PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder (old) question

kingfin66
07-26-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to help a friend copy a Super 8mm cassette to VHS. His camcorder has a microphone jack and what looks to be an A/V jack. The possible A/V jack says "LANC" above it. I tried plugging my cable with A/V on one end, and red/yellow/white audio video on the other end into my VCR. I only got audio because I plugged into the microphone jack. Unfortunately, that is the only jack that the A/V will fit into. The LANC jack, which I believe may be the A/V jack is too small for the A/V.

My own camcorder is an analog VHS-C with an A/V output. It works fine plugging in as described above to either a VCR or Dazzle (converts analog to digital when recording into a computer).

Does anybody have any experience in exporting their analog Super 8 to VHS? Thanks in advance for any help.

DJofSD
07-26-2004, 09:22 PM
You should be able to dub a tape just by plugging in the white/red/yellow RCA jacks into the the camcorder and VHS VCR. Look for a cover that might be hidding the RCA jacks.

What brand of machine is your friends camcorder? Sony - what model?

The jack labeled microphone is typically for using an external microphone instead of the built in. This means it's "input" only -- there's no signal put out on the same jack.

LANC appears to be a Sony digital interface - Local Application Control Bus system which likely predated FieWire/IEEE1394 and USB.

The LANC is a digital interface and from a quick read of some engineering pages on the web, it looks like an RS-232C type of protocal. That's a long way of saying the information on the cable is digital. Unless you have a Sony VCR that expects a LANC connection it's not possible to use the LANC jack to feed a normal analog VCR for dubbing purposed.

DJofSD

kingfin66
07-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Thanks DJ.

The brand is a Sony. I'm unsure what the model number is as I have returned everything to him. I couldn't find any plates hiding the audio/video jacks. He said the unit is 7-8 years old and that he got it for free. It looks like its time for an upgrade to digital video for him.