PDA

View Full Version : "We'll run it up the flagpole..."

Teach
01-29-2017, 06:44 AM
“We’ll run it up the flagpole…,” my boss at the advertising firm said. I had just suggested an idea to him for a radio commercial.

It was the summer of 1963. I was about to enter my senior year in college. I was then working over that summer at a Boston advertising firm. I was hired to come up with creative ideas to help sell the firm’s clients’ products and/or services. I remember presenting an idea to my boss on a catchy slogan to promote one of the firm’s clients, a bank.

“How does this sound?” I said to my boss, as I prepared to read the copy aloud: “Pounds, francs, rubles, rupees, punts, drachmas…Whatever you call money. Whenever you need money, think fast. Think first. Think First Federal Savings. You’re one-stop place for all your banking needs…” (There were more lines promoting drive-up windows, hours, etc., but you get the picture).

For those of you not familiar with the expression, “We’ll run it up the flagpole…,” it’s comparable to sending up “a trial balloon”. The complete phrase was: “We’ll run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it”.

Well (you know my writing style), I bringing back that old advertising slogan and fast-forwarding it over 50 years to the present.

As I look at the new fast-paced Trump administration, just a little over a week old, it brings to mind that advertising concept.

Walls, immigration, health care, lobbying, homeland security, etc. The list goes on. “We’ll run it up the flagpole…” Yet, I believe that this current approach can be fraught with peril. We’re not on Madison Avenue any more, Todo! Some of these trial balloons create ire. Anger. Even, outrage. Maybe that’s what they’re supposed to do. Stir up the pot. Break with convention. Yes, I guess President Trump has a way of shaking things up. Yet, I would caution that when you shake up matters up too much, things can get out of control.

As for that old advertising slogan, it’s pretty much a thing of the past. Oh, there were sequels like: “We’ll throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.” How ‘bout a new one: “We’ll Trump it and see if anyone bids.”

Tom
01-29-2017, 09:26 AM
I'd stick to your flagpole.

Jess Hawsen Arown
01-29-2017, 02:25 PM
“We’ll run it up the flagpole…,” my boss at the advertising firm said. I had just suggested an idea to him for a radio commercial.

It was the summer of 1963. I was about to enter my senior year in college. I was then working over that summer at a Boston advertising firm. I was hired to come up with creative ideas to help sell the firm’s clients’ products and/or services. I remember presenting an idea to my boss on a catchy slogan to promote one of the firm’s clients, a bank.

“How does this sound?” I said to my boss, as I prepared to read the copy aloud: “Pounds, francs, rubles, rupees, punts, drachmas…Whatever you call money. Whenever you need money, think fast. Think first. Think First Federal Savings. You’re one-stop place for all your banking needs…” (There were more lines promoting drive-up windows, hours, etc., but you get the picture).

For those of you not familiar with the expression, “We’ll run it up the flagpole…,” it’s comparable to sending up “a trial balloon”. The complete phrase was: “We’ll run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it”.

Well (you know my writing style), I bringing back that old advertising slogan and fast-forwarding it over 50 years to the present.

As I look at the new fast-paced Trump administration, just a little over a week old, it brings to mind that advertising concept.

Walls, immigration, health care, lobbying, homeland security, etc. The list goes on. “We’ll run it up the flagpole…” Yet, I believe that this current approach can be fraught with peril. We’re not on Madison Avenue any more, Todo! Some of these trial balloons create ire. Anger. Even, outrage. Maybe that’s what they’re supposed to do. Stir up the pot. Break with convention. Yes, I guess President Trump has a way of shaking things up. Yet, I would caution that when you shake up matters up too much, things can get out of control.

As for that old advertising slogan, it’s pretty much a thing of the past. Oh, there were sequels like: “We’ll throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.” How ‘bout a new one: “We’ll Trump it and see if anyone bids.”

Wow. As disappointed I was with the Obama presidency, I was able to get on with my life.

Your obsession with the obliteration of the Democratic Party by the people of the United States requires you take a step back and realize that America reacted to the 8 year Obama nightmare with a vengeance.

WE THE PEOPLE don't give a rat's patoot by the mindless distortions by the liberals, their media and the Hollywood elites. We won. You lost. And we will no longer give credence to word play used to try to impact the actions of our President.

Those deceitful games did not work during the election process and they will not work now. All that it accomplishes is enabling left wingers of the same mind to tell each other how smart they are while President Trump takes action on his promises that got him elected.

So far, he is doing a GREAT job and to quote our previous first lady, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback..." Unfortunately her words did not apply when she said them, but they sure as hell do now.

HalvOnHorseracing
01-29-2017, 05:05 PM
We’re not on Madison Avenue any more, Todo!
Todo is Spanish for "all." So if you Mexico waiter asks you if you want anything else and you are done with the meal, Es todo would be the response.

Toto, on the other hand was Dorothy's dog in the Wizard of Oz, prompting the famous line, "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

While I'm thinking about it, Tonto was the name of the Lone Ranger's Indian sidekick. Many people have pointed out it means "stupid" in Spanish. Those are the good old days many here long for, the days when you could call your sidekick Tonto and nobody blinked.

MONEY
01-29-2017, 06:00 PM
“We’ll run it up the flagpole…,”
[IMG]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/Simulcaster/MadMagazine-WhatYouMeanWe_zpsqwpqaqym.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Simulcaster/media/MadMagazine-WhatYouMeanWe_zpsqwpqaqym.jpg.html)