PDA

View Full Version : 160,000 evacuated below Oroville Dam

MikeH
02-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Butte, Sutter & Butte Counties. Looks like the situation is not as grave as it was 2 hours ago.

Prayers to all.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132332499.html#wgt=trending

TJDave
02-12-2017, 11:57 PM
I guess the drought is over.

MikeH
02-13-2017, 12:22 AM
Actually, this could have a major impact, worse than the drought, on California water supplies. Lake Oroville supplies a huge % of water to Southern California. It depends on what they need to do in order to fix the spillway. It's hard right now to ascertain facts... the 1st order to evacuate was obviously done (and properly so, IMHO) very radically because there was a chance the spillway would collapse in less than an hour after the 1st announcement.

They've lowered the lake by 1/2 foot in 2 hours, but this is from media reports that I can see and not from Calfornia's Water authority. Looks like now the media is sensationalizing this difficult situation...

Hopefully there are more concrete facts in the a.m.

TJDave
02-13-2017, 12:51 AM
They've lowered the lake by 1/2 foot in 2 hours

Amazing. I know that's a huge dam.

woodtoo
02-13-2017, 12:32 PM
They were warned of exactly this in 2005.

chrisl
02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
They are already jumping on the climate change band wagon. This will be politics as usual. I am in Sacramento, and the radio is going bonkers on how this is the climate change deniers fault.

rastajenk
02-13-2017, 01:04 PM
So it's the Denialists' fault that they're having some weather they haven't had in a few years, a gap that has been caused by the Denialists in the first place? I didn't realize us Denialists had that kind of power.

chrisl
02-13-2017, 01:21 PM
The right is the cause, the left is the solution..Always

JustRalph
02-13-2017, 01:30 PM
They were warned of exactly this in 2005.

The warnings of the danger of the Levee system in New Orleans were traced back to 1968

You can almost always find warnings that were ignored

Valuist
02-13-2017, 02:21 PM
I guess the drought is over.

It's been over for awhile. Maybe far down south it might be in effect but drought in northern half of the state ended over a month ago.

davew
02-13-2017, 03:39 PM
the overflow seems busy - lots of water with only pile of dirt holding it back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzSLbhpOfVw

Clocker
02-13-2017, 03:59 PM
The warnings of the danger of the Levee system in New Orleans were traced back to 1968

You can almost always find warnings that were ignored

Did they spend all of their infrastructure money on high speed rail too? :eek:

davew
02-17-2017, 02:00 PM
The heaviest storm in years is supposed to start in next few hours. The ground is mostly already waterlogged so flash flooding and slides are likely. I hope the dam does not get undercut and collapse as thousands could die...

MikeH
02-17-2017, 02:57 PM
I talked to a civil engineer here in Southern California yesterday who said they've know for 10 years that there were major issues with Oroville Dam, and Jerry Brown has taken the $$ that was earmarked for the repairs and spent it on the High-Speed rail system here in California. Where is the media talking about this?

TJDave
02-17-2017, 03:11 PM
I talked to a civil engineer here in Southern California yesterday who said they've know for 10 years that there were major issues with Oroville Dam, and Jerry Brown has taken the $$ that was earmarked for the repairs and spent it on the High-Speed rail system here in California. Where is the media talking about this?

There are unconfirmed rumors that Jerry will not be in Sacramento this weekend. ;)

classhandicapper
02-17-2017, 04:34 PM
I hate to say this but I can't resist.

This is what happens when you spend billions of dollars educating, providing healthcare, providing law enforcement and court services etc... to millions of unskilled and under-educated illegal immigrants that will not make an equal or greater contribution back for a generation or more. It's leaves very little left over for necessary services like maintaining infrastructure.

Sure, 30 years from now Mexican and other immigrants will probably be providing a huge benefit to the CA economy, but these are the kinds of things that caused wiser men to limit who could come here to a pace that the country could absorb and assimilate comfortably. CA's problems are far from over. Wait until the next recession hits, the stock market contracts etc... and their pension system goes to hell in a hand basket and deficit explodes again.

davew
02-17-2017, 06:13 PM
There are projections of up to 10 inches of rain over next couple days. The local officials are not worried, which I can not understand....

_______
02-17-2017, 06:20 PM

This is complete and utter nonsense.

If you live in California, you should be aware that you had the opportunity to vote on a bond issue to finance the high speed rail project. It passed despite my vote against.

Tell your civil engineer friend to stop conflating boondoggles. One has nothing to do with the other.

davew
02-21-2017, 04:01 PM
San Jose area flooded, rescuing people.

MikeH
02-21-2017, 04:19 PM
This is complete and utter nonsense. If you live in California, you should be aware that you had the opportunity to vote on a bond issue to finance the high speed rail project. It passed despite my vote against.
Tell your civil engineer friend to stop conflating boondoggles. One has nothing to do with the other.

Why do you deny the truth? This has been talked about in a number of places. The reality is: it happened.

chadk66
02-21-2017, 05:40 PM
they reap what they sow

_______
02-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Why do you deny the truth? This has been talked about in a number of places. The reality is: it happened.

The reality is that a dedicated state bond issue is paying for the rail boondoggle. The governor not only hasn't but can't move money from other projects to pay for it.

It's an alternative fact, not the truth. A rumor spread is talked about in a number of places. That doesn't make it true.

Valuist
02-21-2017, 07:45 PM
San Jose area flooded, rescuing people.\

And more rain coming in a few days.

chadk66
02-21-2017, 08:22 PM
hopefully it washes the whole state out to sea:D

_______
02-21-2017, 08:29 PM

The region with the most to lose in flooding is the politically red Central Valley.

