PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup Tickets

MooseDog
03-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Anyone buy extra seats for the 2017 Breeders Cup at Del Mar during either of the pre-sales and willing to sell at cost or a reasonable premium? Not looking for high end, just a seat in the grandstand or a box (I know you had to buy the whole box or table at the pre-sale).

I have seats for Friday and General Admission for Saturday (already sold out, I'm writing this at around 8am on Mon 3/6, tickets to the "public" go on sale in an hour and literally all tickets available for Saturday sold out except for outside the track ($250 for the weekend and you watch on TV :lol:)

Looking mostly for Saturday only but I'll take both days if that's what you have. I'll trade my General Admission plus cash for a pair of seats or straight cash.

BIG49010
03-06-2017, 12:40 PM
I tried also,not sure they sold any to tickets! Just like Keeneland too small of a venue, hold all tickets for insiders.

dilanesp
03-06-2017, 03:18 PM
I didn't buy any extras but had no problem getting good seats. Definitely more expensive than Santa Anita though. The BC will make a lot of money.

tanner12oz
03-08-2017, 05:39 AM
The website operated alot better then it did for keeneland. I was in and out in about 5 mins this time while keeneland took about in hour in the queue. Seemed to be various pre sales and by the time the general started nothing was left. Presale codes were pretty readily available though

MonmouthParkJoe
03-08-2017, 10:00 AM
I dont have plans to attend this year, but most people I do know had problems getting tickets. Seems pretty crazy hosting this event here with a capped attendance of 37,500 per day.

dilanesp
03-08-2017, 10:46 AM
I dont have plans to attend this year, but most people I do know had problems getting tickets. Seems pretty crazy hosting this event here with a capped attendance of 37,500 per day.

It was always dumb to go to Del Mar. The track was turned down repeatedly. Santa Anita is the correct SoCal venue.

There are also weather issues. It gets cold near the coast.

elhelmete
03-08-2017, 10:55 AM
There are also weather issues. It gets cold near the coast.

Anyone buying tickets should be mindful of the sun/shade situation.

Many seats and boxes in the GS and CH will be in the shade, and could be cold.

Yes, I'm aware that 'cold' means different things to people outside of SoCal! :)

I've been to DMR in November for about 12 race days now and the coldest one was when we had Terrace Dining tables fr a small group. Windy and COLD. We settled up after the 3rd race and moved to the Veranda where it was sunny and warm.

dilanesp
03-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Anyone buying tickets should be mindful of the sun/shade situation.

Many seats and boxes in the GS and CH will be in the shade, and could be cold.

Yes, I'm aware that 'cold' means different things to people outside of SoCal! :)

I've been to DMR in November for about 12 race days now and the coldest one was when we had Terrace Dining tables fr a small group. Windy and COLD. We settled up after the 3rd race and moved to the Veranda where it was sunny and warm.

I was down there when California Chrome ran in the Hollywood Derby a couple of years ago in late November. I was up in the grandstand on the 4th floor and it was FREEZING. There were people on the apron who came prepared with down parkas.

Again, you are right that it isn't gonna get as cold as Aqueduct or Belmont got for some BC's (ahem, 1985, 1995, and 2001, ahem), or as cold as the BC at Woodbine was. But it's not comfortable, and Del Mar is a track that sells comfort. If we get typical weather, it's not going to be the big party with the girls in the sundresses like it is during July and August.

Southbaygent
10-17-2017, 11:42 AM
I might have a Turf Club table of four and parking I need to sell for Saturday only 11/4. Not sure best venue for that. Stubhub? eBay? Both have listings that are pretty pricey...

dilanesp
10-17-2017, 01:34 PM
I might have a Turf Club table of four and parking I need to sell for Saturday only 11/4. Not sure best venue for that. Stubhub? eBay? Both have listings that are pretty pricey...

Stubhub.

Southbaygent
10-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Thx

cj
10-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Thx

I'd offer them here too, don't have to pay those awful fees. Don't think PA has any problem with that.

Rex Phinney
10-18-2017, 01:37 AM
Yea post up your price and you might get people looking to buy in pairs

jms62
10-18-2017, 05:11 PM
If you have the ability to wait I am willing to bet you get below cost seats on Stub Hub late in the week of the Breeders cup.

Southbaygent
10-18-2017, 05:21 PM
You’re probably right, but I doubt many Turf club tables of four, about 20yards past the finish line with preferred parking included will be available. Granted, it’s not a cheap seats, but there are interested parties.

dilanesp
10-18-2017, 05:36 PM
You’re probably right, but I doubt many Turf club tables of four, about 20yards past the finish line with preferred parking included will be available. Granted, it’s not a cheap seats, but there are interested parties.

Yeah, those are basically the best seats in the house and will also have access to a lot of the areas where the beautiful people will be hanging out on Breeders' Cup day.

If you have the scratch for it, this is actually something like a once in a lifetime experience, similar to getting into Millionaire's Row on Derby Day.

cj
10-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Yeah, those are basically the best seats in the house and will also have access to a lot of the areas where the beautiful people will be hanging out on Breeders' Cup day.

If you have the scratch for it, this is actually something like a once in a lifetime experience, similar to getting into Millionaire's Row on Derby Day.

How'd you know I was sitting there?

dilanesp
10-18-2017, 05:39 PM
How'd you know I was sitting there?

LOL! I should have taken the opportunity to meet you at Fair Meadows when I had the chance. :)

cj
10-18-2017, 05:43 PM
LOL! I should have taken the opportunity to meet you at Fair Meadows when I had the chance. :)

Trust me, I don't have the scratch for it (or looks), just happened to make a friend the last few years that does. You never know who your helping out sometimes when they ask for a favor. :)

LemonSoupKid
10-18-2017, 06:36 PM
If you have the ability to wait I am willing to bet you get below cost seats on Stub Hub late in the week of the Breeders cup.

