OFF and THEY MOVE TO THE TOP OF THE STREEEEEEETCH.

I too remember being at Penn when that demonic structure was being put up. We were in that special tent or whatever by the 1/8 pole. I loved this 1 horse. Was there with a pal. We walked out to the paddock. My friend heard the trainer tell the jock: Ride em lak ya own him boy!

He crushed.

They tore down paradise and put up a ra ci noooooooo

cj
03-08-2017, 08:37 PM
My biggest memory of Penn was sneaking away from the inlaws during a Thanksgiving weekend to make what at the time was the biggest bet of my life on Answer Do in a stakes race at Santa Anita. There was live racing going on but I never even watched a race. I was screaming like an idiot as he charged down the lane, knowing I'd be cutting it close on gas if I had to drive back without him winning!

Luckily he got up in the last few strides and paid 10 or 11 bucks and all was right in Grantville that night. I had been to Penn several times before, but I don't think I've ever been back.

Rise Over Run
03-08-2017, 08:58 PM
My biggest memory of Penn was sneaking away from the inlaws during a Thanksgiving weekend to make what at the time was the biggest bet of my life on Answer Do in a stakes race at Santa Anita. There was live racing going on but I never even watched a race. I was screaming like an idiot as he charged down the lane, knowing I'd be cutting it close on gas if I had to drive back without him winning!

Luckily he got up in the last few strides and paid 10 or 11 bucks and all was right in Grantville that night. I had been to Penn several times before, but I don't think I've ever been back.

He closed to win the Cal Cup Sprint at Santa Anita on November 7, 1992 and paid $11 even, but that's not over Thanksgiving. He won the Hollywood Turf Sprint twice right around Thanksgiving 1991 and 1992, but that was as Hollywood Park and he didn't pay close to $10.

Memories...http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=1083853&registry=T&rbt=TB

Spalding No!
03-08-2017, 09:13 PM
He closed to win the Cal Cup Sprint at Santa Anita on November 7, 1992 and paid $11 even, but that's not over Thanksgiving. He won the Hollywood Turf Sprint twice right around Thanksgiving 1991 and 1992, but that was as Hollywood Park and he didn't pay close to $10.

Memories...http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=1083853&registry=T&rbt=TB
$9.80 is not close to $10?

cj
03-08-2017, 09:16 PM

It was the SA race on dirt. It may not have been Thanksgiving weekend, but that is why I was there. We'd do one weekend in PA and one in Baltimore, alternate each year for the holidays. Moving to Texas was a blessing!

HuggingTheRail
03-08-2017, 09:18 PM

The most important part of the story is he got away from his inlaws for a while....

cj
03-08-2017, 09:24 PM
The most important part of the story is he got away from his inlaws for a while....

I have an Atlantic City trip that didn't turn out nearly so well that I'll share some day.

Track Phantom
03-08-2017, 11:23 PM

I think Answer Do was a Turf Paradise or Aksarben horse. Think he ran with Who Doctor Who in those days.

Rise Over Run
03-09-2017, 09:00 AM

You're right. I must have opened up the chart for the 1991 race twice.

onefast99
03-09-2017, 11:29 AM
I had several horses with Rojas. One died on the track after his race at Penn(October 2009), Banque Royale and the other one Western Bluff Murray bought from me after a few races. At the time we had horses with her she was a good solid trainer, and a pleasure to speak with.
No one wants to hear how many trainers are cheating and especially because every one is doing it and they have to do it to stay competitive.

Ian Meyers
06-27-2017, 04:12 PM
It's pretty obvious that both she (and the sport to a lesser extent) are in big trouble:

Murray Rojas Attorney: If everyone at PENN is cheating w/race day medications, it's a level playing field, isn't it?

State Vet: Yes

It's about 1/5 she gets convicted, 'the every one else does it isn't typically a winning defense.'

I'm hearing if she is convicted she will give up management at Penn National (she hasn't really talked yet). Also hearing it's likely Pennsylvania legislature will introduce de-coupling legislation in the next session. Whether or not that passes is anyone's guess but it's not the long shot it was in the past.

I'm hoping that this will eventually mean national oversight for the sport and REAL drug regulations. It's really the only way this game can forward.

Andy Asaro
06-27-2017, 04:24 PM
https://twitter.com/raypaulick/status/879766279967703042

Click this link to see Ray's twitter feed. He's live tweeting.

https://twitter.com/raypaulick/with_replies

Saratoga_Mike
06-27-2017, 04:38 PM
According to Equibase, Ms. Beattie won 34.6% of her races in 2008 (612 starters). In the two prior years (2006/7), she had 783 starters and won roughly 32% of her races (again, Equibase is the source).

lamboguy
06-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Ray Paulick just summed it up perfectly, "Today not a good day for horse racing integrity."

i have always loved the work Ray has done because he has never been afraid to tell it like it is

Saratoga_Mike
06-27-2017, 05:11 PM
"The lab was using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay kits for drug screening. To save money, Robinson assumed, the lab would mix urine samples from two horses and screen for various drugs. If something was “flagged” as positive, the individual samples would be retested. The mixing of samples, however, would dilute any prohibited substance in an individual sample."

Pitiful.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/view-eighth-pole-murray-rojas-trial-casts-dark-shadow-racing/

Jeff P
06-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Can't say I'm the least bit surprised.

On some level I think most horseplayers have known (for many years now) what's been going on behind the curtain.

Some./many of us have been calling on regulators (again for years now) to clean up racing's drug problem.

Which for the most part has fallen on deaf ears -- because no one on the other side of the curtain has been willing to admit the obvious:

That yes -- racing does indeed have a drug problem.

-jp

Ian Meyers
06-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Somewhere tonight I think Mike Gill must be laughing his ass off.

I can't see how we go back to business as usual in racing after this.

whodoyoulike
06-27-2017, 06:30 PM
I hope Paulick keeps us updated.

And, I guess Michael Gill really was onto something what was it some five years ago and few people listened to him.

I admit I was doubtful at the time of his claims of the widespread corruption partly because I think he was saying the FBI was included in the collusion. And, no one was doing anything about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlRlUCLd24I

HalvOnHorseracing
06-27-2017, 10:26 PM
I don't think it is good reporting, or telling it like it is when you only publish stuff based on press releases or public information sources. Don't just tell me 95% of trainers are using illegal raceday medication. Give us the whole story. Which drugs are we talking about? Are 95% of the trainers using illegal raceday drugs on every horse and every race, or is it like saying 99.9% of people have told a lie in their life, even though only a small percentage are chronic liars? Is this every track, including the major race meets, or is it generally limited to the tertiary venues like PA and WV?

Where are they getting the drugs? Are the vets in on this? How many inspections have the stewards done and found hypodermic needles (which are illegal for a trainer to possess)? What steps have they taken to eliminate the "scourge" of drugs and why haven't they worked if we've known about it for decades?

ARCI did a survey of horseracing people. Here's a few of the results.

Some people I know cheat - 57.2% totally or somewhat agree

Legal medications are being overused inappropriately - 61.9% totally or somewhat agree

Doping with designer drugs are rampant - 58.1% totally or somewhat agree

And now for the icing on the cake.

Most people I know are honest and would never knowingly mistreat a horse by overusing a medication - 79.8%

What a perfect metaphor for how people think. Everybody is using drugs except everybody I know is honest.

Stephanie Beattie proclaims everyone a cheater and it's confirmation of "what we all know to be true." Me, I'd like the details.

whodoyoulike
06-27-2017, 10:50 PM
I don't think it is good reporting, or telling it like it is when you only publish stuff based on press releases or public information sources. Don't just tell me 95% of trainers are using illegal raceday medication. Give us the whole story. ...

Stephanie Beattie proclaims everyone a cheater and it's confirmation of "what we all know to be true." Me, I'd like the details.

Without having to re-read all of the links and posts within this thread, I thought these comments were from trial testimony and not press releases. At least see the link in post #19.

GMB@BP
06-27-2017, 11:19 PM
It was the SA race on dirt. It may not have been Thanksgiving weekend, but that is why I was there. We'd do one weekend in PA and one in Baltimore, alternate each year for the holidays. Moving to Texas was a blessing!

