PDA

View Full Version : Taking pulse of the board

PaceAdvantage
02-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Just a quick poll on the revised look

ReplayRandall
02-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Everything looks great, much quicker response times. If I were to change one thing, I would move the ad choice boxes somewhere else.....That space could be better utilized, IMO.

no breathalyzer
02-24-2017, 05:11 PM
works for me i voted.. please keep the background as well.. and switch it up from time to time

PaceAdvantage
02-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Everything looks great, much quicker response times. If I were to change one thing, I would move the ad choice boxes somewhere else.....That space could be better utilized, IMO.The ad choice boxes suck. They provide no relevant links...I'm probably going to remove them...

The space is so small, not sure what to do with it...maybe a chat room? :lol:

lamboguy
02-24-2017, 05:29 PM
at first i didn't like the background but now i do.

congratulations on a very good job improving this board, i look forward to the rest of your planned changes to it.

jahura2
02-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Just a quick poll on the revised look

Love the new look, have to keep adapting to be successful! Thanks for the hard work PA!

therussmeister
02-24-2017, 05:37 PM
I don't mind that there is a photo background, but I don't care for the choice of photos. Why are you showing me snow in February? If I want to see snow in February I'll look out the window. (well not this year but...) Save this photo for July.

bello
02-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Love the snowy backdrop. Spent many days at Finger Lakes in weather like that. Great memories

HuggingTheRail
02-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Voted.....I miss the Asian girls who want to meet me.....

MonmouthParkJoe
02-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Works for me, i actually like the scrolling news and the picture.

Cratos
02-24-2017, 06:22 PM
Great: a major improvement and I am not being cynical

Augenj
02-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Maybe something like this for a background picture? ;)

Red Knave
02-24-2017, 07:07 PM
I appreciate all your hard work and lost hours doing an upgrade like this. Bravo and well done.
I'm not a fan of the background, I'd prefer it plain. Or can you close the little gaps between the posts?

foregoforever
02-24-2017, 07:24 PM

If you can convince him that's Holy Bull, it's as good as done.

FakeNameChanged
02-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Excellent work. I love the background photo and would like to make it my screen saver.

Tape Reader
02-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Don’t like the horses in border and background. Steals away from commentary and valuable ad space.

Your very nice logo on the top identifies this site for horse players.

However, I mostly come here for: tote board, stock market and off topic.

VigorsTheGrey
02-24-2017, 08:43 PM

Now THAT is a horse....!

Augenj
02-24-2017, 09:50 PM
If you can convince him that's Holy Bull, it's as good as done.
Looks like Holy Bull to me. :D

PaceAdvantage
02-24-2017, 10:30 PM
Don’t like the horses in border and background. Steals away from commentary and valuable ad space.Can't put ads out that far anyway...it would blow out (and create horizontal scroll bars in the browser) for people who don't have very wide resolution settings...and there are many of those people out there in this world...

As it is now, my site is too wide (check out Facebook for the standard width of a webpage). Yes, I could STRETCH the site to accommodate most any setting (like it was before)...that's the eternal question in web design...do you create a fixed-width site, or do you create a fluid/liquid design that widens to take up all the room on the browser page. There are pros and cons to each...

HalvOnHorseracing
02-25-2017, 12:12 AM
I agree with many of the comments. The site looks good, but moreover the effort that goes into keeping the board running is hugely appreciated. We can't extend enough thanks to PA.

One thing that is a tangential issue is not having more overt participation from people who are either involved in the business of racing, or who are fan advocates. Don't get me wrong - there are some of those people who do participate here - CJ and Nor Cal Greg come to mind - and there may be more than I know because of the anonymity. But I also know Andy Asaro, to name one, has been a leading advocate for racing fans in So Cal, and while I know he monitors the board, I'm not sure why he isn't participating. But it seems people like that would be important to strengthen the board.

When I started my site, I got a lot of support from quite a few well known handicappers and writers (and unfortunately I don't know how many of them are actually here but using anonymous screen names). Perhaps they are unaware of the site (I certainly was until one of my followers sent me a post on one of my articles) but it would be great if there was a way to induce more participation from owners, trainers, track officials, jockeys, advocates, and writers.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great site either way. Just like Darwin said, diversity keeps the gene pool healthy.

