PDA

View Full Version : If you were a kid in the 70s

OTM Al
07-27-2004, 09:50 AM
There's a good chance that few things affected you as much as seeing Star Wars for the first time. God knows how many times I went to see it over that next year. I just am glad I have that original version on tape as it will likely never show up on any other format. These new films have been pretty poor. They had their moments, but standing up to legend was hard enough, but made harder with poor ploting, weak characters and bad dialogue. Big difference from campy dialogue and plots which were just fine in the originals.

I remember the thrill I got when I saw the trailer for episode I the first time. Wasn't thrilled by the film, but didn't hate it. Saved that feeling for the next one. The point of this diatribe is that the title for the third/final chapter was announced in the last couple days. REVENGE OF THE SITH. Sounds cool, but after having some fond childhood memories savaged by the last one, I feel no thrill. Such a shame. At least Peter Jackson did good by my other childhood (and still for that matter) Lord of the Rings.

PaceAdvantage
07-27-2004, 10:47 AM
They say a DVD version of the first couple of releases is due any time now....

JustRalph
07-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Last night The Family Guy series on Cartoon network did a spoof of Luke Skywalker using his light saber to perform Lasik surgery. Obie one Kenobe (sp) was there instructing him on "using the force" to perform the surgery. He ends up shoving the saber thru the ladies eye and thru the table she is on.

The Family guy is on Adult Swim on channel 176 for Dishnetwork people. around 11p if memory serves right. Followed by Futurama. BTW, the word is that Family Guy is coming back to FOX next year. The DVD sales were so hot that Fox wants it back.
I have read that the creator used to be a big Star Wars fan and one of his favorite targets is now the Star Wars stuff. He says he thinks Lucas ruined it..........

OTM Al
07-27-2004, 02:58 PM
I think a lot of people think he really messed it up. I know he's been parodied on both South Park and The Simpsons too. Never got into watching The Family Guy much. From what I've seen that show's way messed up. My girlfriend watches it whenever she can and likes it quite a bit though.

I always heard the fans talking about Lucas' vision. The older I get I think his only vision was to make big bucks and somehow he lucked into making an all time classic that had a pretty darn good sequel, but was down hill after that.

Dan Montilion
07-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Was Ronald Reagan is Star Wars?

Dan Montilion

bettheoverlay
07-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Dan Montilion
Was Ronald Reagan in Star Wars?

Dan Montilion

He played Darth Vader.

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2004, 05:15 PM
I was born in 1951. And lived in the SF Bay Area. I was spaced out way before Star Wars. But I have a Shi Tzu dog that looks like Chewy.
Thinking about breeding her with a bulldog but I do not know what to call the offspring.

JustRalph
07-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
I was born in 1951. And lived in the SF Bay Area. I was spaced out way before Star Wars. But I have a Shi Tzu dog that looks like Chewy.
Thinking about breeding her with a bulldog but I do not know what to call the offspring.

it took me a minute Ken..........but I got it!

Tom
07-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos

How about calling it Bull-shi-tzu?

ponyplayer
07-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Star Wars is Star Wars...did you ever stop and think you liked the earlier ones because you were younger and not yet jaded by life yet. After all, they are all science fiction and really aimed at young adults, not adults.

I too don't really care for the newer ones, but I think that is why, I was younger, more impressionable then...now I find myself looking for mistakes in the movie...am I an old geezer or what? lol

CryingForTheHorses
07-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Star wars had nothing on PLANET OF THE APES, or LOST IN SPACE. I just loved he old Zakery Smith always ruing everybodys chances of getting off whereever they were.Dr Smith reminds me of that KEN guy on Fox...Doesnt have a clue

Tom
07-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
Star wars had nothing on PLANET OF THE APES, or LOST IN SPACE. I just loved he old Zakery Smith always ruing everybodys chances of getting off whereever they were.Dr Smith reminds me of that KEN guy on Fox...Doesnt have a clue

"Warning! Will Robinson..Warning! Danger! Danger!