Answer Do was trained and onwed by TuP people, think he won the phoenix gold cup twice.

I believe he was trained by Lymin Rollins

cj
06-27-2017, 11:29 PM
Answer Do was trained and onwed by TuP people, think he won the phoenix gold cup twice.

I believe that was the trainer.

thaskalos
06-27-2017, 11:58 PM
The big question that begs to be answered now is...can the horseplayer handle the truth? We've been waiting to hear a "name" trainer admit that there is rampant illegal drug use in this game...and now that we've heard it...do we wish that we HADN'T?

proximity
06-28-2017, 12:08 AM
i'm confused.

just a few short years ago stephanie beattie and another "trainer" were supposedly spending mornings sharing "laughs at the gap" about the content of paceadvantage website posts and NOW 95-98% of pen horsemen are juicers???

the gamblers of this great website deserve an apology!!

johnhannibalsmith
06-28-2017, 12:16 AM

Yes, he was. Gold Cup a couple times, just about everything in Nebraska, the Turf Express at Hollywood twice as well, I believe. All those efforts in the California graded stakes and still I believe he retired with something like 30 exacta finishes in 40 starts.

Pretty neat horse. And very neat trainer.

lamboguy
06-28-2017, 07:18 AM
i think that the nuts and bolts of this case is that the Feds got involved through wire fraud. most of the time they would have left it with the state of Pennsylvania to take to trial. ultimately it all comes back to the state because they are the regulator's and collect their portion of the handle and are supposed to protect the best interest's of their citizens. obviously the feds don't trust the state of Penn after reviewing this case and decided to take matters into their own hands.

i say that when this case is concluded their will be more to come. it might turn out to be the best thing for the game. the activity that is going on in Pennsylvania goes on in most other states on different scales. if states want to remain in the gambling regulations business and collect revenues from it they had better start doing a better job.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Without having to re-read all of the links and posts within this thread, I thought these comments were from trial testimony and not press releases. At least see the link in post #19.

I was specifically referencing Paulick, who I believe is well known for short blurbs based on press releases and public sources (a trial transcript is a public source). He is also well known as an anti-drug person (he was good friends with Joe Gorajek) and generally sides with track management on issues. And I'll leave it at that.

Andy Asaro
06-28-2017, 11:13 AM
https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/880081487189516289

Saratoga_Mike
06-28-2017, 11:52 AM
I was specifically referencing Paulick, who I believe is well known for short blurbs based on press releases and public sources (a trial transcript is a public source). He is also well known as an anti-drug person (he was good friends with Joe Gorajek) and generally sides with track management on issues. And I'll leave it at that.

And you generally side with cheats.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-28-2017, 12:26 PM
And you generally side with cheats.

Apparently you don't read my stuff, which allows you to be an anonymous cheap shot artist. I provide a service you don't get from Paulick - the whole story. If you don't like it, don't read it, but don't ever tell me my stories on trainers weren't based on facts.

castaway01
06-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Apparently you don't read my stuff, which allows you to be an anonymous cheap shot artist. I provide a service you don't get from Paulick - the whole story. If you don't like it, don't read it, but don't ever tell me my stories on trainers weren't based on facts.

Your stories are based on "facts" that only look at half of the story---the pro-trainer side. Forget the horseplayer, the welfare of the horse, etc. You're part of the problem in this game, not the solution.

Ian Meyers
06-28-2017, 12:54 PM
'Ben's Cat Retired', 'Mott to set for Queen's Plate Debut'

I think the fact that DRF & Blood Horse refuse to cover this story tells you all you need to know about the state of the game. This stick your head in the sand and pretend none of this exists is what got this sport into the position it's in.

onefast99
06-28-2017, 04:04 PM
'Ben's Cat Retired', 'Mott to set for Queen's Plate Debut'

I think the fact that DRF & Blood Horse refuse to cover this story tells you all you need to know about the state of the game. This stick your head in the sand and pretend none of this exists is what got this sport into the position it's in.
Neither DRF or Blood Horse get involved in events that are currently being litigated. Paulick does and covers them very well.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Your stories are based on "facts" that only look at half of the story---the pro-trainer side. Forget the horseplayer, the welfare of the horse, etc. You're part of the problem in this game, not the solution.

Again, you don't know what you are talking about. I've been on the record clearly as being against the use of illegal drugs. I've never chosen to write an article in support of a trainer who has been a clear serial violator, like Julio Cartagena. I've also been on the record as being in favor of setting thresholds using good science, not always the case currently. I've also been on the record as being in favor of doing more thorough investigations, more pro-active intervention to prevent drug positives before they impact races, and more consistency in enforcement. I have clearly said the first goal of enforcement should be preventing positives because once a race is official the bettor has been screwed. Who do you think I am concerned about if not the horseplayer and the horse?

Racing has rules. Not once have I suggested not enforcing those rules. But I have suggested not being arbitrary or downright inept in the way the rules are enforced, and I have suggested you don't punish traffic tickets with the felony level punishments.

When people here complain about the way the stewards deal with DQ's, does that mean they are only telling half the story, or they are part of the problem? Criticizing poor investigations isn't against horseplayers or the welfare of the horse, and it isn't telling half the story.

You are the one telling half the story. You get an article from Paulick with no detail other than some trainer had a positive and you can't wait to run around yelling "cheat" and that's the problem with racing. The difference with me is that I'm going to tell the whole, not half, the story before I conclude anything. Even ARCI agrees the enforcement focus has to be on illegal drugs, not just slight overages of legal medications, because less than one-half of one percent of all post race tests show a positive for legal medications.

Jeff P
06-28-2017, 04:35 PM
by Ray Paulick | 06.28.2017 | 10:38am
Trainer Beattie At Rojas Trial: ‘Almost Everybody’ Illegally Treated Horses On Race Day:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/trainer-beattie-rojas-trial-almost-everybody-illegally-treated-horses-race-day/

Stephanie Beattie threw fellow horsemen under the bus during her testimony for the prosecution Tuesday afternoon at the federal trial of Murray Rojas, a former rival for leading trainer honors at Penn National in Grantville, Pa.

Beattie admitted she routinely had her horses illegally treated with therapeutic medications on race day by the same veterinarians who counted Rojas as a client.

“Almost everybody did,” Beattie said of the practice. “Ninety-five to 98%. It was a known practice. We wanted to win and they weren't testing for those drugs at that time.”

Beattie, 46, won enough races to be Penn National's leading trainer on three occasions. In 2009, her best year, she won 222 races from 811 starts for earnings of $3.4 million. The previous year, when she won 212 races from 612 starts, she had a win percentage of 35 percent.

But it is two-time Penn National leading trainer Rojas, not Beattie, who is on trial for wire fraud, conspiracy and misbranding of prescription drugs. U.S. Attorney William Behe has laid out a case with testimony and documents from racing officials, veterinarians and vet assistants alleging Rojas requested and received race-day treatment of horses in order to win purse money, then had billing and treatment records falsified to conceal the cheating.

Beattie is among numerous individuals at Penn National under investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. She resisted cooperating with the FBI at first, Beattie testified, even after Special Agent Bruce Doupe told her, “If you don't want to talk, I'll come to your house at 4:30 in the morning, handcuff you and put you in jail for a very long time.”

Finally, Beattie said, after spending more than $60,000 on legal advice, she decided to cooperate with authorities, submitting to numerous interviews and even wearing a recording device on their behalf.

Despite admitting to years of rule violations in multiple states, Beattie has not been sanctioned by any racing commissions and has faced no criminal charges. It has hurt her business, as shown by a 2016 record of 14 wins from 111 starts and earnings of $217,655.

“This investigation has made things tough for me,” she said.

Beattie also said she has stopped cheating with race-day treatments.

Beattie explained how veterinarian Kevin Brophy established an order form for trainers to fill out their race day medication requests. She said her lists regularly included Kentucky Red, Estrone and Amicar – substances that are not permitted within 24 hours of a race.

Beattie testified that Brophy and other veterinarians informed her of which drugs the state's testing lab was not testing for.

On Monday, Brophy's associate veterinarian, Fernando Motta, testified that Rojas regularly requested and received treatments of Robinul and Estrone on race day for her horses. Motta beat the test for Robinul, he testified, by administering a lower dose and changing the route of administration to intravenous from intramuscular.

