PDA

View Full Version : "Los Gringos"

Teach
02-13-2017, 07:01 AM
“Trump Devuelvenos Texas,” the Mexican protest sign read. As I looked at the photo with the sign that translated: “Trump, Give Us Texas Back,” I thought about my days as a history teacher. The days in which I discussed with my students “The Mexican War”.

That war brought back memories of a 19th century Irish folk song. It was a song that U.S. soldiers who fought in the Mexican War (1846-1848) would frequently sing as they huddled around the campfire. The song was called: “Green Grow the Lilacs”.

Well, during the Mexican War, the Mexicans would send out espias (spies) to try and learn what the Americans were planning. The spies would creep close to the American campfires and would listen for any information they could report back to their superiors.

On several occasions, these spies were asked by their commanders, “Que has aprendido? (What have you learned?). Their reply, in many cases, was, “All we hear are ‘Green Grow the Lilacs’”. It seems that native Spanish speakers have some difficulty pronouncing a second "r" in "green grows", which was elided into "green-gos". That evolved into “Los Gringos”.

johnhannibalsmith
02-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Good folk story but given the word was in use in the 18th century, this gringo thinks it is is but folk story.

boxcar
02-13-2017, 09:48 AM
“Trump Devuelvenos Texas,” the Mexican protest sign read. As I looked at the photo with the sign that translated: “Trump, Give Us Texas Back,” I thought about my days as a history teacher. The days in which I discussed with my students “The Mexican War”.

That war brought back memories of a 19th century Irish folk song. It was a song that U.S. soldiers who fought in the Mexican War (1846-1848) would frequently sing as they huddled around the campfire. The song was called: “Green Grow the Lilacs”.

Well, during the Mexican War, the Mexicans would send out espias (spies) to try and learn what the Americans were planning. The spies would creep close to the American campfires and would listen for any information they could report back to their superiors.

On several occasions, these spies were asked by their commanders, “Que has aprendido? (What have you learned?). Their reply, in many cases, was, “All we hear are ‘Green Grow the Lilacs’”. It seems that native Spanish speakers have some difficulty pronouncing a second "r" in "green grows", which was elided into "green-gos". That evolved into “Los Gringos”.

Please contact the powers to be in ol' Mexico and ask them if they would settle for Kalifornia, instead.

HalvOnHorseracing
02-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Reminds me of two similar stories.

The City of Buffalo in Western NY was not named after the bison, but got its name from a corruption of the French, belle fleuve (beautiful river) by the Indians who lived there. The native pronunciation sounded much like Buffalo.

The other story is that the Italians got the derogatory name WOP because so many of them came here "without papers." The actual etymology supposedly comes from a corruption of the word "guapo" (handsome) pronounced WAPO.

Teach
02-13-2017, 11:28 AM
While we're off on a tangent, my two favorite historical palindromes are:

Able was I Ere I Saw Elba - Napoleon

A Man A Plan A Canal Panama - Teddy Roosevelt

TJDave
02-13-2017, 11:36 AM
It's all griego to me. ;)