PDA

View Full Version : When protests become crimes ?

woodtoo
02-10-2017, 06:06 PM
At what point do protests become criminal acts? We have all seen it on all
to much recently.
Berkley was a good example with the protesters smashing and burning even
assaulting one man , leaving him unconscious in the street.
all this over one mans plan to speak on campus.
But why no arrests? Police were present but turned a blind eye while watching criminal acts.
Now just today newly appointed Education Secretary Betsy DeVos being
physically blocked from visiting a DC area school while Tuscaloosa Police
allowed political violence.

Hey Teach, what say you a former career teacher.
Is this what they now teach and promote in the schools these days?
Disobedience of law.

With a new administration there is sure to be plenty of pushback at some point, but who will be charged the protesters or the police?

davew
02-10-2017, 06:39 PM
There are different levels of 'police' with different jurisdictions and backup support.

The 'police' at Berkley were campus cops, which are different levels of 'rent-a-cops' with various skills. Many are 'want-a-be' police that have not made it to a city, county, state yet.

When they are outnumbered with little back-up facing what could be quickly an angry mob, frequently it is better to try to diffuse and hope to identify so that they can be disciplined later.

Teach
02-10-2017, 07:42 PM
I believe in peaceful, non-violent protest as guaranteed in the First Amendment (right to peaceably assemble). These protests must remain within the law, such as the need to get a parade permit. Some of my heroes in this matter are: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Alice Paul (women’s rights leader) and Henry Thoreau.

In an interesting historical event and exchange, Henry David Thoreau was arrested (1846) in Concord, MA on income tax delinquency (he was protesting the U.S. invasion of Mexico; he believed that any lands won in that war - Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo – would be used to perpetuate slavery). One of Thoreau’s visitors while in jail was Ralph Waldo Emerson. The following conversation, or one that was similar, ensued. Spoken with a New England twang: Emerson: “Henry, what are you doin’ in there (jail)? Thoreau: “Ralph, what are you doin’ out there?”

Thoreau’s one night in jail (a relative is believed to pay his taxes) led to his writing his famous essay: “Civil Disobedience”.

Finally, I know of no teacher that I ever taught with or others that I have since met in retirement who would ever advocate violent protest.

TJDave
02-10-2017, 08:05 PM
I believe in peaceful, non-violent protest as guaranteed in the First Amendment (right to peaceably assemble). These protests must remain within the law, such as the need to get a parade permit. Some of my heroes in this matter are: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Alice Paul (women’s rights leader) and Henry Thoreau.

Had MLK waited for permits he'd still be waiting.

Tom
02-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Crowds committing violence were made to be shot into.

woodtoo
02-10-2017, 08:14 PM

In an interesting historical event and exchange, Henry David Thoreau was arrested (1846) in Concord, MA on income tax delinquency (he was protesting the U.S. invasion of Mexico; he believed that any lands won in that war - Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo – would be used to perpetuate slavery). One of Thoreau’s visitors while in jail was Ralph Waldo Emerson. The following conversation, or one that was similar, ensued. Spoken with a New England twang: Emerson: “Henry, what are you doin’ in there (jail)? Thoreau: “Ralph, what are you doin’ out there?”

Thoreau’s one night in jail (a relative is believed to pay his taxes) led to his writing his famous essay: “Civil Disobedience”.

Finally, I know of no teacher that I ever taught with or others that I have since met in retirement who would ever advocate violent protest.
Did you know Steve Nelson principle of Calhoun School
You retired just in time because there are now many who absolutely encourage and advocate violence.

davew
02-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Crowds committing violence were made to be shot into.

But what about the innocent press who are getting a story?

Tom
02-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Heh heh heh.
You said innocent and press in the same sentence. :lol:

BELMONT 6-6-09
02-10-2017, 08:27 PM
But what about the innocent press who are getting a story?

Innocent press??? Are their any??? ha ha

Clocker
02-10-2017, 08:30 PM
innocent press

That's not how you spell "ignorant". :rolleyes:

woodtoo
02-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Duke University sponsoring workshops for the purpose of training students to engage in activism against Trump Administration.

LBGTQA activist Mandy Carter will lead the Feb. 15 event entitled
" Ideas for activism in the Time of Trump".

Higher education, what a joke. Their not learning their proclaiming.

Sounds innocent enough now but wait till they hit the streets.

chadk66
02-13-2017, 01:03 PM
based on the escalation of these protest by the loonies I think we are on the fast track to our next revolution. I didn't figure I'd be alive to see the next one but right now I'd wager I will be.