PDA

View Full Version : Fake Subway Chicken

woodtoo
02-28-2017, 01:05 PM
CBC program Market Place reveal DNA testing on 5 popular fast food chicken products, results are in. Subway chicken patties are 53.6% and
strips are 42.8% real chicken.
Stay healthy just not at Subway.:rant:

FantasticDan
02-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Still, that's some pretty tasty sawdust :pound:

HalvOnHorseracing
02-28-2017, 01:22 PM
CBC program Market Place reveal DNA testing on 5 popular fast food chicken products, results are in. Subway chicken patties are 53.6% and

You don't get to sell foot longs for $6 if the ingredients are primo. Same reason I avoid Little Caesar's. You can't convince me you can sell two large pizzas with real tomatoes and mozzarella for $5.

I get my sandwiches at this Italian deli. He pulls the meats and cheese logs out of the deli-case, slices them right there. Only way to go.

PhantomOnTour
02-28-2017, 01:34 PM
You don't get to sell foot longs for $6 if the ingredients are primo. Same reason I avoid Little Caesar's. You can't convince me you can sell two large pizzas with real tomatoes and mozzarella for $5.

I get my sandwiches at this Italian deli. He pulls the meats and cheese logs out of the deli-case, slices them right there. Only way to go.

Same reason i haven't eaten at Taco Bell since 1988. Something that costs around 35-50 cents has got to be trash.
Gave up soft drinks for thew new year, and that's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

davew
02-28-2017, 01:41 PM

But Subway says they use less than 1% soy products, so the rest must be water.

barahona44
02-28-2017, 01:51 PM

I, for one, will not try to convince you because you only get one pizza for $ 5 at Little Ceasars.
Different price points for different types of buyers.Not everybody can (or wants to) shell out 18 or 19 dollars at your neighborhood independent pizza parlor even if it does taste better.

woodtoo
02-28-2017, 02:02 PM
But Subway says they use less than 1% soy products, so the rest must be water.

I watched the show last night, They said it was mostly soy and about 50
different names of salts and sugars with the grill marks added after cooking
for looks.

Robert Fischer
02-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Fast food is low quality, no matter what the commercials claim.

highnote
02-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Same reason i haven't eaten at Taco Bell since 1988. Something that costs around 35-50 cents has got to be trash.
Gave up soft drinks for thew new year, and that's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Taco Bell's meat doesn't even look like meat.

My wife was at the supermarket yesterday and said steak costs $17 per pound. That's over a dollar per ounce.

There is no way fast food joints can use real meat and charge low prices.

Valuist
02-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Taco Bell's meat doesn't even look like meat.

My wife was at the supermarket yesterday and said steak costs $17 per pound. That's over a dollar per ounce.

There is no way fast food joints can use real meat and charge low prices.

Taco Bell tacos are ground beef. Not steak. Maybe they have steak tacos available, but their regular tacos are ground beef, which is not near $17 per pound.

barahona44
02-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Taco Bell has steak burritos but I'm pretty sure it's a cheaper cut of steak like London broil or blade steak.

Valuist
02-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Taco Bell has steak burritos but I'm pretty sure it's a cheaper cut of steak like London broil or blade steak.

If it's not filet, I'll take ground beef.

HalvOnHorseracing
02-28-2017, 04:48 PM
I, for one, will not try to convince you because you only get one pizza for $ 5 at Little Ceasars.
Different price points for different types of buyers.Not everybody can (or wants to) shell out 18 or 19 dollars at your neighborhood independent pizza parlor even if it does taste better.

One pizza, two pizzas, same point. It's probably fake cheese, dough that tastes like a soda cracker, and I don't even want to guess on the tomatoes.

I'm spoiled because I make my own pizza every week. Obviously I pay retain, but I figure with San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fresh dough, I've got at least $3 into an 11 inch pizza, plus extra for any added toppings. If I put sausage on it, I get all my sausage from a local guy who makes it fresh with no artificial anything. Basil is fresh from the garden (or the Aero-Grow in winter).

