PDA

View Full Version : Jockey first call

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2004, 04:50 PM
How can I get and keep a list of which jockeys are first call for which trainers?
Do some large trainers have 2nd or 3rd call jockeys?
I keep seeing top jocks on big trainers' mounts at 8-1 but they only deserve to be 8-1. Turns out the jock is riding because of first call, not because the jock or agent has some secret info on the horse.

CryingForTheHorses
07-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey Ken, In my opinion!!!! That first call crap has always sucked! Might as well be what did the agent pay the trainer for the first call?.Owners want the best on their horse even if he isnt the best horse.Im not sure if any of the big owners do this?, I look at it this way..Every horse can beat each other on any given day.I see jocks going overseas to ride contract but I dont think they do that here.. I stand to be corrected.Look at STEWIE,his first call I think is gone with Gill.A good jock doesnt need a first call barn.Makes it very suspicious at least to me when a trainer wants a certain jock to ride ALL his horses.The jock is only as good as his horse (Barring bad luck in race)

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2004, 05:55 PM
I gues I am just looking for ways to eliminate "false favorite jockeys" for an extra edge. This is how I learn what info is worthwhile to key on and what is not.
I ubderstand some trainers cannot use some jockeys on some races because they are too heavy.
I have short enough time in this betting business to still have a lot to learn!

hurrikane
07-28-2004, 08:58 AM
I ubderstand some trainers cannot use some jockeys on some races because they are too heavy.

What does this mean?

kingfin66
07-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by hurrikane@HTR
What does this mean?

I think what he means is that some riders may weigh consistently in the 118 range, but their horse gets assigned significantly less weight - say 113 pounds. If the trainer goes with the regular jock, he/she is looking at their horse being very overweight. This actually happened in the 8th race Sunday at Emerald Downs. The horse in question, Condotierri, was scheduled to carry 113, but went with 119 when the trainer went with the usual jockey.

kenwoodallpromos
07-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks King! Sometimes I leave out a couple of important words.

Macdiarmadillo
07-29-2004, 01:58 AM
I think it actually works the other way around, where there is a jockey preference and the trainer takes the extra weight. Lots of overweights everywhere, every day. There are many times when the low weight horses end up +1 or +2 since not even the apprentices can make the assigned weight.

It's better to look at and record what jockey/trainer combos are profitable. The combos can go hot and cold over the course of a season.

hurrikane
07-29-2004, 03:07 PM
thanks...that makes a little more sense