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Andy Asaro was kicked off of here years ago. He became a real handful if I recall...but it's been a while...

no breathalyzer
02-25-2017, 03:31 AM
i knew i had good taste ;)

TexasDolly
02-25-2017, 07:11 AM
I like the speed certainly. The horizontal scroll bars are very bothersome for me . I hope that can be fixed beyond anything else .
Thanks Mike,
TD

barahona44
02-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Like the upgrades and background picture.Appreciate all your work.

classhandicapper
02-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Just a note. People (especially horseplayers) are very resistant to change. People get used to seeing and doing things a certain way. You may get more favorable results a few months from now.

sjk
02-25-2017, 09:22 AM
The background makes me want to close the browser and find something else

Ruffian1
02-25-2017, 09:41 AM
A lot of hard work I am sure.

It is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

JustRalph
02-25-2017, 09:42 AM
I agree with many of the comments. The site looks good, but moreover the effort that goes into keeping the board running is hugely appreciated. We can't extend enough thanks to PA.

One thing that is a tangential issue is not having more overt participation from people who are either involved in the business of racing, or who are fan advocates. Don't get me wrong - there are some of those people who do participate here - CJ and Nor Cal Greg come to mind - and there may be more than I know because of the anonymity. But I also know Andy Asaro, to name one, has been a leading advocate for racing fans in So Cal, and while I know he monitors the board, I'm not sure why he isn't participating. But it seems people like that would be important to strengthen the board.

When I started my site, I got a lot of support from quite a few well known handicappers and writers (and unfortunately I don't know how many of them are actually here but using anonymous screen names). Perhaps they are unaware of the site (I certainly was until one of my followers sent me a post on one of my articles) but it would be great if there was a way to induce more participation from owners, trainers, track officials, jockeys, advocates, and writers.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great site either way. Just like Darwin said, diversity keeps the gene pool healthy.

Dream on. They've been here and gone. A few anyway. They don't get coddled, they soon realize it's a tough crowd. Just like the TVG guys.

There is no racing press, there are very few voices in the game who speak out when shit goes sideways. Except here. Some of the complaining is bullshit, sure. But a bunch of it is dead on and not claptrap spewed by drive by wing nuts. We have some very sharp people on this board and when something really goes haywire, they show up. HANA started here, no matter your opinion of HANA it's been good for the game in the long run.

That's why you don't see track officials, jockeys or trainers. They work too much to respond to what they run into here. Lots of semi retired and retired guys here. We have others who have the luxury of being at a computer all day in their jobs. There was a time when the war room might have 3-5 guys playing the ponies in the afternoon and more in the evenings. Friday nights at HOL was big at one time too. This board reflects the game too.

Tom
02-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Love the snowy backdrop. Spent many days at Finger Lakes in weather like that. Great memories

Reminds me of opening day at the thumb back in the 70's....Brrrrrrrrr!

Great upgrade, PA.....tank you for all you hard work!:coffee:

Ruffian1
02-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Reminds me of opening day at the thumb back in the 70's....Brrrrrrrrr!

Great upgrade, PA.....tank you for all you hard work!:coffee:

It reminds me of Bowie.

Loved that place.

Thanks again PA.

HalvOnHorseracing
02-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Andy Asaro was kicked off of here years ago. He became a real handful if I recall...but it's been a while...

Yeah, I think the CHRB might use stronger language to describe him.

CincyHorseplayer
02-25-2017, 02:59 PM
New look gives me the opportunity to spout off about this board. Greatest collection of real horseplayers. My knowledge of every minute intricacy of the game is enhanced because of this board. Being enlightened and being challenged about who you are as a player elevates your game to at times ridiculous levels. I have formed life lasting friendships from this place and I'm sure more are to come. Having access to chew the fat with people in the industry is fantastic. Our world is all encompassed on this site IMO. Love it. Believe in it. New look is icing!

Cincy rant out!:cool:

citygoat
02-25-2017, 08:00 PM
I like it. It has a fresher feel.