Obviously I don't frequent Little Caesar's, but I do remember commercials for the two pizza special. Hence the tag lines "Pizza, Pizza" and the picture of Caesar with two pizza's on a spear.

Here's a chart that shows additives in pizza from major chains. Little Caesar's refused to fess up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ingredients-in-chain-pizza-2015-3

Frankly I think ordering from Little Caesar's is worse than being a liberal.

Marshall Bennett
02-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Fast food is low quality, no matter what the commercials claim.
I agree. I haven't eaten a fast food hamburger in 20 years. McDonalds is disgusting. Their patties after cooked can be pressed as thin as newspaper will little effort. Whats left is water and oil. Their selling point is flavor, not quality. Children are their biggest targets. Never met a kid that didn't crave their garbage. Their breakfast sandwiches are a scam as well. The taste is there, but what's inside is poor quality.

LottaKash
02-28-2017, 05:04 PM
The biggest thing about MSG and it's various disguises, this taken from studies that I have read thru the years, is that, MSG has Proven to be Vaso-Constrictive...It constricts and crimps the blood system and creates bigger problems ,with moving the life giving blood around,,,

This means that people with Heart, Stroke, Diabetes and Related Blood issues should avoid MSG like the plague...

thaskalos
02-28-2017, 05:04 PM
REAL pizza might be better than "fake pizza"...but no pizza at all is best, IMO.

VigorsTheGrey
02-28-2017, 05:17 PM
I eat at subway fairly regularly and have never been disappointed...the veggies are always fresh and the price is low to reasonable. Granted the meats could be improved upon but you get what you pay for so at 6 bucks for the 12" daily special is pretty good. Plus they will give you a cup for ice water, napkins, and a bag...not to mention wrapping your sandwich up as well.....you can get it made to order YOUR WAY right in front of you so you can feel good about cleanliness as they always wear gloves...and usually another person handles the money (dirty) and they bake the bread fresh everyday....they sell a lot of sandwichs which is good for food freshness and the shops are usually clean, warm and have clean restrooms....the employees work hard and are generally friendly and don't expect tips....what more does it take....?

upthecreek
02-28-2017, 05:28 PM
One pizza, two pizzas, same point. It's probably fake cheese, dough that tastes like a soda cracker, and I don't even want to guess on the tomatoes.

I'm spoiled because I make my own pizza every week. Obviously I pay retain, but I figure with San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fresh dough, I've got at least $3 into an 11 inch pizza, plus extra for any added toppings. If I put sausage on it, I get all my sausage from a local guy who makes it fresh with no artificial anything. Basil is fresh from the garden (or the Aero-Grow in winter).

Obviously I don't frequent Little Caesar's, but I do remember commercials for the two pizza special. Hence the tag lines "Pizza, Pizza" and the picture of Caesar with two pizza's on a spear.

Here's a chart that shows additives in pizza from major chains. Little Caesar's refused to fess up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ingredients-in-chain-pizza-2015-3

I have Little Caesars once/twice a month and the pizza just fine

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2017, 05:36 PM

Just goes to show you never tried the Toozy Doozy Special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3hak_qJ8SU

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2017, 05:46 PM
And I'll say that I'm sure that things have changed but being as pizza delivery used to be one of the greatest part-time jobs invented, I, of course, worked for Little Caesars for a while long, long ago.

Back then, we made fresh dough in a berkel. Mixed it, weighed it, chopped it, prepped it. Pretty close to as fresh made as you could get without doing everything by hand and getting ingredients from the mill down the road. Cheese was mostly mozzarella, but did use muenster. Also prepared fresh. Cheese blocks cut down, then processed much like the dough.

I never thought that it was great food and I doubt that things are still done this way in today's world, but back 25 years ago or thereabouts, you couldn't really bust their chops for that side of things. Even peppers, onions, tomatoes and everything but pepperoni and sausage was basically fresh produce sliced or diced in store.

davew
02-28-2017, 06:24 PM
It won't be long until the chicken industry pushes through regulations on what is needed before it can be called 'chicken'.

