PDA

View Full Version : The Past Is Prologue: Putin’s Playbook.

Teach
02-19-2017, 08:16 PM
“If France had then marched into The Rhineland, we would have had to withdraw with our tails between our legs.” Adolf Hitler, March 7, 1936

In early March, 1936, Adolf Hitler’s Nazi troops marched across the Rhine River into the demilitarized Rhineland, a buffer zone between Germany and France that had been established by The Treaty of Versailles and the Locarno Pact. Once the Nazi troops marched into this "buffer zone" region of Western Europe the balance of power began tilting toward Germany. As Hitler cited, if France had taken a stand… But she acquiesced (Part of the reason for the reluctance was that France had suffered terribly during World War I). Nonetheless, in the end, the French government did not challenge Hitler’s aggression. France and the rest of Europe would pay a severe price. The policy of “appeasement” had begun. A little over three years later, Europe was engulfed in World War II.

In a similar circumstance in a different era, the current Russian government headed by Vladimir Putin has tried the same “testing” policy. In February, 2014, the Russians wrested Crimea away from Ukraine. At about the same time, a Russian-led insurgency began fomenting rebellion in the main portion of Ukraine. The situation there, to this day, remains in a state of flux.

The information provided above is my reason why Vladimir Putin’s Russia cannot be trusted. What further territories will Putin seek to incorporate?: Belarus (a Russian puppet-state), The Baltic States, Romania, etc. There’s no telling where this will end.

Yes, the past is prologue. The events that occurred over 80 years, prior to World War II, should serve as a warning that history can repeat itself.
In October, 1939, Winston Churchill said, “I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest." The same is true today.

In conclusion, I can’t figure out what’s behind the current administration’s desire for improved relations with Putin’s Russia? I find our own policy, to borrow Churchill’s words: “a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma”. Maybe matters will become clearer as the ensuing weeks pass. As philosopher George Santayana wrote: “Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

chrisl
02-19-2017, 08:32 PM
I believe the saying is.."Those who do not remember what they wrote in the past, are condemned to repeated it" That is what we have going on here.

Show Me the Wire
02-19-2017, 08:46 PM
He is saying Obama should have responded militarily in the region and Putin would have retreated with his tail between his legs. Oooops.

Tom
02-19-2017, 09:24 PM
In conclusion, I can’t figure out what’s behind the current administration’s desire for improved relations with Putin’s Russia?

Probably the same reason HILLARY tried to do the same thing, and OBama, and Reagan.......world peace.

Or is it your plan to just attack and be done with it?

Teach
02-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Berlin, Germany - Brandenburg Gate - June 12, 1987

"Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall!"

President Ronald Reagan

woodtoo
02-20-2017, 10:41 AM

"Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Walt!"

President Ronald Reagan
I see!

davew
02-20-2017, 11:40 AM
well the Russia propaganda machine is working well, all I hear is demotwit calls for revolution.

woodtoo
02-20-2017, 11:54 AM
I knew from a very early age
That I was a special child, indeed.
Mommy and Daddy never made rules
I'd get what I wanted, we agreed.

I went to schools without any grades
To encourage a healthy esteem.
And got participation trophies
For being on dozens of teams.

Win lose or draw just didn't matter,
For being there, I got a reward.
I didn't have to work to succeed,
since no one cared if anyone scored.

At home I got a big allowance,
Although I never did any chores.
And always got lots of cash,
To go to the mall and other stores.

I found that all truth was relative,
What mattered was "Is it true to me"
Ethics were not really a concern,
Getting by was the only key.

Morals were something we never discussed,
If it felt good to me it was fine.
I do what with whomever I please,
Having no regret, drawing no lines.

I get all my news from Facebook friends,
They're the people I know I can trust.
And since all I know and do is right,
Then others will have to adjust.

I never bother to go to church,
It doesn't matter what you believe.
Some people go, to worship God,
But its in their minds, they're just deceived.

Now I'm having a terrible time,
Since the election, everything's wrong.
The liars and haters all have won,
The world has changed, I don't belong.

