PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Sunday, January 29

Teach
01-29-2017, 12:02 PM
Race One:

This gelding gets off to a slow start. That concerns me, but he’s turning back; that’s a plus. This aged gelding has even competed in the Grade II Kona Gold, last spring. He’s definitely faced better. There’s a whole lot to like, but there also “ifs”. I don’t know about you, but this Midnight Lute-bred seems to be “head and shoulders” over the rest of field. This doesn’t mean he necessarily wins, mind you. His trainer, A.C. Avila (not be confused with former Cleveland Indians second-baseman, Bobby “Beto” Avila) has a solid record when going sprint to route. Yet, on the other hand, Avila has a decidedly shabby mark when entering horses, second off a layoff. Aaron Gryder is in the irons (it doesn’t seem like that many years ago, almost nine, since Gryder won the Dubai World Cup by fourteen lengths aboard Well Armed). :3: Souper Knight. Others: :4: , :1: , :2:

Race Two:

She’s a 4 year-old Freud-bred filly out of the Bruce Brown barn. She’s winless – as the others are – in this MC state-bred route. She drew an outside post (It can be “il bacio di morte,” depending on your running style, on Aqueduct’s Inner), in here last in a similar. Yet, this Storm Cat-bred managed to finish third. By the way, this filly’s broodmare, Uppity, had seven winners, including two stakes winner, out of ten foals that made it to the races. Not too shabby! This filly’s jock is Antonio Gallardo, who, not that long ago, competed for most wins in a year. I believe, at last, this filly catches both a smaller field and a much better starting post. Those two factors alone enhances this filly’s chances. :3: Celtic Serenade. Others: :1: , :8: , :4:

Race Three:

In this start of the carry-over Pick-6 (only an 8-race card), I just can’t bet the perceived favorite whom I view as vulnerable. As far as horse racing is concerned, I’m all about value, value and more value. This 4 year-old Giant’s Causeway-bred gelding, who last raced in a route (there’s that outside post, again; this gelding expended most of his energy trying to make the lead and had nothing left in the tank for the stretch drive), now shortens up to six panels. The gelding’s trainer, Gary Gullo, does well with horses who compete in sprint-route-sprint racing patterns. The gelding will be out and going when the bell sounds and the gates unlatch. He should be in a good stalking position. The journeyman reinsman, Alan Garcia, has his boots in the stirrups. :2: Cause for Surprise. Others: :4: , :6: , :1:

Race Four:

I would tread lightly with this longshot try in a field – for the life of me – that doesn’t have a horse that really sticks out. One thing I will say: This horse can get the distance; frankly, I’m not so sure about some of the others. This well-traveled, 3 year-old colt tried the Aqueduct main in early December; he finished third some fifteen lengths behind the winner. But, as the DRF said, he did “improve” (his position). That effort was against a slightly better field. What troubles here is that this colt has been away from the races for nearly two months. The morning work-tab since then (at least published works) has been thin and nondescript. Jockey Dylan Davis has the call for trainer Hubert Gaffney. :5: Huracan Others: :3: , :1: , :6:

Race Five:

He’s coming back on short rest (You’d think I were talking about a Major League pitcher) and this mare is cutting back from a route to a sprint (a category she’s done very well with). This mare should get the jump on this field. Then, it’ll be up to jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. (as hot as a petardo on The Fourth of July) to ration out this mare’s speed. Ortiz, Jr. had four winners on yesterday’s card. Magnifico! The mare’s trainer, Rudy Rodriguez, is having an excellent Aqueduct meet. Rodriguez does very well with beaten favorites. :7: La Inesperada. Others: :4: , :1: , :2:

Race Six:

I’m going to try to spring the upset. I realize it’s “a gambler’s throw”. Yet, I believe this 6 year-old mare has a chance of upsetting the field and put “lettuce” in your pocket (I prefer Thousand Islands, myself). I would advise and counsel that you tread lightly, here. Everything has to fall into place, just right. But… The jockey is the journeyman, Mike Luzzi. Luzzi still knows how to ride and he’s most capable of booting home a winner when you’d least expect it. The mare’s trainer is the most capable Chris Englehart. Englehart does very well in most racing categories. To bolster my confidence, this mare had a recent, sharp 4-panels work, handily. :3: Unrepented. Others: :10: , :9: , :7:

Race Seven:

Frankie Pennington brings his tack up from “The City of Brotherly Love” to take part in the non-graded state-bred stakes, The Maddie May. I believe this one mile and 70 route serves this 3 year-old filly to a tee. My only gnawing concern: Is it “A Bridge Too Far”. I know this filly can get seven panels and even one mile. Pennington is going to have to ration out this filly’s speed and endurance very, very carefully if she’s to grace the “Big A” winner’s circle. Frankly, I’d tread cautious;y. Although I’m picking her on top, I’m definitely “buying insurance” when it comes to covering myself in exotics. A word to the wise is sufficient. Robert Reid, Jr. trains this daughter of Colonel John. :4: Bree’s Got Heart. Others: :6: , :5: , :1:

Race Eight:

In the finale (I hope you’re alive in the Pick-6), I’m looking at a horse who should catch her fair share of the betting pool. She’s a 4 year-old chestnut filly out of Blue Indygo by Summer Bird (Birdstone). She’s trained by “The Hall-of-Famer,” Bill Mott. This filly could do little against much better in her last start, a 6-panels allowance sprint, on Dec. 31. This filly now drops down into a claiming field that she should be able to prevail over. One note of caution: This filly is stretching out to a route, yet I believe her pedigree says that she should handle the added distance (she broke her maiden at seven panels). Bill Mott has added blinkers; it’s 2nd time Lasix. The jock is “The King of Philadelphia,” Liston, LA’s Kendrick Carmouche. :8: Perina’s Pride. Others: :9: , :1: , :2:

Teach
01-29-2017, 12:18 PM
This is a fun race; you're not going to make money unless you bet multi-race exotics.