HalvOnHorseracing
02-28-2017, 06:34 PM

I know people who put ketchup on spaghetti instead of tomato sauce. To each his own.

highnote
02-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Taco Bell tacos are ground beef. Not steak. Maybe they have steak tacos available, but their regular tacos are ground beef, which is not near $17 per pound.

Only about 36% Taco Hell tacos are ground beef:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/29/taco-bell-beef_n_5232605.html

The supermarket sells ground beef for about $5.99 per pound. That's about 75 cents per 2 ounce serving. I'm guessing there are about 2 ounces in a Taco Hell taco.

Now Taco Smell probably gets their meat products a lot cheaper than $5.99 per pound, but then they add a bunch of other stuff to make it stretch. See below:

http://jezebel.com/5742413/this-is-what-really-hides-in-taco-bells-beef

Beef, water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.

It tastes ok, but you probably wouldn't live long on a steady diet of it.

ReplayRandall
02-28-2017, 07:20 PM
NO COMMENT, even though I just posted one....:puke:

barahona44
02-28-2017, 07:36 PM
I see we have effete pizza snobs here.I'll bet Donald Trump wouldn't have any trouble scarfing down a Little Ceasars pizza - because he's a REAL American.:D

johnhannibalsmith
02-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Dude eats pizza with a fork. Not even sure he's legit New Yorker.

https://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/trumppizza.jpg?w=455

barahona44
02-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Please disregard my previous comment about Trump and pizza.
Are there no heroes left?

If that isn't an Obama move (pizza with fork), I don't know what is.

HalvOnHorseracing
02-28-2017, 07:50 PM
I see we have effete pizza snobs here.I'll bet Donald Trump wouldn't have any trouble scarfing down a Little Ceasars pizza - because he's a REAL American.:D

He was with someone in NY and decided to stop for some real NY pizza at - Sbarro.

ReplayRandall
02-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Dude eats pizza with a fork. Not even sure he's legit New Yorker.

https://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/trumppizza.jpg?w=455
Nice double snipe....

therussmeister
03-01-2017, 09:01 AM
I agree. I haven't eaten a fast food hamburger in 20 years. McDonalds is disgusting. Their patties after cooked can be pressed as thin as newspaper will little effort. Whats left is water and oil. Their selling point is flavor, not quality. Children are their biggest targets. Never met a kid that didn't crave their garbage. Their breakfast sandwiches are a scam as well. The taste is there, but what's inside is poor quality.

Their selling point is location and price. McDonald's succeeds because they have the best locations. About 99.86% of the times I've eaten there is because I needed a quick meal and they were the only available option.

Fager Fan
03-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Food snobs. Exactly what do you think they could substitute for cheese and tomato paste? Even low fat cheese tastes like plastic. The ingredients for pizza are cheap enough to sell for cheap. I think I'll eat a pizza today.

upthecreek
03-01-2017, 09:47 AM
I know people who put ketchup on spaghetti instead of tomato sauce. To each his own.
If you never tried it, I don't know how you comment on it I know one thing, for $5 its a lot better then $12-$15 crap Pizza Hut serves

Robert Fischer
03-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Homemade pizza is pretty good.
If you want to be cheap, you can use a roll of French bread($1), otherwise Pillsberry makes a good dough, or could use a bread machine.

JustRalph
03-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Homemade pizza is pretty good.
If you want to be cheap, you can use a roll of French bread($1), otherwise Pillsberry makes a good dough, or could use a bread machine.

The wife and I love to make home-made pizza. We order in sometimes but the home-made is a fun experience.

I recommmend this if you're making your own

Antimo caputo flour

Order on Amazon

HalvOnHorseracing
03-01-2017, 06:49 PM
If you never tried it, I don't know how you comment on it I know one thing, for $5 its a lot better then $12-$15 crap Pizza Hut serves

I've tried spaghetti and I've tried ketchup. I don't know that I need to try the two of them together to know it doesn't sound appealing.

