PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: 2/12/2017

Teach
02-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Race One:

5 DADDY’S THIEF gets my nod in this short-field, state-bred sprint. I believe that with today’s muddy track, the place to be, especially in sprints, will be outside. This Cat Thief-bred 5 year-old has wet-track pedigree on both the top and bottom, e.g., Cat Thief, Storm Cat, Tiznow. Joshua Navarro bring his tack up from the Keystone State to ride in “The Big Apple”. Navarro has won only one race in 20 tries thus far in 2017. Yet his mount today certainly fits in this company, albeit the fact that he’s been on the shelf for six months. If ready, today’s class drop should help. Plus this gelding moves up on a wet surface. Frankly, this gelding’s morning work-tab has been nuthin to write home about. Mike Aro (I remember Mike from his Suffolk Downs days), is the gelding’s conditioner. Aro does very well with horses who have been away from the races for prolonged periods of time. Others: 4, 1A

Race Two:

7 MELODRAMATIC MISS is my choice in this MC sprint. This Munnings-bred grey filly has been a bridesmaid in her last two against similar company. Is today “Graduation Day”? I believe has a solid chance of “breaking her maiden”. This filly has solid wet-track pedigree both up and down, e.g., Speightstown, Smoke Glacken. The filly’s jock is one of NYRA’s finest, Irad Ortiz, Jr. The filly’s trainer is the Racine, WI native, trainer par excellence, Linda Rice. Linda’s having an outstanding “Big A” meet; she does particularly well with beaten favorites. I believe this filly moves up on a wet surface. Others: 8, 9, 3

Race Three:

5 CATS HALO is my medium-longshot try in this n2L route. This Freud-bred filly has solid wet-track pedigree, e.g., Storm Cat, Notebook. I believe this bay moves up on this wet Aqueduct surface. This 4 year-old has faced better in the past. I believe she has the pedigree to get the 8+ panels. Jacqueline Davis is in the irons for the most capable trainer, Gary Sciacca. Others: 2, 4, 3

Race Four:

6 DOGTOWN is my selection in this n3L route. I must admit that I’m partial to the offspring of Stephen Got Even, especially on a wet racing surface. I believe this A.P. Indy-bred moves up here. “The Louisiana Kid,” Kendrick Carmouche, reprises the ride for trainer Bruce Levine. This chestnut gelding does move up from his last winning start, yet, I believe he fits very well in this company. The aforementioned Bruce Levine does very well with winners of their last race. Others: 3, 5, 4

Race Five:

13 REGULUS gets my nod in this claiming sprint. As mentioned, I believe “the outside” will be the place to be, especially in sprints. Thyis 8 year-old gelding fits that bill to a tee. This Distorted Humor-bred should move up on a wet surface. The gelding trainer, A.C. Avila, does well with horses entered in claiming events. Dylan Davis in is the irons. Others: 12, 10, 11

Race Six:

3 PALLADIAN BRIDGE looks like a stick-out here in this allowance sprint. Oddsmaker, Eric Donovan, has installed this chestnut filly as the 6-to-5 M/L favorite. The very capable, Manny Franco, reprises the ride, in this case, for trainer Charlerie Brandon. This 4 year-old should relish the wet going. Others: 2, 5, 6

Race Seven:

5 BENEVOLENCE is my pick in this state-bred allowance sprint. This 4 year-old gelding has solid wet-track pedigree. He also has the services of jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. and trainer KIaran McLaughlin. I believe this gelding moves up on a wet surface. The switch to Irad Ortiz, Jr.’s a plus. Others: 1, 2, 4

Race Eight:

10 SOUTHERN GENTLEMAN is my longshot try in the finale, a maiden-claiming sprint. The Midnight Lute-bred could be a surprise. The gelding has the kind of wet-track pedigree to be a factor in what I perceive as a wide-open race. Dylan Davis in the irons for Greg DiPrima. Others: 8, 3, 5