PDA

View Full Version : Pete Aiello

Bigadam119
01-29-2017, 02:40 AM
I think he's a very solid race caller, however I don't think he's the guy for a big time race. He didn't do anything for me today with the Pegasus call.

EMD4ME
01-29-2017, 02:40 AM
I think he's a very solid race caller, however I don't think he's the guy for a big time race. He didn't do anything for me today with the Pegasus call.

To me, anyone but Tom Durkin, leaves me unsatisfied in these monster races.

thaskalos
01-29-2017, 03:03 AM
To me, anyone but Tom Durkin, leaves me unsatisfied in these monster races.

I agree! :ThmbUp:

Here's a Durkin stretch run that brings tears to my eyes even after almost 7 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrlkoBPT7k

EMD4ME
01-29-2017, 03:32 AM

Here's a Durkin stretch run that brings tears to my eyes even after almost 7 years.

I agree :ThmbUp:

Here's a TD stretch run that brings tears to my eyes as well after almost 7 years.

XqFFnm6C9oY

Jack950
01-29-2017, 06:07 AM
Yeah Like Aiello. He's a solid race caller. Best one in the business now is Larry Collmus imo. Durkin one of all time greats. My favorite call by him was the 2004 Belmont when Birdstone won. Classic.

EMD4ME
01-29-2017, 06:13 AM
Yeah Like Aiello. He's a solid race caller. Best one in the business now is Larry Collmus imo. Durkin one of all time greats. My favorite call by him was the 2004 Belmont when Birdstone won. Classic.

Collmus is just a yeller and feels scripted. I wish Vic or Tony "There they go" got the NYRA job.

whisperlunch
01-29-2017, 07:34 AM
Aiello did a fine job. I'm glad they allowed him to call it. They gave the new guy a chance and he did great. Off topic but I'm surprised Collmus would give up the winter gig at Gulfstream.

Bigadam119
01-29-2017, 11:14 AM

Agreed with Larry, I like his calls and think he does a great job in the big moments give or take a few blunders (Wood Memrial and BC Distaff last year).

I also like Kurt Becker at Keeneland and obviously Trevor as long as he's still at it.

AltonKelsey
01-29-2017, 10:43 PM
Haven't paid much attention to Aiello , but he called a race today with a loose horse and did a great job of it.

I like his style and his voice.

Not a big Collmus fan.

chenoa
01-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Prefer Collmus over at GP rather than at NYRA tracks. :p

Travis Stone has grown on me, enjoy his calls.

Vic came back as strong as ever. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Zaf
01-29-2017, 11:47 PM
I think Aiello did just fine :ThmbUp:

Z

ultracapper
01-30-2017, 03:27 AM

Wasn't Smith on the winner and Sutherland on Baffert's runnerup? Just another instance of Mike on top.

FrankieFigs
01-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Aiello has quickly become one of my favorites. Very descriptive and clear calls.

anotherCAfan
01-30-2017, 06:26 PM
I enjoyed hearing Pete Aiello call the race, as opposed to having Larry Collmus forced upon us yet again. (I was surprised NBC didn't request Larry Collmus call the race.)

I would imagine Larry Collmus is a nice guy, and I don't think he is a bad racecaller... but I much prefer the calls of Wrona, Denman, and Stauffer (Durkin when he was around).

paulbenny
01-30-2017, 09:00 PM
I watch at least 100 plus races a week and many many replaces of the old classics. Vic is extremely talented, clear and smooth. Pete A. is nasal and raspy. He is OK, and in terms of retrospective views, well, I have to say that even Marshall Cassidy is fine because of his clear and concise voice. He was smooth. I think the problem, my guess, is, well, not many guys go into this. Stone is very smooth and understandable.

I would rather have clear and concise, than Larry C. who is a bit like "I am going to make this exciting" but Durkin meant it and so does Frank with the long name. So if they mean it like TD then they are excused for errors, vs. faking it. I guess LC does not sound so sincere. TD must love it.

Rollingpk3
01-30-2017, 09:16 PM
time to lose talking about the pk 4 pool size and how there is still time to get involved as they are half loaded on the gate.

EMD4ME
01-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Having an awesome race be called by anyone who is not AWESOME, is akin to an awesome shot (photo) being taken by a rookie photographer with a 1958 camera. It ruins the moment.