Keep rooting for disaster. Then enjoy your $10 lettuce this summer.

davew
02-21-2017, 10:02 PM

Maybe an earthquake splits the state and an island is formed, covering the area with the blue on the coast - it would make it easier for that island to secede and form calimerica or Clinton Island or something...

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/i/MSNBC/Components/Interactives/_swf/Politics/Elections2012/images/overview/maps/PresidentCA.jpg

Valuist
02-22-2017, 10:42 AM
The storms out here are strange. In the Midwest, we'd have summer storms that come thru that looked like the world would end, then 30 minutes later, it would be clear. Here it just is steady rain....and seemingly every day.

chadk66
02-22-2017, 10:50 AM
The region with the most to lose in flooding is the politically red Central Valley.

Keep rooting for disaster. Then enjoy your $10 lettuce this summer.

I grow my own lettuce.

dnlgfnk
02-22-2017, 11:03 AM
They are already jumping on the climate change band wagon. This will be politics as usual. I am in Sacramento, and the radio is going bonkers on how this is the climate change deniers flt.

8/20/15...California Drought Is Made Worse by Global Warming, Scientists Say..."Global warming caused by human emissions has most likely intensified the drought in California by 15 to 20 percent, scientists said on Thursday, warning that future dry spells in the state are almost certain to be worse than this one as the world continues to heat up. . . . The paper provides new scientific support for political leaders, including President Obama and Gov. Jerry Brown of California, who have cited human emissions and the resulting global warming as a factor in the drought...https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/21/science/climate-change-intensifies-california-drought-scientists-say.html?_r=0

2/14/17...A Climate Change Warning for California's Dams...."Scientists have said for years that a warming atmosphere should lead to more intense and frequent storms in many regions."... https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/us/oroville-dam-climate-change-california.html?mtrref=www.google.com

davew
02-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Is it global warming or just the weather?

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21650552-scientists-are-getting-more-confident-about-attributing-heatwaves-and-droughts-human

MikeH
02-22-2017, 02:00 PM
The storms out here are strange. In the Midwest, we'd have summer storms that come thru that looked like the world would end, then 30 minutes later, it would be clear. Here it just is steady rain....and seemingly every day.

We have this "thing" west of us called the Pacific Ocean, and our weather is very different than most other places. I'm guessing the west coast of Australia probably has similarities to us.

Monday we had "showers" similar to the MidWest and Florida: Blue skies one minute, heavy rain for 10 minutes, then clear skies again, and I was thinking how weird this felt for a 67 year old native Southern California. Rarely saw this in the past.

MikeH
02-22-2017, 02:20 PM
The reality is that a dedicated state bond issue is paying for the rail boondoggle. The governor not only hasn't but can't move money from other projects to pay for it.

It's an alternative fact, not the truth. A rumor spread is talked about in a number of places. That doesn't make it true.

The reality is that the California State Budget has included spending for HSR for some time now, outside of the Bond Issue. Here's one that I found, from the State's own website, with a quick search... Amazing how the libs create false news.

"Public Transportation Account Loan for State Operations: A loan of up to $29,316,000 from the Public Transportation Account, State Transportation Fund to the High-Speed Passenger Train Bond Fund for state operations."

Here's another from Wikipedia:
In June 2014 state legislators and Governor Jerry Brown agreed on apportioning the state's annual cap-and-trade funds so that 25% goes to high speed rail (under the authority of CHSRA) and 15% goes to other transportation projects by other agencies.[71] The state's Legislative Analyst's Office estimated that cap-and-trade income in 2015 and 2016 could total $3.7 billion, of which $925 million would be allocated to HSR.

And another Headline from May, 2015:
$500 Million for HSR in Jerry Brown’s Budget

There's at least 11 hits on the 1st page of a search on this topic, including several from the Sacramento Bee.

The state budget has been peppered with this spending for years...I know, because I look at the budget details almost every year. One would be amazed if one looked at the details... 10 - 15 years ago, in a discussion on raising the takeout, I saw, from the State website, that part of the takeout was being used to fund aids research... go figure. I know the facts hurt. You should be sure of what you are saying before you spread falsehoods.

And I'm not going to continue thus conversation with someone that is obviously on a mission to push their agenda... So rant on!

woodtoo
02-23-2017, 11:57 AM
San Jose is under water. Looks pretty bad.

Valuist
02-23-2017, 12:23 PM
San Jose is under water. Looks pretty bad.

Getting a break today. Should be sunny the next two days. US 101 back open. But rain supposed to return on Saturday.

woodtoo
02-23-2017, 01:02 PM
:headbanger: Stay high and dry.

davew
03-02-2017, 04:46 PM
What a mess ...

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/xYh39HbvM7JYn0CHGjqZEA--/YXBwaWQ9eW15O3E9NzU7dz02NDA7c209MTtpbD1wbGFuZQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/fe0129c0fec045c2a44157b855a9bbda.jpg

MikeH
03-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Dave:

Amazing photograph. Now that it's dry, we can see what the operators were up against. Thanks for posting!

ldiatone
03-03-2017, 01:14 AM
here ya go march 1st
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRP-kcEROh8

ldiatone
03-03-2017, 01:16 AM
thank you paceadvantage for now able to post a video easy!!!!:coffee:

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2017, 01:20 AM
You are welcome!

It's been a long time coming! :ThmbUp:

davew
03-07-2017, 01:01 PM
nice progress on March 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xa_Q1R7mGs

so.cal.fan
03-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Brown knew Orville dam needed major repair 10 years ago.He refused to repair it because......
HE IS A GLOBAL WARMING NUT.
He thought because of Global warming there would be a permanent drought and the dam would never fill up again.
Global Warming is a massive hoax...
He is also a lunatic "social justice " advocate.
So he wasted our tax dollars on global warming propaganda and social issues.
Thanks Gov. Moonbeam...you are an idiot.