PDA

View Full Version : Best Rivalries Ever

sq764
07-25-2004, 11:05 AM
The Sox/Yanks series makes me think of the best rivalries ever.. (I am 31, so my sportsviewing days only go back to about 1980. Anything before that would have to be 'other')

cj
07-25-2004, 11:53 AM
I would think the old baseball rivalry of the 50s, Dodgers Yankees, was the tops. Of course, I wasn't around to see it, so I can't really say for sure.

Top right now in other sports:
College B-ball Duke Maryland
Hockey Avalanche Red Wings
College Football Ohio St Michigan

As for the NBA in the 80s, the Celtics Lakers was a much bigger rivalry than the Lakers Pistons.

By the way, I could never vote for Sox/Yankees as a rivalry. In rivalries, both teams win sometimes. Its not a rivalry when it is totally lopsided.

blind squirrel
07-25-2004, 11:59 AM
if the SOX AND YANKEES are a rivalry so was GERMANY and
POLAND.

headhawg
07-25-2004, 12:18 PM
One of the oldest and most heated rivalries:

Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears

They don't like each other much, and I know that Bears fans consider it a winning season if they beat the Packers twice -- even if they go 2 -14!!

Go Bears -- training camp begins Tuesday.

sq764
07-25-2004, 12:20 PM
You guys are being ridiculous..

When was the last time Stanford or Cal won an NCAA championship?

Or Texas A&M or Texas?

cj
07-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Umm..who mentioned Stanford - Cal or Texas - Texas A+M.

The Os - Yankees is a better rivalry. At least we have beaten them when it counts a few times and have a few rings to back it up.

I know you are a Sox fan, but they are the Yankees door mat, whipping boy, bitch, whatever you want to call it, just not a rival.

sq764
07-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah, it sure looked that way last night :-)

I think A-Hole-Rod is Varitek's bitch..

If you're going to charge the mound and talk trash, learn how to fight like a man.

He actually might be a bigger pu$$y than Piazza

bettheoverlay
07-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Cardinals - Cubs

Suff
07-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Umm..who mentioned Stanford - Cal or Texas - Texas A+M.

The Os - Yankees is a better rivalry. At least we have beaten them when it counts a few times and have a few rings to back it up.

I know you are a Sox fan, but they are the Yankees door mat, whipping boy, bitch, whatever you want to call it, just not a rival.

um... we have 5 world series titles? I think that ranks us 7th all time in total WS's & we hosted and won the very first world series...and we won 5 additional world series when we played as the Boston Pilgrims.,....and ,... before this wild card change the AL Title was "pennants"....and we've won a number of those in recent memory...INCLUDING beating the yankees to achieve them..

Suff
07-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
, just not a rival.

btw... in the ESPN Poll asking about "geatest Rivalry... Yanks -Sox blows the competition away..

With 212,000 votes... 87,000 voted for that match-up. It's far and away "percieved" to be the best.

Your "spidey-sense" is off

Dan Montilion
07-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Frazier/Ali
Coke/Pepsi
Spasky/Fisher
Chiefs/Raiders
Broncos/Raiders
NFL/Raiders
Al Davis/Pete Rozell
LBJ/Kennedy clan
Affirmed/Alydar
Call her next morning/Don't call her next morning
Me/Voices in my head

Dan Montilion

Binder
07-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Dodgers - Giants

A real rivalry Although the Dodgers have the upper hand
in world series, Like the Yanks over the Sox
At least the Giants can say they actually have beaten the Dodgers and knocked then out of a few pennants

From the outside. IM a SF Giant fan in Yankee land
The Red Sox - Yankees seems strange
The Yanks Win and The Red Sox don't

CryingForTheHorses
07-25-2004, 05:13 PM
NO WAY Guys!
Im a CANADIAN BOY and TORONTO is my hometown
HOCKEY has had the GREATEST rivalies of ALL time. Nothing like watching Toronto and Montreal sitting in that old farmhouse in NASHVILLE Ontario where all we had was a stupid antenna that was hardly any good, We would watch that game on a tv that was fuzzier then you after 6 beers. I remember my dad sitting in his chair kicking out pucks as they blasted the Maple Buds.The fights,the intense playing the cold winter nites make it that I NEVER want to see aother cold winter.TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
FOREVER

cj
07-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Suff
um... we have 5 world series titles?