Tiznow wins it for America
In a RACE THAT doesn't deserve a loser.
Slambiiiiiiiiino 88 to OOOOONEEEEE

The incomparable........Cigar

and Smarty Jones, ENTERS the stretch to the RRRRROAR of 120,000.....

It's been 26 years, we're just 1 furlong away but Birdstone looms an upset threat.

Kent Desourmeaux EMPLORING REAL QUIET to hold........(as you hear Kent screaming to Real Quiet).

A picture is worth a thousands words.....This photo, is worth FIVE MILLION DOLLARS. oh no, HISTORY on hold, till we get the results of that photo.

His increase of tone, use of vocabulary were second to none.

I can only imagine what Durkin would've done with AP's win in the Belmont and Arrogates last surge in the BCC.

Both those races deserved a Tom Durkinesque call to fully capture the moment.

Solid calls? Yes. Durkinesque calls? Not by a longshot.

thaskalos
01-30-2017, 09:46 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I would take Trevor, Wrona and Geller over Durkin...ANYDAY.

EMD4ME
01-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I would take Trevor, Wrona and Geller over Durkin...ANYDAY.

I know :ThmbUp: , I'm not saying you have to agree or anyone has to agree. We all have different tastes.

dilanesp
01-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Having an awesome race be called by anyone who is not AWESOME, is akin to an awesome shot (photo) being taken by a rookie photographer with a 1958 camera. It ruins the moment.

Tiznow wins it for America
In a RACE THAT doesn't deserve a loser.
Slambiiiiiiiiino 88 to OOOOONEEEEE

The incomparable........Cigar

and Smarty Jones, ENTERS the stretch to the RRRRROAR of 120,000.....

It's been 26 years, we're just 1 furlong away but Birdstone looms an upset threat.

Kent Desourmeaux EMPLORING REAL QUIET to hold........(as you hear Kent screaming to Real Quiet).

A picture is worth a thousands words.....This photo, is worth FIVE MILLION DOLLARS. oh no, HISTORY on hold, till we get the results of that photo.

His increase of tone, use of vocabulary were second to none.

I can only imagine what Durkin would've done with AP's win in the Belmont and Arrogates last surge in the BCC.

Both those races deserved a Tom Durkinesque call to fully capture the moment.

Solid calls? Yes. Durkinesque calls? Not by a longshot.

EMD, this is just a weird post. Many of the greatest horses in history were called by Fred Capossella in New York. He called Tom Fool, Buckpasser, Dr. Fager, Damascus, Sword Dancer, Kelso, and Shuvee, among others. And you would have hated him. There were no Durkin flourishes. And yet films are availabile of all these horses and you can see how great they were.

Capossella called what many older fans considered the greatest race in New York history-- the 10 furlong long 1962 speed duel between Jaipur and Ridan in the Travers, which resulted in a close photo finish.

You should watch this footage. It's very good. And you can see what an amazing race this was. But the call is pedestrian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvny8QwMuaw

Similarly, many of the greatest horses in California were called by Harry Henson. Henson was better than Capossella, but he wasn't a dramatic announcer by any means. And yet, I can still appreciate Native Diver's three Hollywood Gold Cups.

The greatest race in Southern California history, the 1950 Hollywood Gold Cup, was called by Hal Moore. Hal Moore was borrrrrring. But I still think Noor rushing by all those great horses is spectacular.

Tons of awesome races were called by non-awesome callers. The races were still awesome.

EMD4ME
01-30-2017, 11:29 PM
EMD, this is just a weird post. Many of the greatest horses in history were called by Fred Capossella in New York. He called Tom Fool, Buckpasser, Dr. Fager, Damascus, Sword Dancer, Kelso, and Shuvee, among others. And you would have hated him. There were no Durkin flourishes. And yet films are availabile of all these horses and you can see how great they were.

Capossella called what many older fans considered the greatest race in New York history-- the 10 furlong long 1962 speed duel between Jaipur and Ridan in the Travers, which resulted in a close photo finish.

You should watch this footage. It's very good. And you can see what an amazing race this was. But the call is pedestrian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvny8QwMuaw

Similarly, many of the greatest horses in California were called by Harry Henson. Henson was better than Capossella, but he wasn't a dramatic announcer by any means. And yet, I can still appreciate Native Diver's three Hollywood Gold Cups.

The greatest race in Southern California history, the 1950 Hollywood Gold Cup, was called by Hal Moore. Hal Moore was borrrrrring. But I still think Noor rushing by all those great horses is spectacular.

