PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Saturday, February 25

Teach
02-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Race One:

One-mile 25k state-bred claimer:

:4: ALL ABOUT ASHLEY won out his lifetime conditions about two months ago. He has faced better. He appears to be one of two main competitors in this inner route. “Double-A,” Angel Arroyo, Jr., is in the irons. Arroyo, Jr. has proven he has what it takes during this Aqueduct meet. His stock as a jock is ever-improving. Gary Gullo does extremely well with drops off a win, albeit with a limited sampling. Gullo also does well with claim repeaters. This Tiznow-bred turned in a sharp 4-panels morning work. Appears ready to put his number up on or near the top of the infield tote. Finally, a personal observation: Arroyo -- proportionately -- (who follows these things?) does very well when he’s riding in the first race.

:3: ONECATS CHANCE (the “other” horse) picks up Irad (meet’s leading jock) for trainer Chris Englehart. I like him, but not without some trepidations. No lead-pipe cinch. Should be there; yet has demonstrated inconsistencies. Definitely a “user” in the exotic mix, but… to be left alone on top – unprotected (I’d “buy insurance” in multi-race wagers).

:6: GLOBAL POSITIONING may be, as they say, “The Sleeper”. This Malibu Moon-bred stretches out a couple panels; that may be just what the veterinarian ordered. In his last, on February 11, at six panels, this 5 year-old was passing tiring rivals. If matters break down up front, this gelding may be the one, as they say, “to pick up the pieces” – at a price. Personally, I wouldn’t leave him off your exotic tickets. Eric Cancel is in the irons for trainer Naipaul Chatterpaul.

:2: GLOWING EMBER showed nothing in his last, yet he might just get a piece here. Leah Gyarmati trains this altered son of Bernstein. Yes, this 7 year-old seems to be better suited for the grass; yet it wouldn’t be too big of a stretch for this gelding to complete an exotic wager. An up-and-coming “bug,” Hector Diaz, Jr, is in the irons.

Race Two:

6-furlongs MSW state-bred sprint

:7: GRASSMISS, a Chris Englehart trainee, moves up in company to face MSW state-breds. Yet, I believe – despite the class hike – this bay filly has a chance. A fighting chance. In her last, she drew the rail – not her place to be based on her running-style; she wants outside. She did get bumped in her last. That, for all intents and purposes, compromised any chance she had of winning; she did well to finish third. This filly now draws outside. It suits her running style. There could – the operative word is could – be some value here. “Double-A” is in the irons for Chris Englehart. Chris is he’s having a solid “Big A” meet; he does very well with horses entered in sprints.

:5: DOWNTOWN AT NOON is another M/L longshot who begs your attention. All kinds of troubles in her only pari-mutuel start, i.e., brushed the gate, ducked in, etc. A cleaner trip would do wonders for this 3 year-old Noonmark’s chances. The veteran reinsman, Cornelio Velasquez, is in the irons for trainer Lauren Linn. A sharp 4-panels, handily from the gate work, is saying “I’m ready!”

:3:EXPECT WONDERFUL is no slouch. She’s a well-bred filly; a horse to be reckoned with. She cannot be dismissed. She was third in her only start at Laurel (she did alter course in that one). The filly’s trainer, Mark Reid, does very well with shippers. Julian Pimental is in the irons.

:1: ZEALOUS SCHOLAR was rushed up into contention in her last. She then vied for the lead but eventually faded to third. This chestnut filly now draws the rail -- that may help. Yet, she still may be faced with the task of being rushed up to contend for the lead. If that can be done without too much exertion, she become “a player”. Otherwise… Manny Franco reprises the ride for trainer Peter Kazamias.

Race Three:

A state-bred OC route:

:3: PAPA SHOT has been the absolute model of consistency over his last several races. Yet, this 5 year-old bay gelding does move up off his last start. This gelding’s trainer, Racine, WI’s Linda Rice, is among the meet’s leading trainers. Linda does well in all racing categories. The gelding’s pilot is another statistical “top-o’-the leader-board” contender, jockey Manny Franco. Franco has quickly established himself as one of NYRA’s best.

:4: CAUSE I’M ALEX is another horse to be considered (I’m not sure how the switch to a new barn – recently claimed from Chris Englehart – will play out). Co-owner Rachel Sells is listed as the new trainer. One thing is for certain: this gelding has been a consistent board-hitter. Yet, a bit of a mystery due to the barn switch. I’m willing, based on his past performances, to keep this Afleet Alex-bred, in the mix. “The Louisiana Kid,” Kendrick Carmouche, “The King of Philadelphia,” is in the irons.

:2: THE J Y is another horse that figures to be part of the equation (he would move up if there’s any moisture on the racetrack). It’s been either feast or famine; all or nothing for this Mark Hennig trainee: 11 races, 2 wins (no other board hits). Frankly, this colt’s breeding leans him toward the turf; yet one of his two wins did come on the main, albeit that it was on a wet track (thus, it is moisture, or lack thereof, that plays a big part in your decision to use this colt)

Others to consider are: :5: RIFF RAFF and :6: VINCENTO

Race Four:

State-bred MC route:

:5: BENNY’S BIG BOY, an alliteratively-named altered son of Eskendereya, is my choice in this route. This gelding appears to hold a class edge on the rest in this field. In his last, his first in “the selling ranks, this Giant’s Causeway-bred, finished third against similar. My only gnawing concern is that this gelding’s pedigree keeps saying to me: this gelding is bred for the turf (yet, he’s experienced no success on that surface in four tries). I get the feeling that this gelding’s connections don’t exactly know what to do with him. This chestnut gelding looks like “The Logical”; yet, I would caution “keeping your powder dry”. This is not the kinda horse that one “bets the ranch” on. “The Jamaican Sensation,” Rajiv Maragh, reprises the ride for trainer Dom Schettino.