Tape Reader
02-25-2017, 10:36 PM
Hi Boss, this is my second opinion, if I’m allowed another.

The “Works for me” are, IMO, just saying how much they like you and the site. I agree.

The “fill my screen” and “solid color” are what I agree with.
The horses in the boundary give the site a much washed out look, and as I have said before, steal from the commentary.

Love your site, and as an aside, with your knowledge of the stock market, I would like it if you could generate some interesting threads.

JJMartin
02-25-2017, 11:56 PM
I like the new logo but I think I like the old background more.

Secondbest
02-26-2017, 12:48 PM
I also don't like the background and the text is smaller than it used to be.

PaceAdvantage
02-26-2017, 01:11 PM
I also don't like the background and the text is smaller than it used to be.I adjusted a few things just now and made the text settings the same exact as they were with the old board style. Is the text now back to the proper size for you?

Secondbest
02-26-2017, 03:34 PM
I adjusted a few things just now and made the text settings the same exact as they were with the old board style. Is the text now back to the proper size for you?

It looks OK to read but when I type to post it's still a little small. I can read it but it's tiny

JustRalph
02-26-2017, 03:49 PM
It looks OK to read but when I type to post it's still a little small. I can read it but it's tiny

What device are you using to access the board? It's small for me too. I'm on an ipad

Secondbest
02-26-2017, 04:49 PM
What device are you using to access the board? It's small for me too. I'm on an ipad

iPad and an Android tablet.

MutuelClerk
02-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Works for me but I'm easier than Lindsay Lohan on prom night.

barn32
02-26-2017, 06:30 PM
When I click on the icon to take you to the next unread post it never used to work. It might work one time out of ten. It could take you anywhere.

Now, it works about 50% of the time. Sometimes it will even take you a full page away from your last unread post.

There is one forum I visit, that when I click on the same icon, even if it's been six months, it takes me to the exact post.

PaceAdvantage
02-26-2017, 07:48 PM
After a certain amount of time logged in (I think it's 120 minutes), the forum will treat you as if you've read all the new posts. Thus why you are probably seeing confusing results at times with that icon.

This newer version that I upgraded to has additional options available, including one that I think might address your problem, but I haven't read up on it enough to confidently switch.

But it could be improving shortly...

johnhannibalsmith
02-27-2017, 05:53 PM
This new software is much better. I can't tell you how happy I was when I highlighted a block of text and applied the italics function and the text remained highlighted for another function instead of making you highlight the text again.

VigorsTheGrey
02-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Is there any way to have a composition clipboard on the board to cut and pate stuff prior to posting in the dialogue box....Then when I am finished with the composition I can copy the entirety and paste that...there are times when the 15 minutes expires prior to me finishing a script...sorry I'm a rather slow thinker....

Cratos
02-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Is there any way to have a composition clipboard on the board to cut and pate stuff prior to posting in the dialogue box....Then when I am finished with the composition I can copy the entirety and paste that...there are times when the 15 minutes expires prior to me finishing a script...sorry I'm a rather slow thinker....

Compose your responses in MS Word and paste them in the dialogue box. This method should give you more than enough time to "think."

VigorsTheGrey
02-27-2017, 09:12 PM
Compose your responses in MS Word and paste them in the dialogue box. This method should give you more than enough time to "think." Good Idea, thanks Cratos

PaceAdvantage
02-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Is there any way to have a composition clipboard on the board to cut and pate stuff prior to posting in the dialogue box....Then when I am finished with the composition I can copy the entirety and paste that...there are times when the 15 minutes expires prior to me finishing a script...sorry I'm a rather slow thinker....I wasn't aware there was a 15 minute deadline on writing a post. I don't recall a setting that would change a time limit for posting.

I'll check it out.

Another alternative...while composing a note, you could simply hit CTRL-A and then CTRL-C. That would copy your current composition to your clipboard...so if it expires on you, you can simply paste what you copied CTRL-V....

VigorsTheGrey
02-27-2017, 10:52 PM
I wasn't aware there was a 15 minute deadline on writing a post. I don't recall a setting that would change a time limit for posting.

I'll check it out.

Another alternative...while composing a note, you could simply hit CTRL-A and then CTRL-C. That would copy your current composition to your clipboard...so if it expires on you, you can simply paste what you copied CTRL-V....

I know the 15 minute max occurs in the edit post dialogue box..but your suggestion is very helpful also , thank you.

VigorsTheGrey
02-27-2017, 11:36 PM
One innovation might be to hover over the "go to the last post (green arrow)" icon...then a screen script box would appear exactly like it does while hovering over the initial thread/ post on the left...one could rapidly check the last new post in all the threads without actually navigating away into them...yet.

ReplayRandall
02-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Response quickness is slower today as it appears ad loads and background photo must clear first before threads/posts appear.....Minor irritant for the time being.

ldiatone
02-28-2017, 04:27 PM
looks like a fake poll 2 me:rolleyes:

you know i voted 3 times under different names.......:rip::pound:

PaceAdvantage
02-28-2017, 05:24 PM
Response quickness is slower today as it appears ad loads and background photo must clear first before threads/posts appear.....Minor irritant for the time being.Let me know if response time is better now. I fixed a few things.

ReplayRandall
02-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Let me know if response time is better now. I fixed a few things.
You tweaked it just right.....:ThmbUp:

elhelmete
02-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Many thanks for all you do.

I like it. Super fast. I like the winter pic. Reminds me of Suffolk DOwns as a young(er) one, the mixed smells of diesel, manure, and cold air and mud.

deathandgravity
03-02-2017, 01:31 PM
A big thanks for all you do to keep this board up & running.
Like the changes. :ThmbUp:

May have already been answered... what is the history of the background pictures?

Cheers & Giggity

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2017, 01:34 PM
The history is it's the only winter TB racing scene I could find on shutterstock...:pound:

Not sure what track that is...white saddle cloths?

deathandgravity
03-02-2017, 01:42 PM
:)

johnhannibalsmith
03-02-2017, 01:51 PM
I keep trying to figure it out looking through the little gaps in the forum overlap. :D

I thought that it was probably some kind of small fair circuit. It's pretty hard to tell, but it seems like a small track, not a mile configuration. Seems like its set down almost in a valley, at least on one side, with a highway that runs almost alongside the outside fence on what I assume to be the far turn based on the action.

Yet, they don't wear house silks. They seem to all have owner's silks on and the caps don't seem to necessarily match anything other than silks and even that is questionable in at least one case, since the one number I can make out is right behind the guy in pink with green cap and it says '3'. Yet, the guy next to him has the blue cap (w/copper or brown silks?) while he's sporting... brown?

Maybe with enough clues (or red-herrings since 90% of it is guesswork) someone else will put it together.

ReplayRandall
03-02-2017, 03:01 PM
The background photo was taken by Rikard Stadler, a photographer who lives in Sweden. Photo was shot at Täby Galopp, just north of Stockholm, on Feb. 11, 2011.....Here's another race photo taken by a different photographer at the same track.

http://ifahr.net/images/images1/2524.jpg

johnhannibalsmith
03-02-2017, 03:12 PM
The background photo was taken by Rikard Stadler, a photographer who lives in Sweden. Photo was shot at Täby Galopp, just north of Stockholm, on Feb. 11, 2011...

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

I feel better, thanks. I had been wanting to ask someone like Track Collector if he recognized anything familiar. Now I have to gooooooogle Taby Galopp.

johnhannibalsmith
03-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Ha! Looking now, I had basically everything wrong.

The track is almost a mile with turf and hurdles inside. And that truck that gave me the impression that there was a highway just beyond the outer rail and fence is actually maybe on the clubhouse turn. But, presumably they ride backwards (yup, I said backwards) so maybe they call it the far turn anyway. But, I do see some road on the other side too so hell if I can say for sure. Anyway, thanks Randall.

