PDA

View Full Version : paceadvantage.com is Slow

JJMartin
02-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Is it just me or is the site slow and goes down a lot?

barahona44
02-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Sounds like you're describing a senior citizien hooker. :)

boxcar
02-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Nope, it's slow.

JJMartin
02-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Nope, it's slow.
Ok, that's what I thought. And I don't mean any disrespect to the site with this post. It is a great place.

FantasticDan
02-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. And I don't mean any disrespect to the site with this post. It is a great place.
The site owner has acknowledged several times that the forum software and/or server is in serious need of repair/upgrade.

I believe at one point he said he's been avoiding it because he feared he'd lose everything in the process, and the last 15 years of Tom's life would be rendered moot :cool:

Tom
02-08-2017, 03:08 PM
The fact is, my first volume of work was lost when the original site went down.

What you see here is only the latest stuff....most of the 2000 election campaign and earlier was lost. :eek::D

Some really great food fights......gone.:(

Actor
02-08-2017, 03:31 PM
The site owner has acknowledged several times that the forum software and/or server is in serious need of repair/upgrade.

I believe at one point he said he's been avoiding it because he feared he'd lose everything in the process, ...Surely Vbulletin could provide some way to back it up.

If the problem is funding I'd be willing to chip in $10. Maybe more.

boxcar
02-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Surely Vbulletin could provide some way to back it up.

Hear! Hear! I'll up that to $5. more. Do I hear an offer for $20.?

davew
02-08-2017, 04:25 PM
I do not think it can handle 1000 viewers, and it seems about 800 bots are always crawling around.

thaskalos
02-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Surely Vbulletin could provide some way to back it up.

I would be willing to pay a $99 yearly fee for the privilege of participating in the discussions of this site. Just the religious education that I've gotten from Boxcar alone is easily worth that price. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
02-08-2017, 05:17 PM
I would be willing to pay a $99 yearly fee for the privilege of participating in the discussions of this site. Just the religious education that I've gotten from Boxcar alone is easily worth that price. :ThmbUp:

Kool! I'm very happy that I was able to contribute to your ongoing education! But it wasn't all just one-way. I learned a lot about the self-defeating nature of arguments from silence...thanks to you. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
02-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Kool! I'm very happy that I was able to contribute to your ongoing education! But it wasn't all just one-way. I learned a lot about the self-defeating nature of arguments from silence...thanks to you. :ThmbUp:

Glad to be of service. :ThmbUp:

In any case...I would be more than willing to make a monetary contribution in order to speed things up around here.

TJDave
02-08-2017, 06:03 PM
I learned a lot about the self-defeating nature of arguments from silence. :ThmbUp:

I would pay $99 for your silence.

thaskalos
02-08-2017, 06:07 PM
I would pay $99 for your silence.

Your wit is unmatched, sir. :D :ThmbUp:

barn32
02-08-2017, 06:11 PM
You'll have to wait until next Tuesday. That's when Mike usually drives by.

JustRalph
02-08-2017, 06:22 PM
I tried to get him to make it subscription based years back.......he wouldn't do it

It's almost unusable at night now

Jess Hawsen Arown
02-08-2017, 06:25 PM

I have had similar experiences.

FantasticDan
02-08-2017, 06:34 PM
I tried to get him to make it subscription based years back.......he wouldn't do it
I saw an old post about that. He said he thought the forum would end almost immediately if he started charging a fee :p

barn32
02-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Why would I pay a fee to see what you orange-haired looney whackos and left-wing pinko commies have to say?

Get real. It's bad enough some times for free.

ReplayRandall
02-08-2017, 06:42 PM
I saw an old post about that. He said he thought the forum would end almost immediately if he started charging a fee :p
Convert the Vcash account to a real account, and make posters put $5.00 units in at a time. Each post costs a dime, making 50 posts a month for the $5 bucks. You want to post more, you pay more......

EMD4ME
02-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Convert the Vcash account to a real account, and make posters put $5.00 units in at a time. Each post costs a dime, making 50 posts a month for the $5 bucks. You want to post more, you pay more......

I'd be in debt :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplayRandall
02-08-2017, 06:52 PM
I'd be in debt :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anyone can pay that hefty toll, it's YOOOOOUUUUU.....

JustRalph
02-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Why would I pay a fee to see what you orange-haired looney whackos and left-wing pinko commies have to say?

Now, you're starting to understand

thaskalos
02-08-2017, 07:05 PM

Then we would have to pass around the hat to collect money for Tom...so he could keep posting.

fast4522
02-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Me thinks things work just fine, but does raise the question id anybody here has spent a dime to buy anything that is part of the java advertisements we see.

EMD4ME
02-08-2017, 07:12 PM
If anyone can pay that hefty toll, it's YOOOOOUUUUU.....

AND SRUUUUUUUUUU :lol: :lol: :lol:

thaskalos
02-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Me thinks things work just fine, but does raise the question id anybody here has spent a dime to buy anything that is part of the java advertisements we see.

I've tried to patronize the businesses that I see advertising here...but the site with the cute Asian girls keeps rejecting me after viewing my picture.

VigorsTheGrey
02-08-2017, 07:37 PM

Hey what's wrong with orange and pink....but I admit somebody please give that monkey a banana....:D

No, really anyone who has THAT avatar is OK by me...

TJDave
02-08-2017, 07:55 PM
I've tried to patronize the businesses that I see advertising here...but the site with the cute Asian girls keeps rejecting me after viewing my picture.

I'm guessing it's the funny hat...

Or the moustache wax. ;)

fast4522
02-08-2017, 08:05 PM

Do not feel bad, I hear some guy named Weiner from NY is having trouble at all the sites.

maddog42
02-08-2017, 08:17 PM

Mike is right. I enjoy this site, but I wouldn't pay for the privelege.

ReplayRandall
02-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Mike is right. I enjoy this site, but I wouldn't pay for the privelege.
That's what I figured a cheapskate would say......Got it hand to you, you're consistently on the wrong side of every subject.

chadk66
02-08-2017, 08:39 PM
it's nearly unfunctional for me today. :ThmbDown:

VigorsTheGrey
02-08-2017, 08:50 PM

Being well dressed might help....;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBxQsgr6PI

Or maybe a little musical talent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lClaQLsBb-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRrBuklzAL8

magwell
02-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Dime a post ? I'm in for sure......:)

barahona44
02-09-2017, 12:45 AM
Dime a post ? I'm in for sure......:)
Except then every post would be the rather long parables that Teach writes on a daily basis.
People getting value for their dime-a-dance-romance.

Zaf
02-09-2017, 01:03 AM
???? I have been here since 2002 and have rarely had any issues with this site. 99% of the time it responds lightening fast.

Z

PaceAdvantage
02-11-2017, 12:51 PM
it's nearly unfunctional for me today. :ThmbDown:Really? Usually, when it craps out, it's for 20-30 minutes and usually only around 1:30am and 7:30am (eastern times).

It does happen at other times lately, and I'm not going to sit here and try and defend the indefensible. There are problems and I will test something out this weekend to see if I can make things better.

I truly apologize for the site performance lately. It is unacceptable and something that needs to be addressed ASAP...

PaceAdvantage
02-13-2017, 05:27 PM
I've begun the process of testing/upgrading. You might see this board down for an hour or two at a time starting around midnight the next couple of days while I work stuff out.

Trying to do this while the board is most active is pointless, as that in and of itself can cause it to crash (as it just did around 4:45pm) if I keep the board open. I need to close the board entirely to tinker around.

In any event, at least you know I've begun the process...

VigorsTheGrey
02-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Do you think the slowness might be tested on a thread by thread basis....?
Do you think the slowness may originate from posters' computers contaminating PA website unknowingly...or are the issues totally on the PA side of things...

barahona44
02-13-2017, 09:37 PM
Do you think the slowness may originate from posters' computers contaminating PA website unknowingly...or are the issues totally on the PA side of things...
Some of the posters POSTS may be contaminating the site. :)

PaceAdvantage
02-13-2017, 11:50 PM
Do you think the slowness may originate from posters' computers contaminating PA website unknowingly...or are the issues totally on the PA side of things...There is no contamination...just outdated (non-optimized) message board software running on more modern version database backend (MySQL) and modern versions of scripting language (PHP)...

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2017, 03:29 AM
Update: I was able to backup the database and bring it into a new, test environment where I was able to restore the backup to a separate database (vital to make sure I can test without the possibility of screwing up the current, working database). This separate database was then run with an updated (but still kind of old) version of vBulletin (version 3.6). All basic functionality was AOK, however, my style sheets needs some work (the look of the board). This might take some time to perfect.

I also might have some problems with my home page in the upgrade, so this isn't something that is going to go live in a matter of days...probably a matter of weeks.

But, progress has been made. And I have a good feeling that in the end, all of the problems we've been experiencing will be fixed.

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Update: Well, that was a fun 3 hours+ of downtime that I totally didn't expect... :eek: :mad:

Anyhoo, things appear back to normal for now... :lol:

I promise you guys, it will be a whole new board...hopefully free of downtime...coming soon!

And for those who browse PA on a mobile device, it should be MUCH more user friendly as well...I'm actually getting quite excited about the update. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
02-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Not a bad idea, actually. PA should start with the Religious thread. That thread could be a wee bit top heavy. :D

tucker6
02-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Mike, I think I speak for many when I say Thank You for all that you do to bring the horse racing community together. You don't get enough pats on the back. Well, at least this site is making you rich though. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Thanks...glad you tacked the " :lol: " at the end...I thought you were serious there for a minute... :lol: :lol: (about the "rich" part)

Robert Fischer
02-14-2017, 10:29 AM
seems to be a consensus

Personally - have not had any issues whatsoever.

johnhannibalsmith
02-14-2017, 10:31 AM
I hope the new vBulletin software has a different code for embedding Youtube videos and everyone has to spend the decade figuring this one out. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2017, 10:35 AM
seems to be a consensus

Personally - have not had any issues whatsoever.If you were on between 6am and 930am today, you couldn't post and you couldn't read any threads where there was an attachment...other than that, it was working fine... :lol:

upthecreek
02-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Update: Well, that was a fun 3 hours+ of downtime that I totally didn't expect... :eek: :mad:

I promise you guys, it will be a whole new board...hopefully free of downtime...coming soon!

And for those who browse PA on a mobile device, it should be MUCH more user friendly as well...I'm actually getting quite excited about the update. :ThmbUp:
Make America and PA Great Again! :ThmbUp:

NorCalGreg
02-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Make America and PA Great Again! :ThmbUp:

I was trying to get on here at that time...I kept thinking "If I just click it again--it may work this time" :D

at least you made up an error message

barn32
02-14-2017, 11:08 AM

And for those who browse PA on a mobile device, it should be MUCH more user friendly as well...I'm actually getting quite excited about the update. :ThmbUp:Just curious. At the bottom of the page I see it is still the same version of vBulletin 3.0.5. Are you updating vBulletin or are you updating within the current version of vBulletin?

Will the new update allow things like multi-quoting and intelligent image sizing?

Also, inserting a hyperlink doesn't work properly for me anymore.

FantasticDan
02-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Will the new update allow things like multi-quoting and intelligent image sizing?
And tweet embedding? VERY important nowadays. :cool:

tucker6
02-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Just curious. At the bottom of the page I see it is still the same version of vBulletin 3.0.5. Are you updating vBulletin or are you updating within the current version of vBulletin?

I gather that he had to take the board down overnight to transfer the data from this current version into the new test version. So this is the same ole board until "weeks from now" as he put it.

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Just curious. At the bottom of the page I see it is still the same version of vBulletin 3.0.5. Are you updating vBulletin or are you updating within the current version of vBulletin?

Also, inserting a hyperlink doesn't work properly for me anymore.There has been no update yet on the live site. I am working on a separate, private test site for now.

When it goes live, you'll know... :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2017, 11:19 AM
I gather that he had to take the board down to transfer the data from this current version into the new version. So this is the same ole board until "weeks from now" as he put it.Well, probably not weeks from now. I'm actually getting into this...and when I get into something, there are usually a few "all nighters" pulled with the intent of finishing it ASAP...

johnhannibalsmith
02-14-2017, 11:26 AM
...and when I get into something, there are usually a few "all nighters" pulled with the intent of finishing it ASAP...

Oh, brother. I feel for you. We also are known to procrastinate. Because we know we just can't stop and say that's enough for now when we can go no farther. It's either done or it is not done and not done will not do. :lol: :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Yup, that's me...put it off forever...but once I start, I can't stop...the only thing that can get in the way is personal commitments, and I have more of those these days...

JustRalph
02-14-2017, 12:43 PM
And tweet embedding? VERY important nowadays. :cool:

This would transform the board. I'm for it, but maybe not for long... :lol:

chadk66
02-14-2017, 01:46 PM
working great today:ThmbUp: