PDA

View Full Version : Board is back up...

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2017, 10:01 AM
As you can see, things look a little different. Shortly, I will have an alternate style available for those who want to go back more to the way things looked (no background image, and content spread across the entire page).

This new style will have the background picture (which will change as the seasons progress), and all content will be centered...not sure which way I like better.

I'll have a mobile style in place soon for those using smaller screens.

I still have much to do, but all the hard work is out of the way for now.

Some new features include attachment thumbnails (for new attachments only...I still have to run a process to get all the already posted attachments into thumbnails), the ability to quote multiple posts at a time, a much better search engine response time, as well as a bunch of other little stuff.

I've been up all night and will likely not sleep today...:lol:

There is still much to do and add. I want to toy around with a chat room and also a mod that updates "live" threads without having to refresh...

Have fun...

EMD4ME
02-20-2017, 10:02 AM
Much appreciated boss. Great job!

Augenj
02-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Looks and feels better. Great job. :)

Augenj
02-20-2017, 10:34 AM
I might be missing it but is there a link to clear the New Posts?

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2017, 10:35 AM
I might be missing it but is there a link to clear the New Posts?You mean Mark All Forums as Read? It's under Quick Links now...I might break it out...let me know if that's what you mean?

Augenj
02-20-2017, 10:40 AM
You mean Mark All Forums as Read? It's under Quick Links now...I might break it out...let me know if that's what you mean?
I should have looked there first. Either way is OK with me. Thanks.

Redboard
02-20-2017, 12:08 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Thank you!

One thing though, I can't get the Quick Reply text box to work like I can on other vBulletin boards. I could never get that to work on the old one here either.

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Do you click the small "Quick Reply" button on the post you're replying to? It's the small button on the right...it activates the Quick Reply window...

Four buttons...Reply | Quote | Multi-Quote | Quick-Reply...they are on every post in the lower right corner...

_______
02-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Looks and feels better. Great job. :)
Just using this as a sandbox now.

_______
02-20-2017, 12:20 PM
Just using this as a sandbox now.
Still tetsing

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2017, 12:37 PM
I put up a new news section on the home page...let me know what you guys think about it...

www.paceadvantage.com

DeltaLover
02-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Not like the background and I prefer not having the main window centered. You have mentioned that you will provide for an old style compatibility mode, something that I will certainly use. One thing that I would like to see in PA is RSS feed.

barn32
02-20-2017, 01:37 PM
You are probably aware of this, but whenever I post on my phone the font comes out microscopically small.

Redboard
02-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Oh , ok Mike, I get it. I never noticed the fourth option at the bottom of every post.

Here's a snapshot from another vBulletin board (Version 4.2.3). I just have to type into the box at the bottom of the thread and hit reply, no need to hit anything else.

Notice at the bottom of every post they have:
1)Reply
2)Reply with Quotes
and
3) that little "+" symbol with some kind of icon which says "Multi-Quote This Message".

You have a fourth options "Quick Reply to This Message" which is actually "Quick Reply to this Thread" that brings one to the bottom and makes the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom type-able, I believe.

You just do things a little differently, that's all. Never mind.

FrankieFigs
02-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Looks good. I like the background, and changing it with the seasons is a great idea. Kudos!!

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2017, 07:24 PM
The board has crashed three times today. And you're not going to believe what I just found out.

I purchased a dedicated server in 2011 for this website. It's a pretty hefty monthly fee to host on a dedicated server.

Apparently, my hosting company NEVER upgraded my server in all these years. I'm running a 2GB machine with i3 dual-core processor!

For the same exact price, right now, at the same company, I can get 16GB of ram an SSD drive and a 1.7Ghz 8-core processor!

Needless to say, I demanded an upgrade ASAP, and once that's done, I can only assume these crashes will be a thing of the past.

My mind is FREAKIN' BLOWN by this revelation...no wonder this website drops dead multiple times a day...

DeltaLover
02-20-2017, 08:03 PM
The board has crashed three times today. And you're not going to believe what I just found out.

I purchased a dedicated server in 2011 for this website. It's a pretty hefty monthly fee to host on a dedicated server.

Apparently, my hosting company NEVER upgraded my server in all these years. I'm running a 2GB machine with i3 dual-core processor!

For the same exact price, right now, at the same company, I can get 16GB of ram an SSD drive and a 1.7Ghz 8-core processor!

Needless to say, I demanded an upgrade ASAP, and once that's done, I can only assume these crashes will be a thing of the past.

My mind is FREAKIN' BLOWN by this revelation...no wonder this website drops dead multiple times a day...

Have you checked https://www.linode.com/ or
https://www.digitalocean.com/ ?

I use linode and the cost for a box is very reasonable (starts with $10 / month) and you have full access to it, you can install any software you like, ftp, scp, ssh etc.

Zaf
02-20-2017, 09:21 PM
New logo looks sharp ! :ThmbUp:

Z

HuggingTheRail
02-20-2017, 09:26 PM

another dissatisfied customer of Gufstreamtimer.com

Tom
02-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Looks good. I like the background, and changing it with the seasons is a great idea. Kudos!!

Oh , ok Mike, I get it. I never noticed the fourth option at the bottom of every post.

Here's a snapshot from another vBulletin board (Version 4.2.3). I just have to type into the box at the bottom of the thread and hit reply, no need to hit anything else.

Notice at the bottom of every post they have:
1)Reply
2)Reply with Quotes
and
3) that little "+" symbol with some kind of icon which says "Multi-Quote This Message".

You have a fourth options "Quick Reply to This Message" which is actually "Quick Reply to this Thread" that brings one to the bottom and makes the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom type-able, I believe.

You just do things a little differently, that's all. Never mind.

How did you use the + multiple quote - I hit that and nothing happens.
I single quoted to get this post??

MikeH
02-20-2017, 09:50 PM
New design looks great to me. Seems a little faster also.

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2017, 10:08 PM
How did you use the + multiple quote - I hit that and nothing happens.
I single quoted to get this post??When you click the + multiquote button on a particular post, it should change from green to red color. That means it's marked to quote. Then you can go to another post and click the + multiquote button and that one will light up red as well. Then when you click REPLY (or QUOTE, which means you'll quote whatever post you clicked QUOTE with as well), you'll see you'll be quoting all those posts where the +multiquote is red...

The +multiquote button is basically a way to mark whatever posts you want to quote in your next reply.

cj
02-20-2017, 10:09 PM
When you click the + multiquote button on a particular post, it should change from green to red color. That means it's marked to quote. Then you can go to another post and click the + multiquote button and that one will light up red as well. Then when you click REPLY (or QUOTE, which means you'll quote whatever post you clicked QUOTE with as well), you'll see you'll be quoting all those posts where the +multiquote is red...

New design looks great to me. Seems a little faster also.

Piece of cake. :)

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2017, 10:10 PM
New design looks great to me. Seems a little faster also.It's blazing fast when it's not crashing...but as soon as I get my host to move me from 2011 to 2017 hardware, we should be perfect.

Tom
02-20-2017, 10:21 PM
When you click the + multiquote button on a particular post, it should change from green to red color. That means it's marked to quote. Then you can go to another post and click the + multiquote button and that one will light up red as well. Then when you click REPLY (or QUOTE, which means you'll quote whatever post you clicked QUOTE with as well), you'll see you'll be quoting all those posts where the +multiquote is red...

The +multiquote button is basically a way to mark whatever posts you want to quote in your next reply.

Got it - it does turn red.
Definitely much fast for me.
Thks for all the hard work :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

cj
02-21-2017, 11:05 AM
What happened? Font too big now. I'm not that old yet :)

PaceAdvantage
02-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Really? 1/2 pt made that much difference, eh?

One day I'll get the hang of this web thing yet...

I will admit, that even though I upped it by only 1/2 point, it sure seems like it's bigger than that.

JJMartin
02-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Really? 1/2 pt made that much difference, eh?

One day I'll get the hang of this web thing yet...

I will admit, that even though I upped it by only 1/2 point, it sure seems like it's bigger than that.

The larger size has caused the page not to fit evenly on the screen (at least for me) and a horizontal scroll bar appears at the bottom.

The new logo is cool but I hope you still leave an option for the classic view.

JustRalph
02-22-2017, 06:55 AM
I cannot upload images

Crashes when I hit upload

JustRalph
02-22-2017, 06:56 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/RaquelWelchApr2010%282%29.jpg

I can apparently link to images on the web, just fine

Grits
02-22-2017, 08:40 AM
What happened? Font too big now. I'm not that old yet :)

You are that old, too!! You just had eye surgery 'cause you couldn't see to read....'member? :pound:

Actually, I wanted to use this new emoji. It makes me laugh

Edit to add: Now the entire page can be seen. Don't have to scroll left to right!!!

THANK YOU, MIKE!!!

Grits
02-22-2017, 08:47 AM
Oh, and I love the background photo, too. It'll change with seasons, and I like that. It adds interest and depth. :)

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2017, 10:05 AM
I cannot upload images

Crashes when I hit uploadI saw this last night. It's a bizarre error, because it only occurs with certain images. And it's not isolated to a certain type.

There is one image I can't upload, but others upload fine. The image in question isn't big either.

I'm looking into this...it's doesn't actually crash the board, it just generates an error message.

cj
02-22-2017, 10:06 AM
You are that old, too!! You just had eye surgery 'cause you couldn't see to read....'member? :pound:

Actually, I wanted to use this new emoji. It makes me laugh

Edit to add: Now the entire page can be seen. Don't have to scroll left to right!!!

THANK YOU, MIKE!!!

Eye surgery was for distance, not reading. I don't need readers just yet! :)

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2017, 10:13 AM
I cannot upload images

Crashes when I hit uploadI have figured it out...I have it set where a user can't upload duplicate images...if you've already uploaded the image to the board at some point, it won't let you upload it again...

I know it generates a php error message at the top of the screen (and I need to figure out why that is), but it also tells you in a more appealing way why the upload failed and points you to the thread where you have already uploaded that image.

Is that the error you received (not the php error, but the descriptive error in English that appears above the "Choose File" button).

Let me know...I'll probably turn off that restriction just to get rid of that error, if you can confirm that's what happened to you (it's what happened to me).

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2017, 10:19 AM
I was able to turn off the error message...

What do you guys think? Should I allow people to upload the same attachment more than once? Yeah, I probably should until proven otherwise...:lol:

Grits
02-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Eye surgery was for distance, not reading. I don't need readers just yet! :)

Carly Simon had this BIG hit record, it's titled...

YOU'RE SO VAIN :pound:

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2017, 10:21 AM
I was able to turn off the error message...

What do you guys think? Should I allow people to upload the same attachment more than once? Yeah, I probably should until proven otherwise...:lol:I love talking to myself...lol...I've turned off the restriction...

Ralph, let me know if this fixed the problem for you.

JustRalph
02-22-2017, 11:49 AM
Let's try this...pretty sure I haven't uploaded a dupe.

My browser was actually crashing.....no error message.

Now I just get "image upload failed" no matter size or file type

I'm using an ipad

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Hmmm....I'll have to test this out later. I'm kind of stumped. You're just trying to upload one image, not multiple images, correct?

JustRalph
02-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Hmmm....I'll have to test this out later. I'm kind of stumped. You're just trying to upload one image, not multiple images, correct?

Just 1

MikeH
02-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Thks for all the hard work :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:
+1

JohnGalt1
02-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Looks fine to me.

Glad you kept the same design and font sizes.

My only suggestion to your site is to eliminate, or roll the Handicapper's Corner into the handicapping section. It is redundant and very few post there.

I seldom even click on it.

Thanks,

Wickel
02-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Like the feel of the board. Good job, Pace.

VeryOldMan
02-22-2017, 05:17 PM
+1

+2

I greatly appreciate the work put into maintaining this board.

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2017, 11:58 PM
Let's try this...pretty sure I haven't uploaded a dupe.

My browser was actually crashing.....no error message.

Now I just get "image upload failed" no matter size or file type

I'm using an ipadI didn't change anything...but I saw in another thread that you were able to upload an image...I have no clue why or how it resolved itself...I'd be shocked if it's completely resolved...

thespaah
02-23-2017, 12:00 AM
As you can see, things look a little different. Shortly, I will have an alternate style available for those who want to go back more to the way things looked (no background image, and content spread across the entire page).

This new style will have the background picture (which will change as the seasons progress), and all content will be centered...not sure which way I like better.

I'll have a mobile style in place soon for those using smaller screens.

I still have much to do, but all the hard work is out of the way for now.

Some new features include attachment thumbnails (for new attachments only...I still have to run a process to get all the already posted attachments into thumbnails), the ability to quote multiple posts at a time, a much better search engine response time, as well as a bunch of other little stuff.

I've been up all night and will likely not sleep today...:lol:

There is still much to do and add. I want to toy around with a chat room and also a mod that updates "live" threads without having to refresh...

Have fun...

I like it. The image in the background is pretty cool. Nice going PA!!!!

JustRalph
02-23-2017, 09:04 AM
Let's try again

Ok, I think I figured it out. It's an iPad thing. Any basic pic works. But if it's been edited in any way, it fails. I edit almost all my pics, crop etc. had to find one that was not edited. It worked. I took a fresh pic, without edit it worked too.

This pic is unedited.....worked like a dream

surfdog89
02-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Looking Good from the west coast Pace.........always thought your site was awesome...........Pace I Thank you for using my site on your Home Page for many years........Handicapper's Corner..........call me if you come to Del Mar for the Breeder's Cup this year.......I will get 2 tickets for you on Friday and Saturday............

Tom
02-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Let's try again

Ok, I think I figured it out. It's an iPad thing. Any basic pic works. But if it's been edited in any way, it fails. I edit almost all my pics, crop etc. had to find one that was not edited. It worked. I took a fresh pic, without edit it worked too.

This pic is unedited.....worked like a dream

Uh...what the hell is that, Ralph?

JustRalph
02-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Uh...what the hell is that, Ralph?

:lol:

Prime rib cuts waiting to hit the grill a couple of nights back. We cut our own.

gillenr
02-24-2017, 12:18 PM
The options under "quick links" are more limited than they were. I don't want "selections" or "harness".

PaceAdvantage
02-24-2017, 12:28 PM
I realize that...I plan to put them back in...it's on the list.

gillenr
02-24-2017, 05:19 PM
That's good.

FantasticDan
03-02-2017, 06:47 PM
The feature of "insert link" where you could give the hyperlink a title, instead of just posting the link? I used to use it pretty often, but it's gone now?

VigorsTheGrey
03-02-2017, 08:11 PM
The post EDIT dialogue box time limit is now limited to 5 minutes, down from 15 minutes prior to redo...

Greyfox
03-02-2017, 08:16 PM
I'm missing something.
I was reading a thread on Jeff Sessions.
Then pushed new posts and it disappeared.
Backing up a couple of pages I found it again.
Pushed new posts and it disappeared again.
Is that on purpose?

Greyfox
03-02-2017, 08:21 PM
I'm missing something.
Is that on purpose?

So ...even the above post disappeared and I found it again on Quick links "today's posts."
Okay. That works. But I'm not a fan of that function.

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2017, 11:23 PM
I'm missing something.
Is that on purpose?NEW POSTS will only lists threads with new posts you have not read. If you read a thread...it's not going to show up on NEW POSTS again until someone else actually posts a new reply.

It's a much better way than in the past, as it remembers what posts you've read and what you haven't between login sessions...meaning, say you log in after a few days and hit NEW POSTS...it will list all the threads where there are posts you haven't read. Let's say there are 25 threads with new posts.

Now let's say you only get to read 13 of them before you get called away from your device for a few hours, or you log out of the board entirely.

In the past, when you came back to the board and logged in, you'd hit NEW POSTS and it would list all the threads with new posts SINCE YOU LOGGED OUT, omitting the threads you didn't get to read in the prior session, because the board used to mark them as read (whether you actually read them or not) after an hour or two of inactivity, OR when you logged out.

But now, it will remember those 12 threads you didn't get to read last time, PLUS any new threads with posts since you logged out...meaning...you'll never miss a new post again.

So yes, once you read a thread, it will disappear from NEW POSTS as it should, since there are no more new posts in that particular thread as of now.

And yes, TODAY'S POSTS under QUICK LINKS will give you a list of threads that have new posts in the last 24 hours, and will continue to list them even after you've read them.

Many people have clamored for a way to have it so that the board "remembers" what you have and haven't read between login sessions...I think this is a pretty neat new feature...others may disagree.

It used to be very frustrating trying to remember what threads with new posts you've read and what you haven't read in between sessions.

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2017, 11:30 PM
The post EDIT dialogue box time limit is now limited to 5 minutes, down from 15 minutes prior to redo...I can fix this easily.

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2017, 11:31 PM
The feature of "insert link" where you could give the hyperlink a title, instead of just posting the link? I used to use it pretty often, but it's gone now?I will look into this...should be pretty easy to get it back.

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2017, 11:55 PM
The feature of "insert link" where you could give the hyperlink a title, instead of just posting the link? I used to use it pretty often, but it's gone now?It seems to have changed slightly. To do what you'd like, first type out the title you want the link to have, select what you just typed, THEN click the INSERT LINK button and put the URL in the box.

Then you can get what you want:

The PaceAdvantage Home Page! (http://www.paceadvantage.com)

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2017, 12:05 AM
By the way, those trying to figure out the changes to NEW POSTS might want to read the site-wide announcement I put up the other day:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/announcement.php?f=2