I'll try to embed the photo for anyone else insane enough to care, but its probably too big and will have to just try to make it a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A4by_Racecourse#/media/File:T%C3%A4by_Galopp.jpg

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2017, 03:24 PM
The background photo was taken by Rikard Stadler, a photographer who lives in Sweden. Photo was shot at Täby Galopp, just north of Stockholm, on Feb. 11, 2011.....Here's another race photo taken by a different photographer at the same track.

http://ifahr.net/images/images1/2524.jpgReally!?!? Wow...and here I thought I had at least gotten a US track photo...damn....:pound:

ReplayRandall
03-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Really!?!? Wow...and here I thought I had at least gotten a US track photo...damn....:pound:
FWIW, Taby Galopp closed permanently just a month after photo was taken, racing then moved to a facility named Bro Park.....

johnhannibalsmith
03-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Pretty cool that they have the official backside golf cart maker Club Car as a sponsor. :D

Actor
03-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Maybe something like this for a background picture? ;)Well, that's one way to make the weight. :cool:

Track Phantom
03-03-2017, 12:46 AM
It's clear you do a lot of work on this site and should be commended. I like it...well done.

boys at tosconova
03-03-2017, 02:08 AM
poor choice for a VBulletin theme.

the floating design/static background distracts the user and is very annoying on many levels. + the design aspect is pretty lousy as well.

i've worked with vbulletin b4 and had a client who begged me to use a theme like this and i told him you won't like it once you spend any reasonable length of time using it. i don't think 2 weeks went by before he told me to get rid of it in favor of something less mind confusing.

i'm sure you'll do the same

NorCalGreg
03-03-2017, 02:31 AM
FWIW, Taby Galopp closed permanently just a month after photo was taken, racing then moved to a facility named Bro Park.....

Like they say...Bro's before Ho's

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2017, 02:43 AM

the floating design/static background distracts the user and is very annoying on many levels. + the design aspect is pretty lousy as well.

i've worked with vbulletin b4 and had a client who begged me to use a theme like this and i told him you won't like it once you spend any reasonable length of time using it. i don't think 2 weeks went by before he told me to get rid of it in favor of something less mind confusing.

i'm sure you'll do the sameI'm all ears. If you have a good idea, I'm not too proud to implement it...

boys at tosconova
03-03-2017, 08:04 AM
I'm all ears. If you have a good idea, I'm not too proud to implement it...

there are hundreds of vb themes you could use for your site. some free, some premium, some premium free. each offering slightly different things. just google vbulletin skins or themes for your version and go from there.

i primarily worked with vb4 which came with the publishing suite and cms. i noticed you're using an earlier version w/ vbadvanced. i'm sure it's some what similar in the back end. but i don't think you can use any v4 or v5 themes w/ your version unless you upgrade.

i don't know your extent of using the admin control panel or doing any of these upgrades/uploads/site changes, but there is a setting that will allow the user to pick which theme they can use. (i think it's called quick style chooser) just enable it in the back end and the user can view the forum in another theme or the default standard version...not to mention it has a mobile version option. (the users will see a drop down box w/ choices on the bottom of the page once enabled)

i don't think there's a limit as to how many themes you can upload as well..i know this is an option in vb4. vb4 is very easy to work with and you just have to delve into the expansive back end.

as for your current vb3.8 version. i don't know what limitations you have because i've never used 3.8.

it's pretty much trial and error as you can test drive a theme on a site only to find out later it's coded poorly and has limitations. as for speed and downtimes, i would reccomend getting off a shared network in favor of a vps. going through the right channels and host can save you quite a bit of .$$$ if you don't use hostgator/go daddy or any big name

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2017, 09:48 AM
No disrespect intended, but were you serious with that reply? I'll assume you were and go ahead and address you point by point.

I've looked at basically every free and premium skin through the 14+ years I've been using vBulletin...at least as far as vB 3.x goes, they basically all looked the same, only the colors and buttons change. vB 4 is different, and I might move to that in the near future...we'll see. When vB 4 came out, most everyone hated it...it was as buggy as hell and even major VB sites, TO THIS DAY, like vBulletin.org STILL never went to 4. vB 5 is 100x worse...hardly anyone runs 5 even to this day, and vBulletin is basically dead as a product because of it...they lost their top designers when they were bought out a number of years ago, which was part of their problem, but I digress.

