PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Burns and Guadelupe Garcia de Rayos

Teach
02-13-2017, 05:46 PM
“Every moment that she (Massachusetts) hesitates to set this man free, she (MA) is convicted.” Henry David Thoreau (May 29, 1854).

Thoreau is referring to the arrest of an escaped slave named Anthony Burns. In 1853, Burns, then nineteen, escaped from slavery in Virginia and made his way via ship to Boston. While living in Boston, Burns worked at a pie company.

In 1854, while walking on Boston’s Court Street, Burns was apprehended as an escaped slave under the Fugitive Slave Act (“Bloodhound Law”) provision of the Compromise of 1850. Burns’s arrest galvanized opposition to slavery in New England.

As might be expected there was much tension surrounding Burns’s trial. In the end, Burns lost his court case and was returned to his Virginia owner.

About a year or two later, Burns, who had been sold to a North Carolina planter and horse-dealer, was purchased by members of an abolitionist society and returned to Massachusetts as a free man.

Further, Burns was given a scholarship to Ohio’s Oberlin College. He became a non-ordained preacher. He would eventually settle in St. Catharines, Onario, Canada where he died.

More recently, a Mexican woman named Guadalupe Garcia de Rayos, mother-of-two who came to the United States when she was fourteen (she had lived in the United States for 20 years) was arrested at a routine check-in at an immigration office.

Garcia de Rayos had pleaded guilty in 2009 for using forged documents to get a job (a felony). She was to be deported in 2013; however, President Obama stayed her deportation order because Garcia de Rayos, an undocumented migrant, had entered the United States as a child.

After her arrest, Garcia de Rayos was brought to Nogales, Mexico. She has a husband and two American-born children.

Garcia de Rayos complained she felt as if she were Mexican drug trafficker Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.

Is she the kind of drug-dealing, murderous felons we are seeking to deport?

“A government which deliberately enacts injustice, and persists in it, will at length ever become the laughing-stock of the world.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Slavery in Massachusetts

NorCalGreg
02-13-2017, 06:29 PM
“Every moment that she (Massachusetts) hesitates to set this man free, she (MA) is convicted.” Henry David Thoreau (May 29, 1854).

Thoreau is referring to the arrest of an escaped slave named Anthony Burns. In 1853, Burns, then nineteen, escaped from slavery in Virginia and made his way via ship to Boston. While living in Boston, Burns worked at a pie company.

In 1854, while walking on Boston’s Court Street, Burns was apprehended as an escaped slave under the Fugitive Slave Act (“Bloodhound Law”) provision of the Compromise of 1850. Burns’s arrest galvanized opposition to slavery in New England.

As might be expected there was much tension surrounding Burns’s trial. In the end, Burns lost his court case and was returned to his Virginia owner.

About a year or two later, Burns, who had been sold to a North Carolina planter and horse-dealer, was purchased by members of an abolitionist society and returned to Massachusetts as a free man.

Further, Burns was given a scholarship to Ohio’s Oberlin College. He became a non-ordained preacher. He would eventually settle in St. Catharines, Onario, Canada where he died.

More recently, a Mexican woman named Guadalupe Garcia de Rayos, mother-of-two who came to the United States when she was fourteen (she had lived in the United States for 20 years) was arrested at a routine check-in at an immigration office.

Garcia de Rayos had pleaded guilty in 2009 for using forged documents to get a job (a felony). She was to be deported in 2013; however, President Obama stayed her deportation order because Garcia de Rayos, an undocumented migrant, had entered the United States as a child.

After her arrest, Garcia de Rayos was brought to Nogales, Mexico. She has a husband and two American-born children.

Garcia de Rayos complained she felt as if she were Mexican drug trafficker Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.

“A government which deliberately enacts injustice, and persists in it, will at length ever become the laughing-stock of the world.”

The "theme" of your recent posts all seem familiar...as if I 'm reading the same story over and over...except you refuse to come out and state exactly
your point. This tiny "Chapo Guzman" non-story was blown up by the media...are we supposed to feel guilty?

Your flowery Thoreau quote is unimpressive, inappropriate, and has no meaning in this slanted "puff piece".

The two stories are completely unrelated....unless your agenda is to further the trendy "America is such a terrible place" idea.

Chapo Guzman didn't think so. The Nogales woman committed at least one felony to get here....couldn't have been that bad to her.

You have a problem with America and are using these unrelated people as props to take repeated shots at YOUR country.

Standing up for your country takes courage...tearing it down takes none.

boxcar
02-13-2017, 09:33 PM

She's a convicted identity theft felon! End of story. Instead writing sad sob posts about lawbreakers like her, why don't you send her a monthly support check to help her out in her new digs in Mexico?

Tom
02-15-2017, 10:43 PM

Not to worry.
Out image worldwide is already improving with the end of the Obama years.
8 years of that stumble-bum idiot has taken its toll, but we now have a real American in office and we will survive. :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Fager Fan
02-16-2017, 12:34 AM
So in 20 years, what has this woman done to move towards getting her citizenship?

chrisl
02-16-2017, 03:23 AM
Here we go again "skin like a peach Teach" strikes with nothing again. State and run.

woodtoo
02-16-2017, 11:53 AM
I been in the right place
But it must of been the wrong time

I'd of said the right thing
But I must of used the wrong line

I been in the right trip
But I must of used the wrong car

My head was in a bad place
And I'm wondering what its good for

NorCalGreg
02-16-2017, 12:00 PM
I been in the right place
But it must of been the wrong time

I'd of said the right thing
But I must of used the wrong line

I been in the right trip
But I must of used the wrong car

My head was in a bad place
And I'm wondering what its good for

Dr John...remember when he used to come out wearing a chicken suit?

What was that all about? :D

JustRalph
02-16-2017, 12:04 PM
She's being investigated for welfare fraud too.......I heard on the radio

boxcar
02-16-2017, 12:16 PM
She's being investigated for welfare fraud too.......I heard on the radio

She did come here for a better life, didn't she? Apparently, cheating the American system is easier than cheating the Mexican one. :eek: Who woulda thought?

woodtoo
02-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Dr John...remember when he used to come out wearing a chicken suit?

What was that all about? :D
Just for fun maybe. :confused: