PDA

View Full Version : My Grandfather Was Picked Up As A "Wetback".

Teach
02-22-2017, 06:22 AM
“I’m not a ‘wetback,’” my grandfather said. “I’ve never been to Mexico in my life,” he continued.

It was the Eisenhower years. My grandfather had traveled from Syracuse, NY to Houston, TX to visit his youngest son, my Uncle Louis.

As my uncle tells it, his father (my grandpa was a swarthy man) was up early one morning to have some breakfast at a local diner. After breakfast, as my grandfather headed back to his son’s house, he was picked up by immigration enforcement agents (The Eisenhower Administration had just started “Operation Wetback”).

Well, according to my uncle, agents took my grandpa to their headquarters in downtown Houston; they began interrogating him. Although my grandfather’s English was never crisp, he tried his best to explain to authorities that he hadn’t crossed into the United States from Mexico.

In the end, my grandpa called his son (my uncle) and told him where he was. My uncle came down to immigration headquarters and explained to authorities that the man they had in custody was a naturalized U.S. citizen who had never lived in nor visited Mexico. The thought of my grandfather, at the time past his 60th birthday, swimming across the Rio Grande was quite frankly, ludicrous. My grandfather was such a frail man that a strong gust of wind would literally blow him over.

Finally, after its implementation, “Operation Wetback” gave rise to arrests and deportations by the U.S. Border Patrol that were civil rights violations, which resulted in several hundred United States citizens being illegally deported without being given a chance to prove their citizenship.

As for my grandfather, he made his way back to Syracuse, NY. When I saw him a few months later, he said, “They should have known (immigration authorities), I can’t speak a word of Spanish.”

RunForTheRoses
02-22-2017, 07:27 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/20/fake-news-site-gives-liberals-alternate-reality-where-hillary-is-president/

http://www.hillarybeattrump.org/

davew
02-22-2017, 09:17 AM
It is much easier now for people from all over the world and get in legally with a student visa, and then stay to become an illegal, no need to swim across an ocean or river...

TJDave
02-22-2017, 12:38 PM
This sounds like a bad title to a country/western song.

Grandma and reindeer come to mind.

Actor
02-22-2017, 12:54 PM
It is much easier now for people from all over the world and get in legally with a student visa, and then stay to become an illegal, no need to swim across an ocean or river...I don't know the details but if a foreign student with a visa can get a Ph.D. in certain fields (science/engineering) they can legally stay forever. The government seems to think that not many Americans will study that hard.

woodtoo
02-22-2017, 01:30 PM
“I’m not a ‘wetback,’” my grandfather said. “I’ve never been to Mexico in my life,” he continued.

It was the Eisenhower years. My grandfather had traveled from Syracuse, NY to Houston, TX to visit his youngest son, my Uncle Louis.

As my uncle tells it, his father (my grandpa was a swarthy man) was up early one morning to have some breakfast at a local diner. After breakfast, as my grandfather headed back to his son’s house, he was picked up by immigration enforcement agents (The Eisenhower Administration had just started “Operation Wetback”).

Well, according to my uncle, agents took my grandpa to their headquarters in downtown Houston; they began interrogating him. Although my grandfather’s English was never crisp, he tried his best to explain to authorities that he hadn’t crossed into the United States from Mexico.

In the end, my grandpa called his son (my uncle) and told him where he was. My uncle came down to immigration headquarters and explained to authorities that the man they had in custody was a naturalized U.S. citizen who had never lived in nor visited Mexico. The thought of my grandfather, at the time past his 60th birthday, swimming across the Rio Grande was quite frankly, ludicrous. My grandfather was such a frail man that a strong gust of wind would literally blow him over.

Finally, after its implementation, “Operation Wetback” gave rise to arrests and deportations by the U.S. Border Patrol that were civil rights violations, which resulted in several hundred United States citizens being illegally deported without being given a chance to prove their citizenship.

As for my grandfather, he made his way back to Syracuse, NY. When I saw him a few months later, he said, “They should have known (immigration authorities), I can’t speak a word of Spanish.”

This tale reeks of BS. I call.:rant:

boxcar
02-22-2017, 03:37 PM
I don't know the details but if a foreign student with a visa can get a Ph.D. in certain fields (science/engineering) they can legally stay forever. The government seems to think that not many Americans will study that hard.

Educate yourself. Learn where the U.S. ranks in math and science, thanks to dumb-down policies of most public schools.

Tom
02-22-2017, 06:58 PM

Sounds like a racist to me.
All your relatives talk like that?

Jess Hawsen Arown
02-22-2017, 09:41 PM

Lesson learned. Next time, towel off.

ElKabong
02-22-2017, 11:17 PM
Who is more butt hurt? Psychotic Trump haters, or Falcon fans and Tom Brady haters? They all seem to post some weird shit the past couple of weeks

Fager Fan
02-23-2017, 12:37 AM
Where did ol' Grandpa immigrate from?

highnote
02-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Good story. It just shows how much ignorance there is in the world.

Remember Keith Hernandez of the New York Yankees?

He was doing a TV show in NYC for a Spanish TV station. During the commercial break, the host of the show asked him to say something in Spanish to the audience. He turned to the host and said, "I don't speak Spanish." :D

Fager Fan
02-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Good story. It just shows how much ignorance there is in the world.

He was doing a TV show in NYC for a Spanish TV station. During the commercial break, the host of the show asked him to say something in Spanish to the audience. He turned to the host and said, "I don't speak Spanish." :D

That's not ignorance. That's just a wrong assumption.

Teach, are you going to answer my question?

HalvOnHorseracing
02-23-2017, 05:58 PM

Speaking of ignorance, I'm not sure the Yankee fans or the Mets fans would be more irritated about placing Hernandez on the Yankees. He played for the Cardinals and the Mets, and even played a few games for the Indians, but he wasn't a Yankee.

highnote
02-23-2017, 09:48 PM
That's not ignorance. That's just a wrong assumption.

Definition of "ignorance": lack of knowledge or information.

Tom
02-23-2017, 09:53 PM

Or the inability to understand either.

highnote
02-23-2017, 10:04 PM
Or the inability to understand either.

Host: "Keith, do you speak Spanish?"

Keith: "No."

Host: "Can you speak to our audience in Spanish?"

Fager Fan
02-23-2017, 11:51 PM

Right. And it's meant as an insult. The person you spoke off just made a mistake or wrong assumption.

highnote
02-24-2017, 01:28 AM
Speaking of ignorance, I'm not sure the Yankee fans or the Mets fans would be more irritated about placing Hernandez on the Yankees. He played for the Cardinals and the Mets, and even played a few games for the Indians, but he wasn't a Yankee.

Glad you caught that. The irony wasn't lost on me. :lol:

Fager Fan
02-24-2017, 07:48 AM
Teach, why no conversation about the threads you start? You post your essays then run. I'm still curious about the ethnicity of your grandfather that had him mistaken as a Mexican. It's not a tough one to answer.

Tom
02-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Discussion is not his goal.
Best to put him where he belongs, - on IGGY.

Jess Hawsen Arown
02-25-2017, 05:26 PM

That is true. It is also true that knowledge does not equal intelligence. Some mighty stupid people have boatloads of book learnin' and have no idea how to apply that knowledge to real life.