Yup, know full well about the themes, and until my latest "upgrade" of my site, thought they were pretty unnecessary, but definitely plan to add a few user-selectable themes in the very near future...especially a mobile theme, which is necessary these days considering Google's huge push in that direction for sites to be VERY mobile friendly. My user base has always been more desktop-based, so I was never under as much pressure as other sites to adapt, but again, I digress.

As for speed, I've been on a dedicated server since 2011. And a couple of weeks ago upgraded to the top-of-the-line hardware setup for my particular level of dedicated server...the website is absolutely screaming-fast right now, so I suggest you check your internet connection if you think I'm on a VPS (let alone a shared network :pound:)...:lol:

Cratos
03-03-2017, 11:34 AM

i'm sure you'll do the same

What am I not getting from this this upgrade? It is faster and more functional, but what I’ve read thus far is much b***h**g about the background.

Therefore, because something can be improved, it doesn’t mean that it should be improved.

Augenj
03-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Personally, I like the background although some don't though because it seems too intrusive. The image could be made less intrusive by editing it and doing a "grayscale" which would remove the color. (image 1)

Optionally, it could be lightened, also with a photo editor. (image 2)

Just throwing out an idea or two. ;)

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Lightening it was a no go...people thought it was too bright to begin with...

I actually darkened it a bit...seems like it's starting to be more trouble than it's worth...I'm conflicted as to what to do with it...:lol:

johnhannibalsmith
03-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Lightening it was a no go...people thought it was too bright to begin with...

I actually darkened it a bit...seems like it's starting to be more trouble than it's worth...I'm conflicted as to what to do with it...:lol:

Reset the poll every week, have people vote again, and watch as people acclimate.

barn32
03-03-2017, 08:18 PM
I think we should take this :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: away from Mike, because I don't think he could post without it.

JJMartin
03-04-2017, 10:53 AM
I like the old background, the current one does distract. Maybe do a poll just on the background only.

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2017, 12:39 AM
Within a few days, I will be adding additional styles...one for mobile devices...and one that removes the background image...and one that removes the background image and fills the screen like it was before the update.

These styles will be user-selectable via a drop-down box at the bottom of most pages...

LottaKash
03-05-2017, 01:14 AM
I like the old background, the current one does distract. Maybe do a poll just on the background only.

Tho not a real biggie, the white is quite distracting to me as well...Like working in fluorescent kitchen...Stark..

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Tho not a real biggie, the white is quite distracting to me as well...Like working in fluorescent kitchen...Stark..Can you elaborate? I'm not quite sure what you're talking about when you say "the white."

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Within a few days, I will be adding additional styles...one for mobile devices...and one that removes the background image...and one that removes the background image and fills the screen like it was before the update.

These styles will be user-selectable via a drop-down box at the bottom of most pages...NEW USER-SELECTABLE STYLES NOW ACTIVE

There are four new styles available, in addition to the current, default style:

Reduced Width (should eliminate scroll bars for those having this problem)
Reduced Width / No Background (should eliminate scroll bars for those having this problem + no background image)
Full Screen / No Background (FULL SCREEN width and no background image)
No Background (same as current default minus background image)

To select a new style, scroll to the bottom of any forum page and select it from the drop down box on the left.

You can also set a default style in your User CP by going to the following link and scrolling to the bottom in the Forum Skin section (make sure to save it):

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2017, 05:13 PM
As always, I would appreciate feedback (especially negative feedback) on these two new style choices.

The mobile device style is going to take a little longer than I had originally thought...

Mulerider
03-05-2017, 05:18 PM
As always, I would appreciate feedback (especially negative feedback) on these two new style choices.

The mobile device style is going to take a little longer than I had originally thought...

PA, let me be the first to thank you for eliminating the horizontal scroll bars that were driving me nuts! I could only eliminate them by zooming out, but then the text was too small to read. That problem is now solved. Thank you.

HuggingTheRail
03-05-2017, 05:23 PM
No background option is AMAZING

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

cj
03-05-2017, 05:57 PM

Any chance of "no background, not full width" option?

Secondbest
03-05-2017, 08:06 PM
No background is much better.

barn32
03-05-2017, 08:25 PM
Default No Background!