Please, when was the last one? Most...make that all...of those were won when there were like 6 teams in the league and the players wore socks for gloves. I've heard of reaches, but this is a real Stretch Armstrong.

cj
07-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Suff
btw... in the ESPN Poll asking about "geatest Rivalry... Yanks -Sox blows the competition away..

With 212,000 votes... 87,000 voted for that match-up. It's far and away "percieved" to be the best.

Your "spidey-sense" is off

That's because nothing but a bunch of homers are voting!

ceejay
07-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Islanders/Rangers.

Isles fans even cheer "The Ranger$ Suck" when they are not playing!

sq764
07-25-2004, 09:18 PM
CJ, when is the last time the Orioles won a world series? 21 years ago?

And Orioles/Yanks are a bigger rivalry?

Your hatred for the Sox is clouding your judgement again..

Tee
07-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Where I'm from,

The Border War

Is a pretty big rivalry.:)

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by sq764
Yeah, it sure looked that way last night :-)

I think A-Hole-Rod is Varitek's bitch..

If you're going to charge the mound and talk trash, learn how to fight like a man.

He actually might be a bigger pu$$y than Piazza

He charged the mound? Was I watching the same game?

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2004, 02:55 AM
Once again, to be a rivalry, one team actually has to beat the other at least ONCE when it counts....

I don't remember the Red Sox ever beating the Yankees when it counts the most, do you?

How is that a rivalry?

Lance
07-26-2004, 02:57 AM
Army-Navy

cj
07-26-2004, 06:40 AM
CJ, when is the last time the Orioles won a world series? 21 years ago?

And Orioles/Yanks are a bigger rivalry?

Your hatred for the Sox is clouding your judgement again..

Yes, 21 years ago. I'm sure you remember, they beat the Phillies, who haven't won it in 24 years. I would figure out how long its been since Boston won, but my calculus is a little rusty. I'll write a litte Perl script to figure it out for me tonight!

The Orioles were the best, most consistent team in baseball from the mid 60s to the mid 80s. The Red Sox have never had a span like that. There was no wild card then either. If there was, at least a few more Series titles would have come their way. At least once, maybe twice, they won 100 games and didn't make the playoffs.

sq764
07-26-2004, 09:16 AM
All I can say is that with the Yankees pitching, they have no chance in hell at winning the world series.. My God do they have an awful staff..

When your savior Rivera blows one, that has got to hurt.

And Contreras...wow.. Please pitch him every game against the Sox..

How are Brown and Mussina doing? Oh wait, those old timers are hurt again? What a shocker..

sq764
07-26-2004, 09:18 AM
No PA, he did an ever Pu$$ier move, he stood there and cussed at the pitcher, waiting for all his teammates to come to his rescue. Too much of a coward to go out to the mound.

You either charge the mound and fight the guy that hit you or you walk to first base, simple as that. You don't walk and cuss like a moron, then get the crap beat out of you and look like an ass..

If you, as a Yankee fan, are proud of the way he handled that, I feel sorry for you.

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Boston is a punk ass team, plain and simple. If they have to start brawls to win games, well then, more power to them....

7.5 and counting.

BTW, in my mind, a guy who starts a fight with all his equipment on is the much bigger puss.

sq764
07-26-2004, 09:56 AM
I didn't recall a brawl last night and they kinda spanked the Yankees around Fenway..

7.5 and counting? Wasn't it just 9.5?? Do you mean counting down?

And lastly, if Rodriguez walks to first like a man, no fight starts..

Again, hypocritical.. In one breath you agree that players are such pansies anymore when they get hit, in the next breath you are defending Rodriguez's idiotic move after he gets hit..

