PDA

View Full Version : The "Unwritten Constitution": Tax Returns

Teach
02-09-2017, 10:40 AM
Political parties. The Cabinet. Congressional committees. These are but a few of the several examples of the unwritten constitution.

“The unwritten constitution (I’m quoting from a Google article) are those processes of our government that are considered an essential part of the system yet they are not actually in the Constitution. These are customs and precedents that have been doing for so long that many citizens think these are, in fact, laws yet they are not.”

I believe that we should add another political practice to the unwritten constitution: presidential release of his/her tax returns. It’s certainly been the past practice of all modern-day presidents to release their tax returns for public perusal.

Approximately 500,000 people have signed a petition requesting that POTUS release his returns. This is not something I would like to look at because somehow in doing so it would have me frothing at the mouth like some Pavlovian dog. Nor would I like to scrutinize POTUS’s tax returns because I would somehow find in doing so it would be equivalent to a lewd, lascivious, and salacious novel that “appeals to the prurient interest.” No, a thousand times no. I would want to know if any of the actions taken by POTUS, either in foreign affairs or domestically, somehow have a relationship to his vast holdings.

Yes, POTUS has vast holdings and investments here in America and throughout the world. There shouldn’t be even the hint of the possibility of a “conflict of interest”. Why were certain countries put on a travel-ban list, while others are not (Egypt and Saudi Arabia were the principal countries involved the dastardly and cowardly attack on the Twin Towers of The World Trade Center). Please don’t tell me that POTUS was using President Obama’s original list; political circumstances, i.e. control of Congress, were quite a bit different, then.

Moreover, the entire situation could be easily rectified by putting assets in a “blind trust”.

I realize that there no law that requires POTUS to release his returns, yet precedent and past practice do have standing in courts of law.

Maybe it will take a Constitutional Amendment – such as the XXII – that limited the President of the United States to two terms in office (formerly a part of the “unwritten constitution”). Yet, in the interim, POTUS should make public his returns. The American people, his constituents, need and deserve to know. Their lives and the lives of their sons and daughters depend on it! The information contained in those tax returns is too important to remain a mystery.

Tom
02-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Why were certain countries put on a travel-ban list, while others are not

Ask Obama.
It was his list of the top threats.

And Trump DID release his tax returns.
To the IRS, the only agency qualified to judge them.

Guess what?
They accepted them.

Got any thought on magnets?

Clocker
02-09-2017, 11:18 AM
The American people, his constituents, need and deserve to know. Their lives and the lives of their sons and daughters depend on it! The information contained in those tax returns is too important to remain a mystery.

I love it. Liberals think that average Americans are too stupid to make their own decisions about health insurance, or even about what kind of light bulb to use, but need to see, and could fully understand, Trump's tax returns.

The claim that the lives of future generations depend on seeing those returns is mind-numbingly inane. I can't imagine how even the most twisted of lib logic could reach that conclusion. Please tell us. Inquiring minds want to know.

RunForTheRoses
02-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Lets stop this bullshit talking point.

http://www.dw.com/en/saudi-princess-says-new-travel-rules-not-ban-on-muslims/av-37464990

Saudi Princess Basmah bint Saud has defended the choice of countries listed in US President Donald Trump's travel restrictions. In an exclusive interview with DW's Brent Goff she said that the idea of a ban on Muslims was "more media than it is fact."

AndyC
02-09-2017, 11:45 AM
...Moreover, the entire situation could be easily rectified by putting assets in a “blind trust”.....

Blind trusts are great for stock portfolios or passive investments. Putting a real estate development business in a blind trust would be ridiculous.

LottaKash
02-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Political Their lives and the lives of their sons and daughters depend on it! The information contained in those tax returns is too important to remain a mystery.

Wow !... Really ?.Our lives depend on it ?..... :D :D :D

xtb
02-09-2017, 11:59 AM
I would like to add original birth certificates (not a "certificate of live birth"), college transcripts and college theses to your list.

Tom
02-09-2017, 12:28 PM
New word? "taxers?"

Seriously, what do the "taxers" thing they will find in his returns that is so important?

One of you taxers, give a us real example of something important you think is in there?

Secondly, those of you screaming to see the returns, have you ever filed a return of your own? Do you have a clue what is in a tax form :lol:

Jess Hawsen Arown
02-09-2017, 12:32 PM
I would like to add original birth certificates (not a "certificate of live birth"), college transcripts and college theses to your list.

Yes, the White House version of the Obama birth certificate was proven to be a forgery since the technology used to create the certificate was not created for decades after he was born.

This was news for almost a week before the liberal media decided it was not a story worth pursuing.

HalvOnHorseracing
02-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Yes, the White House version of the Obama birth certificate was proven to be a forgery since the technology used to create the certificate was not created for decades after he was born.

This was news for almost a week before the liberal media decided it was not a story worth pursuing.
You post insane stuff like that and you run the risk of never being taken seriously.

xtb
02-09-2017, 02:06 PM
You post insane stuff like that and you run the risk of never being taken seriously.

Ah yes, a fan of Saul Alinsky.

Clocker
02-09-2017, 02:38 PM
An unwritten constitution isn't worth the paper it is printed on. :cool:

anotherCAfan
02-09-2017, 03:54 PM
The information contained in those tax returns is too important to remain a mystery.
The average American clamoring for the President's tax returns likely cannot demonstrate an understanding of individual taxation (for example, by becoming a CPA, an EA, volunteering with VITA, taking taxation classes at university), and (in my opinion) ought not be concerned with his tax returns.

In my humble opinion, it's not our business
The tax code is something liberals and conservatives use to pay the least amount of tax lawfully.

chadk66
02-09-2017, 04:31 PM
only the most inept leftwinger would think that those tax returns mean a damn thing to anybody:lol:

HalvOnHorseracing
02-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Ah yes, a fan of Saul Alinsky.
I wouldn't know Saul Alinsky from Bo Belinsky. But I know I nutbag when I read one.

boxcar
02-09-2017, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Save that kind of extreme hyper hyperbole for when the carbon tax debate rolls around. :D

Clocker
02-09-2017, 06:13 PM

The sky is falling, the sky is falling! :eek: