PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Sunday, February 5

Teach
02-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Race One:

As the gumshoe on the “bunco squad” said to his boss, “It looks like an inside job.” :2: WAR AT SUNSHINE gets my nod. The gelding’s trainer, Mario Serey, Jr., conditioned a winner yesterday. Same MO: Coming back on short rest. Before you concur and say: “fo shizzle,” this 4 year-old chestnut has had eight tries out of the “United Puett” and has yet to "take a selfie” (as have all the others in this maiden route). This 4 year-old chestnut gelding drops out of the MSW ranks and is back “in for a tag”. The gelding’s jock, Luis Ocasio, a Canovanas, Puerto Rico native, is one of three Eclipse Award apprentice finalists. Others: :4: , :3: , :1:

Race Two:

“I’ve got a ‘golden rail’; I’ve got a golden twinkle in my eye.” Well, I changed (poetic license) one word in this “Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory” song, but I believe you get the picture. Track bias? You bet your dupa! The inside has been the place to be on the racetrack and until I see differently… My choice, as you may have surmised, is: :1: GUAYANA. This 7 year-old bay mare was recently claimed out of the Gary Contessa barn by Bruce Levine. This distaffer has faced better; yet, quite candidly, she’s shown little in recent tries. However, one thing stands out like a sore thumb: At the route distance this mare has won 5 out of 9 times. It wouldn’t take Albert Einstein to figure out that’s over 50%. Add to the equation (I taught math) the riding skills of “The King of Philadelphia,” Kendrick Carmouche. Carmouche has been as hot as a bottle Cajun Garlic Sauce. Others: :4: , :6: , :5:

Race Three:

In this six-panels state-bred sprint my choice is :2: CHAMPAGNE RUBY. Yes, this Forty Niner-bred chestnut mare has been “on vacation” for the last several months - that is a concern. Yet this mare took a hiatus last spring-summer and came back to win at first asking. This distaffer’s trainer, Danny Gargan, for Midwest Thoroughbreds, has been on a tear. Gargan does particularly well in the second-off-a-claim category. He also has a good record with horses who have been on the shelf. The mare’s jock, Kendrick Carmouche, is a man on a mission. The man from Zydeco Country (take out your rub board) has been as a sharp as alligator’s teeth in Jean Lafitte National Park. Others: :3: , :4: , :7:

Race Four:

“The In-Laws,” (not to be confused with a Michal Douglas-starring film of the same name), Jose Ortiz and Linda Rice, are the “best-supporting” connections behind my choice, :5: TRANSPARENT. This once, highly-priced 7 year-old gelding is doing the “claiming-tag limbo” (How low can you go!). Even the conservative DRF is calling the drop: “Suspicious”. Well, as my dad used to say: “Don’t look a gift horse in the face.” (If, indeed, this is a “gift horse”). Top-notch jock. Top-notch trainer. A gelding who’s dropping to the lowest level in his career (Only last May, this gelding ran in the Grade III Pimlico Special). The gelding has hit the tote in 5 out of 6 tries at the distance. A solid, recent morning work. Linda Rice is at 40% trainer when entering horses going down 2+ classes. As George Gershwin might have said: “Who Can Ask For Anything More?” Others: :1a: , :3: , :6:

Race Five:

:5: SAL THE TURTLE is anything but slow. This Caleb’s Posse-bred bay colt has won two out of three lifetime starts. His trainer, Michelle Nevin, is having an excellent “Big A” meet. Nevin does particularly well with horses entered in sprints. As far as this colt is concerned, in addition to his two pari-mutuel wins, he was second (bumped) in the non-graded state-bred 100k Notebook Stakes. The most capable Rajiv Maragh is in the irons. Others: :6: , :4: , :2:

Race Six:

In this MSW route I’m going with the outside horse, :7: MIGGSY. This chestnut colt has the kind of breeding that says: “I can go longer.” Heretofore, this Hard Spun-bred 3 year-old has been running in sprints (He was second in his last against similar). I believe the stretch-out will do this colt a world of good. One caveat: the most capable Irad Ortiz, Jr. must get this colt in the game early from his outside starting post as that first “Big A” turn comes up very quickly. The Senor from Mexico, Rudy Rodriguez (Entrenador de caballos) – is having an excellent meet. Others: :6: , :4: , :2:

Race Seven:

The “Irad and Rudy” Show will come out for an encore as they once again combine their equine-conditioning skills and chauffeuring services with my pick, :4: BIG SMILE. This Montbrook-bred filly has, of late, been the model of consistency, a second and two firsts on the Aqueduct oval. In fact, if there are horses for racetracks (and I believe there are) then this filly fits the bill. She’s hit the tote in four out of 4 tries at “The Big A”. The filly’s trainer, Rudy Rodriguez, does particularly well in the “beaten favorite” and “2nd after a claim” categories. This filly should be in a good stalking position that will allow her to mount a closing stretch drive. Others: :3: , :5: , :6:

Race Eight:

In the Biogio’s Rose, a non-graded New York state-bred 100k stakes at one mile and “a teenth,” my choice is: :3: ISABELLE. This 6 year-old Successful Appeal-bred mare is conditioned by the Hall-of-Fame trainer, Bill Mott. Mott does particularly well with horses who are entered in non-graded stakes and also winners of their last. “The Louisiana Kid,” Kendrick Carmouche, reprises the ride. As for Isabelle, she’s a Valid Appeal-bred who would relish a little moisture and/or thawing on the racetrack (Temps are expected to reach the low 40s). This mare should be out and going when the gates open. She’ll likely be playing catch me if you can. It will be imperative for Carmouche to ration out this mare’s speed. Others: :4: , :2: , :5:

Race Nine:

In the finale, a 16k n2L claiming sprint, my pick is the rail horse: :1: KATIE ICE. If the rail is still the place to be, this chestnut filly will benefit. Jockey Antonio Gallardo should have this filly out and going and skimming the rail. It should be noted that this Bruce Brown-trained 4 year-old broke her maiden in her last race against better on New Year’s Day. That does move her up against winners. Yet, the caliber of the field she faces today is easily within her reach. If everything goes smoothly, she can make it two in a row? Others: :4: , :10: , :5: