PDA

View Full Version : "Recuse Yourself": Conflict of Interest

Teach
02-18-2017, 08:36 AM
“Recuse yourself,” one of the members of the school committee said. “Your daughter is one of the teachers,” he added. And that was true. The school committeeman’s daughter, Susan, was a teacher. She was a colleague in our high school’s history department. She was - as they say - on one side of the fence; her father on the other.

Well, in the end, the school committeeman in question did recuse himself from voting on the teachers’ contract. Although I can’t speak for him, I’m sure he wanted to allay any concerns that there was even the slightest hint of conflict of interest.

Yes, it’s a far cry from a small town in Massachusetts to Washington, D.C., yet the principles are the same.

I’ve lived for nearly 75 years (I taught history for nearly 40 of those years). My point: I’ve never seen or read about a president and/or his family who used their position to personally profit from their business enterprises or product lines.

This is not a personal ad hominem attack but more a matter of fairness. I do not believe that the president or any member of his immediate family should profit from their position in government.

First, the president’s daughter has various lines of women’s clothing, perfume, etc. If she were a private citizen and not connected to the White House, I’d say “Good Luck!” Free enterprise. Go for it! I am not a lawyer so I do not profess to know the legal restrictions and/or requirements that would affect a “First Family’s” business undertakings. Yet, I believe that it is inappropriate for POTUS’s daughter to engage in business ventures while her father sits in the Oval Office.

As for POTUS himself, he has far-reaching multi-billion dollar business and corporate enterprises all over the world. Just recently, I read that China will allow the Trump name on buildings in that country (formerly forbidden). I ask: What caused that change of heart? Would China (they’re very strict in those matters) have done that for a private U.S. citizen?

My concern: What impact does POTUS’s vast intertwining, world-wide business empire have on his decision-making, especially when it comes to foreign affairs? Could one nation be favored over another? Is it possible that the U.S. would not take action when action was needed? There are other scenarios. Further, in all my years, I’ve never seen anything that rivals this current business enterprises-political stature relationship. I find that relationship quite troubling. Worrisome.

Oh, as for that teachers’ contract, it was approved. I believe, as I recall, we got something like a 2% raise. That raise came, coincidentally, with a spike in gasoline prices. As it turns, the slight increase that we saw in our bi-weekly paychecks probably paid for about five or six fill-ups.

RunForTheRoses
02-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Where was your outrage over Bill Clinton's profiteering. What a fake, phony fraud this Teach is.

Actor
02-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Where was your outrage over Bill Clinton's profiteering.What, exactly, are the charge and specification?

Jess Hawsen Arown
02-18-2017, 09:16 AM
“Recuse yourself,” one of the members of the school committee said. “Your daughter is one of the teachers,” he added. And that was true. The school committeeman’s daughter, Susan, was a teacher. She was a colleague in our high school’s history department. She was - as they say - on one side of the fence; her father on the other.

Well, in the end, the school committeeman in question did recuse himself from voting on the teachers’ contract. Although I can’t speak for him, I’m sure he wanted to allay any concerns that there was even the slightest hint of conflict of interest.

Yes, it’s a far cry from a small town in Massachusetts to Washington, D.C., yet the principles are the same.

I’ve lived for nearly 75 years (I taught history for nearly 40 of those years). My point: I’ve never seen or read about a president and/or his family who used their position to personally profit from their business enterprises or product lines.

This is not a personal ad hominem attack but more a matter of fairness. I do not believe that the president or any member of his immediate family should profit from their position in government.

First, the president’s daughter has various lines of women’s clothing, perfume, etc. If she were a private citizen and not connected to the White House, I’d say “Good Luck!” Free enterprise. Go for it! I am not a lawyer so I do not profess to know the legal restrictions and/or requirements that would affect a “First Family’s” business undertakings. Yet, I believe that it is inappropriate for POTUS’s daughter to engage in business ventures while her father sits in the Oval Office.

As for POTUS himself, he has far-reaching multi-billion dollar business and corporate enterprises all over the world. Just recently, I read that China will allow the Trump name on buildings in that country (formerly forbidden). I ask: What caused that change of heart? Would China (they’re very strict in those matters) have done that for a private U.S. citizen?

My concern: What impact does POTUS’s vast intertwining, world-wide business empire have on his decision-making, especially when it comes to foreign affairs? Could one nation be favored over another? Is it possible that the U.S. would not take action when action was needed? There are other scenarios. Further, in all my years, I’ve never seen anything that rivals this current business enterprises-political stature relationship. I find that relationship quite troubling. Worrisome.

Oh, as for that teachers’ contract, it was approved. I believe, as I recall, we got something like a 2% raise. That raise came, coincidentally, with a spike in gasoline prices. As it turns, the slight increase that we saw in our bi-weekly paychecks probably paid for about five or six fill-ups.

You've also never seen a President who is balls out fulfilling everything he promised during the campaign. If for no other reason, he is on his way to becoming one of our greatest Presidents.

Greyfox
02-18-2017, 09:17 AM
By Teach's logic, only the homeless should be candidates for President.

zico20
02-18-2017, 09:26 AM
By Teach's logic, only the homeless should be candidates for President.

You beat me to it. :D Since when is a businessman disqualified from becoming president. I must have missed that addition to the Constitution. :bang:

RunForTheRoses
02-18-2017, 10:03 AM
What, exactly, are the charge and specification?

What exactly are the charges against Trump? His daughter and a retail outlet? Weak source.
Study up on the Clinton Foundation pay for play nonsense and get back to me.

chrisl
02-18-2017, 10:06 AM
This Teach guy has no logic. Hits and runs... really strange post's

Teach
02-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Zico 20 –

I believe you miss my point. I don’t care if a businessman or woman becomes president as long as they fulfill the Constitutional requirements, i.e., age, birth, length of residence.

However, I personally believe that it is inappropriate for the president or any member of his family to use the office of the presidency, or the recognition of the family’s name that goes along with it, for personal gain.

Let’s say, for example (not going to happen) that I was president. I would find it abhorrent to think that I would endorse any educational product just because I had been an educator. “Buy Teach pencils, you’ll be sharper!” No way! I would want to confine myself to “the people’s business,” not my own.

Frankly, although I respect Queen Elizabeth II, the British Royal Family and the UK’s parliamentary form of government, I’m still not sold on the concept of Royal Warrants. That’s the way they do it over there. That’s up to them. But, personally, it’s not “my cup of tea”.

All I can say is: “A Public Office Is a Public Trust”.

chrisl
02-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Teach: Everyone misses your point...I hope "La La Land" is treating you nice.

Fager Fan
02-18-2017, 10:20 AM
What are you talking about? Ivanka has been hurt by the Dems boycotting her line and some stores cowering to them, removing her line from their stores. I think you heard more fake news about China. The Trump business was said to only continue the buesiness they already have and they'd make no new deals while Trump is Pres. So exactly what is your issue?

Tom
02-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Teach: Everyone misses your point...I hope "La La Land" is treating you nice.

Fresh marshmallows for his cocco every Tuesday! :p

OntheRail
02-18-2017, 10:58 AM
He's democratically butt hurt... deep deep bruising. His issue is the Clinton's crumbled... their Foundation revenue has dried up. Why would that be unless they were influence peddling... and now they have none. And the worst... a Constitutionally Conservative Court.

Trump and team have the Countries Best Interest in mind... Our Country. We the People First... Politics as usual are over.

Swamps Draining... :ThmbUp:

zico20
02-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Zico 20 –

I believe you miss my point. I don’t care if a businessman or woman becomes president as long as they fulfill the Constitutional requirements, i.e., age, birth, length of residence.

However, I personally believe that it is inappropriate for the president or any member of his family to use the office of the presidency, or the recognition of the family’s name that goes along with it, for personal gain.

Let’s say, for example (not going to happen) that I was president. I would find it abhorrent to think that I would endorse any educational product just because I had been an educator. “Buy Teach pencils, you’ll be sharper!” No way! I would want to confine myself to “the people’s business,” not my own.

Frankly, although I respect Queen Elizabeth II, the British Royal Family and the UK’s parliamentary form of government, I’m still not sold on the concept of Royal Warrants. That’s the way they do it over there. That’s up to them. But, personally, it’s not “my cup of tea”.

Should Trump have changed his name to avoid any possible conflict of interest? A multi billionaire with business ties will certainly be viewed by some as exploiting it as a financial windfall. I do not see a 70 year old Trump doing this for personal gain. Most reasonable people do not either. I think he will be hurt more than he benefits in the long run.

Fager Fan
02-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Should Trump have changed his name to avoid any possible conflict of interest? A multi billionaire with business ties will certainly be viewed by some as exploiting it as a financial windfall. I do not see a 70 year old Trump doing this for personal gain. Most reasonable people do not either. I think he will be hurt more than he benefits in the long run.

Exactly. All these professional politicians are politicians for power and personal gain, and these knuckleheads are questioning about the only person we' e voted in who clearly couldn't make a cent more in this position than he would've staying a private citizen? Nuts.

Tom
02-18-2017, 11:40 AM
I hope Trump's family makes BILLIONS of dollars over the next 4 years. :cool:

Jess Hawsen Arown
02-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Zico 20 –

So you are saying that he wanted to be President to promote his business?

The MAN sleeps 5 hours a night pushing through his (i.e., the Deplorables) agenda. There has never been a President with such a monstrous business so close in his rear view mirror. It is almost impossible to completely avoid mentions of it.

President Trump will continue to say things that will make me scratch my head. As he said in his last news conference, he will make mistakes. I agree.

But I focus on reversing the nightmare of the last 8 years. The early returns on his accomplishments in that arena are off-the-charts great despite the hate-America liberals trying to screw him - and the people by proxy.

That is all that is important to me.

LottaKash
02-18-2017, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=Teach There are other scenarios. I find that relationship quite troubling. Worrisome.

.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe that you do, find with our new reality, it very worrisome to you...

Your recent posts, not unlike an psychological X-ray, have revealed much about you lately...

You sound like a wimpish scared little child to me... Probably on meds for that too...