Yay! :jump:

Nitro
03-05-2017, 08:48 PM
NEW USER-SELECTABLE STYLES NOW ACTIVE

There are two new styles available, in addition to the current, default style:

Default 2017 - Reduced Width (should eliminate scroll bars for those having this problem)
Default 2017 - No Background (FULL SCREEN width and no background image)

To select a new style, scroll to the bottom of any forum page and select it from the drop down box on the left.

You can also set a default style in your User CP by going to the following link and scrolling to the bottom in the Forum Skin section (make sure to save it):

That suggested default works great! :jump:
I can now increase the Web image to 130% (to fill the screen) and no longer have to scroll laterally to view the entire posts.
My eyes aren't what they used to be.
Thanks!

JustRalph
03-05-2017, 08:57 PM
No background :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Any chance of "no background, not full width" option?Your wish is my command...two more options added...

Play around with them and set a default in User CP, although I don't think you have to set a default in User CP in order for it to "stick" between logins, but it might be a good idea since cookies aren't 100% reliable.

LottaKash
03-06-2017, 01:23 AM
Can you elaborate? I'm not quite sure what you're talking about when you say "the white."

I was referring to the posting box, which is white, whereas it used to be a beige with green borders of some sort, which to me, was much easier on the eyes...

PaceAdvantage
03-06-2017, 10:01 AM
That's odd, because I just checked the old style settings and it seems the posting box (I assume you mean the box where you type replies) is set to the same color as as the old style before the board upgrade...

098poi
03-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Wow this thing is more accurate than the timer at GP!

nijinski
03-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Well done PA👍

NorCalGreg
03-08-2017, 01:10 AM
Well done PA👍

I agree....everything's pretty much the same--except it doesn't freeze anymore.

You know.....I'm starting to miss those days. Amazing what you can get done, waiting for the site to come up.

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2017, 01:55 AM
Well done PA👍Thank you!

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2017, 01:56 AM
I agree....everything's pretty much the same--except it doesn't freeze anymore.Doesn't freeze anymore...and much faster now on a lot of things...

Exotic1
03-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Just found out about the dropdown options for the screen layouts.

Excellent.

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Just found out about the dropdown options for the screen layouts.

Excellent.Your choice should "stick" between sessions, but just in case it doesn't, you can make sure that it does by going to this link (in your User CP) and scrolling to the bottom section labeled "Forum Skin":

There you can select the screen layout you want and save it...

Exotic1
03-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Your choice should "stick" between sessions, but just in case it doesn't, you can make sure that it does by going to this link (in your User CP) and scrolling to the bottom section labeled "Forum Skin":

There you can select the screen layout you want and save it...

I went to straight to the link you mentioned here. Easy enough.

Thanks. Very nice.

zawaaa
03-11-2017, 11:30 PM
i think the new background is fairly distracting myself, lol

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2017, 04:01 PM
i think the new background is fairly distracting myself, lolThat's cool...that's why I have included some other style options for you to choose from. Scroll to the bottom of any page and look to the left...there is a drop down box with multiple forum skins to choose from, some of which have no background image to distract you. :ThmbUp:

Tom
03-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Great idea to have options.
The place looks terrific to me now! :ThmbUp:

And of course, this guy :pound: is priceless!

VigorsTheGrey
03-14-2017, 12:10 AM
I'm still getting used to the new changes...when I make a NEW THREAD is does not appear on the NEW POST BOARD...I kind of miss that...I think I read that it does appear on everyone else's NEW POST BOARD....then once somebody reads it, it disappears from their LATEST THREAD BOARD...used to be that the LATEST NEW POST THREADS would just scroll in sequence down until someone posted something new, at which point it would arrive on top as the very latest post...kind of liked it that way...now we have to go back to original category to re-review the current hot threads we like and see if we can find them again...:confused:

Now I think I am missing a lot of posts because I used to spend nearly all my time in the NEW POST BOARD...