:1: FLUX CAPACITOR (“Back to the Future”) is another horse that has a shot of having his number put up on the infield tote. I’m not enamored with the fact that this grey gelding is starting from an outside post here on Aqueduct’s Inner. Jockey J.D. Acosta must get this gelding well positioned without unneeded exertion. If Acosta can do that, this gelding has a shot… If not, Arrivederci… Sal Iorio, Jr. – he does well with beaten favorites – is this gelding’s trainer.

:3: SAVE THE TIGERS has faced better throughout his career. He has, most recently, been sliding down the class ladder. Like water, has he reached his level? He finished fourth against similar in his last. Rosario Montanez reprises the ride for trainer Carlos Martin.

:7: CRAWFISH SHORTS, a Congaree-bred, is another gelding that bears a measure of consideration. This Tom Morley trainee finished third in his only start against this caliber of company. Any slight improvement and this gelding would surprise…at a price. I don’t believe you can leave him out of your multi-race ventures. Angel Arroyo, Jr. has his boots in the stirrups.

RACE FIVE:

6 Furlongs Allowance:

At this time, showers should be arriving – or at least be nearby. This will obviously have a bearing on the last few races. Another factor – although I’d have to be in Ozone Park, Queens, NY to see it – would be how much residual moisture, if any, remained from the early morning fog.

:6: RECTIFY gets my nod here. This 5 year-old horse is a consistent sort who’s hit the tote in eight out of 13 lifetime starts. The horse’s trainer, Charley Baker, does very well with horses making their third start off a layoff. Yet, it must be said that Baker does not do particularly well with horses entered: --- second off a claim. Despite all that, this horse is a factor. He must receive due consideration. Antonio Gallardo reprises the ride.
At this point, I’m going to cut back on my typing. My 74 year-old fingers are turning numb.

Others to consider are: :4: DO SHARE; :7: DIVINE INTERVENTIO; :1: ALRIGHT ALRIGHT

Race Six:

Maiden-Claiming 40k, 6 Panels Sprint:

:6: THIRTYDAYSINJUNE is an Algorithms-bred chestnut filly who now drops out of MSW company and into “the selling ranks. As “The Big A,” Tony Stabile, is want to say, MSW to MC is one of the sharpest drops in thoroughbred racing. The last time this Bernardini-bred dropped in “for a tag,” she finished second in 75k company. She’s now descends the claiming totem pole into 40k company. As they say when you do the limbo (the last time I tried, I ended up in a chiropractor’s office) “How low can you go?” The Hall-of-Fame trainer, Bill Mott, saddles this Giant’s Causeway bred. Mott, who’s quietly having an outstanding Aqueduct meet, does particularly well with horses going from MSWs to Maiden-claiming. Lafayette, Louisiana’s own, Kendrick Carmouche, is in the irons. Others: :3: TOO MUCH MALIBU;
:1: MAJESTIC LASSIE; :4: QUANIQUE

Race Seven:

6 Furlong 16k Claimer n2L

:6: SUMMER BOURBON, a Ghostzapper-bred chestnut gelding, goes from Allowance Company to a lower-level claimer. Holy Guacamole, Batman. Judas Priest! (not the heavy metal band). The last time this Awesome Again-bred was entered at this level – 25k, to be exact – he won, easily. I see no reason he can’t do it again against an even weaker field. John Terranova II - he’s quietly having a solid “Big A” meet – is this gelding’s conditioner. Terranova does well with horses entered in a claiming events. Antonio Gallardo is in the irons. Others: :5: PURSUER; :9: NO ENTIENDO; :8: ZARTAX; 7:7:I’M IN.

Race Eight:
T
The 150k Busher Stakes at a mile and a teenth.

:8: SPANISH HARLEM is my pick (tough race to handicap; a case can be made for several horses). This More Than Ready-bred filly would benefit from any moisture on the racetrack. She definitely moves up if conditions worsen. Yes, she is stepping up, precipitously, after a maiden-breaking win. Yet, I’m basing my choice on the track turning sloppy. If not… Danny Gargan trains this Fusaichi Pegasus-bred. Kendrick Carmouche is in the irons. Others: :6: BANTY’S GIRL; :3: YORKIEPOO PRINCESS; :4:HEAVENLY SCORE.

Race Nine:

6 Furlongs state-bred 25k maiden-claiming sprint:

:12: ANNA THERESA should benefit from her outside starting post. Fits well in this company. Would benefit from any moisture on the racetrack. A sharp, recent 3-panels work. I must admit that one of my reasons for picking this chestnut filly is because her trainer, Pat Quick, has a knack of winning these kinds of races. I freely admit: hard to quantify. Yet… Jacqueline Davis’s boots are in the irons. Others: :11: NEW YORK BOURBON; :10: DESSRT AFFAIR; :8: GIN’S DIAMOND