-jp

whodoyoulike
06-28-2017, 05:48 PM
The parts I find amusing are ....

... :1: Despite admitting to years of rule violations in multiple states, Beattie has not been sanctioned by any racing commissions and has faced no criminal charges. :2: It has hurt her business, as shown by a 2016 record of 14 wins from 111 starts and earnings of $217,655.

:3: “This investigation has made things tough for me,” she said.

:4: Beattie also said she has stopped cheating with race-day treatments. ...

:1: amusing yet sad.

:2: very amusing.

:3: very very amusing.

:4: I hope everyone can see where this is going. I'm LMFAO*.

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LMFAO

Ian Meyers
06-28-2017, 07:47 PM
Neither DRF or Blood Horse get involved in events that are currently being litigated. Paulick does and covers them very well.

Not true. They had no problem reporting on Derby Wars/Stronach litigation at every turn. It's called NO BALLS.

Years back, BH had a very good investigative journalist named Ryan Conley. They ran him off. Now they are just shills for the tracks/horsemen.

thaskalos
06-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Not true. They had no problem reporting on Derby Wars/Stronach litigation at every turn. It's called NO BALLS.

Years back, BH had a very good investigative journalist named Ryan Conley. They ran him off. Now they are just shills for the tracks/horsemen.

The DRF could easily be described in exactly the same way.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-28-2017, 08:28 PM
I've written for horse racing publications, and rule one is you don't knock advertisers (or potential ones). I once quipped, tongue in cheek, that NTRA's biggest accomplishment was getting all the tracks to go with the same saddle cloth colors. Needless to say, this is the first time the public has read that sentence.

I can tell you I've been contacted by reporters from some of the publications mentioned because I can write things they can't.

Ian Meyers
06-28-2017, 08:41 PM
I've written for horse racing publications, and rule one is you don't knock advertisers (or potential ones). I once quipped, tongue in cheek, that NTRA's biggest accomplishment was getting all the tracks to go with the same saddle cloth colors. Needless to say, this is the first time the public has read that sentence.

I can tell you I've been contacted by reporters from some of the publications mentioned because I can write things they can't.

I understand that. Ryan and I collaborated on a number of pieces over the years. He was an outstanding journalist and they gave him a lot of freedom. Eventually, the tracks/horsemen complained and he got bounced from BH. It was our loss.

There is no other industry I can think of that is so insular. It will be racing's downfall.

whodoyoulike
06-28-2017, 08:50 PM

How about finding out exactly what the "Commingling Guest" portion is of the California takeout?

It's something like 8+% of t/o.

Please refer to my posts in the "Ritvo wants to lower takeout" thread. I realize the t/o is legit besides it's been included in t/o for years amounting to 100's of millions maybe even billions of $. I just don't understand why it can't be labeled clearly as a line item because apparently the CHRB staff probably also has no idea what or how it is distributed.

Btw, I have a gut feeling it's part of the t/o at every track since the blended t/o rate at most tracks is similar to California's (21% +/-). It's just that Cali racing is more transparent in their financial reporting compared to other jurisdictions as far as I can tell.

Thanks.

Also, I'm not or have ever questioned your integrity in your posts. I actually appreciate your candor.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-28-2017, 09:35 PM
How about finding out exactly what the "Commingling Guest" portion is of the California takeout?

It's something like 8+% of t/o.

Please refer to my posts in the "Ritvo wants to lower takeout" thread. I realize the t/o is legit besides it's been included in t/o for years amounting to 100's of millions maybe even billions of $. I just don't understand why it can't be labeled clearly as a line item because apparently the CHRB staff probably also has no idea what or how it is distributed.

Btw, I have a gut feeling it's part of the t/o at every track since the blended t/o rate at most tracks is similar to California's (21% +/-). It's just that Cali racing is more transparent in their financial reporting compared to other jurisdictions as far as I can tell.

Thanks.

Also, I'm not or have ever questioned your integrity in your posts. I actually appreciate your candor.

Revenue numbers are in the CHRB report:

The on-track handle represents wagers at the host track. For FY 2015-16, on-track wagers accounted for 11.69 percent of the total handle. Off-track handle represents wagering at California simulcast locations and accounted for 23.04 percent of the total. Out-of-state handle represents commingled wagers from other US and international sites. Out-of-state wagers accounted for 34.89 percent of the total. Advance Deposit Wager (ADW) represents the handle generated through the four-licensed California ADW companies. The ADW handle accounted for 30.38 percent of the total.

I have some older figures for how takeout is divided from out of state sources and I'll see if I can find something more recent.

whodoyoulike
06-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Revenue numbers are in the CHRB report:

The on-track handle represents wagers at the host track. For FY 2015-16, on-track wagers accounted for 11.69 percent of the total handle. Off-track handle represents wagering at California simulcast locations and accounted for 23.04 percent of the total. Out-of-state handle represents commingled wagers from other US and international sites. Out-of-state wagers accounted for 34.89 percent of the total. Advance Deposit Wager (ADW) represents the handle generated through the four-licensed California ADW companies. The ADW handle accounted for 30.38 percent of the total.

I have some older figures for how takeout is divided from out of state sources and I'll see if I can find something more recent.

No, if you go to the CHRB website tab Statistics - Report of Operation.

I looked at the 2014 - 2015 financials for SA and that line item is reported in all of the Takeout Summary reports and also reported in other years.

I checked and it's also reported on Los Al's and Del Mar's and probably all the other tracks in Cali which is the reason I suspect every track in the country probably has a similar line item. They just probably call it something different if one can find their financials.

Btw, I selected 2014 -2015 because of your post on the takeout and est. amount going to overhead.

Gander36
06-29-2017, 12:35 AM
Well... I know the first inclination is to recoil and demonize Ms. Beattie, but anyone that really knows what goes on knows many trainers push the envelope of legality. And horse racing is not serious about addressing the issue and/or cleaning it up.

How many times have we seen all of a trainers barn pop up in another trainer's name during a suspension? Typically the wife's, the assistant's, etc.? Wasn't Scott Blasi an assistant to Steve Asmussen? Then Steve got suspended and Scott became a top trainer - well, until Steve Asmussen got off suspension. What happened to this great trainer after Steve returned?

How is it that Dale White in Louisiana is a lifetime 2% trainer, yet when Eduardo Ramirez gets caught and suspended for racing the wrong horse to a claiming victory, ALL of Ramirez's horses end up in Dale White's file, and now he's winning at 25%+? You think maybe Eduardo might still have a hand in the operation? LOL.

Racing has enough issues competing for the gambling dollar anyway. Allowing cheaters to exists and thrive just drives more and more of it away.

onefast99
06-29-2017, 10:55 AM

This isn't the same. Paulick has covered this since Gill exposed many issues going on at Penn. I checked some of the archives at BS and found nothing, maybe you can run the archive scan and see if DRF or BS reported on Penns issues that relates to Rojas.

TonyK@HSH
06-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that these charges date back to 2014 and beyond. Because of these charges, Pen probably runs one of the cleanest programs in horse racing today. Trainers don't dare push the regulations on same day medications.

TonyK

WJ47
06-29-2017, 10:53 PM
I guess it's bad for business to write about the cheating. People may decide they don't want to play a game with so much shady stuff going on.

And the cheating is rampant. I grew up on a large horse farm. Horses were sent to us for layoffs. The stories I heard were unbelievable. The owners and trainers would sit around and laugh about their escapades.

proximity
06-30-2017, 01:14 PM
did cicci and pentangeli testify yet? :blush:

MONEY
06-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Dog Racing also has a huge drug problem.

"12 greyhounds test positive for cocaine at Bestbet race track in Orange Park"

http://jacksonville.com/news/2017-06-30/12-greyhounds-test-positive-cocaine-bestbet-race-track-orange-park

lamboguy
06-30-2017, 07:34 PM
defendant convicted of 14 counts of the 21 pending.

seems like the jurrors wanted no part of missing their long weekends!

upthecreek
10-15-2018, 11:19 AM
https://twitter.com/raypaulick/status/1051830014583427073