PDA

View Full Version : Changing the way new posts are delivered...

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2017, 06:44 PM
OK, I had this request after I first updated the board last week, and I've implemented it now going forward.

In the old days, if you logged into the board and hit new posts, it would display the new posts since you last logged in...and if you left your PC for an hour or two and came back, all the new posts, whether read or not, would be automatically marked as read.

OR...if you logged out without reading all the new posts and then logged back in later, all those new posts you didn't read in the prior session would be marked as read.

NOW...the system will remember the posts you have read and those you haven't...even if you go away for a day...even if you log out 10x and log back in 10x...

Now, it might be a little messy at first, since I believe when I first turned it on, it's now giving me 10 days of new posts (explanation for this below)...BUT...it will get better the more you use it...

I will monitor server loads, as this is a little more processor intensive, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Let me know if you have any problems...

There is one catch. Any unread posts or threads OLDER than 10 days will be automatically marked as read, even if unread. That's why if you hit NEW POSTS now you get 10 days worth of unread posts, as I just implemented the feature.

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Once you catch up on your reading for today, I believe if you hit "Mark Forums Read" under the "Quick Links" option in the green menu bar, it will mark all those posts from 10,9,8, etc., days ago as read, so you won't get that long list of old posts next time you click New Posts.

Like I said, a little messy at first, but trust me, this is a much better system for the end user (YOU!) going forward.

Fox
02-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Wow, this place is like fine wine. Sometimes it like coffee that's been sitting in the pot for 12 hours. :coffee:

menifee
02-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Thank you for all the work you are doing to make the site better.

barn32
02-28-2017, 11:08 PM
I made a post. Clicked on new posts. Thread I just posted in didn't show up.

Logged out. Clicked on Today's Post. Same missing thread showed up.

Should I just give it ten days?

I found a few other glitches, but I'll just wait a few days to see
if they iron themselves out.

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2017, 11:14 PM
I made a post. Clicked on new posts. Thread I just posted in didn't show up.

Logged out. Clicked on Today's Post. Same missing thread showed up.

Should I just give it ten days?No, you shouldn't give it ten days. It's acting exactly as it should.

NEW POSTS will now ONLY list threads in which you have not read. And the definition of "read" means you had the last post in the thread on your screen (even if you don't actually see it...if you had to scroll down to see it but didn't, it still will count as read).

Thus, since you made a post in a thread, that means you were at the last post in the thread and it will be marked as read.

If you just want to see today's posts no matter if you've read them or not, under QUICK LINKS you would click TODAY'S POSTS.

Hope this makes sense now.

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2017, 11:14 PM
I found a few other glitches, but I'll just wait a few days to see
if they iron themselves out.That's not very helpful. How about listing them so I can fix them if they are actual glitches.

barn32
02-28-2017, 11:21 PM
That's not very helpful. How about listing them so I can fix them if they are actual glitches.Well, I read a thread, and then when I click new posts it shows up as unread even though the last post in thread is the last one I just read.

Other times, I read a thread, click new posts and the thread I was just reading doesn't show up at all. (Maybe that's normal now, I don't know, but it doesn't make any sense to me.)

Click on new posts, see a thread with unread posts, (that I have already read) click on the take me to last post icon, and it takes me to the first post in the thread. (Doesn't do that all the time, but sometimes.)

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Well, I read a thread, and then when I click new posts it shows up as unread even though the last post in thread is the last one I just read.

Other times, I read a thread, click new posts and the thread I was just reading doesn't show up at all. (Maybe that's normal now, I don't know, but it doesn't make any sense to me.)

Click on new posts, see a thread with unread posts, (that I have already read) click on the take me to last post icon, and it takes me to the first post in the thread. (Doesn't do that all the time, but sometimes.)If you read the entire thread, you'd realize that the first time you use the board with the new message tracking system, it will present the last 10 days worth of posts to you as unread (since it didn't have a record of what you've actually read since I just activated the feature today). That's why on some of the threads that you've clicked the last post icon, it took you to the first post. It has no clue, initially, that you've read anything.

If you've read a thread, and no new posts are added to that thread, the next time you click new posts, that thread will not appear. It will appear if somebody responds to it with a post that you haven't read.

Threads WILL disappear from NEW POSTS once you've read them (and they contain no new posts since you've read them).