Be consistent man..

cj
07-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Boston is a punk ass team, plain and simple. If they have to start brawls to win games, well then, more power to them....

7.5 and counting.

BTW, in my mind, a guy who starts a fight with all his equipment on is the much bigger puss.

Hey,

At least he's not a big a puss as Ortiz throwing bats at umpires from the dugout. Funny that SQ, who hates Bonds so much for being a jerk, didn't mention that episode. Guess it slipped under his Philly...errr...Sox...err...whoever it is this week...radar.

sq764
07-26-2004, 01:49 PM
It's sad when even the New York papers are writing how classless and childish of an act it was for Rodriguez to do that..

You got your own writers turning against you.

sq764
07-26-2004, 01:52 PM
CJ, when have I ever mentioned a team other than the Phillies and Sox?

Do you even have a team you root for or is your favorite team the one that beats the Sox or the one that I don't like?

Valuist
07-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Somebody beat me to this but I'll repeat the two:

Bears/Packers
Cubs/Cardinals

CFB: 1)Ohio State/Michigan 2)Auburn/Alabama

to me, rivalries are bigger in college football than basketball. And NBA?? Please. There hasn't been any NBA rivalry since Magic and Bird played.

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2004, 02:31 PM
And lastly, if Rodriguez walks to first like a man, no fight starts..

Again, hypocritical.. In one breath you agree that players are such pansies anymore when they get hit, in the next breath you are defending Rodriguez's idiotic move after he gets hit..

I guess I was watching the wrong game. I was under the mistaken belief that A-Rod was walking to first base.

In fact, A-Rod was such a threatening presence to Arroyo that Varitek was on the DUGOUT side of the first base line, NOT between A-Rod and Arroyo, "protecting" his pitcher......whatever......

sq764
07-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Hmm, the way it was described was A-hole was walking towards first cussing at Arroyo and Varitek told him just to go to first. Then A-hole said "Come on" to Varitek.. and he did..

Take first and shut the hell up.. be a man.

cj
07-26-2004, 03:59 PM
CJ, when have I ever mentioned a team other than the Phillies and Sox?

Do you even have a team you root for or is your favorite team the one that beats the Sox or the one that I don't like?

It is, and always will be, the Orioles. I don't have a "fallback" team. Like I said, I don't dislike the Red Sox, just feel sorry for their fans.

sq764
07-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Well, being an Orioles fan, I can see why you would live vicariously through the Yankees.

It makes sense now.

cj
07-26-2004, 04:15 PM
I loath the Yankees, Mike Mussina excepted. I'm just not biased by blind loyalty to my team.

I wouldn't trade being an Orioles fan for being a Red Sox fan in my lifetime. Of course, only a fool would. The records speak for themselves.

If it wasn't for the new wild card, Boston would never make the post season.

cj
07-26-2004, 04:20 PM
A few individual rivalries?

Jack and Arnie...now that was a rivalry.

Ali Frazier goes without saying. Leonard Duran was pretty good.

McEnroe Borg was fantastic. Sampras Aggasi not on that level. On the women's side, Navratilova Everett was heated.

sq764
07-26-2004, 04:23 PM
You don't 'trade' being a fan, pending the team's success or failure.. You back a team because you like them..

I don't understand what not making the postseason has anything to do with them being a team you like.. The Orioles likely won't make the postseason for another 10-15 years, but you will still like them for the next 10-15 years, right??

Shit, I was brought up being a Phillies fan and got to see them win the world series when I was 7, lose one at 10, then only get into 1 for the next 21 years.. But I still enjoy every single win they get and even enjoy them when they have an awful season.

I liked the Sox starting in the Clemens/Mike Greenwell era, around 86 or 87.. It's been tough to watch them fall short so many times, but they are a joy to watch. The series over this weekend was fantastic.. And even though they lost in the playoffs last year, it was one of the most unbelievable series I have seen.