PaceAdvantage
03-14-2017, 12:56 AM
I'm still getting used to the new changes...when I make a NEW THREAD is does not appear on the NEW POST BOARD...I kind of miss that...I think I read that it does appear on everyone else's NEW POST BOARD....then once somebody reads it, it disappears from their LATEST THREAD BOARD...used to be that the LATEST NEW POST THREADS would just scroll in sequence down until someone posted something new, at which point it would arrive on top as the very latest post...kind of liked it that way...now we have to go back to original category to re-review the current hot threads we like and see if we can find them again...:confused:

Now I think I am missing a lot of posts because I used to spend nearly all my time in the NEW POST BOARD...

Look to the right of NEW POSTS...you see the QUICK LINKS drop down menu? The "Today's Posts" option under QUICK LINKS acts just like the old NEW POSTS did, albeit it only shows you the last 24 hours...

VigorsTheGrey
03-14-2017, 01:31 AM
Look to the right of NEW POSTS...you see the QUICK LINKS drop down menu? The "Today's Posts" option under QUICK LINKS acts just like the old NEW POSTS did, albeit it only shows you the last 24 hours...

I understand now...thank you PA.:)

098poi
03-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Ahhh thanks. i was jujst about to ask about this. When I made a new post it wasn't showing up when I hit new posts. I just clicked Today's Posts. Hopefully it works.

098poi
03-14-2017, 08:10 AM
:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Ahhh thanks. i was jujst about to ask about this. When I made a new post it wasn't showing up when I hit new posts. I just clicked Today's Posts. Hopefully it works.Since the vBulletin upgrade, NEW POSTS shows only that...posts new to you that you have not read.

So, technically, I guess their thinking was, since you just wrote that post, you've technically read it and it's not new to you, so no need to put it in new posts...makes sense on one level, but I wouldn't have minded if they went the other way on that one. It can be confusing.

cj
03-20-2017, 10:50 PM
I just learned something. I think the daylight savings settings actually work now!!! How was this not the first talking point? :headbanger:

Mr. Pick 5
03-21-2017, 01:03 AM
I have a thought/suggestion....is there any possible way we could have a huge group live chat room where all the members could converse?

Aside from that great website and I enjoy being a part of it.

SoCalCircuit
03-21-2017, 10:45 AM
PA any thoughts on an app or mobile interface?

PaceAdvantage
03-22-2017, 04:12 PM
I have a thought/suggestion....is there any possible way we could have a huge group live chat room where all the members could converse?

Aside from that great website and I enjoy being a part of it.I have a chat room ready to go...I may put it up for a limited time soon to see how it impacts the overall performance of the board, as I've heard it can be resource intensive, even though it's a pretty basic chat room.

But it's definitely something that we can play with.

PaceAdvantage
03-22-2017, 04:13 PM
PA any thoughts on an app or mobile interface?There is the ability to have an app, I'm looking into that. However, if I have to covert the entire site over to https I may not go the app route.

Mobile interface is much more likely, and that is something I am working on.

cj
03-22-2017, 04:15 PM

Aside from that great website and I enjoy being a part of it.

Years ago many of us used to frequent the "War Room" here at PA nearly every Saturday.

VigorsTheGrey
03-22-2017, 05:09 PM
I have a chat room ready to go...I may put it up for a limited time soon to see how it impacts the overall performance of the board, as I've heard it can be resource intensive, even though it's a pretty basic chat room.

What does a chat room do that a thread does not do...?

Mr. Pick 5
03-22-2017, 07:31 PM
What does a chat room do that a thread does not do...?

You can see who's currently on and talk to them live and quickly...have more of a flowing conversation for a few minutes as opposed to a sporadic back and forth...threads are good too this is just a different alternative hat can be advantageous at times

Mr. Pick 5
03-22-2017, 07:32 PM
I have a chat room ready to go...I may put it up for a limited time soon to see how it impacts the overall performance of the board, as I've heard it can be resource intensive, even though it's a pretty basic chat room.

Awesome....Definitely will give it a go when it's live.

VigorsTheGrey
03-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Are there better times for chat rooms than others....? Maybe a 1 hour prior to East Coast tracks start time.....and then another late after West coast tracks close....? Or are days like MonTuesWeds better?

FrankieFigs
03-22-2017, 07:45 PM

Love the chat rooms on the big days. Loads of fun and tons of great discussion.