PDA

View Full Version : Shark

OTM Al
07-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Anyone taken a good look at this fellow running at Saratoga tomorrow? This 2yo has some pedigree on him, Danzig is daddy and Seattle Slew is dam sire. Mommy is Surfside who is a G1 winner. A little early to get excited about 2yos but this guy has more dosage letters in his pedigree than a bowl of alphabet soup. His only start looks so-so, 64 Beyer, led most the way and ended 2nd at CD on 6/5.

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2004, 03:40 PM
I know Danzig produced many descendants, do not know the stats. But If I remember right, didn't Surfside run a few races well but then either got hurt or started losing ? I'm trying to remember if Baffert or someone else trained.
64 at CD straight maiden 2nd, maybe the track was not real fast. Probably a good training effort and a little place purse. If that was the first start, in July at CD, there could be big future plans.

RXB
07-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Lukas trained Surfside.

Most sires seem to hit a point at which most of their progeny do not stay sound for very long. Danzig reached that point a few years ago. (And his was not one of the sounder lines to begin with.) Also, once a sire has proven himself top-class, the owners of a son or daughter will be more likely to retire the horse earlier due to breeding considerations.

Expect a short career for Shark.

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks, good info for me when looking at pedigree, which I do quite a bit if I am betting off the program or picking at home on the replays for fun.
I key on soundness also for my show betting.