There's no accounting for taste.

RichieP
03-01-2017, 06:57 PM
REAL pizza might be better than "fake pizza"...but no pizza at all is best, IMO.

Let me know the next time you are in NY area. I will take you to an underground pizza joint in the Bronx that will blow your mind!! (Unless you are watching your cholesterol, then fugghedaboutit)
:)

Light
03-01-2017, 07:26 PM
The wife and I love to make home-made pizza. We order in sometimes but the home-made is a fun experience.

I recommmend this if you're making your own

Antimo caputo flour

Order on Amazon

That flour makes the best Pizza crust. Straight from Italy. I make Pizza's regularly. Mostly California style. California pizza does not use tomato sauce.I pre bake my crust for around 5 - 8 minutes @ 450 to avoid sogginess since I don't have a 900 degree Pizza oven.

When it comes out I put on the Mozzarella and/or other cheeses. From here you can go so many ways in toppings and/or cheese. My favorite is Potato/Gruyere Pizza. Next would be Artichoke/Pesto Pizza. Or Mushroom/ red bell pepper/Pesto Pizza and so on. People who try my kind of Pizza are skeptical at first. Then want the recipe.

JustRalph
03-01-2017, 08:14 PM
That flour makes the best Pizza crust. Straight from Italy. I make Pizza's regularly. Mostly California style. California pizza does not use tomato sauce.I pre bake my crust for around 5 - 8 minutes @ 450 to avoid sogginess since I don't have a 900 degree Pizza oven.

When it comes out I put on the Mozzarella and/or other cheeses. From here you can go so many ways in toppings and/or cheese. My favorite is Potato/Gruyere Pizza. Next would be Artichoke/Pesto Pizza. Or Mushroom/ red bell pepper/Pesto Pizza and so on. People who try my kind of Pizza are skeptical at first. Then want the recipe.

This is normally how we do it, no tomato sauce. High end cheeses. I will try your tip on pre-baking the crust. 👍

Fager Fan
03-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Do you use alfredo sauce? You have to use some kind of sauce else it's just cheese and crust and a little dry.

JustRalph
03-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Do you use alfredo sauce? You have to use some kind of sauce else it's just cheese and crust and a little dry.

A light coating of very good olive oil is our preference. Brushed on if you want it really light. You can use alfredo, we tried that....but it's kind of soggy

johnhannibalsmith
03-01-2017, 09:20 PM
A light coating of very good olive oil is our preference. Brushed on if you want it really light. You can use alfredo, we tried that....but it's kind of soggy

:ThmbUp:

I prefer tomato sauce, but you can make a damn tasty pizza the way that you and wife are doing it.

NorCalGreg
03-01-2017, 09:35 PM
The BLM'S are right--you'all have lived a shameful life of white privilege. :D

None of ya have ever had trailer-park pizza? Take a pack of flour tortillas, spoon on tomato sauce, american cheese and diced up bologna.

HalvOnHorseracing
03-01-2017, 11:44 PM

None of ya have ever had trailer-park pizza? Take a pack of flour tortillas, spoon on tomato sauce, american cheese and diced up bologna.

That makes spaghetti with ketchup sound a lot better.

barahona44
03-02-2017, 12:10 AM
Real pizza has at mimimum,red sauce, mozzarella cheese and at least one meat.Peppers are also welcome.These pizzas named after states (California, Hawaii) can take a long walk off a short pier.

In your hearts (and bellies) , you know I'm right.

Robert Fischer
03-02-2017, 01:19 AM
my only pizza tip = brush crust w/ egg wash

I can't do mozzarella(lactose intolerant), which is a curse for a pizza-lover, but also a blessing.
Incentive to attempt home-made pizza, as well as try some unorthodox cheeses like provolone, cheddar, parmesan, etc

Inner Dirt
03-02-2017, 12:11 PM

Have you really eaten that? It sounds disgusting. I might eat it if the tomato sauce was exchanged for some spicy brown mustard.

