PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jay Cronley

JustRalph
02-27-2017, 08:29 PM
https://apnews.com/eda8b5851f9a483f8c9266d03bd40ae5?utm_campaign=Soci alFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APCentralRegion

One of my favs. Exchanged emails with him often back in the day.

"Let it ride" and much more........

whisperlunch
02-27-2017, 08:42 PM
He was fantastic. Great sports mind. Incredible horse writer. This is devastating
I loved his work.

Terrible news.

menifee
02-27-2017, 10:07 PM
RIP - Great, great writer.

Loved his column and his movies.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x5GVfNcivS8

PaceAdvantage
02-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Sad news. Let It Ride still holds up to this day...just watched it a few months ago...read the book it was based on as well.

KPMats10
02-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Does this mean that God liked him? He really, really liked him?

Too soon?

On a serious note, loved his musings on ESPN. Obviously a huge Let It Ride fan.

Cholly
02-27-2017, 11:38 PM
A great loss to the horse racing world and a great loss to the literary world.
Clever and keen with the words, clever and keen with the wit!

Who was running Sunday night? It would seem fitting he had a bet down at some bush track when the Grim Reaper came suddenly. Any bad steward decisions about that time? It could have been a BS DQ that brought him down--that would give him material for his first column above!

MonmouthParkJoe
02-28-2017, 09:55 AM
This is horrible. I too exchanged emails with him over the years. I enjoyed his writing as well. Let It Ride is a movie I still watch all the time, esp before a big weekend.

:rip:

1st time lasix
02-28-2017, 10:10 AM
I am deeply saddened to hear of Jay's demise. What a terrific guy. I was upset when ESPN cut him from his horse racing writing contributions a year or two ago. I truly enjoyed his humor and his creative writing skills. I looked forward to his seeing what he came up with next. At least twenty or more times he and I would swap e-mails....always in reference to odd things that occurred at the track and simulcast outlets. He loved characters with an amazing eye for observation. I am afraid I wasn't aware of his health issue....his passing is a shock. Rest in peace my old friend....you are 8/5 in getting in to the pearly gates... :rip:

MonmouthParkJoe
02-28-2017, 11:41 AM
Sad news. Let It Ride still holds up to this day...just watched it a few months ago...read the book it was based on as well.

Ive thought about buying the book over the years but most copies are a couple hundred. Is the book better than the movie?

whisperlunch
02-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Did anyone subscribe to his website? He left the Tulsa World last year and started his own site. I loved it. He updated it everyday. I will miss his writings bigtime. His Espn column was the best one articles in horse racing section.

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Ive thought about buying the book over the years but most copies are a couple hundred. Is the book better than the movie?I read the book I think before the movie even came out...or right before it came out...had no idea it was that rare.

NJ Stinks
02-28-2017, 11:26 PM
I second many of the comments above. I wish I had sent him an email or two too just tell him how much I enjoyed his stories about the OTB's he visited in Oklahoma. Or was it Nebraska?

Anyway, the man was one special horseplayer! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

RIP, Jay.