:cool:

I suspect you are right. A couple years back at Keeneland (another small venue with expensive-ish tickets) you were easily able to get tickets at face, albeit at arrival and possibly too late for some, near the BC cup race times on Friday/Saturday. Not ideal for all, but can be done at times, and much closer to a reasonable price than how they look now.

thespaah
10-19-2017, 11:05 PM
Another issue I have with the BC...Its a month too late in the year. Should be the end of Sept.
This way, more areas of the country with appropriate venues could host the event.
I don't like the fact that the BC has basically been devolved into a "California only" event.

dilanesp
10-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Another issue I have with the BC...Its a month too late in the year. Should be the end of Sept.
This way, more areas of the country with appropriate venues could host the event.
I don't like the fact that the BC has basically been devolved into a "California only" event.

Sigh. We go through this every year.

1. It isn't California only. Kentucky hosts it frequently. They would also still go to New York if NYRA bid for it, but they haven't been.

2. It was always intended to be mostly California. We not only have the best weather, but we also have large tracks with plenty of permanent seating. Three of the first four were in California, and that wasn't an accident.

3. We have the best weather in September as well as October and November.

4. The BC is already really disruptive to the traditional stakes schedule in October. Move it up a month and you can kiss the Jockey Club Gold Cup, Turf Classic, and Champagne goodbye. Do you think that would be good for the sport?

5. It isn't "unfair" to run it in California. Our tracks have some of the best attendance. The only track that announces higher figures is Churchill, and there's some question as to whether those are even accurate.

Moving the BC around more means the event will be more expensive to put on, draw less people, and make less money. And that's assuming other tracks will even bid for it or do so on competitive terms to SA or Churchill.

This is an event that is owned by a private enterprise. It needs to generate sufficient revenue to pay for itself. It isn't some altruistic gift to the sport. California and Churchill have proven over and over again that they can stage successful BC's.

AndyC
10-20-2017, 10:05 AM
.....There are also weather issues. It gets cold near the coast.

Projected weather and historical averages. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/del-mar-ca/92014/november-weather/332098

Clearly you grew up in California if you think it gets cold in Del Mar.

elhelmete
10-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Projected weather and historical averages. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/del-mar-ca/92014/november-weather/332098

Agreed...sort of...

Del Mar in the shade in November can be chilly by Calif standards, but no, not compared to many other parts of the country.

But I wonder how many out of state visitors will think it's all sleeveless tops and shorts weather all the time?

dilanesp
10-20-2017, 05:51 PM

Santa Anita is a better site this time of year.

AndyC
10-20-2017, 09:41 PM

Overall it is definitely a better site, but weather isn't the reason. They have 5-6 degrees higher highs but they have lower lows. So it actually gets colder at SA.

dilanesp
10-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Overall it is definitely a better site, but weather isn't the reason. They have 5-6 degrees higher highs but they have lower lows. So it actually gets colder at SA.

The BC is held during the day. So the lower lows are what matter.

HorsemenHeist
10-22-2017, 12:09 PM
I have 1 extra seat on Level 4, section 15, terrific open air view of the track for Saturday. IMO much better than Level 5 since on level 5, the roof is much lower. Willing to part with it for $275 which is at least $75 cheaper than the comparable seat on ebay/stubhub. PM me if you're interested.

dilanesp
10-22-2017, 01:04 PM
The BC is held during the day. So the lower lows are what matter.

I mistyped this. The lower highs....

biggestal99
10-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Except for the year they had fires. Went to the track in a dark outfit and after the races had soot on it and I reeked of smoke.

Allan

LemonSoupKid
10-23-2017, 09:26 PM
For all of the above reasons, I really enjoy Santa Anita as the host. Not only is there great weather, the venue is BIG and you can easily do general admission and still arguably get seats or at least sit on those platforms. Traffic is the only issue around LA, but it's not that much of a problem.

Churchill isn't that nice and it's generally far too cold that time of year, but I'll probably still go. Keeneland is a great track but cold, small, and expensive. The smaller feel is sorta cool to chit chat with others, especially friendly southerners, though.

PoloUK6108
10-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Keeneland got a tough break with the weather and still put up great numbers. Expecting to see it back in Lexington in the next 5 years.

dilanesp
10-24-2017, 12:18 AM
Keeneland got a tough break with the weather and still put up great numbers. Expecting to see it back in Lexington in the next 5 years.

I would actually lay odds somewhat against this. It is possible though.

tanner12oz
10-24-2017, 07:13 PM

The weather wasn't that bad..chilly in the morning but could have been far worse. Have been there for spring and fall meets that were much colder.

LemonSoupKid
11-01-2017, 08:44 PM
I have connections tickets on Saturday, but not Friday. I'm wondering if anyone has tickets, knows someone who does, or has recommendations for procuring a ticket/entry to Del Mar on Friday. It seems like you guys have stated that you can't drive in there unless you have a parking pass, so I'm wondering if you should Uber to the dropoff point and then walk to the gates to meet a scalper?

Thanks in advance.

tanner12oz
11-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Not sure what your looking for but saw some GA for face for friday on another forum

LemonSoupKid
11-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Not sure what your looking for but saw some GA for face for friday on another forum

Face is fairly crazy I saw for this venue, general admission huh? Over $100?

tanner12oz
11-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Nah for saturday I think was $80 Friday was cheaper..$60 maybe?

tanner12oz
11-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Doesn't look very crowded today

dilanesp
11-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Doesn't look very crowded today

Whatever they announce, there weren't more than 18,000 people here today.

LemonSoupKid
11-05-2017, 10:21 AM
The biggest surprise for me was how everybody pretty much cleared out after the 7th or 8th race