Tons of awesome races were called by non-awesome callers. The races were still awesome.

Sorry, I wasn't around for those races. All I know is what I know from 1979 on. Yes, I can watch them on Youtube but I didn't live them. I honestly feel the BC has never been the same (from a fan perspective) as well as the Derby, Preakness and Belmont ever since Durkin retired. I am not kidding. As a fan, it's missing the final touch.

Like Wrestlemania, the product without the awesome announcing is just not the same.

Gibson's homer against the Mets: She is gooooone (In scully's once in a lifetime voice) added the 1 cherry to that awesome game. Let's say I call that game, the moment is just a bit tainted.

What can I say? It's how I feel. I can't control that.

1 last thought. Tiznow, Belmont 2001. 9/10 other announcers would've said : too close to call. Durkin's cadence, tone changes, words and ending were simply PERFECT.

(Sakhee) And he storms to the lead, Sakhee a narrow lead....and Tiznow is BATTLING On, the AMERICAN HORSE OF THE YEAR and the Arc Winner are heads apart with a furlong to go in the Classic. On the outside Sakhee, Tiznow FIIIIGHTS ON, here's the wire, DESPERATELY CLOSE.....

TIZNOW WINS IT FOR AMERICA !!!!!!

After the wire.......A heroic stretch drive that will go on in Breeders Cup Legend...

Mr. Durkin: You too will forever go on...in Breeder's Cup Legend.

H0QqdYJeCts

dilanesp
01-31-2017, 12:07 AM
Sorry, I wasn't around for those races. All I know is what I know from 1979 on. Yes, I can watch them on Youtube but I didn't live them. I honestly feel the BC has never been the same (from a fan perspective) as well as the Derby, Preakness and Belmont ever since Durkin retired. I am not kidding. As a fan, it's missing the final touch.

Like Wrestlemania, the product without the awesome announcing is just not the same.

Gibson's homer against the Mets: She is gooooone (In scully's once in a lifetime voice) added the 1 cherry to that awesome game. Let's say I call that game, the moment is just a bit tainted.

What can I say? It's how I feel. I can't control that.

1 last thought. Tiznow, Belmont 2001. 9/10 other announcers would've said : too close to call. Durkin's cadence, tone changes, words and ending were simply PERFECT.

(Sakhee) And he storms to the lead, Sakhee a narrow lead....and Tiznow is BATTLING On, the AMERICAN HORSE OF THE YEAR and the Arc Winner are heads apart with a furlong to go in the Classic. On the outside Sakhee, Tiznow FIIIIGHTS ON, here's the wire, DESPERATELY CLOSE.....

TIZNOW WINS IT FOR AMERICA !!!!!!

After the wire.......A heroic stretch drive that will go on in Breeders Cup Legend...

Mr. Durkin: You too will forever go on...in Breeder's Cup Legend.

H0QqdYJeCts

I attended that BC, bet Tiznow, and couldn't hear a word Durkin was saying (and indeed didn't hear his call until years later). I was still excited. :)

EMD4ME
01-31-2017, 12:27 AM
I attended that BC, bet Tiznow, and couldn't hear a word Durkin was saying (and indeed didn't hear his call until years later). I was still excited. :)

I agree. I remember not being able to hear myself scream when Birdstone passed Smarty Jones BUT when I went back to relive the moment, it was SO AMAZING to refeel it with Durkin's call. Nothing worse seeing an amazing race, going back to rewatch it and hearing a yawning call :sleeping: .

I think you get my point, just like I do yours :ThmbUp:

menifee
01-31-2017, 01:26 AM
I like Pete - one of my favorite announcers. Clean precise calls. Here is a good one. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=0dquWnOA4ks

sour grapes
01-31-2017, 08:17 AM
gibson home run was not against the mets,it was in the world series against
oakland after the dodgers upset the mets.I remember that like it was yesterday.

EMD4ME
01-31-2017, 09:23 AM
gibson home run was not against the mets,it was in the world series against
oakland after the dodgers upset the mets.I remember that like it was yesterday.

my bad...1000% right. I have blacked out my met losses. Crossed wires :lol:

Bigadam119
01-31-2017, 12:36 PM
I like Pete - one of my favorite announcers. Clean precise calls. Here is a good one. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=0dquWnOA4ks

I do like Pete as well. He does a good job and as mentioned before is clear and concise. I just don't think he has the capture the moment style that make these big races even more memorable.

menifee
01-31-2017, 09:25 PM
I do like Pete as well. He does a good job and as mentioned before is clear and concise. I just don't think he has the capture the moment style that make these big races even more memorable.

I agree with that. He is who he is though and doesn't try to be something he's not. Sometimes it is nice to have a guy just call the race without the histrionics. There's only one Durkin. A lot of guys try to scream and yell during big races and it simply does not work.

jballscalls
01-31-2017, 09:52 PM

I would say that IMO the guys who do capture the moment the best also had years of those big moments to gain experience in said situations. Pete has really had two what I would call "big" races. The ARKY Derby and now this one.

I personally liked the Pegasus call but also feel that given more experience on the big stage Pete will continue to flourish.

*bias alert, Pete is a friend, but my comments do reflect my honest feelings.

dilanesp
01-31-2017, 10:11 PM
I would say that IMO the guys who do capture the moment the best also had years of those big moments to gain experience in said situations. Pete has really had two what I would call "big" races. The ARKY Derby and now this one.

This is quite correct. Vin Scully's call of the Gibson home run was mentioned upthread. But he had a lot of practice by then. Early on, he called Don Larsen's perfect game, and while he wasn't terrible, he wasn't nearly as good as he became later. He made a couple of pretty bad mistakes on the call and also just didn't hype it enough (because of baseball superstition about "jinxing" the pitcher, which he dropped later).

The first time I heard Tom Durkin was in 1984 (the 1984 Flamingo Stakes, actually). And he was quite good. But he wasn't nearly as colorful as he became later. Watch the 1984 Breeders' Cup Distaff and how he calls Princess Rooney's win-- if he had that race 10 or even 5 years later, he would have given it a lot more emphasis than he did.

Aiello may not want to become another Durkin or Denman. Remember, not every announcer is like that. Plenty of them prefer steady and non-histrionic calls (like the late Luke Kruytbosch used to do). But if he chooses that route, he'll develop his style over multiple big races in the future.

SuperPickle
02-01-2017, 02:18 AM
I feel like all announcing threads wind up back at Durkin. Can we all just agree he's the greatest race caller ever? He's to racing calling what Baffert is to three year old colts. A man among boys.

With that out of the way I think Pete is doing much better than anticipated. Out of people currently calling races in January 2017 he's as good as anyone outside of Trevor.

dilanesp
02-01-2017, 12:53 PM
I feel like all announcing threads wind up back at Durkin. Can we all just agree he's the greatest race caller ever? He's to racing calling what Baffert is to three year old colts. A man among boys.

I don't agree with that at all. Durkin was good but highly overrated. I don't like screamers in any sport.

PaceAdvantage
02-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Durkin was by no means a "screamer" in the vein of a Vic Stauffer or Larry Collmus...

Durkin, in his prime, was announcing perfection personified, plain and simple.

I know thask will always go back to the 2010 Belmont in his attempt to cut Durkin down, but that's like saying Michael Jordan sucked as a basketball player because of his two years playing for the Wizards...

dilanesp
02-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Durkin was by no means a "screamer" in the vein of a Vic Stauffer or Larry Collmus...

I know thask will always go back to the 2010 Belmont in his attempt to cut Durkin down, but that's like saying Michael Jordan sucked as a basketball player because of his two years playing for the Wizards...

Of course Durkin screamed. Go watch the 1987 Breeders Cup Juvenile (I pick that race because it wasn't a very exciting or important race, but Durkin's voice cracked at the end of it anyway screaming "yes").

thaskalos
02-07-2017, 12:33 PM

I keep bringing up the 2010 Belmont to show how objectivity goes out the window when the conversation turns to anything concerning Durkin. Even at the twilight of his career, when his skills had obviously diminished, there were esteemed posters here who were declaring that Durkin was STILL "miles ahead" of everybody else in race announcing. After the 2010 Belmont...even JustRalph came onto this board to tell us that Durkin's call was "Great"...although it obviously sucked on so many levels. "First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his...he stretches those long legs...furlong after powerful furlong"...such commentating is just silly, IMO...even without the hilarity at the end of the race.

Durkin was great...but he was butchering calls with regularity in NY the last few years of his career, and he had obviously reached a point where he just didn't deserve the high accolades that his nostalgic fans were showering him with during his twilight years. Even at the end, most members here were saying that Durkin was still way better than Michael Wrona...and that was clearly insulting to Michael Wrona.

Even an icon eventually loses its luster...and the many Durkin faithful just couldn't bring themselves to admit that about the former announcing legend.

PaceAdvantage
02-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Of course Durkin screamed. Go watch the 1987 Breeders Cup Juvenile (I pick that race because it wasn't a very exciting or important race, but Durkin's voice cracked at the end of it anyway screaming "yes").There is subtlety to my prior reply which you seemed to miss. I didn't say Durkin never "screamed." I said he wasn't a "screamer" like Collmus or Stauffer. Durkin has a deep, baritone voice and his "screaming" doesn't come off quite as shrill (and annoying) as Collmus, especially.

I didn't mean to imply that Durkin never raised his volume at the end of his calls.

AltonKelsey
02-07-2017, 04:40 PM
No love here for Collmus at all, and he's IMPROVED the last few years.

SuperPickle
02-07-2017, 05:22 PM
I don't agree with that at all. Durkin was good but highly overrated. I don't like screamers in any sport.

I'll be here quietly sitting in the corner waiting for a list of announcers better than Durkin.

Btw... calling him highly overrated is insane especially given the current state of racetrack announcing.

dilanesp
02-08-2017, 11:16 AM
I'll be here quietly sitting in the corner waiting for a list of announcers better than Durkin.

Btw... calling him highly overrated is insane especially given the current state of racetrack announcing.

It is a matter of taste, but I like Wrona, Trevor, Kruytbosch, Harry Henson, Marshall Cassidy, Robert Geller, and a few others. I think Collmus is pretty good too, but I liked him better when he was at second tier tracks.

Durkin was a good announcer, especially early in his career. But I don't think he was better than Stauffer or Dave Johnson or Rodman, let alone the people I mention above.

I will say this- Durkin was the best harness announcer i ever heard.

outofthebox
02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
It is a matter of taste, but I like Wrona, Trevor, Kruytbosch, Harry Henson, Marshall Cassidy, Robert Geller, and a few others. I think Collmus is pretty good too, but I liked him better when he was at second tier tracks.

Durkin was a good announcer, especially early in his career. But I don't think he was better than Stauffer or Dave Johnson or Rodman, let alone the people I mention above.

I will say this- Durkin was the best harness announcer i ever heard.I grew up listening to Chick Anderson and Dave Johnson at SA, Harry Henson doing HP and Del Mar. I also enjoyed the calls of Robin Burns at HP harness.

cj
02-08-2017, 12:23 PM
I grew up listening to Chick Anderson and Dave Johnson at SA, Harry Henson doing HP and Del Mar. I also enjoyed the calls of Robin Burns at HP harness.

I remember Robin calling in Maryland, both harness and thoroughbreds. He still calling races anywhere?

EDIT: Did a quick search, looks like he is in North Carolina in the golf business.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-robin-burns-869b4214

Wickel
02-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Agree that Durkin is king. He has (or had) no equal). But I disagree with many on Collmus. When you consider accuracy, excitement, flow and voice, he's at the top right now. Stauffer has always been an upper-echelon caller and John Dooley and Rodman are decent. The most underrated racecaller is Kurt Becker at Keeneland. He possess a unique style and voice and more than gets the job done. Travis Stone goes through the motions, Wrona still collared with too much of a European style (too many odd phrases, and I say this respectfully), and Aiello and Espinosa (CT) sound like they just finished a stint on The Price is Right!

Harry Henson always wintered at Sunland Park, and I was privileged to hear his work back in the day.

thaskalos
02-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Agree that Durkin is king. He has (or had) no equal). But I disagree with many on Collmus. When you consider accuracy, excitement, flow and voice, he's at the top right now. Stauffer has always been an upper-echelon caller and John Dooley and Rodman are decent. The most underrated racecaller is Kurt Becker at Keeneland. He possess a unique style and voice and more than gets the job done. Travis Stone goes through the motions, Wrona still collared with too much of a European style (too many odd phrases, and I say this respectfully), and Aiello and Espinosa (CT) sound like they just finished a stint on The Price is Right!

Harry Henson always wintered at Sunland Park, and I was privileged to hear his work back in the day.

To me...Vic Stauffer's announcing has been decidedly less than stellar so far at Oaklawn.

dilanesp
02-08-2017, 05:08 PM
To me...Vic Stauffer's announcing has been decidedly less than stellar so far at Oaklawn.

I haven't heard much of him at Oaklawn (just a couple of big stakes), but I did hear him at Fresno last year and he certainly was a bit rusty-- he had some good moments and some, um, not so good ones.

cj
02-08-2017, 05:33 PM

I think Vic would probably admit that himself. I've noticed some mistakes and some long, uncomfortable pauses. I'm willing to chalk it up to rust and learning a new track. Let see how he does from here on.

SuperPickle
02-08-2017, 11:29 PM
I think Vic would probably admit that himself. I've noticed some mistakes and some long, uncomfortable pauses. I'm willing to chalk it up to rust and learning a new track. Let see how he does from here on.

I've never called a race but spent a few hundred hours talking to race callers and two things I know is its one of those abilities that erodes without use. Vic hadn't called a race in what 3-4 years? I'm sure he'll be back to mid season form in another month.

Second, the track matters. Even the best announcer in the world isn't going to hit the ground running having never called a race at a track.

I think come their big races in April we'll see old Vic.

castaway01
02-09-2017, 06:35 AM
I've never called a race but spent a few hundred hours talking to race callers and two things I know is its one of those abilities that erodes without use. Vic hadn't called a race in what 3-4 years? I'm sure he'll be back to mid season form in another month.

Second, the track matters. Even the best announcer in the world isn't going to hit the ground running having never called a race at a track.

This may be a bad example to use because of everything he's been through, but you could hear it with Larry Lederman. When he first started filling in again at Parx, you could tell he was rusty. After a few racecards he was more like his old self. I'm sure it will happen for Vic too.

outofthebox
02-09-2017, 07:45 AM

I think come their big races in April we'll see old Vic.Agree. Plus i think it's difficult for him to be calling huge fields race after race. Big difference than preparing for the small California fields. I'm sure he well get back in synch soon..

EMD4ME
02-09-2017, 08:00 AM
This may be a bad example to use because of everything he's been through, but you could hear it with Larry Lederman. When he first started filling in again at Parx, you could tell he was rusty. After a few racecards he was more like his old self. I'm sure it will happen for Vic too.

Castaway01, Welcome back man :ThmbUp: You were missed. :ThmbUp:

jballscalls
02-09-2017, 09:20 AM

I used to call races and totally agree with much of this. Even just a couple months off can really take it's toll on your memorization and just getting thoughts to your mouth. I was scheduled to do a fill in gig recently and started practicing again just off the tv, and I am on about a 20 month layoff and it felt like I was trying to ice skate for the first time. It was bad. If I ever announce again i'm definitely gonna take weeks/months prepping if possible.

Other thing that's tricky when you move tracks/circuits is you just don't know the silks, the horses, the names, anything. That's one reason i've always admired Kurt Becker cause he comes off a long layoff every time he calls and ALWAYS sounds fresh.

EMD4ME
02-09-2017, 09:30 AM
I used to call races and totally agree with much of this. Even just a couple months off can really take it's toll on your memorization and just getting thoughts to your mouth. I was scheduled to do a fill in gig recently and started practicing again just off the tv, and I am on about a 20 month layoff and it felt like I was trying to ice skate for the first time. It was bad. If I ever announce again i'm definitely gonna take weeks/months prepping if possible.

Other thing that's tricky when you move tracks/circuits is you just don't know the silks, the horses, the names, anything. That's one reason i've always admired Kurt Becker cause he comes off a long layoff every time he calls and ALWAYS sounds fresh.

You're not announcing anywhere :( ?

That's insane.

jballscalls
02-09-2017, 10:01 AM
You're not announcing anywhere :( ?

That's insane.

I went 0 for 7 on applications last year so doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon. But honestly I love my gig at BetAmerica so it's all good. BA has said though if I want to go call a meet and do my show at the same time they're fine with it.

Run Nicholas Run
02-09-2017, 03:46 PM
I dont care for Pete' s calls.
I think he sounds like he is gasping
for air and has a stuffy nose.
His calls suck and Dave Rodman and Keith Jones
are better callers than him. Heck I can do a better
job calling the gulfstream races from my computer
screen.

jballscalls
02-09-2017, 07:00 PM
. Heck I can do a better
screen.

post a link! Always love hearing new voices

EMD4ME
02-09-2017, 07:33 PM
post a link! Always love hearing new voices

I love new voices too! Let's hear it!

dilanesp
02-09-2017, 09:55 PM
I love new voices too! Let's hear it!

If he posts this, and someone can give the instructions for recording myself calling a race off the video at Santa Anita, I will post one too. (I never announced horse racing, but I did plenty of PA at track meets so I am sure I could call a race if I had to (although no way would I be in the league of ANY of the people mentioned in this thread).)

no breathalyzer
02-09-2017, 11:23 PM
screen.
You just named 2 of the top announcers game doesn't mean pete sucks... and i would guess no you can't do better then him.. if i'm wrong hope you get a job tomarrow.. '' OVER THE TOP!''

HuggingTheRail
02-10-2017, 01:50 AM
I'm always hearing new voices....

EMD4ME
02-10-2017, 07:25 AM
I'm always hearing new voices....
:lol: :lol: :lol: laugh out loud for real :lol:

comet52
02-11-2017, 11:35 AM
All racecaller threads must eventually circle around to the subject of Richard Grunder. Just admit, you all have a secret crush on him. ;) Collmus? Bah. Durkin... who? Aiello..fuggedaboutit. Vic... Tayback? Huh? Grunder leaves them all gasping for air.

Track Phantom
02-11-2017, 02:57 PM
screen.
There is always going to be a segment of the public that tears down those in the public eye. This comment is typical of someone who has never done anything of substance and has a distorted opinion of themselves.

If you actually post an audio of a race call you made, I'll be ready to retract my statement. But you won't. You'll choose to remain anonymous and take pot shots at those trying to make a living in the public eye, who, by the way, are an extremely easy target for those who travel the low road.

I'd love to know what you do for a living. I bet you keep a keen eye on where the minimum wage laws shake out.

I have zero respect for people that spew this kind of drivel. Zero.

dilanesp
02-11-2017, 03:17 PM
There is always going to be a segment of the public that tears down those in the public eye. This comment is typical of someone who has never done anything of substance and has a distorted opinion of themselves.

If you actually post an audio of a race call you made, I'll be ready to retract my statement. But you won't. You'll choose to remain anonymous and take pot shots at those trying to make a living in the public eye, who, by the way, are an extremely easy target for those who travel the low road.

I'd love to know what you do for a living. I bet you keep a keen eye on where the minimum wage laws shake out.

To be just an OK race announcer, you need serious elocution skills, a very good memory, and the ability to think on your feet.

To be Tom Durkin, or Trevor, or Wrona, or whoever is considered a "top" announcer, you need all those things PLUS the ability to notice trouble, jockeys' and horses' actions, and winning moves, plus the ability to come up with the absolute right thing to say on the spur of the moment.

It is a very difficult job.

thaskalos
02-11-2017, 03:52 PM

IMO...it's perfectly acceptable to criticize those "in the public eye" who are doing a mediocre job compared to the "better" members of their profession. Speaking for myself...I expect the race announcer to be able to keep a steady cadence, without obvious errors and awkward pauses in his delivery. If the announcer can't do that, then I will criticize him...even if I can't do his job better myself.

When I order food at a restaurant, and my order is unsatisfactory...must I prove that I can cook better than the restaurant chef before I voice my disapproval?

whisperlunch
02-11-2017, 05:23 PM
I've heard Vic a few times this year and only a couple of pauses but he's still great. Oaklawn lucky to have him. Aiello is doing a great job also. I don't get why people are criticizing him. He's fine. I understand criticizing VIC cause he's an extreme flaming liberal but his race calling is great. :)
Not to beat a dead horse but Tampa guy is awful and oh jeez thank heaven battaglia retired.

Run Nicholas Run
02-11-2017, 08:33 PM
I've heard Vic a few times this year and only a couple of pauses but he's still great. Oaklawn lucky to have him. Aiello is doing a great job also. I don't get why people are criticizing him. He's fine. I understand criticizing VIC cause he's an extreme flaming liberal but his race calling is great. :)
Not to beat a dead horse but Tampa guy is awful and oh jeez thank heaven battaglia retired.

Grunder is dreadful at tampa, john imbriale at nyra is terrible,
anyone of the foreigners are unlistenable .
For the harness guys that a hole at the meadows if he is still
calling is garbage.

Dave Johnson when he started going senile in the mid 80's
was better than these guys at their best.

Frost king
02-12-2017, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=whisperlunch]I've heard Vic a few times this year and only a couple of pauses but he's still great. Oaklawn lucky to have him. Aiello is doing a great job also. I don't get why people are criticizing him. He's fine. I understand criticizing VIC cause he's an extreme flaming liberal but his race calling is great. :)

Have you listened closely to Vic lately, I can't believe the ton of mistakes he makes calling horses down the lane. Says horses are passing another, and you can see clearly it is not the case. Just check out the 6th race on Feb 11/17.

ReplayRandall
02-12-2017, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=whisperlunch]I've heard Vic a few times this year and only a couple of pauses but he's still great. Oaklawn lucky to have him. Aiello is doing a great job also. I don't get why people are criticizing him. He's fine. I understand criticizing VIC cause he's an extreme flaming liberal but his race calling is great. :)

Have you listened closely to Vic lately, I can't believe the ton of mistakes he makes calling horses down the lane. Says horses are passing another, and you can see clearly it is not the case. Just check out the 6th race on Feb 11/17.
Listened to the whole card, not the way I heard/saw it. Vic actually had a good day with only a few pauses here and there:

RACE#6 starts at 16:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AGE3T04gD0

Bigadam119
02-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Agreed, I think Keith is a very underrated race caller.

Mr. Pick 5
02-12-2017, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=Frost king]
Listened to the whole card, not the way I heard/saw it. Vic actually had a good day with only a few pauses here and there:

Deep stretch in race 9 was pretty bad, especially at a pivotal point of the race...i didnt watch or hear his calls from all the races today but happened to hear that one on tv earlier and it wasnt one of his finer moments....from a non biased perspective he makes a lot of pauses where he seems to almost stumble over his words and also has several phrases that i find him constantly repeating...not saying he is bad but he could be a lot better and definitely used to be better...this may get better as he gets more accustomed to oaklawn and gradually gets back in the groove of things....i personally think mirror man did and still does a better job than vic however

ReplayRandall
02-12-2017, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=ReplayRandall]I personally think mirror man did and still does a better job than vic however

He's "insta-mute" for me...:ThmbDown:

EMD4ME
02-12-2017, 11:30 PM
who is mirror man?

ReplayRandall
02-12-2017, 11:35 PM
who is mirror man?
mute-----Frank Mirahmadi----mute

Mr. Pick 5
02-12-2017, 11:49 PM
mute-----Frank Mirahmadi----mute

hes better than vic....maybe that speaks to vic's overall quality if you feel that way....

ReplayRandall
02-13-2017, 12:00 AM
hes better than vic....maybe that speaks to vic's overall quality if you feel that way....
Unfortunately, my favorite announcer is no longer with us----->Luke Kruytbosch..:ThmbUp:

SoCalCircuit
02-13-2017, 12:02 AM

Mirror man also gets the added benefit of replacing Angela Hermann, who was a compete utter disaster. Sylvester Stallone would sound fantastic at GGF in comparison to her.

EMD4ME
02-13-2017, 06:25 AM
Unfortunately, my favorite announcer is no longer with us----->Luke Kruytbosch..:ThmbUp:

I liked Luke as well :(

You didn't like Franks call at Turf Paradise a few years back when he imitated Luke and others in the asta lavista?

dilanesp
02-13-2017, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Frost king]

I always liked Vic, but that race 6 call is poor. Divine Elegance never gets the lead and he has her in front all the way down the stretch.

He is higher and closer than he is used to at Oaklawn- maybe he hasn't figured out the perspective yet.

Frost king
02-13-2017, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=ReplayRandall]

I always liked Vic, but that race 6 call is poor. Divine Elegance never gets the lead and he has her in front all the way down the stretch.

He is higher and closer than he is used to at Oaklawn- maybe he hasn't figured out the perspective yet.

If Angela Hermann had made that call, this board would have exploded!

SuperPickle
02-13-2017, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=ReplayRandall]

Thursday or Friday he called a horse lugging in when clearly the horse inside of him was actually lugging out. I'm talking about 4-5 paths. Enough to see it on the pan. They actually blinked THAT horse and had a brief inquiry.

He's clearly not seeing the ball well right now.

thaskalos
02-13-2017, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=dilanesp]

If Angela Hermann had made that call, this board would have exploded!

Ain't that the truth! :ThmbUp:

ReplayRandall
02-13-2017, 09:06 PM
I liked Luke as well :(

You didn't like Franks call at Turf Paradise a few years back when he imitated Luke and others in the Hasta La Vista?
About halfway through, really starts to grate on my nerves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLxT4vgQ1Q