If you want a list of recent posts (whether you've read them or not), you will need to click "TODAY'S POSTS" which is under the QUICK LINKS menu option, as I stated earlier in this thread.

barn32
02-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Clicked on new posts just now to edit the post above and the thread was nowhere to be seen. I couldn't remember what forum it was in, so I logged out and clicked on today's posts to find it, and now I forgot why I was going to edit it. :bang:

Going to bed now. Trump speech made me sleepy.

NorCalGreg
02-28-2017, 11:29 PM
That's not very helpful. How about listing them so I can fix them if they are actual glitches.

I noticed when editing a post....all the emojis, funny faces, numbers on the

right don't show up ------------------------------------------------>>>>>

Not a big deal. Also...I tried to cut-paste an "embed code" from facebook--all that showed was the raw code.

I'll post it below ----tell me what I did wrong. Was under the impression just posting the code was enough

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:64%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ANrUaN5PJEE?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="563" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2017, 11:29 PM
Clicked on new posts just now to edit the post above and the thread was nowhere to be seen. I couldn't remember what forum it was in, so I logged out and clicked on today's posts to find it, and now I forgot why I was going to edit it. :bang:

Going to bed now. Trump speech made me sleepy.Dude, how many times do I have to tell you, NEW POSTS won't show you a thread that you have read. That's the beauty of it. It functions differently than it used to.

If you want to see a thread that you've read, and you don't remember where it is, use TODAY'S POSTS under QUICK LINKS.

Enjoy your much needed rest.

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2017, 11:30 PM
I noticed when editing a post....all the emojis, funny faces, numbers on the

right don't show up ------------------------------------------------>>>>>

Not a big deal. Also...I tried to cut-paste an "embed code" from facebook--all that showed was the raw code.

I'll post it below ----tell me what I did wrong. Was under the impression just posting the code was enough

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:64%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ANrUaN5PJEE?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="563" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>Where did I say facebook would embed? :lol: All I have now is YouTube and Twitter. You want facebook? I'll see if I can add it...

And if you want emojis while editing, you need to click the GO ADVANCED button...the editor now is a "quick edit" system that doesn't need to reload a page in order for you to edit and repost...but it also doesn't give you full editing functions, like emojis...in that instance, GO ADVANCED is your friend.

HuggingTheRail
02-28-2017, 11:39 PM
Can I get an email alert whenever EMD posts?

ReplayRandall
02-28-2017, 11:42 PM
Can I get an email alert whenever EMD posts?
Won't that created a server overload fatal-error??....I think so...:pound:

PaceAdvantage
03-01-2017, 01:07 AM
Just for the record on Facebook...I can't add it at this time...:pout:

barn32
03-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Dude, how many times do I have to tell you, NEW POSTS won't show you a thread that you have read. That's the beauty of it. It functions differently than it used to.

If you want to see a thread that you've read, and you don't remember where it is, use TODAY'S POSTS under QUICK LINKS.

Enjoy your much needed rest.Dude, I am very, very old. Old people have problems with technology. You need to show a little more empathy toward the aged.

But the fact that you don't is probably why you're a Republican.

PaceAdvantage
03-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Come now...you know you aren't supposed to talk politics in the horse racing posts. Keep it to off-topic please...I know it's hard for people like you to keep your biases in check outside of the political realm, but please, please try your best! :popcorn:

I apologize for calling you dude. I thought barn was more insulting, but hey, what do I know? :lol:

barn32
03-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Come now...you know you aren't supposed to talk politics in the horse racing posts. Keep it to off-topic please...I know it's hard for people like you to keep your biases in check outside of the political realm, but please, please try your best! :popcorn:

I apologize for calling you dude. I thought barn was more insulting, but hey, what do I know? :lol:By the way, and yes I'm probably still doing something wrong, but this response of yours, which is new, did not show up under new posts. I found it by doing as you said /quick links/today's posts.

PaceAdvantage
03-01-2017, 09:53 AM
I appreciate you bringing anything you think might be wrong to my attention.

And I truly do apologize for getting a little surly earlier...

I haven't noticed any problems with new posts, but I am definitely keeping my eye out...I can always go back to the old way if this turns out to be problematic for people...

barn32
03-01-2017, 10:02 AM
I appreciate you bringing anything you think might be wrong to my attention.

And I truly do apologize for getting a little surly earlier...

I haven't noticed any problems with new posts, but I am definitely keeping my eye out...I can always go back to the old way if this turns out to be problematic for people...This latest (new) post of yours did show up under new posts. It seems to be hit and miss.

I think we all should just give it some time. It will all work out in the end. If it doesn't, then it's not the end.