It's fun to watch the Sox/Yankees because you know everyone is going to play hard, there is tremendous intensity and there is so much talent on the field when they play. That's all you can ask for..

cj
07-26-2004, 04:30 PM
True fans back ONE team, that's all I'm saying. For a Red Sox (or Phillies) fan to knock the Os is crazy. They've accomplished way more than those teams put together in my lifetime. It won't be 15 years before they reach the post season again, of that I am sure.

For the record, Os, Terps, Ravens, period. I don't give a crap about anyone else. I'm a sports fan, but outside those teams, I don't really care who wins. Don't be a hater, Philly will win something someday. (Then maybe they can stop idolizing Rocky and Bobby Clark, and stop egging Mitch Williams' house in South Jersey!)

sq764
07-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Oh, I didn't have the latest version of the fan rulebook; or I missed the section about only being allowed to like one team.

Point noted, and a sincere thanks to you CJ!

sq764
07-26-2004, 04:47 PM
CJ, you're an Oriole fan and you say this "Philly will win something someday"???

Um, you do realize in the past 25 years, the Phillies and Orioles both have only 1 chapionship, right?

Did I miss something?

cj
07-26-2004, 04:52 PM
I meant Philly in general. You know, Eagles, Sixers, Flyers included. Hell, Baltimore has had 2 teams win Super Bowls since the Eagles last one, and a CFL and USFL championship to boot. Lot of pent up frustration in Philly, you have to admit that. You can only live off of coked up Villanova winning for so long.

Head to head, Os are 1 up! :)

cj
07-26-2004, 04:54 PM
CJ, you're an Oriole fan and you say this "Philly will win something someday"???

Um, you do realize in the past 25 years, the Phillies and Orioles both have only 1 chapionship, right?

Did I miss something?

In the last 21, its 1-0. I'll give you this, Philly has a shot this year. But then again, they'll remember they are Philly, so maybe not.

sq764
07-26-2004, 04:56 PM
I hate basketball and what is hockey??

Eagles are becoming an annoyance with losing in the NFC Championship year after year.. I almost wait to start watching them ultil the NFC Champ game..

(We can't help that the Orioles weren't in it the year we won, so 1-0 heads up isn't very telling)

cj
07-26-2004, 05:01 PM

(We can't help that the Orioles weren't in it the year we won, so 1-0 heads up isn't very telling)

1980 Baltimore Orioles American League 100 62
1980 Philadelphia Phillies National League 91 71 .562

The Orioles were a much better team than the Phillies that year. Sometimes, you just don't get the breaks.

Valuist
07-26-2004, 05:02 PM
We're all forgetting 2 obvious rivalries:

Affirmed/Alydar and Sunday Silence/Easy Goer

sq764
07-26-2004, 05:14 PM
CJ, or maybe the AL was weaker (hence the NL world series victory)

cj
07-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
We're all forgetting 2 obvious rivalries:

Affirmed/Alydar and Sunday Silence/Easy Goer

You can't count Affirmed / Alydar, it was almost as one sided as the Yankees - Sox.

Valuist
07-26-2004, 05:54 PM
True.

So was Sunday Silence/Easy Goer (I can hear the East Coasters saying "ouch" on that one).

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm an East Coaster and I loved Sunday Silence!! LOL

BetHorses!
07-26-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Dan Montilion
Frazier/Ali
Coke/Pepsi
Spasky/Fisher
Chiefs/Raiders
Broncos/Raiders
NFL/Raiders
Al Davis/Pete Rozell
LBJ/Kennedy clan
Affirmed/Alydar
Call her next morning/Don't call her next morning
Me/Voices in my head

Dan Montilion

Dan you forgot -- Tastes Great/Less Filling

Borg/McEnroe -- CJ good call great rivalry

sq764
07-26-2004, 10:49 PM
WHat about Mcenroe/Connors??

I remember the US Open way way back when those 2 battled and Connors was just amazing to watch..

Tom
07-31-2004, 11:59 AM
After thinking about this for a while, I have to say the Boston/NY rivalry is the greatest in history. And while I do enjoy both sides, I guess I do prefer the RED CHOWER, but I did have the white last night. :D