Everyday I hear such hateful things,
That Trump's gonna do to refugees.
Blacks and women don't have a chance,
With his prejudicial policies.

I cant and I wont accept defeat
All our goals were so good and pure.
We must stop Trump by any means
Or our whole world is doomed for sure.

Today our Professors let us skip class
If we marched against Trump tonight.
And all of them said that they'll give A's
Just like they did on World Burqa Day.

We'll meet after dark, a protest march
We'll take to the streets and be heard.
I'll be on TV, famous at last;
My name will be a protest byword.

We owned the streets, we lit up the night,
We shut down this place, we had no fear.
But now I'm locked up in jail....
I wish Mommy and Daddy were here...

-BakoCarl

barahona44
02-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Wonder if this upcoming movie gets a White House screening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P0saS1peTw

Tom
02-20-2017, 10:04 PM

"Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall!"

President Ronald Reagan
Yes, he said that AFTER he vastly improved relations.
And guess what, the wall DID come down, not through threats or attacks.

elysiantraveller
02-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Yes, he said that AFTER he vastly improved relations.
And guess what, the wall DID come down, not through threats or attacks.

SDI wasn't a threat?

Direct American violation of the ABM Treaty wasn't a threat?

600 Ship Navy wasn't a threat?

How about not so discretely arming the Mujahideen?

Your version of history is certainly different than most.

#alternativefacts

LottaKash
02-21-2017, 09:16 AM
SDI wasn't a threat?

Direct American violation of the ABM Treaty wasn't a threat?

600 Ship Navy wasn't a threat?

How about not so discretely arming the Mujahideen?

#alternativefacts

I agree, as I believe that those things in particular had much more to do with the wall coming down, than Reagan just saying to do it, haha..!

At that point Russia was shot, and so corrupt, and that I think, more than anything else had the most to do with the wall tumbling down...BUSINESS !...

Tom
02-21-2017, 09:23 PM

No, it is not.
What I posted is as true as what you posets.

RIF. You not only need to read the words, you have to understand what they mean.

On the surface, they became closer than any previous Russian dictator.
do you and Teach not understand that that can be exactly what Trump is doing?

Remember the "announcement Ronny made about launching missiles?
He was unpredictable - the Russian were scared to d3ath of him. Couldn't figure him out.

Sound like anyone we know today?

You, of all people should know you can't figure out the Donald! :lol:

elysiantraveller
02-21-2017, 09:53 PM
No, it is not.
What I posted is as true as what you posets.

RIF. You not only need to read the words, you have to understand what they mean.

On the surface, they became closer than any previous Russian dictator.
do you and Teach not understand that that can be exactly what Trump is doing?

Remember the "announcement Ronny made about launching missiles?
He was unpredictable - the Russian were scared to d3ath of him. Couldn't figure him out.

Sound like anyone we know today?

You, of all people should know you can't figure out the Donald! :lol:

You just said a second ago that threats were bad did you not? Now you are pointing out a threat... consistency isn't your strong suit.

I also apologize for missing the point that Donald and Ronald are a lot alike... did the Russians help him win election too? ;)

Tom
02-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Still obsessed with your lousy election picking I see. :lol:

fast4522
02-21-2017, 10:25 PM
You just said a second ago that threats were bad did you not? Now you are pointing out a threat... consistency isn't your strong suit.

I also apologize for missing the point that Donald and Ronald are a lot alike... did the Russians help him win election too? ;)

Both of you guys just maybe should pivot on this one, The Bilderburg Group wanted Muammar Mohammed Abu Minyar Gaddafi dead twenty five years ago. Just maybe CGI made out big time when the then Sectary of State delivered. Those who were aware of that kill list from twenty five years ago also know Saddam Hussein Abd al-Majid al-Tikriti was on that very same kill list, some might say the Bush family did very well from speaking engagements after he died. Ok these guys qualified as monsters enough, but is the Bilderburg Group really after everybody that they can not control? Already Trump has said Kim Jong-un has got to be real careful when in the back of Air Force One a reporter asked the President a question about him.

So the reality is others say when to kill and pay handsomely when the image of the death is televised. And our views are what?