PDA

View Full Version : Blumenthal VS Donny In The Military

NJ Stinks
02-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Lets compare Blumenthal with not quite Sergeant Bilko.

Blumenthal received five deferments, from 1965-1970, before enlisting in the Marine Corps Reserve, though he was never sent out of the U.S. During his six years in the Reserve, Blumenthal was stationed in Washington, focusing on a slew of local projects, such as a Toys for Tots drive.

link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/09/trump-tweets-dredge-up-blumenthals-vietnam-controversy.html

Here's a link to the Marine Corps Reserves:

http://www.marines.com/eligibility/service-options/reserve

Now let's look at the Almost An Officer & A Gentleman's military experience:

As we’ve reported before, Trump benefited from four student deferments in college and one medical deferment (Trump later said that was for bone spurs in his heels), before being classified 4-F, unfit to serve. Trump played baseball, tennis and squash during his college years. He once said attending a private military-style boarding school gave him "more training militarily than a lot of the guys that go into the military."

link: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/feb/09/donald-trump/trump-wrong-sen-blumenthals-cnn-interview-and-viet/

Guess what? I got a student deferment too and then a high lottery number and missed serving in the military (and Vietnam) altogether. But I'm not so full of shit that I would trash anybody for serving in the Marine Corps Reserves at that time. (Nor would I ever say a Vietnam POW was a loser.)

This guy Trump that you guys celebrate every day played lots of sports in college but managed to avoid serving in the military. That gave the blowhard a chance to work in his Dad's business and get even more filthy rich than most people can imagine.

Aren't you just so proud of how tall Donny stood when he had the chance? :rolleyes: And by way, Blumenthal served 6 months on Parris Island and then 6 years in the reserves. That Richard has to listen to anything at all from this bozo when it comes to military service should be an insult to anybody who ever served in the Armed Forces.

If it is not, I would like to know from a vet why not.

plainolebill
02-10-2017, 02:56 AM
I probably wouldn't give the guy any static but I'm pretty sure very few reservists or National Guard served in Vietnam unless they were on extended active duty, unlike what has happened in the middle east. Draftee's were the ones carrying the load and they were getting them into all the services not just the Army.

My former BIL got lots of deferments but in the end got sucked into the First Cav as a door gunner, came home safe and sound to a career as an award winning industrial arts teacher.

**How many politicians serve? Not many.

barahona44
02-10-2017, 05:59 AM
The Donny (as he was known as a child) didn't have bone spurs, he had a condition known medically as "Park Avenueitis". Symptoms include having wealthy parents with enough financial assets that can be forwarded to Selective Service Board members that wIll influence a positive outcome for their son(i.e. a 4-F classification).

Tom
02-10-2017, 07:31 AM
All that matters is who lied.

chadk66
02-10-2017, 07:53 AM
pretty obvious none of this matters to those of us that supported him. we're so far past that it's ridiculous. the normal playbook got thrown out the window for various reasons. so you'll have to get over it I guess

JustRalph
02-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Nobody cares. It was Trump or Hillary.

That's all that mattered

Funny how reserve duty is laudable now.

But not when GW Bush was flying fighters

Saratoga_Mike
02-10-2017, 12:02 PM
pretty obvious none of this matters to those of us that supported him. we're so far past that it's ridiculous. the normal playbook got thrown out the window for various reasons. so you'll have to get over it I guess

That's probably a healthy view (on your part), but it eats at Trump. He's consumed by this stuff. You must see this? It takes his focus off of more important matters.

By the way, a Republican strategist, who was shepherding the judge around the Senate, corroborated Senate Blumenthal's comments (I understand people questioning his veracity, but not the Rep). I know you don't care, but I think it's clear, at least to any objective person, what was said.

Clocker
02-10-2017, 12:19 PM
That's probably a healthy view (on your part), but it eats at Trump. He's consumed by this stuff. You must see this? It takes his focus off of more important matters.

Trump wants everyone to like him. If you don't like him, attacks and insults will continue until you do. :p

DSB
02-10-2017, 01:45 PM
What is it with leftists that they feel the need to lie in order to make themselves look good?

Hillary - "landing under fire"
Warren - "I'm part native American"
Williams - "we were under rocket fire in the helicopter"

and the worst of all:

Blumenthal - "when I was fighting in Viet Nam"

The reason Blumenthal's lie is the most egregious is because it comes under the heading of "stolen valor."

simply despicable.

Tom
02-10-2017, 03:19 PM
What is it with leftists that they feel the need to lie in order to make themselves look good?

Hillary - "landing under fire"
Warren - "I'm part native American"
Williams - "we were under rocket fire in the helicopter"

and the worst of all:

Blumenthal - "when I was fighting in Viet Nam"

The reason Blumenthal's lie is the most egregious is because it comes under the heading of "stolen valor."

simply despicable.

Trump - "while I was rolling naked in a pile of money with two blondes I just met.":eek:

barahona44
02-10-2017, 06:52 PM
That attitude sounds mighty familiar.

Oh, yeah.

"At this point, what difference does it make?"

Tom
02-10-2017, 08:21 PM
That attitude sounds mighty familiar.

Oh, yeah.

"At this point, what difference does it make?"

Wow, you equate this to the deaths of 4 Americans?

barahona44
02-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Wow, you equate this to the deaths of 4 Americans?
Certainly not but I said the ATTITUDE is the same.Clinton is trying to minimize the past just as many on this board will minimize or dismiss Trump's past, no matter how relevant it is to his performance.Shakespeare had it right: Past is prologue.

PaceAdvantage
02-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Funny how reserve duty is laudable now.

But not when GW Bush was flying fightersA point that will be ignored by the current critics of course. But excellent pickup, as always.

NJ Stinks
02-11-2017, 03:54 PM
A point that will be ignored by the current critics of course. But excellent pickup, as always.

Reserve duty is laudable to a doctor's note. That's an excellent pickup?

PaceAdvantage
02-12-2017, 01:46 PM
GWB was in the reserves and never saw combat and was roundly criticized.

Now we are to hold up Blumenthal in some high regard because he did the same in comparison to Trump.

Whatever you say man...

Fager Fan
02-12-2017, 01:53 PM
The OP misses the point dramatically. The point was someone lying about their military service, not anything else.

NJ Stinks
02-12-2017, 10:12 PM
The OP misses the point dramatically. The point was someone lying about their military service, not anything else.

The OP reiterates:

If you paid a doctor in order to get a medical discharge to keep you out of the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War, you have not earned the right to criticize a man who went through basic training for the Marine Reserves at Parris Island and then served for 6 years in the Marine Reserves thereafter.

One would think Don would have the sense to keep his unpatriotic mouth shut forevermore about Vietnam. But when you have so much money, I guess buying the doc's note was just another "shrewd deal" in Don's mind. :rolleyes:

Fager Fan
02-13-2017, 12:08 AM
The OP reiterates:

If you paid a doctor in order to get a medical discharge to keep you out of the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War, you have not earned the right to criticize a man who went through basic training for the Marine Reserves at Parris Island and then served for 6 years in the Marine Reserves thereafter.

One would think Don would have the sense to keep his unpatriotic mouth shut forevermore about Vietnam. But when you have so much money, I guess buying the doc's note was just another "shrewd deal" in Don's mind. :rolleyes:

And I repeat that the issue was his lying, and everyone has the right to criticize stolen valor and using fake military service for his political purposes.

woodtoo
02-13-2017, 10:14 AM
And I repeat that the issue was his lying, and everyone has the right to criticize stolen valor and using fake military service for his political purposes.
This is actually a crime and to be taken very seriously.
Then again "haters gotta hate"