NorCalGreg
03-02-2017, 01:13 PM
Have you really eaten that? It sounds disgusting. I might eat it if the tomato sauce was exchanged for some spicy brown mustard.

It's really a case of whatever you have in the fridge at the time.

Besides....what sounds disgusting- tastes pretty good after 3-4 tall cans of Olde English.

Valuist
03-02-2017, 01:57 PM

Disappointed to hear this from a fellow Chicagoan.

Took me almost a year to find good Deep Dish in the Bay area.

Robert Fischer
03-02-2017, 02:47 PM
balling on a budget

garlic french bread = $1
1/2 large can of crushed tomatoes= $.75
ms dash garlic herbs (~2 tbsp.) $.15
olive oil (3tbsp.) = $.35
6 slices provolone $1.50
for $4 you can prepare a large french bread pizza that actually tastes delicious

another $1-$2 = +ground beef or peperoni , mushrooms, additional toppings

upthecreek
03-02-2017, 03:26 PM
If you have an Aldi's supermarket near you, they have a good take home/bake at home pizza

http://kkcb.com/aldis-mama-cozzis-take-bake-pizza-review/

Fager Fan
03-02-2017, 03:35 PM

Interesting. My SO loves pizza with Alfredo sauce but not tried it with nothing before.

upthecreek
03-02-2017, 03:49 PM
I've tried spaghetti and I've tried ketchup. I don't know that I need to try the two of them together to know it doesn't sound appealing.

There's no accounting for taste.
Obviously another subject you know nothing about, but that doesn't stop you from commenting

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Obviously another subject you know nothing about, but that doesn't stop you from commentingWhat the hell man? The posts were deleted for a reason.

No accounting for taste is NOT an insult...look it up...and stop the BS.

woodtoo
03-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Funny no mention of 1/2 chicken 1/2 pepperoni pizza?

Clocker
03-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Disappointed to hear this from a fellow Chicagoan.

Took me almost a year to find good Deep Dish in the Bay area.

Deep dish? Yuck, it's pizza pot pie. It ain't pizza if you need utensils to eat it.

I have friends and family in Chicago, and none of them would touch a deep dish with a 10 foot spork. Me too neither. :)

barahona44
03-02-2017, 05:30 PM

If you have to ask....:)

Since there are some Eye-talian dishes that have chicken (i.e. chicken parmagiana), chicken pizza might be tolerable.Is that a Canadian thing?

JustRalph
03-02-2017, 05:43 PM

Barbecue chicken pizza is popular in some places

It's a sweet sauce with chicken pieces. No big whoop

woodtoo
03-02-2017, 06:00 PM
If you have to ask....:)

Since there are some Eye-talian dishes that have chicken (i.e. chicken parmagiana), chicken pizza might be tolerable.Is that a Canadian thing?

I've seen it in the frozen section but will wait till Subway starts serving it.:p

davew
03-02-2017, 09:17 PM
I suspect that CBC used some crap science and is going to be defending against a defamation lawsuit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/subway-defends-its-chicken-after-cbc-marketplace-report-1.4005268

_______
03-02-2017, 09:31 PM
Deep dish? Yuck, it's pizza pot pie. It ain't pizza if you need utensils to eat it.

I have friends and family in Chicago, and none of them would touch a deep dish with a 10 foot spork. Me too neither. :)

Deep dish has more in common with lasagna than pizza.

I like lasagna. But I don't bring it up in a pizza discussion.

Great pizza comes from a wood fire oven with char marks spotting the thin crisp crust. I'm not a snob about what goes on top of that. As long as it isn't ketchup.

But anything lacking the above falls into the "good" category at best.

Murph
03-04-2017, 09:37 PM
It's really a case of whatever you have in the fridge at the time.

Besides....what sounds disgusting- tastes pretty good after 3-4 tall cans of Olde English.Allright! I'd like to see what you can do with a pak of ramen noodles. :pound: